Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
Yea I get to see some real wet English rain live from London at Abbey Road.

Share with me!

http://www.abbeyroad.com/visit/

Where is everyone? Are the pubs open this early?
Cheers I cant tell you the amount of times Ive been to the Abbey road cam since you gave us the link months ago, I love it, Ive seen many pose in the Beatles position, As I type a bunch of teenagers have been there ten minutes taking pics, I see so many drivers pull up and then the pedestrians wave them past, that would get old quick LOL.

I checked it out on Google Earth and its not far from Lords cricket ground and Regents park / London Zoo.

Thanks again for the link.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Rosie, do you mean "West Chicago" as in the town "West Chicago" ... or do you mean the western boundaries of the city of Chicago? If you mean "West Chicago" the town, I lived/worked there once, in fact, my first husband was from there. We were married in Wheaton. I was born in the western 'burbs of Chicago.

Now, about the way we Americans eat, well, it's just the way it is. Doesn't mean we're wrong and doesn't mean the way they eat here in the UK is right. People in some countries eat with their hands. Are they doing it wrong? Nope, they're doing it the way their country does it and there is always a history behind it.

We had Blancmange the other night for afters and Mum set a spoon and a fork out to use when eating it. Explain that one to me. The fork just didn't make sense to me with a pudding of that texture. But if that's the way it's done over here, that's the way it's done. I for one would certainly never dream of calling it "wrong".
Klein Creek Farm, West Chicago, Dupage county! http://www.dupageforest.com/page.aspx?id=228
I worked in Wheaton, for two lady attorneys: Watson & Brown, plc. The office was located above a store called 'A Woman', supplying reconstructed garments to women after mastectomies - swim wear etc. Interesting town - I had some lovely times walking about, going into the twee stores, and having my lunch next to the old Railway building. Or in the nearby park. Did my paralegal training at night school, in the Wheaton College buildings! The law firm is no longer there - the ladies went their own way eventually - one is in Glen Ellyn, the other is located in another building in Wheaton. I loved the area, but eventually moved away to Wisconsin and loved that more. Still maintain connections in the Bloomingdale area. How our lives cross and recross on this thread.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Rosie....I am trying sooooo hard to keep my psyche together...
STOP MAKING ME LAUGH!!!!
Good! You need to laugh - I will see what else I can dredge up from the recesses of my brain. Let's see - we already had the curry smell, the teeth picking, the rain, the laundry. Today may be short on interest as I am spending a few hours working on some photographs, trying to cull the worse ones and do something with the best ones. So I will jump on and off (not literally) the site all day long. Oh, in my ear I am listening to the rubbish on Wifeswap USA - I cannot belive the way people think that materialistic issues are all important, and that their kids must be the best, and the biggest and the glitziest in school. What a waste of space. Story: I worked at a Food Bank in the west Chicago suburbs and one of the high schools had a graduation requirement of community service. Some of the students worked at my place, sorting cans of food. Some of the students also were on sports teams. One evening a father phoned me to say his son was at football, and was not coming in to do his shift, and could I just sign the time sheet to say he had been in. I refused, and he told me that I was going to cause his son to fail school, to which I replied that his son was going to make himself fail school. He asked to speak to the center Director, hoping to get me in trouble and get what he wanted, but the Director backed me up. Cheeky sod, and tough luck/love.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I so much agree, I think America has its daily stress and worry, People in the Uk only seem to worry about where they will be going on Holiday next.
I have to interject: even though I still have administrative issues to sort out here, I have relaxed for the first time in 24 years. Like Rodney said, I don't feel excited at being back, just comfortable. Of course, if I had been met at Heathrow by the T mobile group, I may have felt excited then!
Every day that I leave my flat, and walk about in town, I chance on someone interesting to talk to - even about the (proverbial topic) weather. I spent a couple of hours in the laundry yesterday and had multiple conversations going - many people to talk to, and everyone was chatty.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 11:37 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I have to interject: even though I still have administrative issues to sort out here, I have relaxed for the first time in 24 years. Like Rodney said, I don't feel excited at being back, just comfortable. Of course, if I had been met at Heathrow by the T mobile group, I may have felt excited then!
Every day that I leave my flat, and walk about in town, I chance on someone interesting to talk to - even about the (proverbial topic) weather. I spent a couple of hours in the laundry yesterday and had multiple conversations going - many people to talk to, and everyone was chatty.
Just in case anybody has forgotten about the T Mobile ad, here it is, Rosie please book the arrival group in advance for Jackie, Don, Poppycat and me in that order I believe.........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB3NPNM4xgo

Last edited by Beedubya; Jan 15th 2011 at 11:47 am.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Cheers I cant tell you the amount of times Ive been to the Abbey road cam since you gave us the link months ago, I love it, Ive seen many pose in the Beatles position, As I type a bunch of teenagers have been there ten minutes taking pics, I see so many drivers pull up and then the pedestrians wave them past, that would get old quick LOL.

I checked it out on Google Earth and its not far from Lords cricket ground and Regents park / London Zoo.

