Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Returning home, having left in 1966

Returning home, having left in 1966

Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:10 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home, having left in 1966

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
Yes, pedantic, I am sure... ha ha.

I was there until I was 4. So I qualify for expat label. 6 of 1 or half dozen of the other. Irrelevant.

Thanks to the others for the additional links.

I was born in Wimbledon, so I am English by birth. Relatives have problems of their own and I do not wish to bother anyone. I am 46 and I need to fix this issue myself.

Finding a job is not a problem. I will find one very quickly. finding a job that will support family once they arrive (or support while they are waiting for paperwork and flight costs) is another matter entirely.

My only weakness, as far as I can tell, is that no taxes ever paid, other than the very high 17.5 VAT we all have to pay.

T
I really do sympathize.......I know only too well what it's like to be in place you dislike, for whatever reason. I am extremely lucky in that I enjoy freedom of movement (and the wherewithall to do it) between Canada and the UK. I am now home in the UK and intend to remain here.

I doubt the lack of taxes paid will have any bearing on the various government agencies. Money paid out is not governed by the tax an individual pays in, more's the pity, as thousands, if not millions, of us, would be in the longest queue you ever saw, asking for our share!

Good luck whatever your decision.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:11 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Archangel
Plus I am sure that there is something in the UK legislation in relation to citizenship.
British citizenship does not expire simply due to long residence overseas.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:12 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Archangel
I feel very sad to here about your current predicament, but as far as I know there is absolutely no way that you will get any support, be it DHS benefits, or housing unless you can fund the latter yourself. Plus I am sure that there is something in the UK legislation in relation to citizenship. I might be wrong but there is a period of time that one being out of the country cannot automatically gain rights to UK resources, as I said I am not sure so you should look online.
You will struggle to find employment but I am sure you will find some thing even if it means working in a supermarket. I understand things are hard for you and It is no good staying somewhere that you do not like, but you should try to save as much as you can because you will need so much money in the Uk to secure rental accommodation, food and transport and to support your family abroad.

Archangel....it's not my predicament!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:32 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Luckily, I am only 46.

I will try to make it short. I grew up in South America and in my late teens moved to the USA, where I lived until 2000.

My first trip to the UK was in 1998 to visit relatives and I fell in love with the place, but I felt out of place.

Left USA after Bush was elected and have lived in Thailand ever since. Married with a lovely lady and have a 2 year old boy.

In 2000 I went back to the UK for 6 months to test the job market there. At the time I was about 39. Everywhere I went, I faced the "we are looking for a younger candidate. Your years of experience do not qualify you" bs.

I actually left disgusted.

But, the situation in Thailand is getting worse. The political situation, Royal family problems and border issues, make this place a xenophobic area which I am not willing to partake in. Never mind the lack of quality schools.

Anyway, I am looking to go back to Queen's country and try again. My wife will stay in Thailand while I go job hunting. Most of my technical certifications are all expired. I am currently teaching a large Korean community English and perhaps that is what I am good at, as opposed to an office environment.

No savings to speak of. I will return with maybe 1000 or so pounds. Eastbourne area, but SE England for sure, unless I get a job elsewhere.

I contacted Eastbourne Council to see what assistance I could get as a returning expat who has never lived in the UK nor paid any taxes of any kind. Zero. One of my friends suggested I change to a Polish name and apply.

Is it really that tough there?

I mean, I land at Heathrow and I am homeless??????
Any suggestions are most appreciated. God, if you read this far, you are really bored!

Thanks.
T

Yes it can be tough in the UK.

Like alot of other posters you seem to think it is easy to just turn up in the UK and be eligible for benefits and housing and it just isn't. The rules have been tightened and not before time and the reality is you will be way down the list for help.

You've said you are happy to 'work like a horse' for your family so why don't you, like other people have advised, just take any job to start off and rent a room. Have you got a NI number btw?

Have you actually looked into the requirements and costs of bringing your Thai wife into the UK. I don't know what they are so can't comment but if you check out posts by FleaFlyFloFlum she is having to show she has enough funds to support her NZ husband's application to live in the UK?

Have you looked into getting your qualifications updated for recognition in the UK market and finding work in your field whatever that is?

And what about setting up a bank account? You say you've never lived in the UK so you might have difficulty in that area having no credit history. There are some very recent posts about this very subject.

You'll also need to get yourself onto the electoral roll. That counts a lot towards your credit rating and getting a mortgage if you go down that route in the future.

I'm assuming you've checked out websites for rooms for rent in the Eastbourne area? I've had a quick google myself and there is a huge amount of accommodation available 'to get you started'. You also have relatives in the UK and dysfunctional or not, if they have been visiting you for 29 years in South America or is it the USA (your posts are contradictory as you said you moved from Sth America in your late teens but the rellies visited you there) surely they can help you out for a month or so.

