Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I watch on you tube, it only cuts off at each commercial break and then I click the next one and don't see the commercials.
http://www.youtube.com/user/NeverSurrender6
Thanks Pauline... I have netflix so that will work, My wife will love it, Not really Hahhahaahaa shes not been a fan in years, it was easy to pick out Dennis Tanner, its good to see Rita still there...
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:32 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
The concert started off with someone called Robbie Williams, he screamed out a song and literally murdered it,
Then some cat from America called William, he wasent good but not terrible either, I thought the first hour was really boring with a lot of talentless unknowns, when Elton John came out looking all pudgy and sounding like he needs to just hang it all up and retire, his first song was one of his oldest most boring ones so I knew that was the time for me to escape the agony and went to the kitchen and made me and Mum something to eat, when I came back guess what he was still singing ----- or whatever you call it!!! I guess you have guessed I have never liked Elton John, never!!!! theres only one other that I dislike even more then him and thats Phil Collins, remember him, I dont think he does anything anymore, he probably just sits at home and counts all his money these days, I wish Elton would do the same
Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey along with Stevie Wonder stole the whole show between them, all legends in there own right,
I thought Paul Mcartney winded up the show very well with an arrangement of some early Beetles songs, and then there was a breathtaking Firework display, 50,000 fireworks no less, Ive seen a lot of good ones but this one topped em all!!!!
Rodney,

I hope I don't lose this post, because I lost my last response. We won't get the concert in Canada until tomorrow night. I am going to record it and FF through all the bits I am not interested in. As you can guess, I will watching the entire Shirley Bassey segment. I am not a big fan of Elton John, so it is good to know that I am not alone. I like some of his early stuff, but beyond that I don't care for him. People look at me strangely when I say I don't care for him, as if he is some sort of god.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 12:36 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Thanks Pauline... I have netflix so that will work, My wife will love it, Not really Hahhahaahaa shes not been a fan in years, it was easy to pick out Dennis Tanner, its good to see Rita still there...
... and Emily Bishop is still there. Betty Driver, barmaid in the Rovers, recently passed away, but she was in it right to the end. I think she was in her 90's. I still miss Jack and Vera and Hilda Ogden. Such great characters. Also, miss Blanche, Deirdre's mum. Look up Coronation St, Blanche and AA on you tube, it is one of the most hilarious scenes ever. Not the being an alcholic is anything to laugh at, but Blanche is just brilliant in this scene. Classic Blanche.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
... and Emily Bishop is still there. Betty Driver, barmaid in the Rovers, recently passed away, but she was in it right to the end. I think she was in her 90's. I still miss Jack and Vera and Hilda Ogden. Such great characters. Also, miss Blanche, Deirdre's mum. Look up Coronation St, Blanche and AA on you tube, it is one of the most hilarious scenes ever. Not the being an alcholic is anything to laugh at, but Blanche is just brilliant in this scene. Classic Blanche.
Thanks for that I remember them all...
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Belles30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Blanche was a legend !
Old Jun 5th 2012, 6:32 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

The concert started off with someone called Robbie Williams, he screamed out a song and literally murdered it,
Then some cat from America called William, he wasent good but not terrible either, I thought the first hour was really boring with a lot of talentless unknowns, when Elton John came out looking all pudgy and sounding like he needs to just hang it all up and retire, his first song was one of his oldest most boring ones so I knew that was the time for me to escape the agony and went to the kitchen and made me and Mum something to eat, when I came back guess what he was still singing ----- or whatever you call it!!! I guess you have guessed I have never liked Elton John, never!!!! theres only one other that I dislike even more then him and thats Phil Collins, remember him, I dont think he does anything anymore, he probably just sits at home and counts all his money these days, I wish Elton would do the same
Tom Jones and Shirley Bassey along with Stevie Wonder stole the whole show between them, all legends in there own right,
I thought Paul Mcartney winded up the show very well with an arrangement of some early Beetles songs, and then there was a breathtaking Firework display, 50,000 fireworks no less, Ive seen a lot of good ones but this one topped em all!!!!

Rodney you are so out of touch. Whether anybody likes him or not the Robster is a wee bit well known.

Williams has sold over 70 million records worldwide, which ranks him among the best-selling music artists worldwide. He is the best-selling British solo artist in the United Kingdom and the best selling non-Latino artist in Latin America. Six of his albums are among the top 100 biggest-selling albums in the United Kingdom. He has also been honoured with seventeen BRIT Awards—more than any other artist—and seven ECHO Awards. In 2004, he was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame after being voted as the "Greatest Artist of the 1990s.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jun 5th 2012 at 6:49 am.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:59 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Also Will.i.am is a tiny bit known around the world.

I thought only Tom Jones still had it among the oldies. I've seen paul McCartney a few times in the last few years, but he's losing his voice now.

