Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jasper123...and all others. Well when things move they move fast The people buying the house now want to bring the closing forward to the end of August as they say if they wait any longer the points for lending go up by 4. So we are now in the middle of chaos. I have 3 movers coming to give us estimates Mon Tues and Wednesday of next week. We have our rental moved forward to 19th September. I have stickies stuck on everything in varied colours. Pink for going to the UK yellow for going to my daughter and so on. The worst is all the boxes I hid with every intention of selling on Ebay mostly books and magazine. Hundreds of Royalty mags and 'This England' mags and 'Peoples Friend'. I shall call the Old Peoples home and see if they want any but the rest are going to get chucked just have no time to mess with them.
Then I have to revisted my Craft room and decide what is really important to me. I am going to keep my photos with me and put them into Albums and then either give them to my children or put them with the stuff already in storage. We are taking very little furniture with us.
This all came up so quickly, like I told you before we were waiting for water results which took forever and then the radon test but now its all systems go. I get a headache just thinking about it. So much to do so little time.That will teach me not to squirrel things away under beds and in closets. Thankfully I did clean out the attic last year when Rodney was doing his, I think I had over 100 boxes. I now have about a dozen. As its all a matter of weight I am going to try and weigh each box of books and see how much they weigh. I would leave some behind but most are books I have not yet read and others are my embroidery books. I will get rid of the rest of them. It will hurt but they will have to go.
This weekend is taken up with going to my Grandsons 1st Birthday if we dont go they will get mad. The weather is suppose to be bad so we shall have to wait and see.

I will be calling Goodwill and Salvation Army. Putting some stuff on Craigs list.

We did think of saying no to the earlier date but the way things are we cannot afford to lose the sale so just onward we go.
Wow trotty things are really moving so fast for you now, exciting? yes it must be ---- but I can see how it can wear you out in no time too,
Its hard to believe that just weeks ago you were so sad and stressed and you thought that your house would never sale, and then right out of the blue hey presto a couple looked at the house fell in love with it and soon you and hubby will be in your rental for 6 months, and how lovely that place sounds too Hmmmm
And then in no time you will be off to England where you belong, and the start of your new life,
Take good care trotty, and try not to stress too much over all that you have to do, pace your self!!!!
Rodney.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Sorry my friends, not had time to get here much, just wanted to say hi, i dont even know wether I thanked you all for your messages of support etc.
Anyway thank you.
Still plodding along with my plans, I took a day of today from it all......spent some quality time with my children, who were all home, it is weird I feel like a Mum again, being home with them all instead of seeing them come and go with out a Hi or Bye......it will make is harder for me and them, but I needed to be home to get my things done, although maybe I should have worked up to two weeks.
I have 15 days now, still planning on the Aug 27th. But I think I wont be taking 4 cases this time, because I am planning to come back for Thanksgiving it is also my Birthday that day and I just feel it will be better to be able to give the children a date they will see me again. I am interested on comments on that too, is it too soon to come back and see them, found a flight for 400 pounds with Aer Lingus. And then if my hubby ( ex) could bring them over for Christmas we could spend time together then too. And i could bring two cases each time and also get them to bring some stuff at Christmas.Anyway nothing concrete yet.
Tomorrow I am going Zip Lining in the White Mountains my girls are 19 this weekend and we as a family are all going to do this, it will be first thing all 5 of us have done since my son graduated and we went to dinner 2 years ago.
trotty wow, no time to think, I will try and see you next week.
Denise, I have to know what zip lining in the white mountains is all about?
You asked for comments on a trip back to the States just 3 months or something after arriving in the U.K. ---- on Thanksgiving, well I for one would say thats way too soon to go back for a visit,
But thats just me, it seems to me that you are finding it very hard to break away from your life there, I do understand, I really do, I mean even me after spending most of my adult life in America found it very difficult to end my life as it was over there ---- and I didn't have any family that I was leaving behind,
I wish you all the luck in the world on your new life in England, but dont beat yourself up too much ---- try and take Barb's advice and just look at this move as a wonderful adventure ---- and nothing is written in stone is it.
Rodney.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:51 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Jasper123...and all others. Well when things move they move fast The people buying the house now want to bring the closing forward to the end of August as they say if they wait any longer the points for lending go up by 4.

.....the rest are going to get chucked just have no time to mess with them.
Isn't it so, that the house sale events take on a life of their own, after the waiting it is all rush and not always to our own schedule. That's the nature of the beast. But better to go with it to the end than risk losing the sale.

... we disposed of most of our treasures, agonized over some. When we unpacked over here we were glad to have some treasures but those that are gone are rarely remembered and if they are then is with fondness rather than a sense of loss.

best wishes, it seems that you are going to have a well deserved 6 month break now before you make the big trip.

