Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Mrs Sully...Many of us on here are in the same position as you. We have families in our adopted countries but feel the need to return home. I am constantly worrying if I am doing the right thing. Leaving my daughter will be a big heartbreak but she wants me to go. She knows how long I have waited for this. My Sons are happy about it. So I am going to give it a try. If I dont I will forever wonder what would it have been like. I think you should go for it. Nothing is lost if you are not selling your home. We are going to rent for a couple of months and look around for a house. By that time I should know if I made the right decision or not.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 3:09 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Charleygirl...Thankyou for explaining. I went back and read it and you are correct. Shame its January we could have gone back as soon as the house closed. But its nice that we dont have to spend all that money on the blood work. I am going to the vets this week so I shall ask him to fill out the forms for Defra.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Hello to all my 'forum friends'. I haven't been online for a while for various reasons, mainly I just didn't think I would get the opportunity to return 'home'. We have been back for a couple of holidays in the past two years and prior to that we did regular trips. I was always 'homesick' when I left to fly back to Aust.

My husband retired recently and we began to look at our future plans. Our children and four little grandchildren all live near to us in Canberra. However, with the rise of the AUD against the GBP and a falling house market, the time seems better to return home than ever. This is the plan and the big decision: we have put an offer on a house in Norfolk and it has been accepted. We have discussed the move with our daughter (36) and her husband, they are supportive and feel the grandchildren (3,4) would enjoy the excitement of the visits. Our son (39) and his children (1,5) would not be too perturbed as the other grandparents spend quite a lot of time overseas.

We would rent our house out here for three - five years rather than sell and lose money if we wanted to return.

The dilemma is now that it all seems possible anxiety has set in regarding my daughter and her little family. Given my husband says he is doing this for me it now seems a huge responsibility. I never thought I would ever feel so torn, I know you have been through this Beedubya.

My husband has just had his 60th birthday and I will join this select club in a week so this also seems like a good time in our lives. We could rent in the UK but we feel this is a good opportunity (albeit, with some risk).

So now dear friends, I know some of you have been in this place, I would like to draw on your wisdom and experiences.

It was great to read your updates B and TT - you made it!

Finally, thank you to lovely Quoll who just seems to see things from my side of the prism, it's nice to be understood. That is the lovely thing about this forum just lots of advice without judgement.

I hope you all have something to look forward to this week.
Hi Mrs Scully, lovely to hear from you again and good luck with your move It is an awful dilemma when your family will not be moving with you, when we went back to Canada, we had decided we would make a point of trying to go back twice a year, or if my kids could afford it for them to visit in the summer and us to go home for Christmas, for us it did'nt work out as we had nobody in Canada, so it was just too lonely, maybe if I had had some sort of family there it would have worked better. The fact you are not selling your family home is such a big bonus for you, if things really do not work this side of the pond you are in the enviable position of being able to go back. Also buying a house here I think is fantastic as to me it the right time to buyif you can, and again if you have to go back, you will have no problem renting that property out, as you may know the rentals in the uk are at an all time high, because of the demand as people can no longer get mortages... so why not treat this as a great adventure with the security of being able to go back if you so wish. Of course you will miss the family and grandkids, but if you can keep busy and get involved with things it should really help, and use the rent money from your property in Australia for your fares to visit your family back in aus, or as a treat, buy their tickets to visit you at say Christmas I really wish you well and hope it all works, keep in touch and let us know how you get on, Denise 2
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
OMG that is awesome, wow, I am speechless, thank god...........I have to leave my dog behind because he is 13 and a half and would eat any other dog, cat, rabbit, pet rat or spider that he gets close too, loves people though hahaha.........we love him dearly though! He has bad hips and I could not put him through a flight, he is a family pet and I know he will be well taken care of, but this is great news just to know if anything did happen next year and the family had to come home in a hurry he could come.
Thanks for that jackie and barb.
The Dog Control Bill is coming in, I think you might be ok with the spider but not any of the others you mentioned. Great news for those that have a well behaved "banned breed".

