Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
In your quest to relay information, it's odd that you left this out:

"The number of people in work, both full-time and part-time, reached a record high of 29.87 million in the quarter, up 155,000."
And right after that it also says:

"almost 1.5 million people were part-time because they could not find full-time jobs, the highest figure since records began in 1992."

That's a shocking amount of underemployment.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
In the interest of balance - you must at least qualify that by saying it is anecdotal.

As I have posted earlier, it might be generally OK but if I, for example, were to attempt a return there is a good chance I'd be unemployed for a while. I'd not consider that 'not too bad', at least for the duration.
I suppose it depends what we're comparing it with. Yes, if someone moves to a new country they may not get a job immediately. Surely that's true of many places.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Do what I do, totally ignore, its not worth it.
Agreed.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:53 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Shouldn't that be for you - I'm sure that for some people in the UK the situation is that bad, or worse
In fairness it is in relation to the original post and if using the points made in that post, for the majority it is definitely NO.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:55 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I suppose it depends what we're comparing it with. Yes, if someone moves to a new country they may not get a job immediately. Surely that's true of many places.
I'm comparing it with the fact that I have a job here that pays almost twice what I made at my higest salary in the UK and, let's be honest as an unqualified one-out-of-many who is knocking on the door of 35, more than I'd realistically hope to make if I were to go back tomorrow.

I will posit that this is not a question that can be answered with a yes or no, capitalised or otherwise without an asterisk leading (got that one right ) to a caveat such as 'at least for me'.

The bad points and good points effectively cancel each other out and on average, it probably is 'OK' in general. The UK is no better or worse than anywhere else in that regard, though.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 4:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Exactly, you just have to look at the Australian section of this forum for example, you often see posts by migrants desperate for work while others walk straight into a job. I would imagine the same applies virtually everywhere.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:00 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
on that. Not understanding complicated economics or finance, does anyone know whats going on with the GBP-AUS exchange rates since March this year. Has that anything to do with the UK economy improvement?
I don't know what the GBP-AUD is doing, but as far as GBP-USD, the GBP has become stronger largely due to better economic news.

Though explaining or predicting exchange rates is for dummies. When Mark Carney first stepped in as Governor of the Bank of England, one of the first things he said was that interest rates were unlikely to rise any time soon. This was deemed by the so-called experts to explain why the GBP fell against the USD. More recently when he said a similar thing, this was deemed by the so-called experts to be the reason why the GBP rose against the USD. Go figure.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:02 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
In fairness it is in relation to the original post and if using the points made in that post, for the majority it is definitely NO.
For the majority yes, but not everyone and OP's family may live in an area where there is more unrest, and fewer jobs - but you are right, for a lot of people it isn't that bad
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:06 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I thought we had moved on from answering the OP's question as originally framed in Post #1, and since about 30 pages ago we were on to more general discussion about the UK economy, which I would describe as "pretty bad," "not as bad as some places," "not as good as some other places," and "nowhere as bad as it was in the 1980s".

I don't know about anyone else, but the combined effect of inflation plus miniscule pay rises mean I and others in my sector effectively earn about 18%less than 5 years ago. Not great. [Edited to add: But at least I have a job, for which I am grateful]

Generally speaking, I'd say the answer to the question is "It depends on what you mean by THAT bad".

Last edited by dunroving; Oct 16th 2013 at 5:11 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:08 pm
Banned

For the majority yes, but not everyone and OP's family may live in an area where there is more unrest, and fewer jobs - but you are right, for a lot of people it isn't that bad
Of course, I would never say for everyone as even in a paradise you will have those who are doing it tough.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:09 pm
Ping-ponger

I find it mildly interesting that as far as I can see, no-one on the US board seems particularly interested in discussing whether the US economy is bad, despite the fact it is being held ransom by the idiots on capitol Hill, whereas here on MBTTUK, we can't stop ourselves analysing the state of the economy ad nauseum.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:13 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I find it mildly interesting that as far as I can see, no-one on the US board seems particularly interested in discussing whether the US economy is bad, despite the fact it is being held ransom by the idiots on capitol Hill, whereas here on MBTTUK, we can't stop ourselves analysing the state of the economy ad nauseum.
Haven't seen the news for a while - did they get anything sorted today?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen the news for a while - did they get anything sorted today?
This BBC article published a minute or two ago.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's now government as mini-series.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I'm comparing it with the fact that I have a job here that pays almost twice what I made at my higest salary in the UK and, let's be honest as an unqualified one-out-of-many who is knocking on the door of 35, more than I'd realistically hope to make if I were to go back tomorrow.

I will posit that this is not a question that can be answered with a yes or no, capitalised or otherwise without an asterisk leading (got that one right ) to a caveat such as 'at least for me'.

The bad points and good points effectively cancel each other out and on average, it probably is 'OK' in general. The UK is no better or worse than anywhere else in that regard, though.
Whether somewhere is the right move for you personally is a different question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.