Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:25 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by munch
Did it??? No, I didn't realise or even read that but then again it wouldn't have been relevant to my opinion or experiences I was sharing because I wasn't trying to defend crime falling in the UK..I never mentioned that, you did.

I was giving my opinion to the title that asks, Is the situation in the UK really that bad? Not sure what you are on about.
Sorry, my mistake

There's a lot been said in this thread, and when someone posts something bad about the UK others have said 'it's the same everywhere'. Now someone else puts up a link that says something good about the UK, and there are posts that seem to say it's as bad as everywhere else. You joined in at a point where a new survey has shown a fall in crime in the UK to say there's crime in Australia too - I took it the wrong way, and that's my mistake - it was obviously just coincidence
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Robin Vinz Salvador is an unknown quantity at this point

I must say it's not that bad specially when you are looking for a job? I am working in IT and my OH is a commercial accountant working with SAP looking for work part time. We are predominantly looking at London, which is where all the work seems to be, but would move anywhere south of Manchester due to some reasons.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

munch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nicemunch is just really nice

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Sorry, my mistake

There's a lot been said in this thread, and when someone posts something bad about the UK others have said 'it's the same everywhere'. Now someone else puts up a link that says something good about the UK, and there are posts that seem to say it's as bad as everywhere else. You joined in at a point where a new survey has shown a fall in crime in the UK to say there's crime in Australia too - I took it the wrong way, and that's my mistake - it was obviously just coincidence
Hey, no worries. Just read some of the more recent posts and get what you mean. Can become a bit of a kids playground at times
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by munch
Hey, no worries. Just read some of the more recent posts and get what you mean. Can become a bit of a kids playground at times
Thanks munch
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:18 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
when someone posts something bad about the UK others have said 'it's the same everywhere'.
Yes, the standard non-response by some people to things perceived to be negative or bad about the UK.

I've actually offered much less opinion on this thread than some posters like to suggest, and have mostly provided links to qualified stats and articles to indicate the state of the UK. Those links are probably mostly perceived to be negative because there needed to be a balance in this thread as everything is certainly not ok as some people like to think.

Where I have provided opinion, a couple of things I have said are:
  • there's no definitive yes or no answer, and is dependent on many factors.
  • it should eventually be sorted out, the UK has had relatively more debt in the past - a lot more at certain points in history.
dunroving also had something interesting to say on future improvement in the economy/job market:
Originally Posted by dunroving
Even if things improve in the next 4 years, there will be a backlog of graduates who have been unable to get suitable employment so it will still be a pretty competitive job market. Most of our graduates have been unable to get suitable work for a few years now.
A good summary of the opinions I have actually offered is something I said much earlier in this thread: "there's no definitive yes or no answer to the UK being "that bad", however there's probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment but things will get better".
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:35 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

The UK is producing far to many graduates, particularly those with non profession related degrees, it all seems to be that people feel a need to get a degree in order to get on in life, but getting experience and qualifications in many of the professions do not need a degree, things like the construction industry, jobs previously classed as 'blue collar'. I realise that a lot of this is due to Universities protecting their own existence by offering more and more courses, but some of them are quite ridiculous.
There's a list of some of them here, not all UK, but many are.

http://www.toptenz.net/to-10-useless...es-degrees.php

where would you use a degree in David Beckham studies? FFS
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:44 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
A good summary of the opinions I have actually offered is something I said much earlier in this thread: "there's no definitive yes or no answer to the UK being "that bad", however there's probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment but things will get better".
+1

On the OP

In general terms it can be debated to death & be extremely opinionated IMO

In personal terms living in the UK (in your own little world) is a different story
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
The UK is producing far to many graduates, particularly those with non profession related degrees, it all seems to be that people feel a need to get a degree in order to get on in life, but getting experience and qualifications in many of the professions do not need a degree, things like the construction industry, jobs previously classed as 'blue collar'. I realise that a lot of this is due to Universities protecting their own existence by offering more and more courses, but some of them are quite ridiculous.
There's a list of some of them here, not all UK, but many are.

http://www.toptenz.net/to-10-useless...es-degrees.php

where would you use a degree in David Beckham studies? FFS
The thing is that is the same everywhere, worthless degrees for professional students.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
The thing is that is the same everywhere, worthless degrees for professional students.
Yes I think it's worse here.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:16 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
No, impossible, its worse in the UK for everything, they said so in the Daily Mail.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I hosted a visiting scholar from Portugal this week. We discussed the way academia is going in general and both agreed that universities seem to be self-perpetuating themselves both in terms of lowering of standards and offering fluff degree subjects. It seems the masters degree is becoming the new undergraduate degree, so to speak. Interesting for me to hear the same pattern is being replicated in Portugal.

I'm glad to say that I don't teach on a fluff degree course and we really try to maintain high standards - sometimes tough because of external pressures (since when did student failure rate and student survey ratings become divorced from student effort and be attributed solely to teacher effort?)
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I hope UK education doesn't or hasn't gone the same way as the US. There are mandatory qualification requirements for some of the simplest jobs. In other words, you either have to stay in education longer or go back into education, at your own expense of course, otherwise you cannot get a job.

I've had to lay people off who have been doing the same job for years because there has been a mandatory qualification requirement introduced and the employee has to go back to school to qualify for work. Sometimes having to take preliminary exam tests in non related subjects in order to have those qualifications before advancing to the next step.

Conspiracy theory from higher authority, I'm convinced.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I hope UK education doesn't or hasn't gone the same way as the US. There are mandatory qualification requirements for some of the simplest jobs. In other words, you either have to stay in education longer or go back into education, at your own expense of course, otherwise you cannot get a job.

I've had to lay people off who have been doing the same job for years because there has been a mandatory qualification requirement introduced and the employee has to go back to school to qualify for work. Sometimes having to take preliminary exam tests in non related subjects in order to have those qualifications before advancing to the next step.

Conspiracy theory from higher authority, I'm convinced.
It's not got as far as widespread mandatory requirements yet, but essentially most employers will hire the more qualified person, if previous experience is similar. So even if the job is stacking shelves at Tesco, they'd probably take a degree-holder over a non-degree holder.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 4:46 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

An interesting (subjective) aside on qualifications but I was a decision maker for Income Support back before I left Blighty and the qualifications for my grade; where I alone made the decision on if those people (who lived in the area served by Brent Jobcentre Plus and whose last names started with the letter L-P) were ...

Five GCSEs

Luckily, I had A levels and even went to university for a few years but there were a few, shall we say, not quite bright sparks working in those offices ...
Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:11 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
An interesting (subjective) aside on qualifications but I was a decision maker for Income Support back before I left Blighty and the qualifications for my grade; where I alone made the decision on if those people (who lived in the area served by Brent Jobcentre Plus and whose last names started with the letter L-P) were ...

Five GCSEs

Luckily, I had A levels and even went to university for a few years but there were a few, shall we say, not quite bright sparks working in those offices ...
When I started work, the minimum qualifications for my job were 4 'O' levels, I had 'A@ levels so got to start at a higher grade, but we had to take work related exams before being alowed to progress, and if you failed these then you were out on your ear. When I left, you were expected to start with a BSc in the specific field, honours prefered, but at least all thos who qualified through the earlier routes were not forced to study for the new qualifications, in fact the exams we pseed at the higher level were always stated to be honours degree equivalent, but they had to create jobs for the universities.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.