Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Sep 19th 2011, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by curleytops
AWWWWWW I can't believe I missed Tilly Trotter!!! Normally I watch the Cookson things every Sunday, unfortunately was busy yesterday afternoon. Watched BBC coverage of the Great North Run (in the heart of Cookson Country) in the morning, have to say hubby and I were both teary eyed as the runners ran past our childhood sweet shop and the bottom of the street where I was born just a short distance from the finish line. Last night we both settled in front of the tube where we also watched the new episode of Downton Abbey, its fantastic. I thought I would really miss north american television when I came back here but these days I don't give it a second thought
curleytops, me neither, dont give US Telly a second thought, matter of fact I have got to that wonderful point in my transition period that I dont give a thought to my old life in America anymore, havent for a while now
Yep Im so happy to be home, its not perfect (BUT) it sure as hell has a darn lot going for it thats for sure
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi folks been busy catching up with the news!!

I am still feeling unsettled here-trouble is that from the state of the economy in the UK, I am very concerned about leaving a good job now and jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I did go back to see my Dad in June, but to be honest by the end of the 2 weeks I was ready to come back- just we have grown apart I guess and it was not as good a vacation as it could have been.

I would consider retiring to the UK in 13 years when I am 65.

Has anyone moved back to Poole/Bournemouth area?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Do have a look, at the offerings locally for us. www.thesuiteexchange.co.uk - which originally did swop stuff, for people - but now only sells new. First class items. - and such a wide range. love Mom, from Don xx
Don- did I miss it? Are you actually now back in the UK? Congrats!!!
Old Sep 20th 2011, 4:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It is seesaw, but you have to use a proxy IPS or whatever it's called.

Yes that is Expat Shield, you download a little programme and when you want to watch UK TV you click on the link and it hooks you up to a server in the UK and voila, it's just like you are living there (here).
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748
Don- did I miss it? Are you actually now back in the UK? Congrats!!!
Yes, I am, and the only thing I really miss, is the many Tipppawan's Family members, & friends I got into!

It is so good, to be closer to my daughter, (Christine) than I ever was, in my second marriage (She never got on with my second Wife). - She & her husband Julian, have taken us to Llandudno, and out for meals - which has never happened before.

So, I thank the Good Lord for that. My Wife , has just started at College, doing the English/Citizenship Course.- So I am very happy. Love Don xx
Old Sep 20th 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK family I need some help with my computer.
The fonts have gone small on my desktop and I want them back to their previous size.
I'm spending too much time on this and I'm frustrated.
If I can be more precise the task bar is smaller than it was??
Any help will be appreciated

( if you insist you can also send $3000 to my Nigerian address)

Cheers
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
OK family I need some help with my computer.
The fonts have gone small on my desktop and I want them back to their previous size.
I'm spending too much time on this and I'm frustrated.
If I can be more precise the task bar is smaller than it was??
Any help will be appreciated

( if you insist you can also send $3000 to my Nigerian address)

Cheers
I found this.

Sometimes, we need to change the size of the text/font in IE or VB 6 Online Help. Usually you have to go to the View menu, choose Text Size or Fonts and then select the proper text/font size. A real drag, if you are accustomed to working quickly.

Here is a faster way to accomplish the same thing. It requires a mouse with a wheel. Hold down the Ctrl key and scroll the wheel one notch at a time . Scroll up to reduce the size, scroll down to increase the size.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:15 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Or press CTRL and the + sign. (Command on a Mac)
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Or press CTRL and the + sign. (Command on a Mac)
Microsoft

Last edited by cheers; Sep 20th 2011 at 7:31 pm.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:38 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Hi folks been busy catching up with the news!!

I am still feeling unsettled here-trouble is that from the state of the economy in the UK, I am very concerned about leaving a good job now and jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

I did go back to see my Dad in June, but to be honest by the end of the 2 weeks I was ready to come back- just we have grown apart I guess and it was not as good a vacation as it could have been.

I would consider retiring to the UK in 13 years when I am 65.

Has anyone moved back to Poole/Bournemouth area?
13 years of living where you don't want to??? :curse::frown :
Old Sep 20th 2011, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

I found this.

Sometimes, we need to change the size of the text/font in IE or VB 6 Online Help.

What does this mean?

Usually you have to go to the View menu, choose Text Size or Fonts and then select the proper text/font size.

I don't know where this is.

A real drag, if you are accustomed to working quickly.

Here is a faster way to accomplish the same thing. It requires a mouse with a wheel. Hold down the Ctrl key and scroll the wheel one notch at a time . Scroll up to reduce the size, scroll down to increase the size.

Didn't work
I'm still chasing around and I would really like my taskbar to go back to the way it has been for years.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I'm still chasing around and I would really like my taskbar to go back to the way it has been for years.
My daughter removed the whole task bar for me last night She also made the little icons huge and they took up half the screen
I had to find it all and put it all right again.
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

My daughter removed the whole task bar for me last night She also made the little icons huge and they took up half the screen
I had to find it all and put it all right again.
Are you on Microsoft?
Old Sep 20th 2011, 8:45 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Are you on Microsoft?
Mac
Old Sep 20th 2011, 11:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
13 years of living where you don't want to??? :curse::frown :
I know- its all financial unfortunately- its not that I don't want to live here- I am not sure that I want to retire here. If I could be sure my hubby and I could both get good jobs going back to UK would be an option, trouble is now we would never get a mortgage there, we couldn't even afford a rabbit hutch.

At least here we do have good income and live in a nice area....I think when you get to a certain age, you feel like you want to return home...

We went back in June to see my Dad and loved the scenery and the pubs/food which we have missed. Who knows what will be....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.