June

Last edited by J.J; Aug 12th 2011 at 12:03 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123...and all others. Well when things move they move fast The people buying the house now want to bring the closing forward to the end of August as they say if they wait any longer the points for lending go up by 4. So we are now in the middle of chaos. I have 3 movers coming to give us estimates Mon Tues and Wednesday of next week. We have our rental moved forward to 19th September. I have stickies stuck on everything in varied colours. Pink for going to the UK yellow for going to my daughter and so on. The worst is all the boxes I hid with every intention of selling on Ebay mostly books and magazine. Hundreds of Royalty mags and 'This England' mags and 'Peoples Friend'. I shall call the Old Peoples home and see if they want any but the rest are going to get chucked just have no time to mess with them.
Then I have to revisted my Craft room and decide what is really important to me. I am going to keep my photos with me and put them into Albums and then either give them to my children or put them with the stuff already in storage. We are taking very little furniture with us.
This all came up so quickly, like I told you before we were waiting for water results which took forever and then the radon test but now its all systems go. I get a headache just thinking about it. So much to do so little time.That will teach me not to squirrel things away under beds and in closets. Thankfully I did clean out the attic last year when Rodney was doing his, I think I had over 100 boxes. I now have about a dozen. As its all a matter of weight I am going to try and weigh each box of books and see how much they weigh. I would leave some behind but most are books I have not yet read and others are my embroidery books. I will get rid of the rest of them. It will hurt but they will have to go.
This weekend is taken up with going to my Grandsons 1st Birthday if we dont go they will get mad. The weather is suppose to be bad so we shall have to wait and see.

I will be calling Goodwill and Salvation Army. Putting some stuff on Craigs list.

We did think of saying no to the earlier date but the way things are we cannot afford to lose the sale so just onward we go.

Wow, incredible! as Rodney as said, just think about how sure you were so recently that the house would never sell....

A lesson here for everyone (wish I had learned it myself last year!):
once you decide you are going to sell your house, you should start going through stuff and cleaning out and getting rid of (good thing you dealt with the ATTIC beforehand, Trotty!) even though it feels as if no buyers are ever going to be interested.

It only takes ONE buyer! And sometimes, that one is in a hurry....while the viewers are coming and going and not biting, you feel you have AGES to do everything...but it can all change any minute!

And the other lesson surely is, don't give up hope!

All the very best Trotty...don't stress, pace yourself, as Rodney says....I'm so excited for you!

Tina
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry my friends, not had time to get here much, just wanted to say hi, i dont even know wether I thanked you all for your messages of support etc.
Anyway thank you.
Still plodding along with my plans, I took a day of today from it all......spent some quality time with my children, who were all home, it is weird I feel like a Mum again, being home with them all instead of seeing them come and go with out a Hi or Bye......it will make is harder for me and them, but I needed to be home to get my things done, although maybe I should have worked up to two weeks.
I have 15 days now, still planning on the Aug 27th. But I think I wont be taking 4 cases this time, because I am planning to come back for Thanksgiving it is also my Birthday that day and I just feel it will be better to be able to give the children a date they will see me again. I am interested on comments on that too, is it too soon to come back and see them, found a flight for 400 pounds with Aer Lingus. And then if my hubby ( ex) could bring them over for Christmas we could spend time together then too. And i could bring two cases each time and also get them to bring some stuff at Christmas.Anyway nothing concrete yet.
Tomorrow I am going Zip Lining in the White Mountains my girls are 19 this weekend and we as a family are all going to do this, it will be first thing all 5 of us have done since my son graduated and we went to dinner 2 years ago.
Hope the zip lining expedition goes well!

I disagree with Rodney, I think it is a good idea to come back at Thanksgiving.

You're feeling a huge amount of guilt about leaving, the kids are making you feel sad about it too, and if there is a plan to come back for Thanksgiving and your birthday, it will feel far less final and less as if you are abandoning them.

Yes, there's a risk that you won't yet feel settled in the UK and going back to US to visit may be an upheaval in some ways, but given the circumstances and the ages of your children it makes sense to me.

And when you told us about it, I sensed a huge feeling of relief on your part that you had this plan (good price for a flight, too), as if it made your departure easier to accept all around--for you and for them.

Tina
Old Aug 12th 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay this is the link to where I am going today.
http://www.alpinezipline.com/adventu.../skyrider.aspx
And a brief description, some how I missed the fact I have to walk on suspended bridges 200 feet up in the air

Begin your descent from 50' up in a pine tree insideTreewalk Village, with spectacular views of the western Whites. Ride the dual ziplines, racing your friends, to Area 51, Hemlock Walk and the Montego Bay Express. SkyRider includes 5 ziplines and 5 suspended bridges, ranging from 800' to 1600' long and 200' above the ground. Top off your adventure with "White Knuckle Pine," an 80' drop and zip speeds of up to 50 mph.

Thank you Bee, Rodney and Tina, for your replies, that feeling of abandonment is what is so hard to get over, my son never says anything but my girls, for instance yesterday one handed me a piece of paper, with a drawing and she wrote under it, "To Mum I love you please don't go to England"
Its true nothing is written in stone and I need to remember that and that is the reason I got my Citizenship, so that door is open.