Thanks again for the link.
I think we could start a thread on this webcam.
Some observations.
In a very few cases I see drivers driving far too fast for conditions. Conditions being too many people and cars around at an intersection.

Motorcycle riders taking chances by passing on the right when there is oncoming traffic.

Pedestrians who step off the curb without looking (the go ahead hit me I need the money crowd).

Drivers who patiently wait while tourists just pose on the crossing while having their picture taken. I think if that happened in some places in the US there would be some blood spilt.

Lots of expensive cars. Mercedes, Porsche and BMWs
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie,
Have you taken any new photos in the last ten days? I wish there was some of the rain. (don't throw anything)
I know you are busy with projects.
Cheers
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
WOW! That doesn't sound bad at all!! I had it in my mind that people are lucky if they take home 40% of their pay.
I did try to say it wasn't true The wealthy are taxed 50% - but only on any amount over £150K.

The 60% tax rate is a Fox News myth that took hold all over the place - now half the Americans I talk to seem convinced that the UK has 60% tax rates.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I did try to say it wasn't true The wealthy are taxed 50% - but only on any amount over £150K.

The 60% tax rate is a Fox News myth that took hold all over the place - now half the Americans I talk to seem convinced that the UK has 60% tax rates.
And I think I read here in one of the forums just the other day that most are only taxed at 20% but that's the tax rate, I think - they would take home much less after all the other deductions.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 12:57 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, reading this thread it seems I have no idea how to eat anymore.

I have no idea what is right in which country anymore and honestly, I find it hard to care. I eat however I eat - if someone looks down on me because I'm holding my fork the British or American way (Lord, knows what I picked up in Canada!) well, that's their problem. Seems very unimportant to me. It reminds me of the worst of Britain - those social mores that separate one 'class' from another and allow one group of people to feel superior to another.

I prefer to judge people by their character. A kind, friendly, funny person can eat their peas with both hands for all I care, just as long as they take care of the people they love and live a good life.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:01 pm
Finally Home!

And I think I read here in one of the forums just the other day that most are only taxed at 20% but that's the tax rate, I think - they would take home much less after all the other deductions.
Yes, here are the rates for 2011:

Starting savings rate: 10% £0-£2,440

Basic rate: 20% - £0-£37,400

Higher rate: 40% - Over £37,400

Additional rate: 50% - over £150,000

So if you made less than £35,000 your tax rate would be 20%, but if you made £50,000, you would pay 20% on the first £35,000 and then 40% on the additional £15,000. (Assuming there's some kind of deductible too but don't know).

Fox News just added 40% to 20% and voila it equals a 60% tax rate!!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 15th 2011 at 1:04 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

So if you made less than £35,000 your tax rate would be 20%, but if you made £50,000, you would pay 20% on the first £35,000 and then 40% on the additional £15,000. (Assuming there's some kind of deductible too but don't know).

Thanks, Sally. So would it be true to say, for example, that after taxes AND all the other deductions, people take home about 60% of gross on average?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh dear, reading this thread it seems I have no idea how to eat anymore.

I have no idea what is right in which country anymore and honestly, I find it hard to care. I eat however I eat - if someone looks down on me because I'm holding my fork the British or American way (Lord, knows what I picked up in Canada!) well, that's their problem. Seems very unimportant to me. It reminds me of the worst of Britain - those social mores that separate one 'class' from another and allow one group of people to feel superior to another.

I prefer to judge people by their character. A kind, friendly, funny person can eat their peas with both hands for all I care, just as long as they take care of the people they love and live a good life.
I agree, Sally. Life can be so hard these days and, no matter how anyone eats, it is what's inside that counts. That matters far more than how they eat.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:37 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Sally. So would it be true to say, for example, that after taxes AND all the other deductions, people take home about 60% of gross on average?
Probably more than that, I'd say. I'm taxed as a single person, and pay income tax, National Insurance (which isn't cheap!) and a "company" pension, and I take home about 67% of my gross earnings. If I were to not include my company pension deduction, it comes to about 74%.

I have an above-average salary so considering that everyone has the same personal tax-free allowance, people on lower salaries would take home proportionally higher % of their gross salary.

FYI, My national insurance deduction is about one third of the amount of income tax deducted.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 1:40 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

Remember also that the personal tax allowance for 2011-2012 will be £7,475 - so income tax doesn't begin to kick in except for amounts earned above and beyond that amount (or maybe I'm misreading your post?)

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

So, here's what you'd pay in income tax, approximately (not sure if it is after or before NI is deducted):

£0-£7,475 - free of income tax (taxed at 0%)
£7,475 to £42,475 - taxed at 20%
£42,476 to £157,475 - taxed at 40% (the upper limit for this tax rate has been reduced since last year)
Anything over £157,475 - taxed at 50%

- the first of your rates is for income on savings only, so isn't associated with salary (I think).
- and these calculations and figures are for a single person - married couples will be a bit different
- and personal tax allowance is higher if you are over 64 (£9,940), and highertill if you are over 74 (£10,090)

Last edited by dunroving; Jan 15th 2011 at 1:53 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.