Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

I am afraid to sit still for too long. My OH is going round with stickers in different colours, everything gets a sticker on it.Different colours for different destinations. Anyone ever married to an engineer will know what its like. He is sending me insane. If I stand still for too long I am convinced I will get a sticker stuck on me.
We still have not heard back about the bank appraisal. I am too tired to worry. Lets hope tomorrow brings good news.

The first of the moving companies came today. Hope its not too expensive. another one tomorrow.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I have not forgotten the list but I have to wait till we get the go ahead from the bank.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Hello Everyone, It has been a long time since I posted and I just won't be able to read all the posts since I was last on.

I am back in Ayr after spending 4 months in the highlands, Inverness to be precise. I loved it there, the people are so welcoming and friendly, there are so many beautiful places of not only beauty but historical significance. I am now in the Prestwick/Ayr office and although I am enjoying it there I do want to return to Inverness to live and work.

I have purchased a car a 1998 Honda Accord, it is in immaculate condition and although it has a larger motor than most have here, (a 6 cylinder) it is a lovely car. It has all the bells and whistles, heated seats, sun roof, air con, electric driver seat, cruise control, even has washer for the headlights, all for £600. Insurance was a little more than most people pay but still less than my husband pays in Canada. It is lovely to have the ability to get in the car and go for a picnic or just for a drive. I purchased a folding chair, and a picnic hamper so that I can pack and go.

Still nothing on hubby getting over here, it is the financial aspect that is keeping him there nothing else. It is almost two years, it seems that the end will never come and it does gets fustrating for both of us, just when we should be together enjoying these years we are worlds apart. This is when I wonder if I made the right choice or if I should of waited till the house sold and then came over, but as they say hindsight is a wonderful thing, but does not really help at all.

Wee Mac is terrific and many days he gets me through some very sad and lonely days. I am so glad that I have him as I think it would be almost unbearable. Even though I have made friends since moving here, it is just not the same as when myhusband and I are together. That rythme of life that married couples achieve cannot be found anywhere or with anyone else. Well, I am on call this weekend so better get some work done, take care everyone.
Hello Ed...

What a nice surprise is was to see you post, I'm very happy to see you bought a Honda Accord, Good for you, I used to have an Accord, I sold it to return to the UK, it was the best car I ever owned, I hope yours serves you well.

Wow two years without your husband, I've been trying to sell my parents home for almost two years, it seems like forever and very frustrating, I don't think I could stand to be separated from my wife for that long, I sure hope you two will be together very soon, don't second guess yourself, everything will come together for you, I just know it will...

Ahhh Wee Mac... we haven't forgotten him...

I echo Rods thoughts, you really do inspire us all...
Take Care and Best Wishes to you as always...
Old Aug 16th 2011, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

ED...I have always said on this forum you are someone who has dealt with more than their fare share of turmoil but you have shown true spirit of not giving up. Even when all seemed so awful for you, you still marched on. That job in the hotel where you worked so hard to help them get on their feet and then not getting paid and so much more. I pray that you and wee mac are soon reunited with your husband and other puppies. You have inspired alot of us. When we feel like giving up we only have to think of how many times you have fallen but got back up dusted yourself off and started again.

You are working towards a future together with your husband and I know he understands what you are going through, we all wish we could have had that crystal ball and known what was going to happen. You took a leap of faith and have worked very hard to make a home for you and your OH and put a future together for the pair of you.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

OK...Its panic time. I cannot get a hold of our realtor and we were supposed to have heard back about the Bank Appraisal yesterday. I have phoned him three times and left messages and no reply. I am getting sick to the stomach with it. I am so into this move now. I am not sure I could step back again. My head is thumping I can actually feel the fear in my throat.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Fantastic to hear from Denise/DDL with updates and pictures--lovely! And one year back in UK already, can't believe it! 9 months for Rodney, six for Beedubya, how time flies.

And Peigi great to hear from you too, great news on the car and on your having identified Inverness as a favorite. So sorry to hear about DH not being able to get there yet....SOON I hope...

Sentosa and others who updated, great to hear from you..

Sally, so sorry abt the tendonitis, do hope it's better soon.

For those finding it hard to make friends, I think joining things like Univ of third age, as Sally suggests, and similar groups is the way to do it. There will be other people in such groups with different accents and unusual life stories--that's why they too are joining, often--because they are new in a place and want to meet people! and yet it is surely an unintimidating way to meet people, because you are also there for the particular subject or interest.

Any new members who are reading, please don't feel left out just because those of us who've been here for a while are pleased to hear from other "old-timers"--everyone's story, recent or long-time member, is of value and interest here.

