Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 7th 2012, 4:15 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I saw one episode and honestly, I hated it. It was very sad. There is a series based on Kate Atkinson's brilliant detective novels and the main actor from that should have been the one who played DCI Banks - he's perfect! Unfortunately the guy they chose wasn't and it all just fell flat. At least in my opinion.

Edited to add: this is the guy who should have played banks IMO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdVvxgMDfag
That is too bad. I was looking forward to seeing it. The same thing happened with Ian Rankin's "Rebus" character. In the original series they cast John Hannah, who was not in my mind Rebus, he was too young and thin. Then they brought in Ken Stott to play Rebus - now he was Rebus in my mind. However, they cut down the showtime to 70 mins (I think) and that was not enough time to develop the stories as they should have been. However, I still enjoyed watching Ken Stott play Rebus. Sometime it is easier to accept the actors if you haven't read the books.

I haven't read Kate Atkinson's novels but I did watch Jason Isaacs in the TV show and I did enjoy it. Just loved seeing Edinburgh on the telly. One of my favourite cities and I hope to spend lots of time there when I come back.
Old May 7th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I've not really been anywhere, just don't post as much as I used to. Over the years I drift in and out, depending on how busy I am, and whether I feel like I have anything worthwhile to contribute.

I don't think I ever mentioned having a wife (not married), and as for Suzy, I explained what happened to her in a post on January 8th:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...33#post9828933

- you probably missed it because it was in the US Forum. Coincidentally, her final vet's bill arrived this weekend.
Dunrovin,
I am so sorry to hear about your Suzy. You knew the time was right. Sadly our dogs never live long enough. Take care.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:26 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've not really been anywhere, just don't post as much as I used to. Over the years I drift in and out, depending on how busy I am, and whether I feel like I have anything worthwhile to contribute.

I don't think I ever mentioned having a wife (not married), and as for Suzy, I explained what happened to her in a post on January 8th:

- you probably missed it because it was in the US Forum. Coincidentally, her final vet's bill arrived this weekend.
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about poor Suzy. I missed that over in the US section.
Old May 7th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

My system is broken so I can't reply

Cheers
Old May 7th 2012, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

I always pictured Ken Stott as Rebus, he`s got that bolshie air that John Hannah didnt have. I`ve got all the Rebus novels, and read them when we first came to Washington, it was relentless sunshine outside but in my head an Edinburgh fog swirled!
Old May 7th 2012, 7:29 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jemima55
I always pictured Ken Stott as Rebus, he`s got that bolshie air that John Hannah didnt have. I`ve got all the Rebus novels, and read them when we first came to Washington, it was relentless sunshine outside but in my head an Edinburgh fog swirled!
I love the Rebus series. When I last saw Ian Rankin, close friend you know (just kidding) another book signing, he hinted that Rebus would probably becoming out of retirement.

One of my favourite scenes is when his boss says ot Rebus "John, you are hanging on a shoogly peg". I now use that line on hubby when he steps out of line. LOL
Old May 7th 2012, 7:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

jemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to beholdjemima55 is a splendid one to behold

And so will I from now on! A while ago Ian Rankin did a book signing at Borders down the road from us and I missed it by days, was ticked off about it, but I sought out a signed book to make up for it!
I love novels where the hero is constantly on the brink of falling apart, makes me feel so much better!
A few years ago we stayed in Sicily and I used to see a young "jack of all trades" guy who was the image of a young Ken Stott. He fascinated me, wasnt surprised to read Ken Stott has Sicilian ancestry!

Last edited by jemima55; May 7th 2012 at 7:37 pm.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:54 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

And so will I from now on! A while ago Ian Rankin did a book signing at Borders down the road from us and I missed it by days, was ticked off about it, but I sought out a signed book to make up for it!
I love novels where the hero is constantly on the brink of falling apart, makes me feel so much better!
A few years ago we stayed in Sicily and I used to see a young "jack of all trades" guy who was the image of a young Ken Stott. He fascinated me, wasnt surprised to read Ken Stott has Sicilian ancestry!
That is too bad. He really is quite entertaining. As I mentioned, further up the thread, he is going to be at the crime writers festival in Harrogate in July this year, but it is probably a bit of a hike! Where are you moving back to? You may have posted this before, but I am over 50 and that is my excuse for not knowing. LOL
Old May 8th 2012, 8:56 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Yes, isn't the UK outdoors so nice.

We go out daily too and longer walks two or three times a week. This weekend we took the bus out to the country then walked 1 hour along Peddars Way, route of a road built by the Romans, saw deer, hares, pheasants. We had real ale and lunch in a country pub beside duck ponds, walked back the same way and caught a bus back home. This was our habit before we moved away and was a desire in moving back. There are endless options and variations on this to find.

Today's good thought about UK, Smaller house means the tap has to run less before the hot water comes out.

As Jasper/Rodney says, we all come back for different reasons; for us, we like our days in the countryside, we both grew up in the countryside.
We do not have support of a close loving family here but even so J.J/June did not want to potentially be alone trying to support herself in the US and is more secure with the UK social safety net.
To fulfill our need for adventure of warm foreign places; we have a trip to inland Spain coming up soon.

ps; the pic of Peddars Way was from last summer, it's a bit damper at the moment, more suitable for the ducks
Lovely photo's John, thanks for sharing. I miss my country lanes living in the big smoke but yesterday I did find a nice walk from Kingston along the Thames which I will try when the weather is a bit better and I am not carrying bags of shopping.

I also saw lots of houseboats yesterday with washing on the lines on the decks, I had forgotten all about people living on boats, seems a really cool thing for the summer months.

Last edited by Beedubya; May 8th 2012 at 9:40 am.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

If1, I`m moving back to Knaresborough (next door to Harrogate) but probably not in time for the festival!
Old May 8th 2012, 1:44 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

If1, I`m moving back to Knaresborough (next door to Harrogate) but probably not in time for the festival!
Lovely. You'll be close to Sallysimmons. We will be up north in the Scottish Borders. I can't wait to visit Yorkshire again. I have been in love with it ever since I was a youngster watching All Creatures Great and Small. That is a show that I will never tire of watching.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lf1
Lovely. You'll be close to Sallysimmons. We will be up north in the Scottish Borders. I can't wait to visit Yorkshire again. I have been in love with it ever since I was a youngster watching All Creatures Great and Small. That is a show that I will never tire of watching.
Interesting coicidence that we`ll be so close to each other. I foresee tea at Betty`s.
Old May 8th 2012, 5:20 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Interesting coicidence that we`ll be so close to each other. I foresee tea at Betty`s.
It's a date!
Old May 9th 2012, 3:48 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

So sorry to hear about Suzy, But glad you got to spend some quality last few days. I Have just got 2 St. Bernard puppy's and making the most of them.
wish you all the best.
Old May 11th 2012, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

After de-lurking I've got back into hiding: I'm feeling a bit wobbly about the whole thing. I keep reading articles that frighten me about UK unemployment/economic prospects, some of the posts on the main Australia board worry me too and to cap it all the blinking Aussie dollar is weakening against the pound!

The biggest problem I have is that, to my shame, I don't understand enough about economics and politics to be able to evaluate a lot of what I'm reading properly.

Anyway, we are going to a Sunday market in a couple of weeks to try and offload a whole lot of our junk, so that's one more step in the right direction.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.