Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 18th 2013, 5:27 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by mikelincs
When I started work, the minimum qualifications for my job were 4 'O' levels, I had 'A@ levels so got to start at a higher grade, but we had to take work related exams before being alowed to progress, and if you failed these then you were out on your ear. When I left, you were expected to start with a BSc in the specific field, honours prefered, but at least all thos who qualified through the earlier routes were not forced to study for the new qualifications, in fact the exams we pseed at the higher level were always stated to be honours degree equivalent, but they had to create jobs for the universities.
Technically speaking, the job I'm in now would probably require a degree in a bigger company. Luckily, I was able to land it due to experience I gained at the last job.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I hosted a visiting scholar from Portugal this week. We discussed the way academia is going in general and both agreed that universities seem to be self-perpetuating themselves both in terms of lowering of standards and offering fluff degree subjects. It seems the masters degree is becoming the new undergraduate degree, so to speak. Interesting for me to hear the same pattern is being replicated in Portugal.

I'm glad to say that I don't teach on a fluff degree course and we really try to maintain high standards - sometimes tough because of external pressures (since when did student failure rate and student survey ratings become divorced from student effort and be attributed solely to teacher effort?)
I think there's an element of both - universities perpetuating themselves and competition for jobs meaning that a degree or higher degree comes to be expected even for positions that don't really need one.

Agreed on the teacher effort point. My husband was also telling me that giving anything less than A+ results in an angry missive from the student and a request for a meeting to address the 'problem'.

Btw, any more news on your job thoughts? (I know it's not the right place, but just being nosy).
Old Oct 18th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Thanks Bud!

Already bought a one-way for the commitment and because it is way cheaper when you get it with bought discounted frequent flyer miles - flip-side is that you have to buy EARLY or availability is GONE - so we just have to get the various ducks in a row. I have to be careful to temper the euphoria as there is a lot to be accomplished before we are merrily ensconced where - I think - we want to settle in Devon.

We have accommodation for a month sorted and I have spoken to an estate agent for rentals who was helpful and reassuring regarding our surety for the prospective landlord since we have only rented before when in Bermuda up to seven years ago - having some existing moderate but stable UK income and a UK bank account counted for a lot. We will touch base with them three months ahead of time and check supply over their coverage area.

We find using Travelodge and now the increasing number of Hampton Inns (Hilton) (kids are kids up to age 17 and breakfast is included) helps a lot with the initial budget as compared with self-catering, particularly when you are in season (July/August).
Good news, Pete! Devon is still on our radar, but still leaning towards Wales. Canterbury just seemed out of reach on our budget - lovely as it seemed. Either way, looks like we are headed for rainier pastures!
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
No, impossible, its worse in the UK for everything, they said so in the Daily Mail.
Hey hey - I am a DM reader at times, I wouldn't say I am overly negative about the UK. As I said, people don't realise how lucky they are to live in the UK. The DM covers things other papers don't, especially things that sit at the back of our minds and we can't always say outloud or directly.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
The DM covers things other papers don't, especially things that sit at the back of our minds and we can't always say outloud or directly.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Yes, the standard non-response by some people to things perceived to be negative or bad about the UK.

I've actually offered much less opinion on this thread than some posters like to suggest, and have mostly provided links to qualified stats and articles to indicate the state of the UK. Those links are probably mostly perceived to be negative because there needed to be a balance in this thread as everything is certainly not ok as some people like to think.

Where I have provided opinion, a couple of things I have said are:
  • there's no definitive yes or no answer, and is dependent on many factors.
  • it should eventually be sorted out, the UK has had relatively more debt in the past - a lot more at certain points in history.
dunroving also had something interesting to say on future improvement in the economy/job market:
A good summary of the opinions I have actually offered is something I said much earlier in this thread: "there's no definitive yes or no answer to the UK being "that bad", however there's probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment but things will get better".
Thank-you for this RM. A full and frank explanation of your MO. Why it was necessary escapes me, but I always feel its cathartic to unload.

Perhaps its because of your first line? The confusion I mean. A 'non-response' is a contradiction in terms n'est pas?

Response is of course the operative word!

I have to concede it must be so vexing when posters respond to incessant negativity with another pov. It spoils the flow of things and must be so frustrating!

I quite understand.

'Fluff degrees' love that! Is the Australian terminology: 'race to the bottom' used in the UK too?
It is a working model for today.

I recall years back a colleague of mine who had three university degrees from Oxford suggesting that students today could pick up a degree if they could tie their shoe laces properly!

He was an arrogant rickp.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 11:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Perhaps its because of your first line? The confusion I mean. A 'non-response' is a contradiction in terms n'est pas?
Hopefully you won't lose any sleep over it.
Old Oct 19th 2013, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully you won't lose any sleep over it.
That's very swee..zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old Oct 19th 2013, 1:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
Good news, Pete! Devon is still on our radar, but still leaning towards Wales. Canterbury just seemed out of reach on our budget - lovely as it seemed. Either way, looks like we are headed for rainier pastures!
For us, we get about 120 ins of rain here a year *, being on the edge of the RAINforest and factoring in tropical storms, and climate change so far has not seen the move towards semi-aridity on the coastal rim that certain studies foresaw a decade or so ago, so any move to the Exeter area where rainfall looks to be in the region of 38 ins a year, won't be a worry rain-wise, though there could still be some flooding issues at certain times of the year unless we choose extra carefully and stay away from the Exe shoreline.

*When it rains, it chucks it down

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 19th 2013 at 1:57 am.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It also doesn't help that power companies have been increasing their prices so much - e.g. British Gas increasing gas by 8.4% and electricity by 10.4%, and SSE announced a similarly large increase with probably more to come like that from other suppliers.
Here's another big increase announced by an energy company, this time Npower - 9.3% increase for electricity, and 11.1% increase for gas. With these big increases taking place just before winter, there will be quite a lot of people wondering how they can survive if it's a really cold winter.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Here's another big increase announced by an energy company, this time Npower - 9.3% increase for electricity, and 11.1% increase for gas. With these big increases taking place just before winter, there will be quite a lot of people wondering how they can survive if it's a really cold winter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

Bong....bong.......bong......bong.....bong......
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:16 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7RIgs3eygo

Bong....bong.......bong......bong.....bong......
Do you really find a 10% increase in the cost of energy supplies something to mock
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Do you really find a 10% increase in the cost of energy supplies something to mock
Indeed, people who may have to choose between warmth or food during the winter won't be finding it funny at all.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt that is what he is mocking...
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

What I find reason to mock old sparkles is the fact that this poster will incessantly look for negatives.

If I were to criticise him directly then who knows, I might be accused of being in a playground?

.........and just so that you do not concentrate on the negative, the issue is not something to 'mock' as you will find out when you have 'lived the dream' for some time.

New post: Giantaxe nailed it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.