Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Nov 20th 2011, 3:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Gab, My thoughts are with you - been there, done that - In Thailand, in my case. Came home with clothes only. Not even got my address book, or favourite reading. I too have lost an investment ( Large House) - couldn't find anyone to buy or rent it. - and spent ALL my savings.

What the hell? why look back? Do as I have done - look forward to the next 20 years! love Don xx
You're right Don. Thanks. Life is too short to worry about these things, I'll be happy to be home even if we only break even on the house, which is looking more and more like reality for us.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 4:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Celtic, I absolutely love dogs, really I do, problem is I am allergic to them in a big way
But my favorite Animal of all time is a Horse, now I am not allergic to them,
in the past I have enjoyed riding horses both in England growing up and also in Nevada,
Maybe I can explore the possibilities of riding stables that have a group riding session IN THE COUNTRY ----I would love that, thats a way to meet new people to isn't it? there are a lot of little country villages within a few miles from me ---- scattered all over, I will check on line,
What a shame Rodney. Before I remarried, my husband to be had mild asthma and was afraid to be around my dogs. I had quite a few......maybe five Chihuahuas at the time. I had a litter once in a while as I loved the babies in the house and I also exhibited as was my hobby. He has not had a single issue living with dogs but will get a little wheezy if he comes to a dog show where there could be hundreds or thousands of dogs unless it is held outside.
Obviously the smaller the dog the less the dander. You got good adviice here about the more hyper allergenic dogs. My pick would be a Havanese but they do require brushing daily. They have wonderful temperaments.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 5:47 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
How about coming home to this little beauty? It doesn't say where it is, but this is just gorgeous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/prmt...m-Cottage.html
That's beautiful. If it's only £350,000 it must either be somewhere out of the way, or be quite small. But I definitely wouldn't say no if someone was giving it to me for free. Love those beams and the fireplace.

By the way, I saw New Maldon on 'Flat Pack Homes' the other day. Some couple were building an extension of the back of a little Victorian terrace. They didn't show much though. When do you move?
Old Nov 20th 2011, 6:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
That's beautiful. If it's only £350,000 it must either be somewhere out of the way, or be quite small. But I definitely wouldn't say no if someone was giving it to me for free. Love those beams and the fireplace.

By the way, I saw New Maldon on 'Flat Pack Homes' the other day. Some couple were building an extension of the back of a little Victorian terrace. They didn't show much though. When do you move?
Only trouble Sally is you have to buy 21 copies of the Daily Fail to get the coupons to emter, I only buy a copy about once every 3 months if there is a story of interest that catches my eye (Robert Wagner/Natalie Wood) I did not buy it yesterday to get the free Cliff Richard Christmas CD ha ha!!

Not that much to see in New Maldon, it's really just an average little town, of course the biggest draw for me is to get myself of this awful situation I am in.....plus it's 1/2 hour on the train from London Victoria.

I don't have an actual start date as such, but I have still handed in my notice on my job and flat.

The area manager knows my situation (like I have to give a months notice on the flat so that will take it to December 18th and I will have to pay out dead money) so it just depends on how quickly the head office are at doing things, well it does seem to move slowly in these big companies.......but by *my* calendar it will be December 12th. They said there should be no problem if my references all come through OK, so I have threatened the 2 personal referees!!!

I have quite a lot to do in between leaving the old job and starting the new one and FINALLY I will be able to get my stuff from Australia that's in storage, well it's not much but it is MINE!! The sister I stayed with when I first came back said I can stay with her in my interim time, soooo.......I will be on the move again in a few weeks and like you said I will stick it out for a few years and look for somewhere more in line with what I want...........whatever that might be. Anyway who knows where any of us will end up, I could meet the man of my dreams or win the Lottery.

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 20th 2011 at 6:16 pm.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

What is the name of the site I need to go to to pickup BBCTV?
I somehow lost the link.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
What is the name of the site I need to go to to pickup BBCTV?
I somehow lost the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

a ha!!
I don't have an actual start date as such, but I have still handed in my notice on my job and flat.
Could you still hear from your #1 choice?

