Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Oh yes fish you and Mrs Fish have to make it over, cause the reunion would not be the same without you, and the second round of drinks will be on me
Thanks Rodney, I wont forget and I know you wont either.

Thats two drinks promised and I havent even made it back yet...
Old Jul 30th 2011, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hi Mummy, yes I owe Art a lot, before I left Vegas you probably remember that I gave him my 52 inch flat screen TV, and almost new floor speakers and a receiver to go with them too, plus a 27 inch TV VCR combo for his bedroom, and a lot of other stuff that he liked from my apartment, I gave him first pick on everything for free, and then the rest that he didn't want like furniture & stuff I either sold or gave to salvation army, ---- but all these are just material things, it made me very happy though that they went to my friend, but I owe him so much more then just stuff that he liked,

firstly he gave me 10 whole years of friendship which was second to none,
secondly without him taking over and organising everything so well for me and pushing me every day to get it all done so I could leave, I dont know what I would have done cause I was a total wreck at the time,
Thats awesome Rodney, I bet he loves your Tvs and thinks about you when he watches them...
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

I think I will tell you the good news first. My day was going great. We found a wonderful cottage on the Ocean front. Beautiful. We were going to rent it for 6 months. Beautiful sunrise and sunsets. Walk out onto the beach. To good to be true dont you think. Well you think right. When we got home our estate agent came over with the results of some of the tests.
:curse::curse:
I just cannot believe it The water test and radon test came back and they both failed. The water test is not a big deal but the water radon test is. Each state has a Radon guideline, they are all different. NH has one of the lowest levels a 2. MA is 10 CT is 5 and MI is 6. So because if failed the buyer can decide not to go ahead with the contract and he loses nothing or he can force us to pay for it to be fixed which my husband does not want to do. They got the news today and we are waiting to hear from them the Radon test for the house will not be back till Monday. I just feel like someone has punched me in the stomach.

The best laid plans of mice and men.

Guess what I am going to do tonight:
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I think I will tell you the good news first. My day was going great. We found a wonderful cottage on the Ocean front. Beautiful. We were going to rent it for 6 months. Beautiful sunrise and sunsets. Walk out onto the beach. To good to be true dont you think. Well you think right. When we got home our estate agent came over with the results of some of the tests.
I just cannot believe it The water test and radon test came back and they both failed. The water test is not a big deal but the water radon test is. Each state has a Radon guideline, they are all different. NH has one of the lowest levels a 2. MA is 10 CT is 5 and MI is 6. So because if failed the buyer can decide not to go ahead with the contract and he loses nothing or he can force us to pay for it to be fixed which my husband does not want to do. They got the news today and we are waiting to hear from them the Radon test for the house will not be back till Monday. I just feel like someone has punched me in the stomach.

OMG trotty you certainly do not need this in your life right now, this is terrible, I am absolutely flabagasted, ----- you definitely are due a break, a big one, I feel for you so much and I just dont know what to say to make you feel a little better, I think if I was in your position now nobody no matter what they said could make me feel better,
I am so so very sorry, this is terrible.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:14 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I must admit it would be fascinating to meet all of my Forum friends...

I will have a lager shandy as chances are I will be driving, Mrs Fish Loves wine...
I want to come too.
I don't drink so I can ferry you all back to the hotels. If we meet in the middle we'll all be somewhere near Don and Tim's place.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:16 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

So because if failed the buyer can decide not to go ahead with the contract and he loses nothing or he can force us to pay for it to be fixed which my husband does not want to do.
He really needs to think this through. You have waited years to find a buyer. You could wait years to find another and the radon problem would still be there. Is he really saying he wants to stay in that house forever rather than pay to fix the problem?

