Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Barb Im so sorry that your going through this right now, i dont have Kids or family back in the States, but I can feel your pain, I really can,
To be honest with you though Barb Im not always full of the Joys of life either, some days I wake up and I feel like cursing at everything and everyone, thats how I feel sometimes but I dont cause my Mum's here, but sometimes I feel like screaming and Ive just got myself to worry about ,
The weather down south has been pretty grim the last couple of weeks too here, lots of rain and a summer that feels like winter, and quite cold, not used to that yet, so who knows maybe thats got a lot to do with it, or maybe Im just going through my change of life or should I have gone through that a while ago
Another theory I had Barb was this, tell me what you think of this please,
Like you and me and Jackie and others have just come from real hot places, and those places weve come from we were there for a huge chunk of our lives, ---- so what do you think of this ---- our bodies all this time has been used to the (SUN) and lots of it all the time, like every day, and SUN is the natural thing that gives us our energy and strengh, and just being in the sun just cheers you up dont it
Then the three of us at least have been here for what about the same time give or take a couple of months, and our bodies have more or less been starved of the SUN that our bodies have been used to,
Such a shock to the system right, and it is reasonable to assume that it would put us in the doom and gloom syndrome then add the sadness of missing your family and friends back in your adopted country and Walla.
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
To All.....Our trip home is booked

QE 2.....May 29th 2012 leaving from New York....
WHOOPIE trotty good on ya, Hmmmm Lardy Dah, just like DDL/Denise huh QE2 how exciting is that Oh you lucky things,
Theres nothing like the feeling of having a real solid date to leave, suddenly you know that it not just a dream any more, its actually happening, so thats about 10 months from now so you should have plenty of time to get ready,
when I booked my ticket my date of leaving was just like yours --- 10 months ahead ---- but you will be surprised how quickly that time just flies by, so dont dilly dally you have lots to do, and Congrats again on your house sale, is your hubby as happy and excited as you are?
Do you know trotty it was just a couple of weeks ago that you were almost crying and you were saying something like you cant see a way out, that you were so tired of keeping the house up all the time, and you wondered if you would ever be able to leave and come home, it just shows you dont it, and this has got to be a very important message to all that are waiting to sell there house ----- never give up,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Thanks, Tina. You're comments are always so friendly.

Honesty is always the best policy, isn't it - being honest with ourselves and being honest with others.

I really admire Jackie's honesty which hopefully will serve as a catalyst for all of us.

If we aren't honest about what it's really like once we make the move back, we're doing everyone a disservice. And this applies to all aspects of life after the move, not just emotions.
Denise your right there, we all have to be honest, honest with ourselves and therefore honest with everyone on here,
Real nice to see you posting on here again,
Rodney.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Beeduya...I had another case of the wobbles today. My daughter called and we got chatting and I said that she was the main reason I would ever think of staying in the US. She told me that she would be content knowing that I was able to take care of myself. She would not be available all the time as she works and she said I would be stuck in on my own and no better off than I am now. I suggested that if I did not go back to the UK I could always buy a house next door to her. Her answer was "No you XXXXXX couldnt I would end up killing you"
This is also why I could never consider living near my brother or sister in England even though it might be practical for me to resettle. Distance has been our saviour!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Barb Im so sorry that your going through this right now, i dont have Kids or family back in the States, but I can feel your pain, I really can,
To be honest with you though Barb Im not always full of the Joys of life either, some days I wake up and I feel like cursing at everything and everyone, thats how I feel sometimes but I dont cause my Mum's here, but sometimes I feel like screaming and Ive just got myself to worry about ,
The weather down south has been pretty grim the last couple of weeks too here, lots of rain and a summer that feels like winter, and quite cold, not used to that yet, so who knows maybe thats got a lot to do with it, or maybe Im just going through my change of life or should I have gone through that a while ago
Like you and me and Jackie and others have just come from real hot places, and those places weve come from we were there for a huge chunk of our lives, ---- so what do you think of this ---- our bodies all this time has been used to the (SUN) and lots of it all the time, like every day, and SUN is the natural thing that gives us our energy and strengh, and just being in the sun just cheers you up dont it
Then the three of us at least have been here for what about the same time give or take a couple of months, and our bodies have more or less been starved of the SUN that our bodies have been used to,
Such a shock to the system right, and it is reasonable to assume that it would put us in the doom and gloom syndrome then add the sadness of missing your family and friends back in your adopted country and Walla.
Take care,
Rodney.
This is what I've been thinking, we've become used to a lot of sun, so how will I cope when I return after being away for most of the past 51 years? My return is likely to be in autumn or the start of winter when the cold sets in, depending on the sale of my house.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Great to see you here again, Celtic, and to hear your more definite plans and goals--return by the end of the year! Good luck with it all...it certainly must feel overwhelming. But we have seen by the inspiring examples of others that it can be done...with a little luck as well (buyer for the house etc).
Here's hoping all goes as smoothly as possible for you!