I do sympathise with you being in a place you don't like living but you also need to take responsibility for yourself and your family and not ssume you can rely on handouts.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:01 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crystal23
Yes it can be tough in the UK.

Like alot of other posters you seem to think it is easy to just turn up in the UK and be eligible for benefits and housing and it just isn't. The rules have been tightened and not before time and the reality is you will be way down the list for help.

You've said you are happy to 'work like a horse' for your family so why don't you, like other people have advised, just take any job to start off and rent a room. Have you got a NI number btw?

Have you actually looked into the requirements and costs of bringing your Thai wife into the UK. I don't know what they are so can't comment but if you check out posts by FleaFlyFloFlum she is having to show she has enough funds to support her NZ husband's application to live in the UK?

Have you looked into getting your qualifications updated for recognition in the UK market and finding work in your field whatever that is?

And what about setting up a bank account? You say you've never lived in the UK so you might have difficulty in that area having no credit history. There are some very recent posts about this very subject.

You'll also need to get yourself onto the electoral roll. That counts a lot towards your credit rating and getting a mortgage if you go down that route in the future.

I'm assuming you've checked out websites for rooms for rent in the Eastbourne area? I've had a quick google myself and there is a huge amount of accommodation available 'to get you started'. You also have relatives in the UK and dysfunctional or not, if they have been visiting you for 29 years in South America or is it the USA (your posts are contradictory as you said you moved from Sth America in your late teens but the rellies visited you there) surely they can help you out for a month or so.

I do sympathise with you being in a place you don't like living but you also need to take responsibility for yourself and your family and not ssume you can rely on handouts.
Long post. Let me try to clarify.
I am fully aware that I am not entitled to anything. Hence my questions. I rely on this forum members's experiences.

I will take any job once I return, as stated in another post. No NI number because I never paid taxes. I am told I get one once employed.

Requirements to bring my family over is quite big. We will be separated probably 8 to 12 months before I see them at all. We are prepared for that emotional ordeal. But not seeing son grow for a year will be tough for all involved.

I have 2 masters and one major from two universities from USA. So I will be able to use those qualifications.

I opened a UK account at Abbey National about 10 years ago and keep it upto date.

My posts are not contradictory. I grew up in South America. Moved as an older teen to USA where I was for 23 years. I worked for Lucent and other high tech firms, was a cop for 8 years and did drug work in Colombia and Mexico.

I never said relatives visited me for 29 years. I stated that we never saw each other except once in 29 years. Anyway, they are more friends than relatives.

Rooms go for about 40 or 80 quid a week. Depending on location.

I have set a time frame of 1 year to get settled in and bring family. So have to work fast and hard. After I reach 50, there will be no jobs to be had.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:54 am
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=whereamifrom;6630600]Long post. Let me try to clarify.
I am fully aware that I am not entitled to anything. Hence my questions. I rely on this forum members's experiences.

I will take any job once I return, as stated in another post. No NI number because I never paid taxes. I am told I get one once employed.

Requirements to bring my family over is quite big. We will be separated probably 8 to 12 months before I see them at all. We are prepared for that emotional ordeal. But not seeing son grow for a year will be tough for all involved.

I have 2 masters and one major from two universities from USA. So I will be able to use those qualifications.

I'm not sure if you will need this but I'll put it up anyway. This is an agency the provides information about comparing qualifications:

http://www.naric.org.uk/
Old Jul 31st 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by oldbag
Archangel....it's not my predicament!
Sorry didn't mean you!!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by JAJ
British citizenship does not expire simply due to long residence overseas.
I didn't say it expires, i am relating this to automatic rights to UK resources!!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:44 am
itchy feet again!

Long post. Let me try to clarify.

I have 2 masters and one major from two universities from USA. So I will be able to use those qualifications.I opened a UK account at Abbey National about 10 years ago and keep it upto date.

My posts are not contradictory. I grew up in South America. Moved as an older teen to USA where I was for 23 years. I worked for Lucent and other high tech firms, was a cop for 8 years and did drug work in Colombia and Mexico.

I never said relatives visited me for 29 years. I stated that we never saw each other except once in 29 years. Anyway, they are more friends than relatives.

Rooms go for about 40 or 80 quid a week. Depending on location.

I have set a time frame of 1 year to get settled in and bring family. So have to work fast and hard. After I reach 50, there will be no jobs to be had.
Not necessarily..............you need to see if they are recognised over here. Many qualifications do not transfer from one country to another. Harsh but true.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Not necessarily..............you need to see if they are recognised over here. Many qualifications do not transfer from one country to another. Harsh but true.
In my previous post, I added a link to an agency that transfers overseas qualifications.

