Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by dgjamison
what part of S. Ireland?
Southern Ireland, Cornwall me hansom, Cornwall

the land of intrigue
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Thanks for your story--very interesting.

Especially when you say you knew deep in your heart you didn't want to go, but didn't want to crush DH's dream....happens to many people, I suspect (I hasten to add it may, sometimes, be the husband not wanting to crush the wife's dream...).

CORNWALL!! I love it so much.....how wonderful, and good luck!

Tina.
Tina everytime I return home, ride over the crest and see St. Michaels Mount, my fist goes into a salute and I yell "YES" thats when I cry, I know Im home !!

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Judes thanks for answering my question. What an interesting story!

It's obvious you will be happy back home - you are meant to be there, and everyone you love is there. No brainer!
Sally part of me died when I left my kids and grand kids, but I am so lucky, we have kept the closeness we always had , I think I would have died if I'd lost that
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:23 am
mrs sully

Mrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really niceMrs Sully is just really nice

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks Rosie,
I will go into boots and ask them about what dose of calcium and vitimin D that they recommend, and see if I can get them both in one tablet,
Rodney I also take Ostelin for vit D
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
as we are arriving and pretty much going straight to the new house I guess we do need some furniture, I told him to keep it minimal and to buy stuff we could easily resell ! sure hope he is lisitening !! the most important thing is we get home, but I do think we may have lost our minds a bit, we work right up until the Monday,( Sept 4th no less ) got 2 days to empty the house and hand keys to new owners and then straight to the airport ! craziness
You son can get free furniture for you if he goes on Freecycle for his local area. Then you can donate it to the same group when you no longer need it - no expense that way. I did that for a lot of the items I got when I first moved here - not for my bed thought, that is new.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:45 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

what part of S. Ireland?
It's me that is going to S Ireland in August, not Judes. Landing in Dublin, spending 8 days traveling around. Daughter in charge of itinerary, don't know where I'm going. Let you know when I get back. Looking forward to it though. I'm a bit worried about going from 99 deg F to 59 deg F - I might catch pneumonia.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Southern Ireland, Cornwall me hansom, Cornwall

the land of intrigue
oh I'm sorry,I thought you meant the south of Ireland, Cormwall is a beautiful part of the country, you are so lucky to be living in a georgous part of the UK, good luck and I wish you all the best in your new Life
Denise 2
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
It's me that is going to S Ireland in August, not Judes. Landing in Dublin, spending 8 days traveling around. Daughter in charge of itinerary, don't know where I'm going. Let you know when I get back. Looking forward to it though. I'm a bit worried about going from 99 deg F to 59 deg F - I might catch pneumonia.
Take your thermals, wellies, and waterproof coat I hope you have a lovely time, there is some beautiful scenery, and nice cosy pubs (a hot whiskey ( or 2 or 3) is lovely when your cold,.... goes right to the bones AAHHHH lovely. Please let us know how you find it Denise2
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mallory
I would love to visit Ireland, just be prepared for all weathers usually all in same day !!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

oh I'm sorry,I thought you meant the south of Ireland, Cormwall is a beautiful part of the country, you are so lucky to be living in a georgous part of the UK, good luck and I wish you all the best in your new Life
Denise 2
Yes, we are lucky, left my beloved Cornwall for USA around 12 years ago, cant weait to return, I cant wait to wealk by sea, especially in Winter when it's deserted
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

ooh mallory how awesome, one of my first trips is going to be back to Sligo, my hunting grounds when i was a teenager.... we had family there and used to go to Mullingar every summer as a child, spent 2 weeks there then on my other Aunt for 2 weeks in Sligo.... aw the memories.
My cousin has the home now and I have an open invite to go stay whenever I want.............haha I want now...

Judes Cornwall another beautiful place...
rosie thanks for the reminder about freecycle, I didn't know they had it in the UK!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:30 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
ooh mallory how awesome, one of my first trips is going to be back to Sligo, my hunting grounds when i was a teenager.... we had family there and used to go to Mullingar every summer as a child, spent 2 weeks there then on my other Aunt for 2 weeks in Sligo.... aw the memories.
My cousin has the home now and I have an open invite to go stay whenever I want.............haha I want now...

rosie thanks for the reminder about freecycle, I didn't know they had it in the UK!
My gfather (mum's dad) was from Ireland. I looked up the name, and it is common in Leinster, Tipperary, Roscommon and Wicklow. Don't have any info on him, but I'm sure I have lots of cousins running around there somewhere! I've never been to I before, so very much looking forward to it.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by charleygirl

My sisters and I went to Ballina in Sligo a couple of years ago, we rented a lovely 4 bedroom house in the grounds of a lovely old small castle that had once belonged to an old English family but is now a hotel, it was beautiful, the people in the West of Ireland I have to say are the friendliest I have ever come across, and realy genuine, whereas I find the people of Dublin Brash and unfriendly I think they are also rip of country, (although with the Celtic Tiger well and truely dead it maybe a bit better now) I hope so as I felt they got too big for their own boots so a little humble pie will not go amiss as far as I'm concerned. Sorry but for a few years they got arrogant, and treated their visitors very shabbily, I don't like that. The west of ireland is the true Ireland now, and I don't think they have been spoiled YET... I hope you have a lovely visit and you are greeted with the real Irish hospitality as we were once famous for. Denise2
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Mallory;9511645]My gfather (mum's dad) was from Ireland. I looked up the name, and it is common in Leinster, Tipperary, Roscommon and Wicklow. Don't have any info on him, but I'm sure I have lots of cousins running around there somewhere! I've never been to I before, so very much looking forward to it.[/QUO

Hope you have a lovely time, you know sometimes if you ask some of the old timers in the pubs (in the town your grandfather came from) you never know what information you might come away with. I find the old timers are a wealth of information, better than the tourist boards
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Really hot and nasty here. 100 degree's and that's not counting the humidity. I have not been on here for the past couple of days because I was not very well yesterday. I spent the day before up in the attic cleaning up the 50 mouse traps that had been put in there by the rodent chap. I should have done it sooner but forgot. I also had to clear up the mess from all the chipmunk droppings and all the acorns that were stored. I wish you could have seen my balancing on the cross beams trying to get to the mouse traps. It took me hours I had to keep coming down when I got overheated. I also had to tidy up the insulation that the chappy who put the attic stairs in just threw 'willy nilly all over the place. When I had finished I came down and took a shower but I was so drained.

I had to do it because we had the house inspection yesterday. It took him 3 house to complete the buyers came with the inspector. They looked at everything. We have not had the report yet. Our estate agent said it takes two days. It's the most nerve-wracking time. Sunday another buyer is coming to look at the place and the estate agent is bringing the Radon testers with him. They have to stay in place for 2 days. Then we have the septic system to be checked and the pest control people. This all has to be done before Thursday of next week. Have no dates yet for the last two tests. Then the bank sends an appraiser and decides if they will lend them the money. No wonder I feel ill. It's all getting too much for me.

An update on the QE 2 we had to send the deposit two days ago, my husband said it was not a good idea to do it yet as the house is not even sold yet and he said I had been to eager. We would lose the deposit if things fell through. So I called British Airways and asked their policy and they told me that they take good care of animals. My daughter looked them up and they are they only ones that have had no animal deaths recently.They keep the dogs in darkness the whole time and the area they are in is temperature controlled. I hope Gabby will be alright. This heat does not help.

So I am not at my best at the moment I feel like I am dangling on a string over the Grand Canyon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.