Tina
Thank you very much Tina. Now that I am back from Sweden, it is time to tackle closets and cupboards :-(
Old Jul 20th 2011, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

To All.....Our trip home is booked

QE 2.....May 29th 2012 leaving from New York....
So happy for you Trotty!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 3:17 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
This is what I've been thinking, we've become used to a lot of sun, so how will I cope when I return after being away for most of the past 51 years? My return is likely to be in autumn or the start of winter when the cold sets in, depending on the sale of my house.
This is the thing I am most looking forward to - getting away from this infernal heat. I don't know why but I have never been able to adapt to the weather here - we have had days and days of 90 degree weather and now they are saying it will continue that way for another week getting gradually hotter until it reaches 100 degrees. I hate that I can't go out for a walk or do any gardening. I hate that everything in the garden is wilting. And I hate the feeling of not being able to breathe when I set foot outside - not to mention being eaten alive by mosquitos.

Nope I am not going to miss the sun at all.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:04 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Take care,
Rodney.
I think there is a lot of truth in this Rodney, except for odd days here and there the weather here has been pretty awful and I will be honest in that I don't like heat and humidity but I do miss a blue sky and the light from the sun, it is going to take some time to adjust to grey skies, I wouldn't mind so much in the colder months, but this is supposed to be bloomin' summer ...........mmmmm..... I did buy these light bulbs off Amazon a few months back 8 quid each they were they are supposed to give a natural cheery light rather than the yellow tones off light bulbs we are used to.....I put one up in my sisters hall and you could see a real difference, so my mother raved about it that much, I gave her one, told her to be careful as the bayonet is very delicate and to be careful, she phoned me when she got home and told me she had broken it trying to put it into the fitting!!

It won't fit it any ceiling fittings here because it has all these modern trendy light fittings installed but I am going to find that light bulb tonight and GENTLY try and fit it into a lamp, thanks for the reminder.

Last edited by Beedubya; Jul 20th 2011 at 5:14 am.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

WHOOPIE trotty good on ya, Hmmmm Lardy Dah, just like DDL/Denise huh QE2 how exciting is that Oh you lucky things,
Theres nothing like the feeling of having a real solid date to leave, suddenly you know that it not just a dream any more, its actually happening, so thats about 10 months from now so you should have plenty of time to get ready,
when I booked my ticket my date of leaving was just like yours --- 10 months ahead ---- but you will be surprised how quickly that time just flies by, so dont dilly dally you have lots to do, and Congrats again on your house sale, is your hubby as happy and excited as you are?
Do you know trotty it was just a couple of weeks ago that you were almost crying and you were saying something like you cant see a way out, that you were so tired of keeping the house up all the time, and you wondered if you would ever be able to leave and come home, it just shows you dont it, and this has got to be a very important message to all that are waiting to sell there house ----- never give up,
Take care,
Rodney.

I was just thinking that Rodney catching up on the posts, how Trotty was ALMOST on the point of giving up after SOOOO many house viewings and SOOO many disappointments, but the British Bulldog spirit shone through and she persevered and look what happened.

Well done Trotty True and Mr True (is he OK with this big move?) any thoughts of just where you will end up? North or South?

