Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 19th 2012, 4:03 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by lf1
YIKES!! We are one step closer to moving back! Our house has just been sold. Closing date is 19th July. Time to break out the bubbly
Congratulations. It gives me hope to hear that houses are selling somewhere.
Old May 19th 2012, 5:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Congratulations. It gives me hope to hear that houses are selling somewhere.
Thank You. Now I need to get organized for the next stage of this move. We are taking some things with us, but the rest I need to donate or sell. I am glad that we did a big clear out before listing the house, so that lightens the load a little.
Old May 19th 2012, 5:48 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Thinking that flights into the UK may be over booked I think of flying by way of Reykjavik, Iceland into the UK. I think they fly into Scotland.

Do you have the house picked out?

yes. We already have that sorted. I am looking forward to living in a smaller house - less cleaning. I have been training HID on domestic matters so that I can delegate all the chores to him. I can but dream!
Old May 20th 2012, 10:53 am
Just Joined

cazzy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
From what I have read it pays to shop around for insurance in the UK as the rates can vary a great deal.
There is another forum on here that maybe more helpful for you and its called Taking a Mazda3 back to the UK.
Good Luck
Cheers
thanks will look at that
Old May 20th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Morning everyone, congrats on selling the house If1.
Just wanted to let my friends here I havent forgotten about getting together, I have daughter 2 here at the moment and when she goes back we can def. plan something.
I start work June 6th. I have arranged a carer to go in see my mum once a day, she is my biggest worry... well plus my 19 year old who hasnt managed to get an interview yet. She has applied for 7 apprenticeships, jobs at Asda Tescos and in a Day nursery. She is getting job seekers though thank god.
I hope everyone is doing well.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Just wanted to let my friends here I havent forgotten about getting together, I have daughter 2 here at the moment and when she goes back we can def. plan something.
I start work June 6th. I have arranged a carer to go in see my mum once a day, she is my biggest worry... well plus my 19 year old who hasnt managed to get an interview yet. She has applied for 7 apprenticeships, jobs at Asda Tescos and in a Day nursery. She is getting job seekers though thank god.
Thanks for posting.
I have a suggestion so as daughter gets some leads. Why doesn't she do some volunteer work. I know a lot of people have found work that way.

Cheers
Old May 20th 2012, 2:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Jobseekers will probably start sending her on short courses won't they? Or maybe she has to ask for them, that she gets on one of the apprenticeships.
I found my Ds job for him, I scoured the internet a couple times a week and found things for him to apply for.
Old May 20th 2012, 6:24 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Thanks Charleygirl. It is such a relief to have that part of the process over. Now onto the next stage. I hope your daughter finds a job so that you can both breathe a sigh of relief. How is your job going? Are you working in a nursery? Old brain is a bit foggy today as I got together with a bunch of girlfriends last night and forgot to remind myself that I am no longer a teenager. Needless to say, I am moving at a very slow pace today. Never again - until the next time!
Old May 20th 2012, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Great to hear from u again Denise, I know that life isn't easy for you right now but try to stay positive,
I will be keeping my eyes on this spot for the arrangements for our reunion with you and everyone over here now,
Take good care,
Rodney.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:45 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Well, now that I am at the packing, shipping, selling & donating stage, does anyone have any tips on easing the process. OH wants to have a garage sale, which I have never done before, and quite frankly I am not looking forward to it. I am not into haggling so I might just put him in charge of all price negotiations.

Has anyone used a service that will sell all your household goods?

Any tips on having a garage/home moving sale?

Thank you.
Old May 20th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Thank you all for your encouragement and wise words. It's just what I need, but there are few sources to get it from! Apologies for the late response, we have been without internet for 3 days (and still are at home, I'm posting from work) - it's been frightening to realise how reliant I am on it!

