Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 21st 2011, 3:10 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Mummy in the foothills....When I get annoyed or worried I sit in my chair and look out to sea and a peace comes over me and I think that its time to put all the awful times behind me and look forward to the future. I am both excited and afraid but I think thats normal. For the next few months I am just going to enjoy each day. My daughter said I should not have bothered with all the cleaning. But I do have to smile when I think of all the small things that will annoy her. Like the downstairs toilet doesnt flush properly unless you hold the handle down or that you have to remember to change the filter on the back of the washing machine or it stops working. Oops I think I forgot to tell her that. Course her last remark to me was that her husband was going to flatten the place and re-do everything. She was going to send me pictures. You know what she can do with them dont you.

Cheers...Yes it was funny you should have seen her face. She is a classical pianist. I also told her they are going to be building a barn at the back of the property. That didnt go down well either. Her first remark was she hoped they got planning permission. I didnt tell her they were also going to build a smaller barn backing onto her property. I wish I could be a fly on the wall when she finds out.
You get what you give right!
She'll get hers.
Ahhhh the sea air, I can't wait to breathe it in.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 7:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I downloaded it a long time ago but I hadn't found any programs worth watching until you or someone else sparkled my interest with the new series of Dr Martin and Downton Abbey.
Don't forget Coronation Street!!!
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Don't forget Coronation Street!!!
I tried to get a handle on that many years ago but it didn't rock my boat. The same with the Archers. Me strange, huh?
Old Sep 21st 2011, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Judes....Yes I had alot of thoughts about taking furniture home but decided against it as I remember how small houses are. The only things I sent home were my books and bookcases and general household items. I was going to take the bed and many other items but just chose a couple of things for sentimental value. The rest we will buy either second hand or cheap.

I am finding it very hard to relax but I will get to that point soon. I have a doctors appointment today as I dropped a box on my foot and also re-hurt my knee So it looks like I will be sitting whether I like it or not.

You would have all laughed if you had seen my removing the sheets and blankets from the beds in the rental. For a luxury rental it lacks a great deal. The sheets were those slippy 70's kind I bagged them all and put them underneath the beds.I felt the desire to wash my hands when I was through. I brought my own which were what I thought not worth taking home and they look great compared to hers. The bath mats I stored they were so old the backs were all gritty and falling apart. I would have thrown them out if they had been mine. All the items I brought will go the charity when we leave for the UK although I think this couple are in need of them for this cottage.

Today I am going to relax and read.

I have learnt something from selling a home, I don't like clutter anymore. I have boxed all of the knick knacks from the cottage. I am also getting use to living in a small space. It has it attractions and its drawbacks. But I can live with it. I lived in a small house when I was growing up.

Jasper123...Dont think I missed the fact that you are upping the amount of ciggies you are smoking. Did you feel that slap across your head.

DDL..Love your trips and the food. Have bookmarked the furniture but I notice sometimes when things are bookmarked and you go back to look at them the links no longer work. But thats after a long time. Just noticed that with some of the old links we had way back.

Charleygirl...... what are you up to.

Curleytops....Yes I really do need to sit down and put my feet up. I love the sea. Shame I cant swim

Heard from Easterndawn she is working really hard and not much time to post at the moment.

between two worlds.....My hubby is doing better he had his stitches out a couple of days ago and he does not need an operation on his broken nose he got his tooth fixed yesterday, well a temperary crown. His lips are now back to normal although he does have a gap in his moustache and a scar.
Things are looking up. A great weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

We are renting in Lancashire to start with to be near my sick brother but going to look around to decide were we want to settle. So hard to choose.It depends on whether I want to live close to family or live in an area I really love.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:50 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Trotty, echoing what the others have said, I just wanted to send some 'GET WELL SOON' karma to Mr. Trotty and as for you young lady, well, I expect to see you sitting in an easy chair in that ROOM WITH A VIEW, with a book in your hand and a good cup of tea next to you. YOU DESERVE A BREAK! xxx <3
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:56 pm
DDL