Introduce Dog Control Notices

The vast majority of dog attacks are as a result of the irresponsible actions of dog owners, who have either not taken the time and trouble to train their dog correctly, or have indeed trained them to behave aggressively. Dog Control Notices will apply to all types of dog that have acted dangerously without provocation, caused an injury to another protected animal (as defined by the Animal Welfare Act 2006), caused harm, or caused a person to reasonably believe it will cause harm and works to prevent serious incidents of aggression occurring by allowing preventative action.

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/3147

My bold on the quote. No breeds or size of dog, are excluded.

You can google Dog Control Bill to find out more about this and various penalties for breaking this law. At worst, it is a criminal record for the owner and/or the dog seized and destroyed.

The bottom line is that if a dog is aggressive towards animals or people, then the dog will need to be muzzled and kept on a lead to avoid prosecution. The new law changes seems to make the person responsible, the person who has taken the dog out. On private property, it is the responsibilty of the owner.

Edited to say: for those that want to follow where this bill is at the moment; you can read it here
http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...controlhl.html

Last edited by formula; Jul 18th 2011 at 9:28 am.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

HI beedubya, how are things with you, the last time I looked you had got a good job and been to europe with your job You seemed to be enjoying it, are you still happy? Hope so, good luck Denise2
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Regarding the animals If I read it right I think its just for the UK and Europe not the US.

D & B it could be a Northern thing but you could always look. I seem to remember when we were down south I could not find it. You are missing a great taste Rodney.
trotty and fish you have certainly got my interest on this dandelion thing now I have to go on a mission to find it ---- and I will not give up till its in my hand, thanks fish I will try Asdas/Sainsburys/Tesco ---- cant believe I have missed out on this for all my life,
It says on that link that it has been made in Britain since 1265 WOW thats wayyyyyy before my time
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Has anyone heard from Easterndawn? I know she got a really good job, and things were going really well, would love to hear how she is, as it was her story that facinated us all at the start of MBTTUK. She is probably so busy now, if your lurking Peggie, please give us an update, regards Denise2
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Has anyone heard from Easterndawn? I know she got a really good job, and things were going really well, would love to hear how she is, as it was her story that facinated us all at the start of MBTTUK. She is probably so busy now, if your lurking Peggie, please give us an update, regards Denise2
Yes Easterndawn/Pegie ----- I second that from Denise2 ------ where are you? we all would love to hear from you and how your new Job is going ---- and especially how soon it will be before your Hubby and lovely dogs are with you to compleat the family, you are still a huge inspiration to me, and Im sure to so many on here,
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Easterndawn/Pegie ----- I second that from Denise2 ------ where are you? we all would love to hear from you and how your new Job is going ---- and especially how soon it will be before your Hubby and lovely dogs are with you to compleat the family, you are still a huge inspiration to me, and Im sure to so many on here,
Take care,
Rodney.
Has anyone heard from Windsong, I havent seen her around recently??
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Has anyone heard from Windsong, I havent seen her around recently??
Hi Idyinlv, yes I would love to hear from Windsong as well I see you are going back to Vegas, well you gave it your best shot and now you will probably settle much better knowing that is where you should be. Like you I will always have good and fond memories about Canada, but it did'nt work for me when I went back, now it is out of my system and I feel I needed to do
that for this to happen. All the best with your move back and at least you did'nt leave it to late to pick up the threads again, good luck Denise 2
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Hi Idyinlv, yes I would love to hear from Windsong as well I see you are going back to Vegas, well you gave it your best shot and now you will probably settle much better knowing that is where you should be. Like you I will always have good and fond memories about Canada, but it did'nt work for me when I went back, now it is out of my system and I feel I needed to do
that for this to happen. All the best with your move back and at least you did'nt leave it to late to pick up the threads again, good luck Denise 2
Thank you Denise,

I know I could be making a mistake, but I have realized that I wont be able to settle here, as long as my heart is tugging me back there. So I will start over again, something I am not unused to..and hope for the best..
Jackie
Old Jul 18th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
Thank you Denise,

I know I could be making a mistake, but I have realized that I wont be able to settle here, as long as my heart is tugging me back there. So I will start over again, something I am not unused to..and hope for the best..
Jackie
you know Jackie its where you feel you belong, and comfortable in your skin, so I think you will be fine, I love it when people are honest when things don't work out as it will happen to more people and I feel it is great when they share that experience with the rest of us, it lets others know its ok if it dos'nt work out and its not just them, its not for everyone, all the best for the future Denise2
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:11 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Sully
Hello to all my 'forum friends'. I haven't been online for a while for various reasons, mainly I just didn't think I would get the opportunity to return 'home'. We have been back for a couple of holidays in the past two years and prior to that we did regular trips. I was always 'homesick' when I left to fly back to Aust.

