Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yesterday it was lovely, sun shining and blue skys as far as the eye could see,
and also the same today, about 70 odd degeas, and people in the streets are walking around in shirt sleeves here.
Rodney, do you feel in general that the skies in the UK are much clearer than in the USA? I remember growing up I could see the stars in the sky so clearly in the UK - not in midwest USA, though.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:18 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Snow here again last night, although thankfully not enough that we have to dig the driveway.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:32 am
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

"The Bouquet residence. The Lady of the House speaking. No, you cannot have a #41 with noodles instead of rice. Do I sound like the Green Lotus? What do you mean, 'Sounds more like the green dragon'? Look, I must warn you. You are speaking to a white slimline telephone within the precincts of a clergyman. And a very merry Chinese New Year to you, too."

Old Mar 24th 2011, 11:40 am
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Aahhh ! Bournemouth My home town and I used to live just 10 minutes from the cliffs, prom and beach too. Lovely !
What a small world.

How long is it since you have visited here?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Last week I went to the UK for four days, it was the first time I've been there for years. It was Super, absolutely wonderful, people were nice, the shops were great and I loved every second, however, the sky was permanently grey and I don't know that I would have fit back into society after having been absent for the last 25 years.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 4:16 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chriswinter
Mummy, you peeked my interest, so I had a look at Plymouth via the Plymouth website and YouTube....what a lovely and historically interesting place! Duh on me ...had completely forgotten about Plymouth and the Pilgrims. I noticed you LOL'd after mentioning Plymouth, so am not sure if is an inside British joke or not??? I've only ever been to Croydon (and there abouts), London and Brighton, so not at all acquainted with other parts of England. I really enjoyed the pictures I found, the videos I watched and has now been entered into my Favorites. Is it a somewhat temperate climate there? I'm thinking that might be a place I just might want to visit next year. Thanks for the heads-up!
It was my mistake, It was supposed to be Portsmouth Where Rodney is, he had nice weather yesterday. Now I'll have to go and look at Plymouth too, it could be the next Frome for expats LOL.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers

Last week I went to the UK for four days, it was the first time I've been there for years. It was Super, absolutely wonderful, people were nice, the shops were great and I loved every second, however, the sky was permanently grey and I don't know that I would have fit back into society after having been absent for the last 25 years.
You would fit right back in with no problem at all ----- if you wanted to.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It was my mistake, It was supposed to be Portsmouth Where Rodney is, he had nice weather yesterday. Now I'll have to go and look at Plymouth too, it could be the next Frome for expats LOL.
Is OK Mummy...your oops has sent me on a cyber-vacation in Plymouth!
The weather here is COLD! I am more of a cold-weather person than a hot-weather one...but still..enough is enough already!
Was scouting around on Rightmove..some lovely places to rent..but think I am correct in thinking is a little cheaper than around the Croydon area. My ex-sil (separated for years now),(we're still friends) lives in the Croydon area and her ex-hubby, one of my younger brothers, lives in Shirley. My bro is American born, my mom took all the younger kids back to England after their father died (my step-father), back in 1965. He is the only one out of the 6 of us..that chose to remain in England. And to listen to him today (61 years of age), you would never know that he had ever had a foot planted here in Illinois! A part of him still believes that everything is soooo much better here in America. Personally, I think he's a lot better off at his age in England, than I am (at 64) in the states. But O! well..it ain't over til the fat lady sings..and this fat lady, ain't singing yet!! Not the least to mention, I couldn't carry a tune to save my soul..
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Clearing out my old files and photos has been bringing back so many memories and making me consider so many things.

I came across letters from my first real boyfriend and decided to see if I could find him now. It wasn't hard - he's still in the same village! Once upon a time I would have looked down on that - and it's actually the reason we split up. I wanted to be off experiencing new things and he was a real homebody with very little desire to explore the world.

Now I find myself envying him. I know that when he walks down the street, most people will nod and say 'hi', or stop to talk. Anytime he goes into the pub, he will be welcomed by people who know his history. He'll share long-standing jokes and when he loses a family member, people will grieve with him. His whole family lives nearby and their lives are woven into the fabric of that little village.

I pulled the thread and freed myself, and as a result I saw and did things he will never do. But I bet he doesn't envy me the way I envy him. I used to think I had life all figured out. Now all these years later, I think he was the one who had it all worked out.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:48 pm
I can't Re-Member

HighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond reputeHighSpeedGrandma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Clearing out my old files and photos has been bringing back so many memories and making me consider so many things.

