Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:24 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by trottytrue
jasper123....Yes I think I had almost given up selling. Its not been an easy 3 years so much has happened but I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. But nothing will ever be perfect I wish my Mother and Dad and my brother and my friends could have been around to see me going home. I know they would all be smiling.

I have to remember to dig up my apple tree. If you remember when my best friend died over two years ago, we were born weeks apart on the same street. I went to visit her grave and there was an apple tree over looking it. I picked up an apple and just before I left to come back to the US I cut it open and there was only one apple seed in it. I brought it back to the US and kept it in the fridge all winter. When spring came I soaked it in water and kept it in paper towels for 6 weeks. It finally sprouted. I planted it and kept it in the house for a couple of months and when it was big enough planted it in my garden it was doing really well till an animal chewed all its leaves off. I was heartbroken but a few weeks later more shoots came up and now its almost a foot tall. I am giving it to my daughter for safe keeping and she is going to take care of it for me.
Oh what a lovely story Trotty, warmed the cockles of my heart.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:19 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Can I suggest taking photos of treasures that you have, that way you can at least see them in a photograph later on, its not like touching and feeling but still its much better then nothing.

I took photos of many of my parents things before we split them up between ourselves, this way we still have them in one way or another.

What a lovely story ! My dear Gran had always had blue flowers in her garden, they grew what ever you did to stop em and she called them " them damn weeds ' but to me they represented Gran and Bumpi ( my Grandad ) that lovely couple reaised me until I was 5 years old and the bond was amazing. Anyway, I attempted several times to bring them back to USA and re plant but they never "took". My Gran passed away at 107, thay spring the "damn weeds" sprouted ! I get shivers just thinking about it. thanks for sharing, it reminded me to try and dig some plants up and replant in Cornwall when we return. which incidentally is in 3 short weeks, well almost 4 but 3 sounds closer !!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by judes
What a lovely story ! My dear Gran had always had blue flowers in her garden, they grew what ever you did to stop em and she called them " them damn weeds ' but to me they represented Gran and Bumpi ( my Grandad ) that lovely couple reaised me until I was 5 years old and the bond was amazing. Anyway, I attempted several times to bring them back to USA and re plant but they never "took". My Gran passed away at 107, thay spring the "damn weeds" sprouted ! I get shivers just thinking about it. thanks for sharing, it reminded me to try and dig some plants up and replant in Cornwall when we return. which incidentally is in 3 short weeks, well almost 4 but 3 sounds closer !!
sorry fish, attached to the wrong "quote" !! meant for Trottys post !!! Im sure you will make sense of it!!

Last edited by judes; Aug 13th 2011 at 11:21 am. Reason: more info
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

jasper123....Yes I think I had almost given up selling. Its not been an easy 3 years so much has happened but I think I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. But nothing will ever be perfect I wish my Mother and Dad and my brother and my friends could have been around to see me going home. I know they would all be smiling.

I have to remember to dig up my apple tree. If you remember when my best friend died over two years ago, we were born weeks apart on the same street. I went to visit her grave and there was an apple tree over looking it. I picked up an apple and just before I left to come back to the US I cut it open and there was only one apple seed in it. I brought it back to the US and kept it in the fridge all winter. When spring came I soaked it in water and kept it in paper towels for 6 weeks. It finally sprouted. I planted it and kept it in the house for a couple of months and when it was big enough planted it in my garden it was doing really well till an animal chewed all its leaves off. I was heartbroken but a few weeks later more shoots came up and now its almost a foot tall. I am giving it to my daughter for safe keeping and she is going to take care of it for me.
That's a beautiful story Trotty! If we ever have a place with a garden over here (we live in a 2nd floor flat) I might just do the same. My sister planted two apple trees in my dad's garden in Canada a few years ago and they are now producing healthy crops of fruit. Sadly there'll be no apple jelly for me this year for obvious reasons. Dad also has some beautiful orange day lilies out back and someday I might just sneak a shoot or two into the suitcase to see how they fare over in UK. About five years back I planted a little evergreen seedling behind his house and I'm happy to say that little 4" tall seedling is how about 1' high. Yesterday when I was talking to my Dad on the webcam he took the laptop out into the garden so I could see it. Ah the joys of modern technology!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

What a lovely heartwarming story, beautiful Denise2
Old Aug 13th 2011, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of lightGoldCoastMag is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by judes
sorry fish, attached to the wrong "quote" !! meant for Trottys post !!! Im sure you will make sense of it!!
So special when memories are triggered. I called my granpa "bumper" too.

Trotty I have watched your journey all this time and have my fingers crossed that everything is falling into place now. Step by step, you will do what it necessary and like others have said, stuff is just stuff, your health and happiness is what is important.

good luck

home on the Gold Coast 1 year now and still loving it
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I am so glad my apple tree story stirred memories in all of you. So many times we forget the little things in life when worrying about the big things. But those little plants or whatever it is that stirs a memory of the past brings a certain peace and can transport you back in time.
I am now thinking the reverse . I have already decided what it will be. I love lupins they are abundant in NH. I have a Wild Flower garden and they were really beautiful especially last year. I am going to get into my garden today and take some seed pods from certain flowers I love and store them to take home. They wil remind me of the good times in the US and the loves I have left behind. I am also taking one of my birdfeeders. I have see such beautiful birds and they are one of my loves I suppose its all wrapped in love of gardens and nature.

When I was young we only had a small front garden but my Dad would get so annoyed when Nasturtiums would take over. They always make me smile.

Nature to me is life and when I was at my saddest I would go and work in my garden, listen to the birds and it would transport me away from my worries. I also love frogs. I had one in my living room last week
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Wild Flower garden and they were really beautiful especially last year. I am going to get into my garden today and take some seed pods from certain flowers I love and store them to take home. They wil remind me of the good times in the US and the loves I have left behind.
That's a lovely, lovely idea, but I think there may be restrictions on bringing seeds into the UK from outside the EU. Might be worth checking into it properly so you are not disappointed if they are confiscated (or worse) on entry.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 7:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
That's a lovely, lovely idea, but I think there may be restrictions on bringing seeds into the UK from outside the EU. Might be worth checking into it properly so you are not disappointed if they are confiscated (or worse) on entry.

Or you need to hide them REALLY well.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Or you need to hide them REALLY well.
I can see it now, she's going to enter UK with seeds sown in the hem of her dress.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I can see it now, she's going to enter UK with seeds sown in the hem of her dress.
Or hidden in her stocking. LOL!!!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Or hidden in her stocking. LOL!!!
tucked in bra, that would work !!
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:01 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charleygirl
I am planning to come back for Thanksgiving it is also my Birthday that day and I just feel it will be better to be able to give the children a date they will see me again. I am interested on comments on that too, is it too soon to come back and see them, found a flight for 400 pounds with Aer Lingus. And then if my hubby ( ex) could bring them over for Christmas we could spend time together then too.

I hope this works out for you!

Tony and I have been back in the UK 1-year tomorrow but I haven't been able to go back home yet to see the kids/grandkids. One, mainly due to the cost and two, because I am working and it's only a temp job, I don't accumulate as much leave as a permanent employee does. The leave that I have banked has mostly been used up on all the various bank holidays since February. I am now, however, finally at a place where I think I can swing a weeklong trip back home this autumn and I can't wait. 10 and 12 year old boys can change quite a lot over a 12-month period.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:04 am
DDL

How we spent our day today: http://on.fb.me/qXBw36
Old Aug 14th 2011, 12:07 am
DDL

A recent day out in London: http://on.fb.me/qxGtxN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.