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:52 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 20th 2011, 8:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks but I need the scrambler to access BBC
Old Nov 20th 2011, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I use expatshield. But am looking into what Sallysimmons does which is for about 10 dollars a months she subscribes to UK television stations. Or something to that effect.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, on another thread recently I saw that on the Mozilla Firefox browser there is an add-on called "Stealth" that allows you to access any UK sites including Iplayer. It was so easy to do... took seconds... and it's free!

It puts a little icon on the toolbar that you just click on or off as needed. If you don't have the Firefox browser, just download it. I keep both that and IE around anyway. It's a good browser. Hate IE8. Wish I had never upgraded.

Last edited by bandrui; Nov 21st 2011 at 12:25 am.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

How about coming home to this little beauty? It doesn't say where it is, but this is just gorgeous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/prmt...m-Cottage.html
Bee, that's twice you have got to me today. Want to see a grown woman cry?

Only problem... the deadline was Sept 16, 2011 else I was going to research the keywords and enter. Can we be a bit more timely next time please .
Old Nov 21st 2011, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Are you using a realtor or going it alone?.
Ive always figured Id go it alone but I think these days a realtor can be our only help, a good one will push your home, plus there are pitfalls to avoid, I just want this home sold with no major issues...

Foreclosures are a nightmare and real competition as the banks are running the show... still some foreclosed homes are awful and it takes forever to complete these deals...

Good Luck...
Gab, I really feel for you. I have been through this during the Alberta boom & bust days.

I think I am going to try going it alone initially. I've done it before, both buy and sell without a realtor. The paperwork is easy and anyway, any lawyer can do that. I have not been very impressed with the amount of effort Salt Spring realtors put into it, especially considering the massive amount they receive, though there is a company called 1% Realty that has been doing quite well.
They have just (last year) changed Canadian real estate regs to allow homeowners to list on MLS without a realtor.
I am ploughing through a couple of books on getting a house ready for sale and one of them, unbeknownst to me when I took them out of the library, is on going it alone.
I would put an ad in the Vancouver, Victoria and Seattle papers and a couple in Van recently had instant success by distributing a flyer offering a finder's reward. I also feel that, as owners, we are in the best position to point out the strengths of our property.
Having said this, I would make this a time-limited trial and go with a realtor if it was not successful. I interview realtors to gain their perspective on the sale and immediately eliminate those who come up with all the negatives and reasons why it may be hard to sell. My theory is that if they feel that way, they are not going to be able to sell it.

Like MITF (can't bring myself to call you Mummy ), every house here is completely different so it's quite difficult to judge what the selling price should be but shall have to research to come up with that. Neighbourhoods mean nothing here. One of my neighbours is rock star Randy Bachman of The Guess Who but I seriously doubt that his property is a comparable .
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:19 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by cheers

Could you still hear from your #1 choice?
Well I suppose if the other contender doesn't take the job.........there was one interview for 2 jobs, both developments in the same road and practically just across the road from each other.............so who knows?

Last edited by Pollyana; Nov 23rd 2011 at 8:53 am. Reason: fixing quotes
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by bandrui
Bee, that's twice you have got to me today. Want to see a grown woman cry?

Only problem... the deadline was Sept 16, 2011 else I was going to research the keywords and enter. Can we be a bit more timely next time please .
Well that's strange must be a typo as I only bought the paper yesterday......hang on I will check...........December 23rd it says in the paper.

Anyway you would need 21 coupons so that means you will have to buy 21 Daily Fail's and after that amount of negativity and doom and gloom you would feel like topping yourself.
Old Nov 21st 2011, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Well that's strange must be a typo as I only bought the paper yesterday......hang on I will check...........December 23rd it says in the paper.

Anyway you would need 21 coupons so that means you will have to buy 21 Daily Fail's and after that amount of negativity and doom and gloom you would feel like topping yourself.
That's weird. If you follow your link, half way down the page it says all entries must be received by Sept 16, 2011. yet the date at the top is Nov 21, 2011. That's the Daily Mail for you.

There is an entering online option by collecting passwords.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.