Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dontheturner
Hello, Hello, At long last! After waiting for SIX weeks to get a new landline installed- and then finally geting the PC up and running, just s few days ago!

We left Ubonratchathani Airport, at 9.40am on the 20th Feb, Arrived Bangkok @ 10.30am, Sat around, much of the day, then when the family arrived with ourfFive large suitcases, BA check-in decided to weigh each with their new digital scales, and made me leave items behind from every piece, because we we were a half kilo, here and there over. - Never mind, the flight (BA10) which should have left at 00i0hrs, was taxiing around the perimeter of the Airport, until 0058hrs before we finally had lift-off. All was made up for, by the outstandingly lovely food en-route, and we actually landed early at London Heathrow at 05.30am on the 21st.! Immigration were vwery docile - and at 6am, we were heading around the M25 and headed North. We were in Shropshire, and approaching our home by 10.50am, where my lovely Daughter, Christine and our best friend Sheila, were waiting on the driveway, with tears streaming down their faces, to greet us. Oh! happy re-unions!

She has equipped, re-decorated, and fully furnished, the home, for us - so well, the only thing we had to buy for the first two weeks, was a frying pan.- But making do, with a new mobile (which she had bought for me) I did find tiresome. We now have a car, a 2002 Silver Rover 45 Automatic (1.8 Ltr) - but as I cannot prove my No Claims Bonus ( No such thing in Thailand), the insurance is over £700 a year, but will fall next year. Will have some photos for you all - next message - Love to Tina, Sally Barb, Peigi, Rod, in fact-- all of you here, and there! Love Don xxxx
Fantastic, I'd been wondering where you had got to.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:56 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear from you Don!

Can't wait to see photos and hear more. And how wonderful that you had a welcoming committee and such a lovely home to come back to.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, Hello, At long last! After waiting for SIX weeks to get a new landline installed- and then finally geting the PC up and running, just s few days ago!

We left Ubonratchathani Airport, at 9.40am on the 20th Feb, Arrived Bangkok @ 10.30am, Sat around, much of the day, then when the family arrived with ourfFive large suitcases, BA check-in decided to weigh each with their new digital scales, and made me leave items behind from every piece, because we we were a half kilo, here and there over. - Never mind, the flight (BA10) which should have left at 00i0hrs, was taxiing around the perimeter of the Airport, until 0058hrs before we finally had lift-off. All was made up for, by the outstandingly lovely food en-route, and we actually landed early at London Heathrow at 05.30am on the 21st.! Immigration were vwery docile - and at 6am, we were heading around the M25 and headed North. We were in Shropshire, and approaching our home by 10.50am, where my lovely Daughter, Christine and our best friend Sheila, were waiting on the driveway, with tears streaming down their faces, to greet us. Oh! happy re-unions!

She has equipped, re-decorated, and fully furnished, the home, for us - so well, the only thing we had to buy for the first two weeks, was a frying pan.- But making do, with a new mobile (which she had bought for me) I did find tiresome. We now have a car, a 2002 Silver Rover 45 Automatic (1.8 Ltr) - but as I cannot prove my No Claims Bonus ( No such thing in Thailand), the insurance is over £700 a year, but will fall next year. Will have some photos for you all - next message - Love to Tina, Sally Barb, Peigi, Rod, in fact-- all of you here, and there! Love Don xxxx

Great to hear from you, Don! SO glad all is well. Great how your daughter made your home all ready for you.....I am wondering how your wife is doing, is she finding England chilly?

(the other) Tina.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I think from my findings the older the car and the bigger the engine size you pay more road tax and petrol. It's all very well for the government to be protecting the environment from carbon emissions but it doesn't help poor returnees like myself (and others).
So very true, if you buy a smaller and more economical earth friendly car you pay less to tax it, that type of info is in the back of Cam magazines such as Top Gear.

Insurance group ratings are in there too, the smaller te number the cheaper the price of Insurance.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update Don, its nice to see you back online, some of us were getting a little concerned. Back in the UK, Lucky You.

Last edited by Fish n Chips 56; Apr 15th 2011 at 3:44 pm.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Welcome home Don

Glad to hear things are going well for you .
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
Welcome home Don

Glad to hear things are going well for you .
Don.. Is nice to hear that things have gone smoothly for you on your return.
Enjoy!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:47 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

We now have a car, a 2002 Silver Rover 45 Automatic (1.8 Ltr) - but as I cannot prove my No Claims Bonus ( No such thing in Thailand), the insurance is over £700 a year, but will fall next year. Will have some photos for you all - next message - Love to Tina, Sally Barb, Peigi, Rod, in fact-- all of you here, and there! Love Don xxxx
Don so lovely to hear from you!!!!