And if I myself forget to mention any particular names of people who've recently updated, it's nothing personal!

Tina
Hello Tina,
Yes your comment on new members or just readers who think they are left out because they see us old timers who are happy to hear from each other talking to each other on this thread, and that they may feel left out,
Yes your right, everyone old or new is welcome on here, thats what keeps this thread alive, and they must never feel intimidated or shy ---- just come on in ---- we dont bite ya know, come on in put the kettle on pull up a chair and tell us a little about yourself, and if you do that I can tell you this ---- you will get quite a few replies to your posts, and you will make friends above your wildest dreams if you keep posting, you will get support, you can ask questions and if anyone knows the answer they will help you, I feel that the community we had say two years ago when it started here on the over 50's & 60's grew from just a handful of us and quickly grew to (A LOT) then about 6 months ago I think some bad feelings developed from a few new people and then the numbers decreased significantly bit by bit, ------ but for this wonderful thread to stay alive we need the old ones that left to come back and also we need all you (just readers and lurkers) out there to just come on in and talk to us theres no membership required, we are all expats who have lived many years in our adopted countries and we are either back home already or trying hard to get home, or for others its still just a dream, but everyone has there own story and they are all so interesting, and we need to hear (YOUR STORIES TOO} so please say something, it doesn't have to be a long post like mine sometimes are
Just one final thing I would like to say is this, a couple of years ago when I joined this wonderful group of people I was so confused about so many things and my future life and what I should do, I had lived in America for over 3 decades and I would never have missed that time of my life for the world, it was great, but I wanted to come home to England where I was born and raised, and where my family were, for me I knew it was the right time, but I still had a hard time making the decision,
So many people on this thread gave me support and helped me so much, so much that I could never repay them,
This thread is different, everyone on here just start out talking to someone that we dont know, and we are shy at first, and most of us still have never met each other and maybe never will, but we all over time develope not just a deep friendship with each other ----- and we are no longer just reading and writing words to a faceless person, ---- we see everyones personality, you see (THATS THE DIFFERENCE) we can actually visualize each other, when I talk to someone on here In my mind I have a picture of them all, they probably dont look anything like my vision though, all you newbies I enchorage you to get involved, you will not regret it,
Take care all of you lurkers, and I welcome you all in advance,
Rodney.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:27 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello Tina,
Yes your comment on new members or just readers who think they are left out because they see us old timers who are happy to hear from each other talking to each other on this thread, and that they may feel left out,
Yes your right, everyone old or new is welcome on here, thats what keeps this thread alive, and they must never feel intimidated or shy ---- just come on in ---- we dont bite ya know, come on in put the kettle on pull up a chair and tell us a little about yourself, and if you do that I can tell you this ---- you will get quite a few replies to your posts, and you will make friends above your wildest dreams if you keep posting, you will get support, you can ask questions and if anyone knows the answer they will help you, I feel that the community we had say two years ago when it started here on the over 50's & 60's grew from just a handful of us and quickly grew to (A LOT) then about 6 months ago I think some bad feelings developed from a few new people and then the numbers decreased significantly bit by bit, ------ but for this wonderful thread to stay alive we need the old ones that left to come back and also we need all you (just readers and lurkers) out there to just come on in and talk to us theres no membership required, we are all expats who have lived many years in our adopted countries and we are either back home already or trying hard to get home, or for others its still just a dream, but everyone has there own story and they are all so interesting, and we need to hear (YOUR STORIES TOO} so please say something, it doesn't have to be a long post like mine sometimes are
Just one final thing I would like to say is this, a couple of years ago when I joined this wonderful group of people I was so confused about so many things and my future life and what I should do, I had lived in America for over 3 decades and I would never have missed that time of my life for the world, it was great, but I wanted to come home to England where I was born and raised, and where my family were, for me I knew it was the right time, but I still had a hard time making the decision,
So many people on this thread gave me support and helped me so much, so much that I could never repay them,
This thread is different, everyone on here just start out talking to someone that we dont know, and we are shy at first, and most of us still have never met each other and maybe never will, but we all over time develope not just a deep friendship with each other ----- and we are no longer just reading and writing words to a faceless person, ---- we see everyones personality, you see (THATS THE DIFFERENCE) we can actually visualize each other, when I talk to someone on here In my mind I have a picture of them all, they probably dont look anything like my vision though, all you newbies I enchorage you to get involved, you will not regret it,
Take care all of you lurkers, and I welcome you all in advance,
Rodney.
Rodney, your posts are so interesting - I think you should collect them in a blog of your own. I'm sure a lot of people who have never heard of BE would be interested to read your life-story!
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I am afraid to sit still for too long. My OH is going round with stickers in different colours, everything gets a sticker on it.Different colours for different destinations. Anyone ever married to an engineer will know what its like. He is sending me insane. If I stand still for too long I am convinced I will get a sticker stuck on me.
We still have not heard back about the bank appraisal. I am too tired to worry. Lets hope tomorrow brings good news.

