Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old May 10th 2011, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by bandrui
That's fantastic Bee. Congratulations.
I honestly feel that you have done remarkably well. I actually would be interested in hearing about some of the "dark days" too since I am sure that most of us will go through those times too.
I am having a hard time getting going on all the clearing out and getting rid of stuff. It just seems overwhelming at the moment.
Yes Bandrui,
All the sorting through everything that has taken many years to acumilate is hard, but you have got to be very ruthless or you will not get anything done and it all becomes so overwhelming,
I just sorted everything in 5 piles ---- one for charity, one for selling, one for giving away to my friend, one for just chucking out, and the last pile was the stuff that I just could not part with, stuff that meant a lot to me thats what I took with me in four large suitcases,
The secret is ----- the pile that you are keeping to take with you, just keep it as small as possible, ---- hence much smaller then the other 4 piles,
My hardest Job was sorting through a mountain of boxes in my Garage, I did it all in one full day in the middle of the Summer in Vegas at 113 degeas F.
But I got it done ---- Phew I really felt good about that when it was over and celebrated with a nice couple of ice cold beers and a few baccardi chasers
Old May 10th 2011, 12:46 pm

anishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really niceanishq is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just popping in quickly for a catch up at the local library as I have no Internet until May 18th.

Well after MANY interviews and much disappointment FINALLY I have a job, I start on June 1st and will be on monthly pay so I will be really pushing it by then money wise so I am looking now for any kind of temp work, shop, office, cleaning whatever it takes.

I won't say it's been easy doing this moving back to the UK and I have had some pretty dark days, but I have done it finally!!!

So if I can do it, and Rodney, and ED, and Anna, and David, and Jackie and Rosie and Denise and everybody else whose names I have forgotten, you CAN DO IT TOO!!!
Congratulations! What a relief for you to know finally that things are definitely looking up.
Old May 10th 2011, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Bandrui,
All the sorting through everything that has taken many years to acumilate is hard, but you have got to be very ruthless or you will not get anything done and it all becomes so overwhelming,
I just sorted everything in 5 piles ---- one for charity, one for selling, one for giving away to my friend, one for just chucking out, and the last pile was the stuff that I just could not part with, stuff that meant a lot to me thats what I took with me in four large suitcases,
The secret is ----- the pile that you are keeping to take with you, just keep it as small as possible, ---- hence much smaller then the other 4 piles,
My hardest Job was sorting through a mountain of boxes in my Garage, I did it all in one full day in the middle of the Summer in Vegas at 113 degeas F.
But I got it done ---- Phew I really felt good about that when it was over and celebrated with a nice couple of ice cold beers and a few baccardi chasers
Wow, I'm impressed! I've been waiting a year for my niece and her family to collect many things I am giving to them, including furniture my parents had in England before I was born.

It will be sad for me to leave some things behind, but I know that once they are gone from sight I shall cope better. A lot of things have already gone to a charity shop. My 24 ft garage is mainly full of cobwebs (I don't have a car now), so have asked a gardener/odd job man to clear it for me soon. I do not like spiders
Old May 10th 2011, 8:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Just popping in quickly for a catch up at the local library as I have no Internet until May 18th.

Well after MANY interviews and much disappointment FINALLY I have a job, I start on June 1st and will be on monthly pay so I will be really pushing it by then money wise so I am looking now for any kind of temp work, shop, office, cleaning whatever it takes.

I won't say it's been easy doing this moving back to the UK and I have had some pretty dark days, but I have done it finally!!!

So if I can do it, and Rodney, and ED, and Anna, and David, and Jackie and Rosie and Denise and everybody else whose names I have forgotten, you CAN DO IT TOO!!!
Fantastic news Bee!!!! What's the betting that your old job will now come back and offer you the Heathrow thing starting in July (it always works out like that!!!). Have you signed up with Arrow and a lot of those agencies? Surely there is something temp out there for you to see you through to the end of June.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Wow, I'm impressed! I've been waiting a year for my niece and her family to collect many things I am giving to them, including furniture my parents had in England before I was born.

