Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jun 3rd 2012, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hi Rodney,
here are the photo's taken today of us doing exactly that, just what we came back for.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...8993250&type=1

aliblu4191
My wife was very concerned about being retired and ill in USA, this was one of the main reasons for her wanting to return to UK
Thats a lovely piece of Fish... Yum Yum... Norfolk is lovely...
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi John,
Yes thanks for posting the Pics, it doesn't matter where you are in the U.K. the country is always so green and beautiful, the exact opposite of where I came from ---- Vegas, 10 miles outside and you may see some real burnt up yellow grass and a few shrubs, the only live plant that can survive out there with no rain is the Cactus is that how you spell it?
Hows June doing? I have been reading your posts John and I know the Job that your American company continued for you in England stopped and you are officially retired now but cant remember if June is also retired yet?
Take care,
Rodney.
Hi Rodney,
Thanks for asking, June retired a few months before we moved back, it was one of the pegs that set us on track to move back.
For her, like me, it wasn't retirement as much as being laid off and not wanting to struggle to find / take on another job.
If she had been in UK her official retirement age would have been a couple years prior at 60 but being in US with a later retirement age she continued to past 62 before the lay-off event came and having started at 15 years old declared enough is enough.

June is quite happy and glad to back in UK.
I have come to accept that 2 pints and a packet peanuts takes most of £8.

Regards

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jun 3rd 2012 at 8:48 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Hi Rodney,
Thanks for asking, June retired a few months before we moved back, it was one of the pegs that set us on track to move back.
For her, like me, it wasn't retirement as much as being laid off and not wanting to struggle to find / take on another job.
If she had been in UK her official retirement age would have been a couple years prior at 60 but being in US with a later retirement age she continued to past 62 before the lay-off event came and having started at 15 years old declared enough is enough.

June is quite happy and glad to back in UK.
I have come to accept that 2 pints and a packet peanuts takes most of £8.

Regards
John ------ June's experience on retiring in U.S. was just about the same as mine, I worked at a huge international hotel and timeshare resort company, I was working there for 8 years and very happy, I did intend on working there for way past r etirement age, but at the age of 62 I was part of a group lay off in the location that I was working and 33 people were laid off, we were able to get Unemployment benefits,
Anyway I was making good money before lay off, and my benefits were not enough to live on so I was forced to apply for my S.S. early at 2 months before my 63rd birthday, so as I didn't work till 66 for me full retirment age, my S.S. will always be reduced by 25% then I got a Job after 7 months of benefits but it only paid a fraction of the money I was making from my company, a couple of years later at 65 I came home to retire, I will be 67 in a few days

You mentioned the cost of beer, two pints and a packet of peanuts here in a pub cost £8 ------ yep thats about right, it sure aint cheap is it, but anyway John do you remember telling me a while ago that I should dump my Sunday bottle of Stella Artois and instead drink a nice strong English Ale, you said you cant beat it!!!! well guess what I did just that ----- and so I now buy a big 500ml bottle of strong dark ale to have after my Sunday Roast and yes it is lovely, Ive tried lots of ales, I buy them at Aldi's and there all £1.49 per big bottle 500 ml ---- almost a pint, the one I like the most is called (old peculier) by Theakston, its 5.6% alc vol its a beer from north yorkshire, since 1827 made with barley and wheat ------ great taste and oh sooooo strong
Rodney.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I am watching the Queens 60 year jubilee celebrations on TV from the river Thames in London, WOW it is wonderful, its huge!!!!
It started at 10am this morning and its now 4.40pm and theres lots to see yet!!! there are one thousand both big and small vessels (all powered completely by men and women, hundreds of rowing boats, and big long viking rowing boats, then there are barges and steam boats galore, all the boats are decorated in beautiful bright colors,
The Queen and the royal family are all on the Royal Barge, a very big and long luxurious boat refurbished especially for the Jubilee, it took 2 years to restore it,
It is the biggest Jubilee for over 300 years they say,

On this special Sunday there are over 10,000 street parties all over the U.K.
very much the same as the Queens coronation street parties held across the country in 1953, my street way back then had a great street party and I attended along with my Mum & Dad and late Sister, I was 8 years old then, the Queen was crowned in 1952 ----- 60 years ago but her coronation was not until the next year 1953,
Unfortunately this time my street dont have a street party but there are several around Pompey,

It has been raining most of the day in London so that put a bit of a damper on the festivities, but everyone involved and all the 10's of thousands of people lining the river Thames just fight on with the great British Bull Dog Spirit ----- along with the Queen herself and the whole of the Royal Family,