Oh yesterday i got a letter to go for Jury selection, that's the 3rd time, previous times I wasnt citizen so couldn't, they really want me dont they, so I have something else on my list of to dos...let them know i wont be here.

have a great weekend everyone.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

And a brief description, some how I missed the fact I have to walk on suspended bridges 200 feet up in the air

Begin your descent from 50' up in a pine tree insideTreewalk Village, with spectacular views of the western Whites. Ride the dual ziplines, racing your friends, to Area 51, Hemlock Walk and the Montego Bay Express. SkyRider includes 5 ziplines and 5 suspended bridges, ranging from 800' to 1600' long and 200' above the ground. Top off your adventure with "White Knuckle Pine," an 80' drop and zip speeds of up to 50 mph.

Thank you Bee, Rodney and Tina, for your replies, that feeling of abandonment is what is so hard to get over, my son never says anything but my girls, for instance yesterday one handed me a piece of paper, with a drawing and she wrote under it, "To Mum I love you please don't go to England"
Its true nothing is written in stone and I need to remember that and that is the reason I got my Citizenship, so that door is open.

Oh yesterday i got a letter to go for Jury selection, that's the 3rd time, previous times I wasnt citizen so couldn't, they really want me dont they, so I have something else on my list of to dos...let them know i wont be here.

Sounds like a tough move..but i think only pure desperation can separate parents from ther kids. I hope iworks out for you in the long term.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I second two worlds. Go and come back for Thanksgiving.
Do this often if you feel like it.
You might recover part of your airfare by not having the expense of heating in the UK in the winter.

See....this is my fantasy to go back and forth as needed. Hopefully I wouldn't need to so with that in mind I may agree with Rod.

As others have mentioned on here going for a visit is different than living there so I accept that advice.

Cheers all.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

This must be so hard, but on the plus side it sounds as if all this has made the girls appreciate their mum. I remember you used to say it felt like they wouldn't even notice if you left. Maybe this will make you all much closer.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:44 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

That looks fast and dangerous Have fun and be safe.
I think the trip back for thansgiving is a great idea, too.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Trottytrue, the thought of what you have to go through at the moment, just makes my toes curl, I know I am going to have to move again in the future as we are only renting at the moment and the thought of it is enough to send me runningI am so glad however that the house is sold so you can plan your future, yes it will be hectic at the moment, but not too long you will be relaxing so just think of that. It was also my grandsons 1st birthdy 10th August. have a lovely time with your grandson, you will get through this and have a lovely rest Denise 2
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway thank you.
Denise I too think it a good idea if you could get back for thanksgiving, altough it is very soon, if you arrange for the kids to be you then for christmas I really think that will help both the kids and you, and give you all something to look forward to, and also bring the kids round gradually to accepting your choice, and maybe they will want to come back more often and see you. I will keep fingers and toes crossed for you that all will work out for you in the end Denise2
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Isn't it so, that the house sale events take on a life of their own, after the waiting it is all rush and not always to our own schedule. That's the nature of the beast. But better to go with it to the end than risk losing the sale.

... we disposed of most of our treasures, agonized over some. When we unpacked over here we were glad to have some treasures but those that are gone are rarely remembered and if they are then is with fondness rather than a sense of loss.

best wishes, it seems that you are going to have a well deserved 6 month break now before you make the big trip.

June
Can I suggest taking photos of treasures that you have, that way you can at least see them in a photograph later on, its not like touching and feeling but still its much better then nothing.

I took photos of many of my parents things before we split them up between ourselves, this way we still have them in one way or another.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

dgjamison...Yes ut really is daunting. The place is an absolute mess at the moment and going to get worse. So much stuff I have to go through and decide what to do with.

The house sale is not a complete 'slam dunk' yet we are waiting for the bank appraisal to come in. Lets hope the house has not lost a great deal of money since we had it appraised a few months ago or that this appraiser agrees with ours. If he comes in much lower they might not be able to afford it. I am still sorting out all the stuff in boxes that I was going to sell on Ebay and just get rid of it.

Charleygirl...Be careful dont go getting injured just before you go home. But have a lovely time.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

jasper123....Yes I think I had almost given up selling. Its not been an easy 3 years so much has happened but I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. But nothing will ever be perfect I wish my Mother and Dad and my brother and my friends could have been around to see me going home. I know they would all be smiling.

I have to remember to dig up my apple tree. If you remember when my best friend died over two years ago, we were born weeks apart on the same street. I went to visit her grave and there was an apple tree over looking it. I picked up an apple and just before I left to come back to the US I cut it open and there was only one apple seed in it. I brought it back to the US and kept it in the fridge all winter. When spring came I soaked it in water and kept it in paper towels for 6 weeks. It finally sprouted. I planted it and kept it in the house for a couple of months and when it was big enough planted it in my garden it was doing really well till an animal chewed all its leaves off. I was heartbroken but a few weeks later more shoots came up and now its almost a foot tall. I am giving it to my daughter for safe keeping and she is going to take care of it for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.