Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I just looked up Durham and realized it's only an hour and 20 minutes from me. I had no idea it was so close. Will definitely take a trip there soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rodney come to the north on that trip soon - you'll love it!
Yes indeed Sally, only an hour north of York on the train, and as
mikelincs says, well worth the trip. And river walk is lovely. Cathedral and castle are on peninsula, high hill in loop of River Wear. Town has charm too. Lots of history.

Tina
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Yes, Durham's well worth a visit, Rodney, and of course York is on the way, with its wonderful Minster and lots of interesting things to see...

Your Mum's Senior Club sounds great, I admire these 80 and 90 year olds who are game for all that travelling, I get pretty exhausted by travel myself these days!!!

Perhaps you need to find a Junior Club for yourself to take some trips with??!

Tina
Hi Tina there are loads of senior clubs for people of my age group that I could join here in Portsmouth, Im 67 now, and I want to join something and start mixing with people, but I need to give myself a swift kick in the behind to get myself motivated to do it, thats the problem you see,
Ive always been somewhat of a loner, cant help it, thats the way I am I suppose, I do like people, but I dont feel uncomfortable or insecure with my own company, never been able to easily mix with people, never been able to just talk to strangers unless they talked to me first, some may say thats pretty sad really, but everyone is different I suppose, Ive lived on my own for decades before I came home, I never felt lonely though, no one to argue with, no one to try and tell me what to do, no one trying to change me,
Im a quite person, and I do like my privacy, each to his own I suppose!!!!
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked up Durham and realized it's only an hour and 20 minutes from me. I had no idea it was so close. Will definitely take a trip there soon. Thanks for the recommendation!

Rodney come to the north on that trip soon - you'll love it!
I would love to, we shall see, one day I will.
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Tina there are loads of senior clubs for people of my age group that I could join here in Portsmouth, Im 67 now, and I want to join something and start mixing with people, but I need to give myself a swift kick in the behind to get myself motivated to do it, thats the problem you see,
Ive always been somewhat of a loner, cant help it, thats the way I am I suppose, I do like people, but I dont feel uncomfortable or insecure with my own company, never been able to easily mix with people, never been able to just talk to strangers unless they talked to me first, some may say thats pretty sad really, but everyone is different I suppose, Ive lived on my own for decades before I came home, I never felt lonely though, no one to argue with, no one to try and tell me what to do, no one trying to change me,
You will be amazed how many nice people are out there, Rod you are missing out on life and lots of laughs, people will be interested in you and you will enjoy them too, there is a big world out there if only you could step over that line...

Just say Hello and Greet people that seem nice or look at you, thats a good start, its like selling timeshare minus all the paperwork... You have nothing to lose...
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's always good to be a person content with his/her own company! As long as you don't mind...but you have said in the past that you wouldn't mind a few more friends...

I guess only you know how important it is to find the energy to give yourself that swift kick! Or whether you are really happy as you are, in which case, fine!

Tina
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
You will be amazed how many nice people are out there, Rod you are missing out on life and lots of laughs, people will be interested in you and you will enjoy them too, there is a big world out there if only you could step over that line...

Just say Hello and Greet people that seem nice or look at you, thats a good start, its like selling timeshare minus all the paperwork... You have nothing to lose...
Fish thanks for you post, all you say here makes a lot of sense to me, and I would love to meet people even if its just to talk in passing, and I would love to meet people who maybe one day would be my friends, I do know what im missing out on I really do,
Whats really funny Fish is most of my adult life Ive worked as a salesman, I sold cars, kirby vacum cleaners, and lots of other things, and since 1983 selling time share, and Im very good at it, at work I have all the confidence in the world, but take me away from work and I turn into this real shy person who is afraid to talk to people who I dont know, go figure!!!
I dont understand it either, but Ive always been like this, like a jekyll & hide in a nice way
Old Sep 30th 2012, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Fish thanks for you post, all you say here makes a lot of sense to me, and I would love to meet people even if its just to talk in passing, and I would love to meet people who maybe one day would be my friends, I do know what im missing out on I really do,
Whats really funny Fish is most of my adult life Ive worked as a salesman, I sold cars, kirby vacum cleaners, and lots of other things, and since 1983 selling time share, and Im very good at it, at work I have all the confidence in the world, but take me away from work and I turn into this real shy person who is afraid to talk to people who I dont know, go figure!!!
I dont understand it either, but Ive always been like this, like a jekyll & hide in a nice way
Its OK Rod, I understand, I used to be a shy person and still am in some ways, Good Luck no matter what.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Rodney,
places that I have made friendly connections with local people have been;
1. a Council organized informal walking group that exists to promote health,
2. Campaign for Real Ale local group of a dozen or so (all kinds of folks; teachers, dentist, Manager at FedEx, landscape gardener, retired folks) that meet in a different pub monthly, have Sunday walks and lunch.
3. On the bus: when I use the bus it tends to be at the same departure time so I got to nodding, then Good Mornings, then chatting with people I see regular at the stop and on the bus.
These are not really friends but friendly people that make me not so anonymous when I go out.