I have my car now too, not as swish as yours but it will do for now.......until I too can afford a Rover.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

My car is a 1997 Vauxhall Vectra CDX 16V Automatic (2L I think ) like you Don I am having probs with insurance but will keep working away at it to find the lowest quote, I am now thinking of going for 3rd party fire and theft only as the car was cheap to buy and the excess is around £250 to £350 for fully comprehensive. Of course the car was cheap but the road tax is twice the normal price as it's a bigger car and had none , only the 12 months MOT, and of course I am on a strict budget as that millionaire boyfriend is still in hiding.

The car cost £650.00 to buy.

I went to look at a wee tiny flat to rent this afternoon in Altrincham, £500 per month including council tax and all utility bills, it is very small and NOTHING like the gorgeous properties you guys are looking at on Rightmove but hey it's a start and we all have to start somewhere............the only thing is that a young EMPLOYED girl has put in for the flat too. The owner lives in Portugal so the estate agents have to put our applications to her and she gets to choose who lives there, I just hope she is looking for an old duck like me.

Hopefully I will hear this weekend and will move in ASAP.

I had a job interview on Wednesday, I've heard nothing so far, so assume I didn't get the job, but hey ho I have another interview on Monday afternoon, so will keep plugging away until somebody gives me a break, nobody said it was going to be easy doing this returnee thing did they? Remember ED and her trials and tribulations.

The reason I am moving is that living here and applying for jobs in Manchester is kind of going against me, I forget that here in the UK most people don't commute like I did in Australia so employers look at things very differently here. For instance my sister said she wouldn't commute for more than 1/2 hour each way to a job, at one time in Australia I was commuting for 5 hours per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trottytrue you would have liked my train trip today. Runcorn East to Chester, then change for the Manchester Piccadilly train calling at Altrincham, how beautiful the journey was passing through Mouldsworth, Delamere, Lostock Gralam, Northwich, etc. The fields were sooo green and all the new born lambs were skipping along.

So that's my update for now, still homeless and jobless but I now have wheels, I'm getting there!!
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

My car is a 1997 Vauxhall Vectra CDX 16V Automatic (2L I think ) like you Don I am having probs with insurance but will keep working away at it to find the lowest quote, I am now thinking of going for 3rd party fire and theft only as the car was cheap to buy and the excess is around £250 to £350 for fully comprehensive.
One would think that in light of the 650 pound cost and the excess that third party f & t would be the way to go in this instance. What do you reckon the cost savings are by this route?

My only concern is that since you are insuring on this basis you might not be getting credit for a clean driving record down the road (no pun intended) when you want to convert to fully comp on some other motor.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

My car is a 1997 Vauxhall Vectra CDX 16V Automatic (2L I think ) like you Don I am having probs with insurance but will keep working away at it to find the lowest quote, I am now thinking of going for 3rd party fire and theft only as the car was cheap to buy and the excess is around £250 to £350 for fully comprehensive. Of course the car was cheap but the road tax is twice the normal price as it's a bigger car and had none , only the 12 months MOT, and of course I am on a strict budget as that millionaire boyfriend is still in hiding.

I went to look at a wee tiny flat to rent this afternoon in Altrincham, £500 per month including council tax and all utility bills, it is very small and NOTHING like the gorgeous properties you guys are looking at on Rightmove but hey it's a start and we all have to start somewhere............the only thing is that a young EMPLOYED girl has put in for the flat too. The owner lives in Portugal so the estate agents have to put our applications to her and she gets to choose who lives there, I just hope she is looking for an old duck like me.

Hopefully I will hear this weekend and will move in ASAP.

I had a job interview on Wednesday, I've heard nothing so far, so assume I didn't get the job, but hey ho I have another interview on Monday afternoon, so will keep plugging away until somebody gives me a break, nobody said it was going to be easy doing this returnee thing did they? Remember ED and her trials and tribulations.

The reason I am moving is that living here and applying for jobs in Manchester is kind of going against me, I forget that here in the UK most people don't commute like I did in Australia so employers look at things very differently here. For instance my sister said she wouldn't commute for more than 1/2 hour each way to a job, at one time in Australia I was commuting for 5 hours per day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that's my update for now, still homeless and jobless but I now have wheels, I'm getting there!!
Hi Barb...