And well done on the QE2 too, what a way to come home, just imagine SAILING into England on a big cruise ship (instead of crammed into a plane).............sigh...........sounds like heaven to me.

Now the big countdown begins.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:12 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
This is the thing I am most looking forward to - getting away from this infernal heat. I don't know why but I have never been able to adapt to the weather here - we have had days and days of 90 degree weather and now they are saying it will continue that way for another week getting gradually hotter until it reaches 100 degrees. I hate that I can't go out for a walk or do any gardening. I hate that everything in the garden is wilting. And I hate the feeling of not being able to breathe when I set foot outside - not to mention being eaten alive by mosquitos.

I don't miss the intense heat Sally and definitely not the humidity.

But I have missed the light that comes from a daily sun, I just wrote to Rodney about the light globes I bought and I know there are some SAD lamps you can buy but I think they are out of my budget...........

I think I heard you and another discuss once on here about taking a certain vitamin??
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:22 am
Home Sweet Home

Thank you everybody for your good wishes, I am feeling a lot better this week, it's like one of those cartoons like Popeye or something where this dark cloud hovers over your head and follows you round everywhere you go, it can be a struggle to get rid of it, but it can be done with a lot of work!!

When I get like this it makes it WORSE when I talk to my kids on Skype etc. it is better for me to talk to them when I am more upbeat if that makes sense........otherwise I come off the call in floods of tears........anyway I am OK now until the next time..........and I am sure there will be a next time.

Trotty there was something about your chat with your daughter that resonated with me............as I would have gotten older in Australia and not been in a good financial position (high rents, not so great pension, very little government help), I am sure my daughter and to some lesser extent my son would have felt obliged to help me and you know I would NEVER want to be a burden on my kids.........she may have felt that I would have to live with them, but also knowing we would kill each other too LOL!! Thanks to your daughter for my little eye opener.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I don't miss the intense heat Sally and definitely not the humidity.

But I have missed the light that comes from a daily sun, I just wrote to Rodney about the light globes I bought and I know there are some SAD lamps you can buy but I think they are out of my budget...........

I think I heard you and another discuss once on here about taking a certain vitamin??
I take Calcium with Vitamin D daily - you get Vitamin D from the sunlight, and the two elements work together: Ca + D. Also when we get older (our bodies if not our minds!) we need Magnesium as well as other vitamins and minerals which are often missing or in inadequate quantities in our daily diets. So I am now on my vitamin and mineral daily regime, especially as I am now living amongst those who provide me with a great example of what NOT to do as you get older - osteoporosis, diabetes, TV dinners, missing teeth - the list is long.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:34 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by DDL
J.J.
We are currently just about at the 11-month mark, so not far behind you. We are thoroughly enjoying England for all the reasons we returned for. I would say that our standard of living isn't quite what it was in the States, but it doesn't matter: we're having Afternoon Tea this Saturday beneath a Rubens ceiling at Banqueting House in London.

Take care!
Hello Denise,
thanks, and yes, I agree, there are a lot of interests that make life here fulfilling.
We hike on Roman roads here in Norfolk, visit London and places such as Apsley House and Naval College at Greenwich, visit Dover and the spectacularly refurbished castle, discover nearby towns that we would previously have just driven past, meet with family and friends that used to only be represented by a Christmas card, chat to strangers on the bus into town. We have visited Cuba as UKC's and have a trip next month with friends to Normandy and home of Monet. It is definitely all there to enjoy.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the positives too.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:45 am
J.J
BE Enthusiast

J.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to allJ.J is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

Sally, ditto, I am so glad to not have to face the heat & humidity of another Carolinas summer for all the reasons you mention.

Spring here was wonderful, lots of sun although too little rain. My garden is thriving now with these summer storms, and there must be some sun getting through because my tomatoes are ripening.

Rodney, you are right though, the loss of the sunlight we are used to over there could well be affecting us. I try to top-up daily, taking my cuppa into the garden and a walk later, plus time outdoors at weekends. Getting a few rays does brighten my mood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.