Well we have taken a massive step and sent all the money from our house sale and our savings back to the UK. We don't want to gamble with the exchange rate later in the year and were happy with what we got. Sure, if we'd done it a few months ago we would have got more, but that's always the way. The service I use lists all your historic transfers, and when we first sent money back years ago we were getting 43-ish pence to the dollar, it's now just over 62p, that's a great increase for us!

lf1, congratulations on selling your house, now you can really start planning! I can't give you too many tips on services, I don't think you're in Australia? We sold a lot of stuff on ebay when we sold our house, and it really mounted up. We are now close enough to the move date that we are starting to sell again, have just made about $500 on ebay over the weekend and have a sort of car boot planned for a couple of weeks time.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:01 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Almo

Thanks for your reply. I am in Canada. I have never used e-bay or kijji. Do you have to list each item separately? Does the buyer come round to your house so can exchange the goods and the cash? These questions might sound daft, but I am a real novice in the sales dept. and especially online.

Best of luck with your move. Where are you moving to? You have probably posted that before, but I can't keep track of everybody. I think I will make a wee list so that I don't keep losing track of everybody.
Old May 21st 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Well, now that I am at the packing, shipping, selling & donating stage, does anyone have any tips on easing the process. OH wants to have a garage sale, which I have never done before, and quite frankly I am not looking forward to it. I am not into haggling so I might just put him in charge of all price negotiations.

Has anyone used a service that will sell all your household goods?

Any tips on having a garage/home moving sale?

Thank you.
I am coming out of lurking mode to answer this. Before leaving the USA I had a series of yard sales, two with other families, and those made me quite a bit of money. Never a profit, but got rid of a lot of stuff. Then the final sale was a three day Friday - Sunday garage sale, set up in a friends garage as I had none of my own, where I displayed the items as though they were in a house setting: kitchen area, living room etc. And that did well - had a book corner with bookshelves and a comfortable chair, so people sat and browsed then bought. I was still left with a lot of household items, and sent those to a consignment store, who put the proceeds directly into my US bank account as, by that time, I had left the states. They sent me a statement showing what was sold and for how much. I also joined in with others in a local Estate Sale, run by an agent, and though I got higher prices that way, I did not make as much as I expected to, once I had paid his commission - I forget what percentage that was. If you want any details of prices I asked etc. then please send me a private message so I don't bore others with that. If you have over $5000 value in goods, you can get an agent to come to your house and sell the items - check with your local Real Estate companies to find who does that local to you. I do not know the commission asked for doing that - I wanted to see who bought my stuff, as a lot of it was family items with sentimental value, and I wanted people to know the various histories - I even had a folder with details for one specific piece of furniture. So it IS a hassle. But part of the clearing and moving needs. Hope that helps.
Old May 21st 2012, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Rosie.
Now 'ow about some photies of (memory blank) your new town. I got the pictures of the flowers and plants. Thank you.

Cheers
Old May 21st 2012, 4:16 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
I am coming out of lurking mode to answer this. Before leaving the USA I had a series of yard sales, two with other families, and those made me quite a bit of money. Never a profit, but got rid of a lot of stuff. Then the final sale was a three day Friday - Sunday garage sale, set up in a friends garage as I had none of my own, where I displayed the items as though they were in a house setting: kitchen area, living room etc. And that did well - had a book corner with bookshelves and a comfortable chair, so people sat and browsed then bought. I was still left with a lot of household items, and sent those to a consignment store, who put the proceeds directly into my US bank account as, by that time, I had left the states. They sent me a statement showing what was sold and for how much. I also joined in with others in a local Estate Sale, run by an agent, and though I got higher prices that way, I did not make as much as I expected to, once I had paid his commission - I forget what percentage that was. If you want any details of prices I asked etc. then please send me a private message so I don't bore others with that. If you have over $5000 value in goods, you can get an agent to come to your house and sell the items - check with your local Real Estate companies to find who does that local to you. I do not know the commission asked for doing that - I wanted to see who bought my stuff, as a lot of it was family items with sentimental value, and I wanted people to know the various histories - I even had a folder with details for one specific piece of furniture. So it IS a hassle. But part of the clearing and moving needs. Hope that helps.
Thanks Islandwoman. I'll send you a PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.