Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I had 3 excess suitcases when I came over on BA, it was about $278 extra..Ive cut it down further to 2 large going back..its ridiculous to pay that much, you can buy alot of clothes at target for $278..lol

Jackie.
Jackie, do you have a ticket and date yet to go back?

Nosey Parker
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:45 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
No, but I need a patch to curtail my appetite. Maybe a patch right across my mouth
Actually my Diabetes has something to do with my appetite I think.
Remember when our mothers use to have to coach us to clean up our plate?
That was the start of it.

OAT. The TV channels are full of this acquittal of the mother, in Florida, that they 'think murdered her 2 year old'

Anyhow I just caught something of the issue you have over there about this phone tapping. It brought out that the UK politicians are at the mercy of Rupert Murdock and his media empire.
That is Rupert Murdoch, owner of the media empire as you say and an Australian to boot.

The phone tapping business is ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING for anybody who cares to look into the matter, I have never been a reader of any of his newspapers and will make a point now never, ever to buy one in the future.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
For those who are interested the whole London job for me has fallen through.
Aw I'm sorry to hear this although honestly, perhaps you're better off ooop north where the people are friendly and the tea is strong

Rodney you always give such wise advice - thinking too much has always been my biggest problem.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Rod, Have you asked at the Coucil offices, as to whether your Mum qualifies for ''Pension Credit''? I am fairly certain that she does, and if so, that council tax would then be waived. I would check, M8 - Regards Don
Hi Don,
I did look into that pension credit for my Mum, I took all the details like how much state pension she was getting and it turns out that she would be eligible to have her full basic pension topped up by pension credit to £137 per week ---- but you see she gets half of my Dads Private company pension and has done since he died in 1989 so that makes her unqualified for the pension credit top off, so in other words half my Dads private pension plus her state pension adds up to more then the gguaranteeof the £137 per week, so no break on the council tax, or dentist bills, or eye glasses, ununfortunately frown:
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Constitution Hill - the road that leads from the Buckingham Palace end of The Mall all the way down between Buckingham Palace gardens and Green Park to Hyde Park Corner - closed to all traffic on Sundays and public holidays, including Christmas Day.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Constitution Hill - the road that leads from the Buckingham Palace end of The Mall all the way down between Buckingham Palace gardens and Green Park to Hyde Park Corner - closed to all traffic on Sundays and public holidays, including Christmas Day.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Rodney, I quit 4 years ago using COMMIT LOZENGES, I dont know if they have them in the UK, but I am sure they must have something similar. They are good, every time you want a smoke just pop one in your mouth and let it disove slowly it releases a little nicoteen into your system. I started them with about 2 an hour..by the time I quit I was down to one a day..took me 2 months to quit, but when I did I was done..
Jackie
Jackie,
Thanks for that, I have written the name down in my little black book, I will try superdrugs or boots, and if not Ill ask the pharmacist if she knows of a simular one,
by the way do you have your plane fare booked yet? if so when you going back to Las Vegas
Rodney.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:22 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Aw I'm sorry to hear this although honestly, perhaps you're better off ooop north where the people are friendly and the tea is strong

Rodney you always give such wise advice - thinking too much has always been my biggest problem.

Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

I used the patch years ago and it was fantastic! No side effects at all. The only downside was the days I forgot to put it on in the morning and then went around biting everyone's head off until my husband would say 'um, did you forget your patch?' But the dosage tapers off so by the time I stopped using them, there was no side effect at all. That was 8 years ago and I wouldn't smoke now if you paid me lots of money. Never thought I'd say that.

I highly recommend them as a solution. They're not cheap but they're worth it. Could you get them on the NHS?
Yes Sally as an OAP or as we call them in the U.S. Senior Citizen (much prefer that) the patch is available to me for free for as long as I need it to help me quit, but obviously no one will quit if the will to quit is not there, and I do still have the will, all I have to get rid of is 3 lousy cigs a day why should that be so hard
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:34 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Sally as an OAP or as we call them in the U.S. Senior Citizen (much prefer that) the patch is available to me for free for as long as I need it to help me quit, but obviously no one will quit if the will to quit is not there, and I do still have the will, all I have to get rid of is 3 lousy cigs a day why should that be so hard
Because the pleasure receptors in your brain like the hit of nicotine??!!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
No, but I need a patch to curtail my appetite. Maybe a patch right across my mouth
Actually my Diabetes has something to do with my appetite I think.
Remember when our mothers use to have to coach us to clean up our plate?
That was the start of it.

OAT. The TV channels are full of this acquittal of the mother, in Florida, that they 'think murdered her 2 year old'

Anyhow I just caught something of the issue you have over there about this phone tapping. It brought out that the UK politicians are at the mercy of Rupert Murdock and his media empire.
Yes we had that story for the first time over here about the noly guilty verdict of that young mother, everyone seemed very surprised,

And yes the phone tapping scandel over here is getting as big as the Christine Keeler and mandy rice davis what was it called the perfumo scandel? something like that, you know the high priced hookers who almost brought down the U.K. government in the 60,s

Yes the News of the world is loosing millions every day from all the big giant companys pulling out of advertising in his news papers, he owns four big ones, plus almost half ownes the sky news on TV,
Hes a multi bilionair this Rupert guy, and he can make or break a politition with all his power and influence --- they are all scared of him,
He apparently has half of scotland yard being paid off by his top dogs that run the news of the world that made the phone tapping possible,
That was very funny cheers ---- you need a patch for your mouth huh
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I used the patch years ago and it was fantastic! No side effects at all. The only downside was the days I forgot to put it on in the morning and then went around biting everyone's head off until my husband would say 'um, did you forget your patch?' But the dosage tapers off so by the time I stopped using them, there was no side effect at all. That was 8 years ago and I wouldn't smoke now if you paid me lots of money. Never thought I'd say that.

I highly recommend them as a solution. They're not cheap but they're worth it. Could you get them on the NHS?
Thanks Sally for that advice
Old Jul 6th 2011, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am not sure if you can get them from the usual doctor's visit but I know for a fact if you join a Quit Smoking Clinic at your local health centre you can get the patches and the lozenges for the price of a prescription or in Rodney's case for free...........
Yes Barb thats what I meant
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exactly Rosie, I mean was I supposed to hang around until the year dot and live like a bag lady??

God helps those who help themselves springs to mind...........
Well Barb now you can put that Job in the smoke to rest, its great aint it when you are finally told, now you can get on with the rest of your life
If I were you I would go out and celabrate ---- have a drink for me too
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
UhhhHa OK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.