I came across letters from my first real boyfriend and decided to see if I could find him now. It wasn't hard - he's still in the same village! Once upon a time I would have looked down on that - and it's actually the reason we split up. I wanted to be off experiencing new things and he was a real homebody with very little desire to explore the world.

Now I find myself envying him. I know that when he walks down the street, most people will nod and say 'hi', or stop to talk. Anytime he goes into the pub, he will be welcomed by people who know his history. He'll share long-standing jokes and when he loses a family member, people will grieve with him. His whole family lives nearby and their lives are woven into the fabric of that little village.

I pulled the thread and freed myself, and as a result I saw and did things he will never do. But I bet he doesn't envy me the way I envy him. I used to think I had life all figured out. Now all these years later, I think he was the one who had it all worked out.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Yes, I have felt that way. But at the end of the day it's all a balance. We did what we did because it felt right at the time, or in my case, I did it because hubby got a job in the US and I had to go.

At the time I was very happy to be getting away for a couple of years (which turned into over 20 mostly alone). Now I wonder at what I may have achieved if I had stayed in the UK. I would have a life built and a job and maybe no mortgage. But I don't.

Try not to wonder about what might have been or envy your ex the fact that he has all that he has, ie a settled life here in the UK. I don't think he necessarily had it all worked out.
I am sure there may have been times when he envied you.

Just be assured, you are not the only one who feels or has felt the way you feel.

Hugs

Last edited by HighSpeedGrandma; Mar 24th 2011 at 5:51 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Rodney, do you feel in general that the skies in the UK are much clearer than in the USA? I remember growing up I could see the stars in the sky so clearly in the UK - not in midwest USA, though.
Well I can only really compare it to Southern Nevada, and the night skies were always clear there and you could just about always see the stars shining brightly all over, ---- last night I was sitting outside in the back garden at my Mums house here in Portsmouth it was such a lovely evening, just relaxing and thinking about my Sister, When I looked up at the sky the sky was so clear, and the stars were so bright it reminded me of the Las Vegas sky,

Can I take this opportunity to thank each and every one of you for your sentiments on the passing of Barbara my Sister,
You are all a terrific lot of people, and I feel happy that I know you all, thanks trotty for the poem --- it was lovely.
Take care,
Rodney.
Old Mar 24th 2011, 7:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond reputeLorac05 has a reputation beyond repute

Well my flight is two days away - just two more sleeps and I'll be on my way

The proceeds of my house sale have gone through and I have scanned every tax form from my first year here in 1989 into my computer and backed it up on an external hard drive along with lots of other stuff so I am ready to go. My 3 bags are packed to within 3 lbs of their limits and my ticket is printed.

I usually fly direct from Newark to Birmingham via Continental but the Delta flight via Amsterdam was actually 250 cheaper and as my excess bags will cost that so I am - for the first time - doing a connecting flight It actually works out for my Dad as the hour springs forwards this weekend in the UK and the Continental flight gets in at 7am - whereas the Delta flight gets in a 10:30am - so my Dad can get a decent nights sleep before picking me up.

All I need now is the exchange rate to get down a little so I can transfer my money - then I can start the next phase of my life and I am so looking forwards to that.

Not long now
Old Mar 24th 2011, 10:14 pm
I can't Re-Member

Originally Posted by cheers

This week the weather has been fantastic. I have been back two weeks and it has only rained once and that wasn't for too long.

I am 'fitting back' and I was away for 21 years. I am sure you would fit back into society.

One odd thing I have noticed, or maybe just never noticed or appreciated before, is how clear the sky is. That might have something to do with me being in Hong Kong for seven months where there was always a haze in the sky. But here it is so sharp and clear. I don't remember it being like that when I lived here years ago. I am sure it was, but I don't remember.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123...Hope all is going well for you and your mum

Windsong......The stars in New Hampshire are the brightest when its not snowing

Sallysimmons....Yes I feel exactly the same way some days it worse than others but as HSG said we have to also think of those things we have gained from being away. Not sure I always think that way but I know I do think of the big world out there unlike many people both at home and here in the US. I think thats what travel does for you. There are so many roads I could have walked but in the end I choose this one so I have to get on with it and take the good with the bad. I am sure some days that young man of yours wishes he might have done things very differently.

Cheers....You would fit right back in once you had settled and go into a routine it would all come back to you.
Old Mar 25th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
You would fit right back in with no problem at all ----- if you wanted to.
I totally agree, Rodney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.