Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
I Googled Radon for you.

Radon Discovery

A German chemist Friedrich Dorn discovered radon-222 in 1900, and named it radium emanation. The United States medical experts did not became aware of a radon problem until 1984, when a nuclear plant employee in Pennsylvania discovered radioactivity on his clothing while exiting his work through radiation detectors. The source radiation was determined to be radon on his clothing originating from his home.

Radon in our Environment

Radon-222 is the decay product of radium-226. Radon-222 and its parent, radium-226, are part of the long decay chain for uranium-238. Since uranium is essentially everywhere in the earth's crust, radium-226 and radon-222 are present in almost all rock and all soil and water.

Cheers
WOW cheers ----- Hmmmm that was very enlightening, thank you
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Good luck today trotty!

Gosh this is hard, my daughter left for work today crying, after asking me not to leave, then I guess she sent her dad a text asking him if me and him could work things out... Oh dear I think I am very ill prepared...I have done nothing again so far today... just can not get motivated and I am feeling terrible.
I have finished work now so going to be home more which is probably harder for my kids to take, because they will think it is like old times, i was a stay home mum for 16 years.
say a little prayer for me my friends that I get through the next 4 weeks.
WOW charleygirl you are in a bit of a pickle arent you, Im sorry I know you did tell us your kids ages but I have forgotten?
I wish I could comfort you in some way with some words of wisdom but afraid its out of my depth, I have had no experience of what your going through, but I hope you get through it without too much heartache,
Why dont you tell your Daughter that nothing is written in stone, if it dont work out tell her you can always come back, it may make her feel better about it, ------ but she certainly sounds like she loves you a lot
Old Aug 1st 2011, 10:52 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I'm sorry this is so hard. Remember, you only have to do this if you really want to. And even then, you can always change your mind.

Charleygirl, I don't agree with SallySimmons very often ... but I certainly do with this one.

Trust your gut instinct. xxx
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

brummie61 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good luck today trotty!

Gosh this is hard, my daughter left for work today crying, after asking me not to leave, then I guess she sent her dad a text asking him if me and him could work things out... Oh dear I think I am very ill prepared...I have done nothing again so far today... just can not get motivated and I am feeling terrible.
I have finished work now so going to be home more which is probably harder for my kids to take, because they will think it is like old times, i was a stay home mum for 16 years.
It must be extremely difficult to leave your kids in the US. Hope things work out for you for the best ( I pray things work out for you!)
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck today trotty!

Hoping all works out Charley, as the others say, you've got the option to change your mind or go back to US in the future if that's what you want. I wish you all the best
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

Question for all of you have been there, done that got the tee shirt guys
Mobile phones, should we buy before we leave the USA or buy on our return to Uk ?
We leave 5 weeks Thursday , not that Im counting, and OH is desperate for a new toy, we of course havent bought anything for ages because we are limited what we can take back, so is a phone a good idea or not ?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
Question for all of you have been there, done that got the tee shirt guys
Mobile phones, should we buy before we leave the USA or buy on our return to Uk ?
We leave 5 weeks Thursday , not that Im counting, and OH is desperate for a new toy, we of course havent bought anything for ages because we are limited what we can take back, so is a phone a good idea or not ?
I would recommend you wait and get one when you get home, I brought mine back from Canada, and had to pay £20 to have it unblocked, you can buy cheap mobile phones from £10 upwards, so to me it wos'nt worth it, as you will need an travel plug as well. Hope that helps
Denise2
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dgjamison
I would recommend you wait and get one when you get home, I brought mine back from Canada, and had to pay £20 to have it unblocked, you can buy cheap mobile phones from £10 upwards, so to me it was'nt worth it, as you will need an travel plug as well. Hope that helps
Denise2
I agree sounds like you can get good cellphone deals in UK.
How much does it cost to buy Backberry in England?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brummie61
I agree sounds like you can get good cellphone deals in UK.
How much does it cost to buy Backberry in England?
I'm sorry can't help you there, as I only use a basic phone, There are always deals on thought, if you google Argos or Tesco, and go to phones you will get a good idea, hope all goes well with your journey home
Denise2
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:10 pm
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

thanks Denise and Brummie
Argos and Tesco, never thought of looking there, was thinking more like the BT companys etc. but been gone 13 years so a tad out of touch !! That's my mission then for today, check out argos and teco
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:30 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by judes
thanks Denise and Brummie
Argos and Tesco, never thought of looking there, was thinking more like the BT companys etc. but been gone 13 years so a tad out of touch !! That's my mission then for today, check out argos and teco
I bought mine from Asda for £10, very basic as Denise says with the right plug, it does me!!
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I bought mine from Asda for £10, very basic as Denise says with the right plug, it does me!!
love how you can wonder something, ask on here and in seconds almost, get an answer

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
We still on the subject of cell phones here?
Old Aug 2nd 2011, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brummie61

We still on the subject of cell phones here?
I meant any thought I have, anything that pops into my head, my immediate thought is " ask on BE" and you guys never let me down,
sorry, did I confuse

Old Aug 2nd 2011, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

CarolPat is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody suggested I join this forum because I'm definitely over 50! I've lived in the US for 33 years and am in the process of moving back to the UK with my two cats - mostly to be closer to my 92 year-old mother but also because it just feels like it's time for a change. I've found this site so helpful with information and shared experiences. Although I've gone back to the UK at least once a year since I came here, it always felt like a holiday and I didn't have to deal with the realities of living in the UK. I expect I'll feel like Rip Van Winkle, especially in terms of British culture. I don't have a clue who any of the celebs and many of the politicians are any more! Not to mention current slang. In the back of my mind I know I can always come back to the US but I hope I'll love it there, especially now I'm retired and can take full advantage of bus passes, concessions, etc. We'll see ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.