Pet Health Insurance.

Old Jan 8th 2012, 7:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pet Health Insurance.

Originally Posted by dunroving
Ditto, plus every year or two the company I was with went bust or merged with another company so I became a "new" customer and as Suzy (my dog) got older, the premiums got higher.

She's currently almost 15, has had almost no health problems, her current premiums are £55 per month and I've probably paid £8k/$14k in premiums over her lifetime.

There's part of me that thinks if she had a health condition so bad that it would cost $1,000's to treat I wouldn't put her through it.

I almost think it's better just to put money away every month in a special healthcare account and use as and when needed, rather than pay pet health insurance.
When I posted this less than a month ago, I never imagined I'd be posting what I'm about to post. Three weeks ago, Suzy was an amazingly robust, active Labrador (albeit ageing gracefully).

Over Christmas and New Year, Suzy got seriously ill and went downhill very quickly, starting on Christmas Eve. The details of her symptoms make for a long and unpleasant description, but thankfully on Monday and Wednesday she had two sets of powerful (but in the long-term, toxic) injections that, along with some excellent suggestions and support from Scout (a fellow BE-er and dog-lover) and Elaine (Suzy's dog-walker) meant that Suzy was able to eat and drink again from Tuesday (spoiled on boiled chicken, chicken broth, and Science Diet puppy food), got through Tuesday to Thursday night without any vomiting or diarrhea, and we had a miraculously wonderful, long last walk on Friday morning before I took her to the vets for her final sleep. She passed away peacefully with two pairs of loving hands on her, and looking into my eyes the whole time.

Some of you may know Suzy's story but she has been with me from TN to Scotland, to NC, to Wales, and back to Scotland. She has hiked a week on the Appalachian Trail (carrying all her gear in a backpack), climbed dozens of difficult mountains, run on many beaches, travelled by train, plane, ferry, and automobile, escaped from kennels and dog-walkers, and stolen many hearts along the way. She was a rescue dog with a traumatic beginning to life, who had a meek, genteel personality, but over the years grew to trust people to the point that she would sometimes actually walk up to strangers on our walks.

I was reluctant to post this because it has been an intensely painful time, and I am a very private person. However, I wanted to make the point that, with her pet insurance I could have continued to take her in for regular steroid injections to give me a few more days (maybe even weeks) with her. I could also have put her through the stress of x-rays, more blood tests, maybe even surgery, to determine if the mass we found in her stomach area was malignant or could be removed.

The steroids gave her a burst of energy in the final three mornings and a couple of brief lively spurts in the middle of the day. But it was very clear in between that she was gravely ill, and on her last two mornings we made it out of the back door just in time to avoid an in-house accident. I have to admit that when I saw her back to her "old self" on that last walk, I was sorely tempted to put off the final moment.

Everyone is different, but for me it was more important to allow her to pass with dignity, calmly, under our terms, with the vet that I trusted, than to push the limits until I regretted it. Sometimes, having the insurance (or the money) to pursue a miracle cure doesn't mean that we should.

[I've tried to upload a movie, which I've never tried before - if it doesn't work, could the mods embed it in my message?]
Attached Files
File Type: mpg
Spot The Dog.MPG (6.71 MB, 113 views)
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:00 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm very sorry for your loss. The money I had spent on Molly was mainly on tests not treatment.The only treatment was antibiotic shots and an enema because she was so impacted. She had seemed to be doing better and then went downhill over a weekend. As I said my vet told me not to pursue further options because it wasn't worth it to Molly. I would not put an animal through anything unecessary. I will continue to insure Denney and hope he has a happy healthy life.
Old Jan 8th 2012, 10:34 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

dunroving......what a lovely owner/friend Suzy had, she had the best life and I so feel for you I love any animal and have been heart broken a few times.....
Old Jan 9th 2012, 1:36 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

When I posted this less than a month ago, I never imagined I'd be posting what I'm about to post. Three weeks ago, Suzy was an amazingly robust, active Labrador (albeit ageing gracefully).

Over Christmas and New Year, Suzy got seriously ill and went downhill very quickly, starting on Christmas Eve. The details of her symptoms make for a long and unpleasant description, but thankfully on Monday and Wednesday she had two sets of powerful (but in the long-term, toxic) injections that, along with some excellent suggestions and support from Scout (a fellow BE-er and dog-lover) and Elaine (Suzy's dog-walker) meant that Suzy was able to eat and drink again from Tuesday (spoiled on boiled chicken, chicken broth, and Science Diet puppy food), got through Tuesday to Thursday night without any vomiting or diarrhea, and we had a miraculously wonderful, long last walk on Friday morning before I took her to the vets for her final sleep. She passed away peacefully with two pairs of loving hands on her, and looking into my eyes the whole time.