We have a similar issue in that we have asbestos lining some pipes. We could get all stubborn about it, but what's the point? If it stops a sale, we will lose far more than the cost of having it removed.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:17 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

How do they fix radon, I thought it was naturally occurring?
Is it just the basement that they had to test? Or did they test through out your whole house?
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Trotty...Apart from the nuisance of it all, why wouldn't your husband want to fix the problem? If the sale falls through you would have to fix it anyway, for the sake of your own health, so why not fix it to make sure the sale does go through, or, reduce the price so the new owners can deal with it. You have worked too hard and dreamed too long to fall at this hurdle. My heart and best wishes go out to you. Elizabeth
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have two hurdles to get over. 1 the new owners they may not be convinced that they should buy the place even with the problems solved. 2. My husband he can be stubborn but I did have that arguement with him tonight. I dont know if I got through to him I told him if this sale falls through we will have to fix the problems for the next buyer. He seemed to think someone might not care. I am looking for the tests he had done when we bought the place to see what they showed.I was not here at the time.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 6:45 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Well I have two hurdles to get over. 1 the new owners they may not be convinced that they should buy the place even with the problems solved. 2. My husband he can be stubborn but I did have that arguement with him tonight. I dont know if I got through to him I told him if this sale falls through we will have to fix the problems for the next buyer. He seemed to think someone might not care. I am looking for the tests he had done when we bought the place to see what they showed.I was not here at the time.
TT I am so very sad and sorry about this turn of events. To be honest I don't even know what radon is, so am off for a google.

If it's something that affects your health, then it has to be fixed if not for any future buyers but for you and your husband.....
Old Jul 31st 2011, 8:44 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Beedubya
TT I am so very sad and sorry about this turn of events. To be honest I don't even know what radon is, so am off for a google.

If it's something that affects your health, then it has to be fixed if not for any future buyers but for you and your husband.....
Absolutely.

Also it may be the case that no prospective purchaser will be able to obtain a mortgage if the house has radon levels deemed to be too high?

Poor Trottytrue. Sending you some big (((((hugs)))))
Old Jul 31st 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty, dam! But you know I reckon he doesnt want to pay cos he doesnt want to move to UK, I would be so sad, mad and frustrated with him right now. You gave up so much for all these years, surely he can see what this is doing to you.
I am afraid if it were me, I would go ahead and just pay it, I mean me and my hubby have joint bank account and "whats his is mine and whats mine is me own"

Gosh dont know what to say really, I hope you dont lose this buyer, I know you will be crushed.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

I've never before heard of houses being tested for radon levels. My house agent also knows nothing about it, though she did ask if there was any asbestos in the construction of the sun-room.
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond reputedgjamison has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty, I have read your news and am so so sorry to hear this awful news. How awful for you I have never heard of this test before and I know when we sold our house in Toronto all those years ago, we had nothing like that, don't know about now. I agree with the others, I know its hard to stomach, but you will probably have to get it fixed anyway, so why lose the sale, I will keep my fingers crossed all turns out well for you as I know what you have been through all this time. My best wishes are with you for the future Rodney I have sent you a PM with my email and phone number so please keep in touch, Charleygirl have pm'd you as well, thinking of you and wishing you the best, that you get through this terrible heartache, but please keep in mind if things become unbearable you can always go back so just keep that in mind, and things may not seem just so bad I really hope we will all meet up someday, we can always get a good weekend deal at a nice hotel, and enjoy getting to meet and know each other, I would just love that. I would also love to hear how Easterndawn is doing, and Windsong as well, and Jackie? Wonder hows shes settling in? Would love to know. Bedubbya hope all is well with you as well, hope I havent forgotten anyone, all the best Denise2
Old Jul 31st 2011, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

To be honest the only one I can focus my anger on at the moment is my OH. He will come around to getting the problems fixed but I am more angry at the willy nilly way this radon problem is treated. Some States dont bother at all with tests even in NH you dont have to have the tests done. The scientific proof is not all in. In other words some groups think its a problem others dont. Those States that do have tests like I said before all have different numbers. So we live on the border to MA they have a guideline of 10 but NH has a guideline of 2. But here in NH those companies that sell the remedies for Radon pushed hard to get the lower number so they do a thriving business. The EPA does not as yet have a number so its up to each State to do its own thing.

I am going out with my daughter this afternoon just to get away from the problem. I think the waiting is the worst. Monday cannot come to soon.Good or bad.

Thankyou for all your thoughts. Just keep your fingers crossed that the buyer wants the house so badly that they may overlook the radon or perhaps offer to go half with the remedy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.