Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Almo
I realise that this is not really the subject of this thread but this is so true. It drives me freaking mad that people can't recognise that choosing to buy something online or at a giant Tesco extra for the sake of saving a few pennies or because they prefer the convenience of having it home delivered is killing the high street. Yes, there are other things contributing to this; parking is a big one.

The thought of a day when I can only buy something from Tesco or Amazon gives me the heebie-jeebies.
You are so right,but I am a self confessed hypocrite!
Mr J and I, when in the US would have a snigger at "strip malls", soulless conglomerations of shops. We would visit old town centres which were historic and dead, like something out of a sci-fi novel. We would bemoan the loss of a lovely town centre to walk round and pick up this and that. Yet, here I am, back in the UK, the loveliest town centre on my doorstep and I still go off and do all my shopping at the supermarket on the outskirts with the big car park! Did I learn nothing?
Old Jul 30th 2013, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
You are so right,but I am a self confessed hypocrite!
Mr J and I, when in the US would have a snigger at "strip malls", soulless conglomerations of shops. We would visit old town centres which were historic and dead, like something out of a sci-fi novel. We would bemoan the loss of a lovely town centre to walk round and pick up this and that. Yet, here I am, back in the UK, the loveliest town centre on my doorstep and I still go off and do all my shopping at the supermarket on the outskirts with the big car park! Did I learn nothing?
Frank and interesting admission, Jemima!

DH and I are not even sure that when in the UK we will have a car. At any rate we are determined to do our shopping in the smaller high street shops and supermarkets. A pull-along shopping trolley can be very helpful here!

As you say, so many USA town centres are dead. We can't let that happen in the UK. It would be tragic. Some towns are struggling as it is.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I have just heard this on the news, so perhaps worth a look at

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/guide-meth...ing/index.html
Old Jul 30th 2013, 6:29 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Frank and interesting admission, Jemima!

DH and I are not even sure that when in the UK we will have a car. At any rate we are determined to do our shopping in the smaller high street shops and supermarkets. A pull-along shopping trolley can be very helpful here!

As you say, so many USA town centres are dead. We can't let that happen in the UK. It would be tragic. Some towns are struggling as it is.
Isn't it the same everywhere though? It's the same in France. Our small village used to have 11 bars, when we moved here - 2, now it has one. It lost a small shop and gained another with a gap in between the two. The commune has tried to encourage a doctor to take up residence to no avail. That's what it needs though - subsidies, a few people supporting local business won't make it last, it needs subsidising & council help, but there's no money in that is there? There's no money in a local business when supermarkets can undercut by so much. Eventually the shopping malls won't be viable because of online shopping, then there'll be room for the small shops again
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:08 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Isn't it the same everywhere though? It's the same in France. Our small village used to have 11 bars, when we moved here - 2, now it has one. It lost a small shop and gained another with a gap in between the two. The commune has tried to encourage a doctor to take up residence to no avail. That's what it needs though - subsidies, a few people supporting local business won't make it last, it needs subsidising & council help, but there's no money in that is there? There's no money in a local business when supermarkets can undercut by so much. Eventually the shopping malls won't be viable because of online shopping, then there'll be room for the small shops again
Our village used to have around 6 pubs plus our place which was a cider house, now it has 2 thriving pubs and a pub/restaurant and a village shop, hairdresser, farm shop etc. Things change and evolve, it has always been the same.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Tonight I look forward to watching a programme called "Pensioners Behind Bars" (No not those Bars you fool!).

The blurb is that 'there is a grey crime wave sweeping the UK'.

NOW I understand why seniors are returning, you're embracing the gang culture aren't you?
I am going to have to rethink my plans.

My idea for a small business "Geriatric Whores" has been shelved. I have no wish to spend my remaining years in pokey.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

Damn, no hope of a job there, then!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 7:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, no hope of a job there, then!
You could always go freelance.
Old Jul 31st 2013, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll see if I can fit in around the lap dancing!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 12:48 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'll see if I can fit in around the lap dancing!
Oh you're talented then?
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Apologies, I think we've gone off topic (slinks quietly away into the distance!)
Old Aug 1st 2013, 10:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies, I think we've gone off topic (slinks quietly away into the distance!)
Yes we have detracted from the serious business of presenting the evidence for and against the essay topic. "The UK is going to the dogs" - discuss.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh well, it was worth it then. Woof, woof!
Old Aug 1st 2013, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

and don't get a job as a dinner lady unless you can remember the dietary requirements of 300 odd kids
Old Aug 1st 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dinner lady? That's a novel suggestion!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.