But I must ask, when did Prince Harry grow into such a hottie? There must be quite the queue waiting to date him!
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

The concert started off with someone called
all!!!!
I'm even more critical than you are, Rod - Paul Singing? Really? his voice is gone. same for Tom. But then, Tom was only ever a fairground singer ( so my Mother used to say). - had to leave the UK to get on - even left his Wife here, for most of the time. Opinions, only mine - but there you go. regards Don
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Rodney,

I hope I don't lose this post, because I lost my last response. We won't get the concert in Canada until tomorrow night. I am going to record it and FF through all the bits I am not interested in. As you can guess, I will watching the entire Shirley Bassey segment. I am not a big fan of Elton John, so it is good to know that I am not alone. I like some of his early stuff, but beyond that I don't care for him. People look at me strangely when I say I don't care for him, as if he is some sort of god.
I know isn't it crazy how some artists become so famous and make so much money even though they clearly have very little talent, they love him in America and no Im not jealous ----- just saying thats all
Old Jun 5th 2012, 10:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

I know isn't it crazy how some artists become so famous and make so much money even though they clearly have very little talent, they love him in America and no Im not jealous ----- just saying thats all
Ah come on Rodney, you cannot be serious about Elton John having very little talent I am not really a fan of the prima donna, but he has written some serious classic's with Bernie Taupin as well as movie scores.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Much as it breaks my heart to say it, I think its time Paul McCartney called it a day so he can be remembered for what he was; Elton John is getting there too. One person who would have been wonderful on the occasion is Julie Andrews but several years ago she had the grace to say she would no longer perform publicly as she feels her voice is not what it was - you have to respect a performer with the courage to do that. I didn't care for a lot of the younger stuff either, loved the Jubilee song, Shirley Bassey did pretty well & loved Robbie Williams' Mack the Knife.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by curleytops
Much as it breaks my heart to say it, I think its time Paul McCartney called it a day so he can be remembered for what he was; Elton John is getting there too. One person who would have been wonderful on the occasion is Julie Andrews but several years ago she had the grace to say she would no longer perform publicly as she feels her voice is not what it was - you have to respect a performer with the courage to do that. I didn't care for a lot of the younger stuff either, loved the Jubilee song, Shirley Bassey did pretty well & loved Robbie Williams' Mack the Knife.
Yes although I have never heard of Robbie Williams until I came back home, and he did indeed murder the first song of the concert but later on when he sung Mack the knife I did enjoy it, I think though that was because its a Bobby Darren song from the 70's and I loved his music, now HE Darren was a real show man and with talent just oooozzzzing from every part of his body just like Libarache did and so many more, ------ so you see when I remember this kind of talent its hard for me to appreciate much of the young new talent popping up these days.

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 5th 2012 at 11:57 am. Reason: add word
Old Jun 5th 2012, 11:59 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney you sound like my dad when I was a teenager - next thing you'll be saying that all those young pop singers need a haircut and a short spell in the army

I don't think the oldies have any more talent than the youngsters - what changes is our ability to appreciate new talent as we get older.

Talent is in the eye of the beholder anyway. I can't bear Shirley Bassey but I would never say she has no talent - lots of people like her, so there must be something there. I'm not a fan of Elton John, but the man's music has touched millions of people all over the world. Jessie J's music is too young for me, but I do enjoy dancing round the kitchen to her songs while I'm cooking

Now there is one person I'm happy to declare has no talent for singing - ME! I sound like an injured cat when I try to sing.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 3:19 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Rodney you are so out of touch. Whether anybody likes him or not the Robster is a wee bit well known.

Williams has sold over 70 million records worldwide, which ranks him among the best-selling music artists worldwide. He is the best-selling British solo artist in the United Kingdom and the best selling non-Latino artist in Latin America. Six of his albums are among the top 100 biggest-selling albums in the United Kingdom. He has also been honoured with seventeen BRIT Awards—more than any other artist—and seven ECHO Awards. In 2004, he was inducted into the UK Music Hall of Fame after being voted as the "Greatest Artist of the 1990s.
TBH Robbie Williams has never 'made it' here in the US which is probably why Rodney/Jasper hadn't heard of him. I know that Robbie moved to Los Angeles but he's never been able to crack the US market and is pretty much unknown here, despite becoming famous in most of the rest of the world. Same for Kylie Minogue.

I'm surprised that Rod Stewart wasn't performing at the concert, I guess he wasn't invited, nor violinist Nigel Kennedy. However, the Queen is an old lady and I imagine that very little of the music at the concert appealed to her - for example "Live & Let Die" was a poor choice when you think of the vast repertoire of songs McCartney could have picked which would have been more pleasing to her ears (I understand she wore earplugs, however!).

The concert is being shown on US television this evening, although I was listening to it on BBC Radio 2 on my iPad yesterday. I have to agree about Elton John and Paul McCartney....who incidentally will be performing at the Olympics ceremonies
Old Jun 5th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya

Exactly Barb, all these awards you mention are all from the U.K. and latin american countries, ------- but is he known at all in the U.S.? I never heard of him or Gary Barlow until I came home, or any of these comedians over hear either, its like Cheryl Cole she's quite well known here but when Simon brought her to America to be on the panel for ex-factor everyone was saying who is she? I never heard of her until I came home,

Dont get me wrong there are many Americans that are Just famous in there own country too and have not achieved worldwide fame, nothing wrong with that, just like a lot of English Artists in the U.K. that havent cracked America yet, nothing wrong with that either,

You see this is how I see it, most of the wonderful people on this thread who have been living in America for decades like I did still kept in touch with the up and coming Brit Artists, what with BBC America and PBS, and the recent invention of the computor (: and U-TUBE
Well I understand that and I think thats great for them, but I was never that kind of Expat, I left all that behind when I left England, the only people I kept in touch with were my family, all that time,
like ----- try to imagin being in Prison for 30 odd years with no British TV or Brit Newspapers, and then you were released from your English prison after serving your freaking life sentance, you woud then be exposed to TV and everyone on the tube are compleatly unknown to you, you have never seen them before, ----- well I was not in Prison for 30 plus years but I didnt watch any British TV or read any Brit newspapers in all that time!!!!! just about every single entertainer in England now that I dont know was not even born when I left England to live in the U.S.

Last edited by jasper123; Jun 5th 2012 at 10:22 pm. Reason: add words

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.