Some of you may know Suzy's story but she has been with me from TN to Scotland, to NC, to Wales, and back to Scotland. She has hiked a week on the Appalachian Trail (carrying all her gear in a backpack), climbed dozens of difficult mountains, run on many beaches, travelled by train, plane, ferry, and automobile, escaped from kennels and dog-walkers, and stolen many hearts along the way. She was a rescue dog with a traumatic beginning to life, who had a meek, genteel personality, but over the years grew to trust people to the point that she would sometimes actually walk up to strangers on our walks.

I was reluctant to post this because it has been an intensely painful time, and I am a very private person. However, I wanted to make the point that, with her pet insurance I could have continued to take her in for regular steroid injections to give me a few more days (maybe even weeks) with her. I could also have put her through the stress of x-rays, more blood tests, maybe even surgery, to determine if the mass we found in her stomach area was malignant or could be removed.

The steroids gave her a burst of energy in the final three mornings and a couple of brief lively spurts in the middle of the day. But it was very clear in between that she was gravely ill, and on her last two mornings we made it out of the back door just in time to avoid an in-house accident. I have to admit that when I saw her back to her "old self" on that last walk, I was sorely tempted to put off the final moment.

Everyone is different, but for me it was more important to allow her to pass with dignity, calmly, under our terms, with the vet that I trusted, than to push the limits until I regretted it. Sometimes, having the insurance (or the money) to pursue a miracle cure doesn't mean that we should.

[I've tried to upload a movie, which I've never tried before - if it doesn't work, could the mods embed it in my message?]
I am so very, very sorry to hear about Suzy...I know the two of you have been through so much together.

I lost my beloved 13 yr old Cavalier 4 weeks ago. I still can't talk about her without crying. Perhaps Suzy and Charlie are playing together in the kennels in the sky.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 9:31 am
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm so sorry dunroving. We just lost our rat Lilac who died at the vets in the early hours of today, probably of cancer. Our vets charge £140 now for emergencies before midnight (just went up), before any treatment etc. Although we gladly paid it and we're glad she was on pain meds when she died, but wish we could have been with her.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 2:14 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere sympathy to dunroving and Squirrel. Saying goodbye to our animal friends is always so very hard, but the most loving thing we can do for them is to take away the pain and let them go with dignity.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry DR. Its amazing how they become such integral parts of our lives isn't it and the void they leave behind when it's their time. I know I will be utterly devastated when my 2 cats leave us. I feel the same as you do. If they are in pain, and its unlikely there are any treatments that will give them the same quality of life, it's unfair to keep them living.

When you're ready, I'm sure there's another one out there that would love to make a new life with you.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 3:58 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirrel
I'm so sorry dunroving. We just lost our rat Lilac who died at the vets in the early hours of today, probably of cancer. Our vets charge £140 now for emergencies before midnight (just went up), before any treatment etc. Although we gladly paid it and we're glad she was on pain meds when she died, but wish we could have been with her.
I am so sorry Squirrel
Old May 14th 2012, 9:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Dunroving, I am deeply sorry about Suzy. I know only too well the knife-stabbing pain in the heart we feel when we lose a pet - and the endless tears - months on end.

I have lost many of my own over the years. The pain never goes away completely and the tears still flow from time to time. Nevertheless, I will always be grateful for the time I was privileged to spend with each one of them and for the unconditional, endless love in return. So many beautiful memories . . .

I hope one day you will own another pet. I know it's too early now but you have so much love to give to an animal and it was always very, very clear to me how much Suzy meant to you.

They are not only pets; they are our partners in life.
Old May 14th 2012, 10:04 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by penguinbar
My husband works at the ASPCA.
Does he work at the 92nd Street branch? I send them money each month in a recurring donation. They do a great job.

She passed away peacefully with two pairs of loving hands on her, and looking into my eyes the whole time.
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
the most loving thing we can do for them is to take away the pain and let them go with dignity.
Amen to that.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:14 pm

Yes my husband works at the 92nd Street ASPCA
Old May 14th 2012, 11:25 pm
Banned

Primula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura aboutPrimula has a spectacular aura about

Yes my husband works at the 92nd Street ASPCA
That has to be a very satisfying job.
Old May 14th 2012, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by Primula
That has to be a very satisfying job.
Well he is the mail room supervisor there. He doesn't really work with the animals. He does always send me photos of the new arrivals and I want to adopt them all.
Old May 15th 2012, 12:27 am
Banned

Well he is the mail room supervisor there. He doesn't really work with the animals.
The place couldn't function without a mailroom supervisor. Someone has to deliver all those donation checks!
Old May 15th 2012, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Primula
The place couldn't function without a mailroom supervisor. Someone has to deliver all those donation checks!
Very true! They do get a staggering amount of them!