Thanks for the Car Info, I was going to ask, I think you did alright, Diesel Vectra automatics are good cars, I've rented a few, Good for you, Hopefully you can get that Insurance sorted out soon.

I know the road tax seems high and it is, as you said before its based on C02 emissions, the cheaper taxes are for cars with very low emissions, I think cars over a certain age pay no tax at all, maybe someone could enlighten us on that...

Good luck with the Job search and the Flat, if its meant to be it will happen for you.

I agree with your comment on travel to work, many Brit's do work close to home.

Take Care and Good Luck... Fish
Old Apr 16th 2011, 2:44 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Dontheturner.....So nice to have you back look forword to the pictures. It sounds like you have a lovely daughter. Waiting to hear how you are setling in and whether you have been to the pie shop yet.

Beedubya....Yes I would have loved that journey, Spring was and is one of my most favourite times of the year.

Jasper123....How are you doing is it still 2 cigs a day

Update on what is going on here. We changed realestate company and have had two showings in the past 2 weeks no sale but at least things are picking up. I have had trouble with one of my eyes unfortunately which could not have come at a worst time but I am managing. Not sure what it is but part of my retina has stuck down. Anyway thats a bit off topic. But it is causing me problems with working in the garden. We have another showing on Tuesday.

Charleygirl should be back soon I have not heard from her yet.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Bee, I think you are doing really great for having been back such a short time. I only ever take the minimum insurance (liability) on my 90 something vehicles here and it still counts for my clean driving record. That is also what I would do in the UK. Not sure how it is there but I think they are mainly interested, as most insurance companies are, that you have made no claims.

It's great that you have all these job interviews. Sooner or later one will gel .

On the tenant topic, as someone who has had many tenants, I would take an older person over a younger one any day. My young tenant likes her tunes and friends over. Sometimes the volume bothers me (you would think she was deaf) but I grin and bear it and think of the rent cheque . I hope your prospective landlord feels the same way. Small is fine. Down the road if you want to change, you can and less to keep clean .

Good luck with those job interviews .
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighTide
Hey Rodney......great to hear from you. What a brilliant Spring we have been having here. Isn't it great we both made the huge decision to come back.

As far as the car insurance goes I phoned quite a few insurance providers and Direct Line were the only ones that would take into account my claims free record. They just required 3 years claims free to get the full discount.

I just checked my insurance and the total cost was 286.20 pounds which when broken down is:
166.42 Premium after deducting discounts including No Claims Discount
26.50 Motor Legal Protection
66.78 Direct Line rescue (anywhere in the UK)

I was pretty happy with that after getting quotes of 1300, 900, 700 from other companies. Direct Line require that I submit written proof of my claims free record with in 30 days of providing the insurance.
Thanks a lot David for info on direct line, do you know my last car insurance in U.S. was for 5 years --- I used to change around every few years cause they all put the premiums up every year,
now guess what mate ---- about a month before I left U.S. I decided to get a badly dented wing taken care of before I sold the car and I got my insurance to repair it, it cost them less then $1,000, but you see even though the damage was done in a supermarket parking lot by a high speed wind propelled shopping cart ----- Oh I mean Trolly ------- anyway that one and only claim messed up my no claims good record,
So I dont think I will be able to use U.S. proof of no claims so to get the insurance cheaper, David on your insurance how much money did you save by producing over 3 years of no claims from your Canada insurance from direct line?
And yes it IS great that we made that big decision to come home, its great living here isn't it, and what a lovely spring we are having too,
Old Apr 16th 2011, 10:28 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
One would think that in light of the 650 pound cost and the excess that third party f & t would be the way to go in this instance. What do you reckon the cost savings are by this route?

My only concern is that since you are insuring on this basis you might not be getting credit for a clean driving record down the road (no pun intended) when you want to convert to fully comp on some other motor.
Well as it turns out comprehensive worked out cheaper than third party, go figure as you Yanks say.

I have gone with Directline (thank you DDL and David) as they worked out the cheapest at about £440.00, third party fire & theft was £499.00!!!

I really don't understand how they work out insurance here, VERY different to Australia, the girl on the phone told me that the reason the policies are so expensive is that the insurance companies had a lot of claims because of the severe winter. You can bet your bottom dollar if it's a mild winder the cost will not come down...............

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.