Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Returning home, having left in 1966

Returning home, having left in 1966

Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about
Default Returning home, having left in 1966

Luckily, I am only 46.

I will try to make it short. I grew up in South America and in my late teens moved to the USA, where I lived until 2000.

My first trip to the UK was in 1998 to visit relatives and I fell in love with the place, but I felt out of place.

Left USA after Bush was elected and have lived in Thailand ever since. Married with a lovely lady and have a 2 year old boy.

In 2000 I went back to the UK for 6 months to test the job market there. At the time I was about 39. Everywhere I went, I faced the "we are looking for a younger candidate. Your years of experience do not qualify you" bs.

I actually left disgusted.

But, the situation in Thailand is getting worse. The political situation, Royal family problems and border issues, make this place a xenophobic area which I am not willing to partake in. Never mind the lack of quality schools.

Anyway, I am looking to go back to Queen's country and try again. My wife will stay in Thailand while I go job hunting. Most of my technical certifications are all expired. I am currently teaching a large Korean community English and perhaps that is what I am good at, as opposed to an office environment.

No savings to speak of. I will return with maybe 1000 or so pounds. Eastbourne area, but SE England for sure, unless I get a job elsewhere.

I contacted Eastbourne Council to see what assistance I could get as a returning expat who has never lived in the UK nor paid any taxes of any kind. Zero. One of my friends suggested I change to a Polish name and apply.

Is it really that tough there?

I mean, I land at Heathrow and I am homeless??????

Any suggestions are most appreciated. God, if you read this far, you are really bored!

Thanks.
T
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home, having left in 1966

sorry but. Why don't you go to Korea to teach English if you are good at it? Surely Korea is much better than Thailand/U.K?

Recently I visited Korea for a short period of time and I found it's sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to stay there.

there's a good chance that you can make lots of money in South Korea. (Tax is very low, isn' it?)

YOu save money and then go back to the UK?

Last edited by crap coffee; Jul 30th 2008 at 10:34 am.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

whereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura aboutwhereamifrom has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by crap coffee
sorry but. Why don't you go to Korea to teach English if you are good at it? Surely Korea is much better than Thailand?

Recently I visited Korea for a short period of time and I found it's sooooooooooooooooooooo nice to stay there.

there's a good chance that you can make lots of money in South Korea. (Tax is very low, isn' it?)

YOu save money and then go back to the UK?
I re read my first message. Let me make it clear I do not want handouts, but just some help for a month, get back on my feet and off I go...

Regarding Korea. Yes, good money. But if you are under 40. Ageism is rampant there as well. I have plenty of contacts there and they are all leaving.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:38 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

You will find UK VERY, VERY expensive. Can your relatives you visited not help you in any way if you are certain you wish to live there?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whereamifrom
Regarding Korea. Yes, good money. But if you are under 40. Ageism is rampant there as well. I have plenty of contacts there and they are all leaving.
yeah. true.

But I thought no age limit for an English teacher there? I can't believe!

You know now I am 30 as well, so I can't technically apply any job there either - because I am toooooo old! why do they care bloody age too much ? (which doesn't make any sense) ? they are crap

The Class system in Korea sucks

I feel sorry for you... The UK would be a tough option too.......
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:47 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

I re read my first message. Let me make it clear I do not want handouts, but just some help for a month, get back on my feet and off I go...

I emigrated, to Canada, for the second time nearly 4 years ago in my mid-50's; found getting work almost impossible mainly due to my being foreign. I did, eventually, find work in one of the big banks over there. Returned to the UK a month ago and almost 4 years older.........juts had a birthday last week.......getting employment no problem!
And excuse me if I sound harsh - but - although you say you want "no handouts, just some help for a month........", that doesn't cut it with Officialdom. You cannot provide proof of how long you will need help, and they cannot be expected to take what you say at face value.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

yeah. true.

But I thought no age limit for an English teacher there? I can't believe!

You know now I am 30 as well, so I can't technically apply any job there either - because I am toooooo old! why do they care bloody age too much ? (which doesn't make any sense) ? they are crap

The Class system in Korea sucks

I feel sorry for you... The UK would be a tough option too.......
No need to feel sorry.

Well, the options are: remain in SE Asia and deal with their bull xenophobic and nationalistic and surly attitudes, get stared at all the time and deal with corruption, but lovely beaches.....or back to a civilized society, been there done that attitude and get on with my life and give venerable son some hope of a good education.

Regarding family helping. Met them in 1998 after 29 years of them visiting me in South America and talk about dysfunctional. Nope, rather deal with this myself and without their help.

I know the UK is very very expensive. And it has its faults and wrinkles. I am prepared to deal with that and just work like a horse for my family.

And fish and chips are to die for!!! Even if only chinese and poles own the shops.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 10:58 am
BE Forum Addict

.....or back to a civilized society, been there done that attitude and get on with my life and give venerable son some hope of a good education..

I think it's very important - your son deserves a good education in UK

Last edited by crap coffee; Jul 30th 2008 at 11:04 am.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

I think it's very important - your son deserves a good education in UK
My son is 2 years 3 months. Yes, he deserves the very best I can offer him.

And the other poster is correct. I have no idea how long I will need assistance after landing. But I will try very very hard to not be on it too long (help with a room). I am very independent person and the sooner I get a job, the sooner my family can join me. What an incentive that is to get off council help!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

And the other poster is correct. I have no idea how long I will need assistance after landing. But I will try very very hard to not be on it too long (help with a room). I am very independent person and the sooner I get a job, the sooner my family can join me. What an incentive that is to get off council help!
I hope you can get some decent help from the u.k govt until you settle down. However....a returning expat eligible ?
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

You shouldn't have ageism problems with employment in the UK, there is a law against that. An employer cannot refuse you employment based on your age.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

I contacted Eastbourne Council to see what assistance I could get as a returning expat who has never lived in the UK nor paid any taxes of any kind. Zero.
I mean, I land at Heathrow and I am homeless??????

T
you say you don't want handouts...what then are you looking for? don't forget the powers that be will say that you have made yourself homeless.

either try korea or best you keep working for a few more yrs in thailand and then return to the uk with a few more ££ to support yourself and family. good luck.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:56 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

"Handouts" or "help" .........whatever you choose to call it, and for however long or short that period is, it's still the same.......don't count on it. I'm a returning British expat and I'm "entitled" to precisley nothing. I didn't expect or want any help.......I put myself in this situation, therefore it's up to me to provide for myself. The idea of this being short term is not going to be an incentive to the council providing help.........get real.
Old Jul 30th 2008, 12:58 pm
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Emma M
You shouldn't have ageism problems with employment in the UK, there is a law against that. An employer cannot refuse you employment based on your age.

There is a law against ageism in Canada, too...........doesn't mean it doesn't happen. They use some other reason.......over-qualified, under-qualified, blah, blah, blah.

BTW there's a law against murder.......doesn't stop it happening!
Old Jul 30th 2008, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

cornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond reputecornishvellan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emma M
She's right. Since 2006, age discriminate is illegal. For more see Citizen's Advice Bureau:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...on_at_work.htm

For this reason, you do not have to write your date of birth on your CV. An employer should offer you the job based on your abilities and life experience rather than your age.

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.