It will be sad for me to leave some things behind, but I know that once they are gone from sight I shall cope better. A lot of things have already gone to a charity shop. My 24 ft garage is mainly full of cobwebs (I don't have a car now), so have asked a gardener/odd job man to clear it for me soon. I do not like spiders
If one is leaving there adopted country to finally go back home to UK, there in the planning stages or still just wondering if its the right thing to do or not,
everyones circumstances are so different, some people on here have to jump through some enormous hoops before there dream comes true, the biggest problem thats keeping people from just booking there tickets and planning there escape is they have to wait for there house to sell, and its a bad market, so obviously they cant just up and leave,
But one day almost everyone on here will be where they want to be, HOME AT LAST,
BUT there are just a few maybe a handful who will never leave, these are the ones on here that really would kind of like to go home one day, and they like the rest of us talking about it, and they like reading the stories, but they will never come home.
Old May 10th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

I
BUT there are just a few maybe a handful who will never leave, these are the ones on here that really would kind of like to go home one day, and they like the rest of us talking about it, and they like reading the stories, but they will never come home.
I would leave next month if I could but I am like Sally and waiting for my spouse to come around to my way of thinking. She probably thinks I'm potty.
My wife is my first consideration! Miracles do happen.
Old May 11th 2011, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Bandrui,
Yes. I've started by taking some bags to the thrift shop but it's a whole house of cards. I need to sort stuff out to sell but I don't have room to put it except the car port but the carport is full of stuff that needs sorting including 2 sheets of plywood that are blocking the way that need selling.
I'll be shipping a partial container so will ship a fair amount of stuff. I've given it a lot of thought and for some things it would be more expensive to replace than to ship. I am selling most of my furniture though. But that will be down the road after the house sells.
I've beeen wanting to have a big garage sale but we have had the worst Spring I can remember in 30 years... rain, rain and more rain. It's only been this week that we have had warm temperatures and it's raining again.
I've been doing a fair amount of work in the garden, lots of burn piles, fixing the fence, putting in my veggie garden, but I'm only one person and am doing gardening jobs too so it is just going to take as long as it takes. I can't set a deadline right now.

Last edited by bandrui; May 11th 2011 at 7:14 am.
Old May 11th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes. I've started by taking some bags to the thrift shop but it's a whole house of cards. I need to sort stuff out to sell but I don't have room to put it except the car port but the carport is full of stuff that needs sorting including 2 sheets of plywood that are blocking the way that need selling.
I'll be shipping a partial container so will ship a fair amount of stuff. I've given it a lot of thought and for some things it would be more expensive to replace than to ship. I am selling most of my furniture though. But that will be down the road after the house sells.
I've beeen wanting to have a big garage sale but we have had the worst Spring I can remember in 30 years... rain, rain and more rain. It's only been this week that we have had warm temperatures and it's raining again.
I've been doing a fair amount of work in the garden, lots of burn piles, fixing the fence, putting in my veggie garden, but I'm only one person and am doing gardening jobs too so it is just going to take as long as it takes. I can't set a deadline right now.
PHEW bandrui ---- you are working hard and a lot of stuff to do, good luck and although coming home for you seems a long way off ---- mostly cause u have to see how long it takes to sell the house, but I can see you will be back home one day, and as u say it will take as long as it takes!!!!
Old May 11th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Wind...I'd like to tell you how my own mother moved back 'home' with 5 very young children in tow. My step-father had died a little over a year earlier, leaving my mother and their 5 young children an insurance policy in the total sum of $6000. My mother owned no home and basically lived in poverty her 18 years in America, even though her husband had worked for the US govt. What little my mother had, she sold everything and only took clothes. She had not seen her family in 18 years, and had little contact...she was also one might say the 'black sheep' of the family. She did return to family, but not necessarily was she received with open arms by them, especially with her 'American' children. My mom stayed with my 3 brothers at her Mom's very, very small 2 bedroom row house in Croydon. My 2 sisters were farmed out to mom's sister's home in Kent. Mind you, yes...she was receiving soc. sec. checks for the children..but that took some time in coming over to England back in 1965. My grandmother was not all that pleased that my mother was staying with her with my brothers. But my mom did what she felt she had to do and soon rented a place that would take her and 5 children. Actually turned out to be quite a nice house in Upper Norwood, semi-detached...but she did over-pay in rent so that the owner of the house would agree to rent to her. All did work out for my mom and the kids...even though the getting there and starting out was difficult at first.