The first of the moving companies came today. Hope its not too expensive. another one tomorrow.
Oh trotty you are soooooo funny sometimes I love it!!!! well if your hubby does put a sticker on you just dont take it personally
Again good luck on getting that appraisal from the bank, BTW why do you need an appraisal? has not the price been agreed on by the couple thats buying your property?
Rodney.
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:57 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

OK...Its panic time. I cannot get a hold of our realtor and we were supposed to have heard back about the Bank Appraisal yesterday. I have phoned him three times and left messages and no reply. I am getting sick to the stomach with it. I am so into this move now. I am not sure I could step back again. My head is thumping I can actually feel the fear in my throat.
Breathe, sit down calm down he's probably headed out on some errand or commitment and will be back. Everything will work out. ((hugs))
Old Aug 16th 2011, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hello Rodney....They need the Bank Appraisal because the bank is loaning them the money. Unfortunately they are getting their loan through Bank of American which has not had the best news the past couple of weeks. So this couple have a certain amount of cash to put down and the bank is suppose to loan them the rest. What has always worried me is the fact that they have not sold the house they are living in they didnt want to. Lets hope the bank comes through. Now the realtor we are using always maintained that they got a Bank approval upfront. Just dont uncross your arms legs and whatever else you all have crossed.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

guys I need help on this one. Just returned from trying to get my USA social security paid into my UK bank, the clerk admitted she wasnt very informed on our situation but apparrently because we do not plan living here anymore we could lose all or portion of our Social Security? Please tell me this isnt true. We stayed here 10 long years to ensure we had SS, surely they cant take away whats ours ? If they do it is going to cause us great hardship, I cant even think straight at this moment. the clerk said one option seems to be for us to return to USA every 6 months for just one day, and this way we keep all our Social Security ? I cant believe this bull crap . The clerk was very nice and promised to call us as soon as she had clarified the situation with her boss who had just left the office. Said she would call us by Monday and not to worry, yeah right !!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
guys I need help on this one. Just returned from trying to get my USA social security paid into my UK bank, the clerk admitted she wasnt very informed on our situation but apparrently because we do not plan living here anymore we could lose all or portion of our Social Security? Please tell me this isnt true. We stayed here 10 long years to ensure we had SS, surely they cant take away whats ours ? If they do it is going to cause us great hardship, I cant even think straight at this moment. the clerk said one option seems to be for us to return to USA every 6 months for just one day, and this way we keep all our Social Security ? I cant believe this bull crap . The clerk was very nice and promised to call us as soon as she had clarified the situation with her boss who had just left the office. Said she would call us by Monday and not to worry, yeah right !!
I would call SS directly. I have no idea if there are a minimum number of years or not.....I will be leaving with 39 years in the USA.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
I would call SS directly. I have no idea if there are a minimum number of years or not.....I will be leaving with 39 years in the USA.
Celticspirit, it never ceases to amaze me how quick someone replies, you are all amazing. I actually spent 2 hours on SS and await a phone call. I am so stressed at moment.

By way, your name implies, well celtic roots !! where are you from, we are returning to Cornwall, so are of course celts ourselves

Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

He will probably have you tagged for disposal, and there will be a young blonde in a sports car waiting around the corner.

Some years ago a former elderly neighbour said to me that he hoped his wife would have a big heart attack and die, he could then find a young blonde. The next day his wife died! Nothing suspicious though, his daughters bundled him into a nursing home, and he died a few months later.

Last edited by aries; Aug 17th 2011 at 1:18 am.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:25 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
You can get it paid into a UK account, once they change the address adn then you can give them the UK sort code (us router numbers) You may lose some of the money due to the windfall thing they have going, if you have under 30 years in and have a pension from elsewhere they can deduct so much per $ of the US SS there were some links around here to the ins and outs of it there is a minimum amount they would reduce the SS to they wouldn't take it all. But that would happen whether you lived in US or not. She does sound confused, you don't need to be in the US to collect the money.
http://www.ssa.gov/retire2/wep-chart.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/foreign/index.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.