Here it is again:

http://www.naric.org.uk/
Old Jul 31st 2008, 1:52 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

I just wanted to add something, which may or may not apply to the OP. I am someone who has lived in many different countries around the world and I am also someone who always harboured the illusion that life may be better somewhere else. So, for example, I put years of my life on hold to emigrate from the UK to Canada as I had this memory about the place being so wonderful, paradise on earth. When I arrived here, I realised that it was not so. Now, whether it is the place or whether it is the mere fact that I have changed is debatable. However, what I basically realised that my upbringing in different places around the world has left me extremely confused and lonely in this world - and always trying to find this place called "home".

I guess what I am trying to say to the OP is this: Don't expect that the UK will solve all your problems. The UK is a place like most places in the world: It has it's pros and cons. I see that even though you never really lived there you consider it to be home because that is what your nationality is. But often we kid ourselves as to the fact that a nationality can determine where our home is.

Also, I agree with something other people said on here: Your Masters degrees may or may not be of any help in the UK. It depends what they are in, for starters. The UK seems to be generally more accepting of foreign credentials than other places in the world, but I found my foreign credentials in the UK to be a waste of time mostly (I have both UK and foreign credentials). Here in Canada, my UK credentials are worth nothing.

I don't want to offer advice as to what to do or not to do - as only you can make up your mind as what is right for you. I just saw something in your post that looked like you may be going through that search for "home" that I was going through and thought that sharing might help. Sorry if that is presumptious.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 3:16 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by gotoronto
I just wanted to add something, which may or may not apply to the OP. I am someone who has lived in many different countries around the world and I am also someone who always harboured the illusion that life may be better somewhere else. So, for example, I put years of my life on hold to emigrate from the UK to Canada as I had this memory about the place being so wonderful, paradise on earth. When I arrived here, I realised that it was not so. Now, whether it is the place or whether it is the mere fact that I have changed is debatable. However, what I basically realised that my upbringing in different places around the world has left me extremely confused and lonely in this world - and always trying to find this place called "home".

I guess what I am trying to say to the OP is this: Don't expect that the UK will solve all your problems. The UK is a place like most places in the world: It has it's pros and cons. I see that even though you never really lived there you consider it to be home because that is what your nationality is. But often we kid ourselves as to the fact that a nationality can determine where our home is.

Also, I agree with something other people said on here: Your Masters degrees may or may not be of any help in the UK. It depends what they are in, for starters. The UK seems to be generally more accepting of foreign credentials than other places in the world, but I found my foreign credentials in the UK to be a waste of time mostly (I have both UK and foreign credentials). Here in Canada, my UK credentials are worth nothing.

I don't want to offer advice as to what to do or not to do - as only you can make up your mind as what is right for you. I just saw something in your post that looked like you may be going through that search for "home" that I was going through and thought that sharing might help. Sorry if that is presumptious.
I wanted to send you some Karma for a lovely and very wise post.....I can't....I've got to "spread it around", so to speak......oooerr, Matron! Anyway, it was the thought!
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gotoronto

Excellent post. I agree with everything you said. You are not presumptious at all!

But, as you probably have the same feelings; have you ever really felt accepted in any other place other than your country of birth? I have not.

For once, I want to be in a place where I am from.

On a side note, going through gumtree.com, I am sorta hooked on the confessions part of the site. Laughing my head off.

And I sent off 3 cvs.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 4:29 pm
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of

Excellent post. I agree with everything you said. You are not presumptious at all!

But, as you probably have the same feelings; have you ever really felt accepted in any other place other than your country of birth? I have not.

For once, I want to be in a place where I am from.

Actually... my story is a little more complex, as my country of birth is not the UK... and I have no connection at all with my country of birth.

I also never felt accepted in the country of my nationality - simply because people find it so hard to accept an international background - someone flitting around the world not being able to settle.

I really hope it works out for you. Good luck with the job hunt. We are slowly getting everything ready to return to the UK - as for me it is really the best place from a professional perspective. I am now not expecting to find paradise, though, just hopefully peace of mind and a settled life. I also think that I am not going to try anymore to find "home" in a country or a city, but more inside myself and with the people around me. I do worry that I will get these itchy feet again and that I will feel once again that I need to move in search of something better - but hopefuly, having finally realised that no place is perfect, I will be able to counter those feelings.

Be prepared that in interviews employers might question your commitment to the UK due to the fact that you moved around a lot. I have found it hard to convince employers in the past and will find it even harder now, I am sure... it's best that you have a rational and unemotional explanation for your move to the UK.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:31 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

Best of luck in the UK. With recessions looming in so many countries, I think there will be a lot of expat workers returning "home" to the UK in the not so distant future - as countries become more nationalistic and concentrate on their own peoples.

I think we have all gone through this "going to the perfect country" idea - I know I did with Singapore, but you just have to accept that no country is perfect - they all have their great points and their imperfections too and that includes ol' Blighty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.