Wind, if I remember correctly...you stated you had a 1/2 sister in the UK...can you not stay with her? As far as moving expenses, i.e. plane fare, etc...have you thought about selling everything you own to get where you really want to go? I know if it was me....that's exactly what I would do, just like my mom. In fact, I have done this once in the past, right here in America....sold everything and started all over again. I hope you know that I only say this to you...as a suggestion from a person who watched her own mother return 'home', by any means necessary. And hoping you can realize your dream soon to return home.

Chris
Nooo, I cannot stay with her. It is a strange situation. It is something she would not offer and something I would not want.

I will be selling most things here anyway. That is not the problem. The problem is having somewhere to stay to get at first to get established.

Where there's a will, there's a way . . .
Old May 11th 2011, 3:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

You can list so many odds and ends on Craigslist.org even things like plywood. Maybe it'll be a start till the weather picks up and you can have a garage sale.
We are rural and no one comes around the garage sales much. So Craigslist and or a flyer at the town post office or donations are it for us. Dh was looking at craigslist last night, he's trying to get going on selling his boats (yes it's multiple LOL)
Old May 11th 2011, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

If one is leaving there adopted country to finally go back home to UK, there in the planning stages or still just wondering if its the right thing to do or not,
everyones circumstances are so different, some people on here have to jump through some enormous hoops before there dream comes true, the biggest problem thats keeping people from just booking there tickets and planning there escape is they have to wait for there house to sell, and its a bad market, so obviously they cant just up and leave,
But one day almost everyone on here will be where they want to be, HOME AT LAST,
Yes, I agree with this.

I only made a firm decision to return about six months ago. Of course, typical me . . . once the decision is made . . . do it NOW! It's not possible. It has to be planned over time, at least for me. My original plan was to go back in three years when I am 62. I might have to hold to that if I cannot find a reasonable, comfortable way back in the meantime. That's okay. Such a huge move takes a while. Three years is nothing really.

To go and live in another country, albeit our own country, takes lots of thought, planning and preparation as well as dealing with all the emotions, good and bad, surrounding the move. It is not as easy as getting a plane ticket and just flying over, at least for most of us anyway.

The biggest problem is trying to survive in the USA until then!

Last edited by windsong; May 11th 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Old May 12th 2011, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You can list so many odds and ends on Craigslist.org even things like plywood. Maybe it'll be a start till the weather picks up and you can have a garage sale.
We are rural and no one comes around the garage sales much. So Craigslist and or a flyer at the town post office or donations are it for us. Dh was looking at craigslist last night, he's trying to get going on selling his boats (yes it's multiple LOL)
We have a local Community List quite like Craigslist where we can list things to sell (among other things). Craigslist won't help me because the closest one is Victoria and the people looking will not be taking the ferry over to buy things, unless it's a major purchase. All ideas gratefully received though.
Old May 12th 2011, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future

We have a local Community List quite like Craigslist where we can list things to sell (among other things). Craigslist won't help me because the closest one is Victoria and the people looking will not be taking the ferry over to buy things, unless it's a major purchase. All ideas gratefully received though.
How about the Notice Board beside Barb's Bakery !!
Old May 13th 2011, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by HighTide
How about the Notice Board beside Barb's Bakery !!
Aha. Someone knows Salt Spring.
Old May 14th 2011, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

A SHOUT OUT TO RODNEY AND ALL THE OLDIES!!!!!

Sorry Rodney, only just heard your cry from sometime in April. It's Malta's laid back attitude - took me this long to wake up and hear it!

YES, I am still here. One year now!!!! How is everyone??????? Jasper, can you give me a quick rundown before I disappear again please - life too exciting and too much fun for me to spend time on here (sorry!). And of course, I am disappointed, not one of you that knew me have come to visit me yet!!! What's up with that? Sorry again Jasper - never did get that scarf knitted for you, but I am thinking I have plenty of time before the next cold snap hits you

Really hope everyone is happy and well, whether you made it back to the UK or not, whether you changed plans or not - just do what your intuition tells you and the Universe will take care of the rest!!!

Rodney, I'll send you a pm.

ciao ciao xxxx Malta rocks!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.