We had a great time at the Royal County of Berkshire Show (in Newbury) on Sunday. Pictures here for those who are interested.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-312805_10150308326714125_551029124_8007489_775313896_n.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well I am back. Its been an awful two weeks. I would never want to go through that again. We moved last Friday and I spent everyday for a week packing and cleaning and still on the day of the move I had a mountain of work to do. Things you cannot do earlier like cleaning the fridge and giving all the rooms a once over. There was such alot of small stuff hanging around I did not know what to do with it. I almost gave up. Our estate agent came to read the oil gauge and I asked him what time the new owners would be here. He said 1 minute passed 5. We were suppose to be out by 5. My husband was ill and could not do anything. My son and daughter worked really hard. Still at 5 we had quite a bit to do and guess who was at the top of the driveway. The new owners. My daughter went to explain to them. The women was really nasty and said a phone call would have been nice. My daughter tried to explain to her but she was not very happy so I went and spoke to her and told her that my son was having a difficult time removing the air conditioner and that we had been quite rushed to get our the same day the movers came. Her husband was really nice and offered to help. I asked her about moving in and she said she was not ready to move in she was still packing I felt like putting my hands around her throat and strangling her.

My daughter decided that was she was such a nasty person she was taking anything that was not bolted down. This included two evergreens I had in large pots by the front door. I wish you could have seen her struggling to get them in the back of her jeep.

We moved into the rental but the people renting decided they were leaving everything in the house and not removing anything. It never rains but what it pours. i have been cleaning and storing all her stuff in closets and trying to make room for our stuff. She is not a very good cleaner so I have been doing that. But as Wednesday is almost here I only have two rooms to tidy and then I can relax and make my plans for moving home.

The place is lovely and I never get tired of looking at the sea. I am back with the living. For all the turmoil of he past month I would not go back. I can now look forward to the future.

By the way our next door neighbour at our old house paid us a visit on Friday just before we moved. I have not spoken to her in years. She was just being nosy and wanted to know about the new owners. I told her that they had a rock band. I wish you could have seen her face.

Will now get to the list. I have taken note of the furniture links as we are going to need quite a bit. My OH is waiting to hear back from the British Embassy regarding his Visa.
Wow trotty what a horrible woman the new owner is, I feel sorry for her husband can you imagine what a rotten life he must have being married to an old battleax like her
Well now you and Hubby can take a breath and relax a little, good luck to him on getting his British Visa.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:00 pm
DDL

Attachment 103130We went to Guildford last Saturday to check out their shopping. Somehow or other we ended up having Afternoon Tea at The Tea Terrace on the fifth floor of House of Fraser. Pictures here for those who are interested.
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-312697_10150307507909125_551029124_8002396_2078662444_n.jpg  
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL
Attachment 103130We went to Guildford last Saturday to check out their shopping. Somehow or other we ended up having Afternoon Tea at The Tea Terrace on the fifth floor of House of Fraser. Pictures here for those who are interested.

Why back home in the USA we have sandwiches ten times bigger than that
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:11 pm
DDL

I'm always surprised at how filling Afternoon Tea is. At least it is for me.
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I solved that yesterday so now I'm a happy camper.
Now I need to fix my sprinklers again. I have a leak. Why don't I rent?
I also have to fix or put a new spool on my spool edger.

Whats the name of this forum?
cheers you say you need to fix your leaky sprinklers ---- and then you say why dont you rent? ------ to that I say my friend ----- you dont have to rent OR fix your sprinklers ------- just move back home to U.K. ----- we dont need sprinklers here, not with all our rain OR air conditioning either
Old Sep 21st 2011, 11:26 pm
DDL

The Windsor Festival is currently going on. We have tickets to several events since it's so closeby.

Tonight we heard Sir John Tomlinson and the Philharmonia Orchestra in St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. It was pretty wonderful.

Two concerts next week: Passion for Puccini and a concert in the chapel at Eton.

Always so many great things going on.

(I didn't take these photos (we weren't allowed), they are stock photos, but this is St. George's Chapel. The picture of the interior is where the concert was.)
Attached Thumbnails OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-sgc.jpg   OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II-st_georges_screen.jpg  
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
cheers you say you need to fix your leaky sprinklers ---- and then you say why dont you rent? ------ to that I say my friend ----- you dont have to rent OR fix your sprinklers ------- just move back home to U.K. ----- we dont need sprinklers here, not with all our rain OR air conditioning either
Yes but in the US we have freedom, opportunity and the finest healthcare in the world.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:28 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but in the US we have freedom, opportunity and the finest healthcare in the world.
In your dreams.
Old Sep 22nd 2011, 1:34 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes sirree, best country in the whole doggone world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.