Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 31st 2012, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jemima55
Hi all, I`ve posted elsewhere and had some lovely replies, but Claire, my sister, passed away peacefully on Monday evening.
My husband is here with me and being a great support. (Expat thing) It`s hard not to have your own home to disappear to at the end of the day, but we`re going to the Suffolk coast tomorrow to unwind a bit. It`s been intense!
So sad, Jemima. But good you were able to be with her. Hope the unwinding in Suffolk gives you some healing time.

Tina
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliblu4191
I am still working here in Texas but I am so ready to go home to the UK. I have been here for over 30 years I miss the British countryside and my remaining family. I have to say though, the task of moving back seems a bit daunting.
Hi aliblu,
Welcome, yes indeed the task of moving back is quite daunting, and all the preparations that we all have to go through to wrap up our old life is very hard work, but so so worth it in the end!!!!
First you have to think about it a lot, then you have to be real sure that you can make the move, and then of course you really have to
(want to come home) everyone on here has there own reasons for wanting to come home,

My #1 reason for wanting to come home was my ageing 92 year old Mother,

My #2 reason was I had Just reached retiring age, and to be very honest with you I COULD not and WOULD not live as a pensioner in America, and to try and survive on a very modest S.S. check that would just about cover my rent and utility bills if I was lucky, no no thats just poverty,
And you use the word Daunting, well you may feel that its a daunting task to come home, but for me at least it would have been much more Daunting to stay in the U.S. to say the least!!!
But I was also absolutely scared of getting sick/ill as I grew older and having to rely on Medicare which is pretty bad, and if Romsey gets in and has his way will for sure get so much worse, and even more cuts,
But there were many other reasons for coming home, I couldn't stand another 112f hot day in Las Vegas any more

And a lot more including ------ chocolate digestives, steak & kidney pies,
hob nobs, pasties, fish & chips, real good cheese, big giant easter eggs, chocolate horlicks and a really good strong pint of British Ale at 6% alcohol, made with barley and hops, and Scotch Whisky directly from Scotland at a price I can actually afford

Nice walks in the beautiful peaceful British countryside or a nice stroll down at the beach, Hmmmmm OH England thank you so so much for not changing too much over time,

Oh and I am watching an afternoon at the races on TV right now at Epsom with my Mum, the big race the Derby is just about to start, ---- yes its Derby Day in Great Britain, and it lovely to see all the ladies in there big hats and all the men in there big black top hats, I love it !!!!!
There aint nothing like living in England, and I love my free bus pass too
Take care,
Rodney.
Just jumping in here to edit, just watched the race and the 8-11 favourite Camelot won 3 lenghs in front of the rest, and the Jockey was only a 19 year old teenager,

The Queen and the Duke are of course there at Epsom, and she looks lovely,

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 2nd 2012 at 3:14 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123

And a lot more including ------ chocolate digestives, steak & kidney pies,
hob nobs, pasties, fish & chips, real good cheese, big giant easter eggs, chocolate horlicks and a really good strong pint of British Ale at 6% alcohol, made with barley and hops, and Scotch Whisky directly from Scotland at a price I can actually afford

Nice walks in the beautiful peaceful British countryside or a nice stroll down at the beach, Hmmmmm OH England thank you so so much for not changing too much over time,
You are a trouble maker Rodney. Rub the salt in our wounds do ya?
Most important of all is the availability, in the UK, of the bakeries and cake shops and while I'm at it and since I don't drink I will swop the alcohol for that fabulous English(Devon) apple juice. There is nothing like it in the world.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

aliblu4191 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh my goodness, I'm ready to hop on a plane as we speak. Let's not forget sitting in the gargen on a lovely summer evening having a nice glass of wine SIGH!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You are a trouble maker Rodney. Rub the salt in our wounds do ya?
Most important of all is the availability, in the UK, of the bakeries and cake shops and while I'm at it and since I don't drink I will swop the alcohol for that fabulous English(Devon) apple juice. There is nothing like it in the world.
Yes cheers your right about the real Devon apple juice, and you dont have to go to Devon to get it, most stores sale it,
I so like your list of things you love about the U.K. and your right about the lobbyists and the big corporations in the U.S. running the country.
I voted for the first time in England last month, just local voting for our councilors but Mum and I just went to the closest school just a 5 minute walk away and did it together, it was a nice experience for me,
And another first for me was a week before I left the U.S. the local elections were taking place at that time and Art my best friend and I went to the library and he showed me how to vote for the very first time in America, ----------- as shortly before the voting, about 6 months before I came home I became an American Citizen, it was so nice just to be finally able to vote in a Country that I had lived in way over half my life

Just been watching the England V Belgium game the score was 1-0 for England, thats two wins in a row for the first two games with the new England Manager.

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 2nd 2012 at 6:27 pm. Reason: score on football game.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

aliblu4191 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a more serious note. I totally understand the worry of getting poorly over here. I also don't fancy being retired in the US.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
..............Nice walks in the beautiful peaceful British countryside or a nice stroll down at the beach, Hmmmmm OH England thank you so so much for not changing too much over time,...............
Hi Rodney,
here are the photo's taken today of us doing exactly that, just what we came back for.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8993250&type=1

aliblu4191
My wife was very concerned about being retired and ill in USA, this was one of the main reasons for her wanting to return to UK
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

ditto, nor being poor in Canada, even though they have medical you still have to buy your prescription drugs, eye glasses, dentist etc!
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:08 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
ditto, nor being poor in Canada, even though they have medical you still have to buy your prescription drugs, eye glasses, dentist etc!
I'm on the Italian NHS system but things like prescription meds, glasses, dentist etc. I pay for - including my kids.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aliblu4191
On a more serious note. I totally understand the worry of getting poorly over here. I also don't fancy being retired in the US.
Those are my major reasons too... A Very scarey thought.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hi Rodney,
here are the photo's taken today of us doing exactly that, just what we came back for.

aliblu4191
My wife was very concerned about being retired and ill in USA, this was one of the main reasons for her wanting to return to UK
Hi John,
Yes thanks for posting the Pics, it doesn't matter where you are in the U.K. the country is always so green and beautiful, the exact opposite of where I came from ---- Vegas, 10 miles outside and you may see some real burnt up yellow grass and a few shrubs, the only live plant that can survive out there with no rain is the Cactus is that how you spell it?
Hows June doing? I have been reading your posts John and I know the Job that your American company continued for you in England stopped and you are officially retired now but cant remember if June is also retired yet?
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 10:08 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rodney,

aliblu4191

I can't see you pictures, is that because I don't have a Facebook account?
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes you just have to login as a new user and create a user name and pass word, it only takes a few minutes,
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Looks glorious....:-) thanks for the photos.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 12:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rodney,

aliblu4191
What a lovely day out that looks like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.