My husband retired recently and we began to look at our future plans. Our children and four little grandchildren all live near to us in Canberra. However, with the rise of the AUD against the GBP and a falling house market, the time seems better to return home than ever. This is the plan and the big decision: we have put an offer on a house in Norfolk and it has been accepted. We have discussed the move with our daughter (36) and her husband, they are supportive and feel the grandchildren (3,4) would enjoy the excitement of the visits. Our son (39) and his children (1,5) would not be too perturbed as the other grandparents spend quite a lot of time overseas.

We would rent our house out here for three - five years rather than sell and lose money if we wanted to return.

The dilemma is now that it all seems possible anxiety has set in regarding my daughter and her little family. Given my husband says he is doing this for me it now seems a huge responsibility. I never thought I would ever feel so torn, I know you have been through this Beedubya.

My husband has just had his 60th birthday and I will join this select club in a week so this also seems like a good time in our lives. We could rent in the UK but we feel this is a good opportunity (albeit, with some risk).

So now dear friends, I know some of you have been in this place, I would like to draw on your wisdom and experiences.

It was great to read your updates B and TT - you made it!

Finally, thank you to lovely Quoll who just seems to see things from my side of the prism, it's nice to be understood. That is the lovely thing about this forum just lots of advice without judgement.

I hope you all have something to look forward to this week.
Hello Mrs Sully, good to hear from you again. Congrats on having made a decision and moving with a plan....how exciting!

The para that particularly struck me is where you say:

I know exactly what you mean. For years I badgered my (US) DH about going to England. It just was never possible, with his work, children's school, etc. Finally a couple of years ago, he said he was ready--let's do it!! By then all our children were grown up and likely to stay in USA.

And so, while absolutely thrilled he was ready, I was also suddenly assailed with panic about leaving our children, and possible grandchildren, now it really seemed the dream could become reality! Yet said children supported the idea...

JacquelineS has written that this is her big worry, her children all live close by now, so a move back to UK would be a huge change in that regard. Ours on the other hand were not so close by, one of them was so far away in that big country USA that we only saw him a couple of times a year anyway.

It IS a dilemma--and I don't even have grandchildren yet! I'm sure that changes everything.

But in the end it is about where we feel happiest, where we belong.

At the mo we are in France as DH has a work assignment here. In 2/3 years that will be done. Then we hope to start spending lots more time in UK. We still have a dream of being able to live part of the year in UK and part in US but we don't know how this will work...

At this moment we are trying to plan how and when to next see the two out of three adult children who live in the States...(third child lives in France as well, tho not in same place, but we are able to see her more). Will we go there? Bring them here? And when???

A dilemma. But as I say we didn't see that much of them, alas, when still in USA because of geographical distance.

Good luck with it all, Mrs Sully! A you say, a good time in your lives. I would listen to Trotty's wisdom. If you don't try it, you will always wonder what it would have been like,and probably regret not having done it. And if you leave it til later, all sorts of things can intervene...

And of course Beedubya/Barb has as you say profound experience of this very problem. Tried England, missed family, went back to Oz, missed England unbearably, went back to England.....fair summing-up, Barb?

Tina
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:26 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

trotty and fish you have certainly got my interest on this dandelion thing now I have to go on a mission to find it ---- and I will not give up till its in my hand, thanks fish I will try Asdas/Sainsburys/Tesco ---- cant believe I have missed out on this for all my life,
It says on that link that it has been made in Britain since 1265 WOW thats wayyyyyy before my time
I used to get it in Sainsburys in Brighton so it is around down south, though you might have to search for it. Can't stand it myself but my ex used to love the stuff
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

No Fish never heard of any of this stuff, are you sure its not just a thing from up north of England?
Jesus! Rodney! Available all over UK Along with Tizer, Vimto, Corona, and of course,Fanta, and Irnbru. ( Pronounced IRON BREW.) Not forgeting Crabbies Ginger Ale. Regards Don

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.