Its great to see all this splendor and it certainly makes you very very Proud to be British!!!!
Only in the United Kingdom would you see this kind of thing, so wonderful, so lovely,
Oh its so nice to be home
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:49 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've been watching it live on the BBC for the last two hours, I am amazed she can stand there so long. It's a pretty amazing sight. I've never seen the Tower bridge up before.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 4:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Watching it here in Canada. Makes me a bit teary. I hope I have the Queen's stamina when I am her age.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I've been watching it live on the BBC for the last two hours, I am amazed she can stand there so long. It's a pretty amazing sight. I've never seen the Tower bridge up before.
I've seen it up before but never for that amount of time!! It was a truely amazing pagaent - and kudos to everyone for carrying on in the dismal weather - especially the choir siging with the London Philharmonic who all looked like drowned rats at the end there but still sang magnificently Also loved the War Horse tribute - the puppet horse acknowledging HM. Hopefully the weather will be drier tomorrow for the concert but regardless it will be amazing!!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I had to run out today on some errands and passed a 'party' in the park in Harrogate. I felt so bad for the organizers. There were lots of stalls and tents but hardly any attendees - just the odd clump of people huddled miserably under umbrellas. No reflection on the Queen - this just wasn't the weather for street parties.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorac05
I've seen it up before but never for that amount of time!! It was a truely amazing pagaent - and kudos to everyone for carrying on in the dismal weather - especially the choir siging with the London Philharmonic who all looked like drowned rats at the end there but still sang magnificently Also loved the War Horse tribute - the puppet horse acknowledging HM. Hopefully the weather will be drier tomorrow for the concert but regardless it will be amazing!!
I agree, the entire pageant was fabulous in spite of the rain. Watched from start to finish.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

I'm currently on a visit to the US and watched the whole Thames Jubilee Pageant on BBC live on the computer--it was wonderful, moving, historic, good lump-in-the-throat stuff.

Though what a shame about the weather, indeed. However the indomitable British spirit, as exemplified everywhere but perhaps most obviously, as has been mentioned, by the choir on top of the London Philharmonic boat--the Royal Academy of Music chorus I think they were?--singing their hearts out, utterly drenched.

I am so in awe of The Queen and Prince Philip who at their ages remained standing through the whole thing, despite those lovely plush thrones available right there--incredible. And not only standing, but cheerful, smiling, and waving to the end. I do hope that when it was over they got to have a sit down and a nice cup of tea!

One couldn't help feeling a little sentimental about the whole thing, proud of the pageantry and Britishness--and how lucky we are to have a Queen who has served her country so long, and with such dignity and endurance.

Tina
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

My youngest daughter and son-in-law are in London right now and saw the whole thing. Son-in-law has an I-phone so was able to send me a couple of text messages and emails. Even though it rained, they really enjoyed themselves and the wonderful atmosphere.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Also watched it for 4 hours and loved it. Ditto what everyone else has said! I had tears in my eyes and wanted to get on the next plane back to England!
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Another couple of pageant watchers here. Love all that stuff. The happiness and enthusiasm of the people offsets the day-to-day negativity. Love the music. We are admirers of the Queen.
Later we watched a re-run of 'All the Queens Horses', staged at Windsor. Loved all that too.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Chrissie Chop is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I watched it earlier on the tube as well, what a spectacle to hold, 60 years. Maybe she could be the first monarch to reach a ruby jubilee!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jasper123
John do you remember telling me a while ago that I should dump my Sunday bottle of Stella Artois and instead drink a nice strong English Ale, you said you cant beat it!!!! well guess what I did just that ----- and so I now buy a big 500ml bottle of strong dark ale to have after my Sunday Roast and yes it is lovely, Ive tried lots of ales, I buy them at Aldi's and there all £1.49 per big bottle 500 ml ---- almost a pint, the one I like the most is called (old peculier) by Theakston, its 5.6% alc vol its a beer from north yorkshire, since 1827 made with barley and wheat ------ great taste and oh sooooo strong
Rodney.
Hi Rodney, yes, I recall preaching the virtues of real ale.

My favorites are among the darker beers, including Old Peculiar.
There has been a recent trend towards lighter coloured beers, often using a little citrus, those are quite tasty too. June likes these although she prefers fizzy ciders. I like an occasional real cider but many scrumpies are too sour for me. It's all down to personal taste.

Many people can't take to real ale, I'm glad you tired it and liked it.

I am with you on Aldi's too. Basic groceries at basic price.
I found their Scotch Beef burgers are a good substitute for USA one's to satisfy our occasional hankering.

Cheers

Last edited by J.JsOH; Jun 4th 2012 at 2:05 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.