June & I still plan to be down in Portsmouth in mid Oct. I will PM you a few days before so we can arrange a meet up.

John
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

We have just left Portsmouth and we loved it,shopping in South Sea,having a few drinks in the Slug and Lettuce,the weather was kind to us while there,could live there no problems ,just loved it !!!
We are now at the end of our great holiday,arrived London 29th leave for Oz
3rd October.
Can honestly say have had a great time in the U.K. We have travelled many miles while here my only complain is having to pay each time we need to park the car,it's not to bad if you Re doing grocery shopping,there are a few shopping centers that give you 2 hours free parking.
But all in all Ilove it here,and it's not as bad as the Daily Snail portrays .
Old Oct 2nd 2012, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
Rodney,
places that I have made friendly connections with local people have been;
1. a Council organized informal walking group that exists to promote health,
2. Campaign for Real Ale local group of a dozen or so (all kinds of folks; teachers, dentist, Manager at FedEx, landscape gardener, retired folks) that meet in a different pub monthly, have Sunday walks and lunch.
3. On the bus: when I use the bus it tends to be at the same departure time so I got to nodding, then Good Mornings, then chatting with people I see regular at the stop and on the bus.
These are not really friends but friendly people that make me not so anonymous when I go out.

June & I still plan to be down in Portsmouth in mid Oct. I will PM you a few days before so we can arrange a meet up.

John
Great John, looking forward to meeting you and June, I have a nice pub already picked out, my Nephew goes there once a week with his pals,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 3rd 2012, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

wow, the gang is back!!! Trotty True- glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you and glad to hear you are okay with all that has happened to you!!

Easterdawn- Peigi glad to hear you are still around and surviving!!!

Fish N Chips- hey buddy!! Are you any closer to moving back?

Rodders-sorry to hear you have not been too well!

Hubby and I just got back from 2 weeks in UK- decision made, we are moving back for retirement for sure. If we win the lottery we will be back asap. I am so fed up with Canadian winters and the thought of snow is making me soooo depressed!

Weymouth area is on the cards for us, we love being close to the sea!!

Old Oct 4th 2012, 8:57 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shelley, that's great news! Congrats on having made the big decision.

What changed your mind? I recall that after your last trip you were really turned off the UK.
Old Oct 4th 2012, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Shelley, that's great news! Congrats on having made the big decision.

What changed your mind? I recall that after your last trip you were really turned off the UK.
How are things progressing on the new house? You had a viewing the other day on one?
Old Oct 4th 2012, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748
wow, the gang is back!!! Trotty True- glad to hear things are moving in the right direction for you and glad to hear you are okay with all that has happened to you!!

Easterdawn- Peigi glad to hear you are still around and surviving!!!

Fish N Chips- hey buddy!! Are you any closer to moving back?

Rodders-sorry to hear you have not been too well!

Hubby and I just got back from 2 weeks in UK- decision made, we are moving back for retirement for sure. If we win the lottery we will be back asap. I am so fed up with Canadian winters and the thought of snow is making me soooo depressed!

Weymouth area is on the cards for us, we love being close to the sea!!

Shelley Hi stranger, WOW I did wonder what happened to you, you havent posted for a while now, so glad you enjoyed your holiday in U.K. and great news that you have made up your mind to retire here when the time comes, AND if you dont mind me asking ------ how long will that be? ----- or you could tell me to mind my own business
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Oct 6th 2012, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shelley748

I am so fed up with Canadian winters and the thought of snow is making me soooo depressed!

::
Shelley thats exactly how I felt about Las Vegas, I spent over 30 years in the State of Nevada, and out of that 14 long years in the hot dry Vegas Desert the summers were the one thing I really hated, they were so long, like it seems they just last forever, and when you got 112 f. plus every day for endless months with no sign of rain, OMG ------ I love this U.K. climate, especially down south where I live, when it rains I love it, when its cold I love it, and the wind is good too, when I see the worst weather possible here I just think how much nicer all this cold and rain is compared to that unbearable heat of Vegas,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.