Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Apr 21st 2011, 5:50 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by cheers
Barbara,
I really enjoyed reading your update.
As you say renting is a lot more simpler in the US also. You got the money, you can have the flat. Supply and demand.

You use to be able to find lodgings in the UK but maybe it has changed.

We are a little beyond the house sharing and especially the bathroom and kitchen part. Since I'm retired I wouldn't want hang around the living room of someones house, so thats definitely out.

Aren't we good staying on the subject

Well I've got to get ready to go to Costco with Dw to get a small ham for Easter.

Happy Easter everybody and if you aren't in Britain now may you be there next year!

Cheers
Thanks Cheers, Happy Easter to you and yours too.

Update 2, still on topic

JOBS
I didn't get the second job I went for on Monday as he said I was worth more money than they were paying and were unable to budget for more??????

HOUSING

1) Studio (thats what they call bedsits now ) in Wilmslow was very nice and it is my number one choice.

2) Studio two in Chorlton cum Hardy was shocking, the estate agent phoned and asked for my feedback, I said "It was a bloody dump!"

3) Flat (that means separate bedroom) in Sale was in an amazing Victorian house, you could almost see the ghost of Lady Marjorie and Hudson the butler. However the proportions of the rooms were very weird, the bedroom was MASSIVE and bright and sunny, yet the living area was small and dark and the kitchen was so tiny Gawd knows how they were going to fit a fridge and washing machine in, and as for the bathroom well you wouldn't want to put any weight on!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30999092.html

I have another flat to look at in Wilmslow on Saturday morning, so hopefully nobody has put an offer in on this one or on my choice from above.

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 21st 2011 at 5:53 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I lived in Hull (and met my husband there actually). I'm not sure I'd recommend it. It gets a bad rap so I feel bad for saying negative things because it does have a lot going for it, but there is a much higher crime rate there than in most of the UK. I was burgled and had my handbag snatched when I lived in Hull and I've never been the victim of crime anywhere else in the UK.

But, I would recommend looking at the East Riding in general - Beverley is very nice. Also Malton and Pickering, and north north Yorkshire (towns like Yarm).

I also think Lincolnshire is a real bargain. It's a bit flat for me but if they had hills, I'd definitely be looking there.
Lincolnshire is lovely right now, lush and green, and the country side just looks wonderful. Spring lambs everywhere..
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for taking the time to update us Bee. It is coming together.... perhaps slower than you would like... bu there's progress.

I tried to quote your message but was disallowed for too many uses of smilies! That's a first.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buckkeys
I am a 'newbie' but Yes this is a really good post. Keep up the good work.
Welcome BuckKeys. Like you, I read all the old posts when I first joined this thread. Took me 3 days! If you want to share your story, we're all ears.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
Well, I'm now in the throes of preparing my house for sale, but the thought of returning to England (I came to Australia 51 years ago), and beginning a new life at the age of 73 by myself, has me full of anxiety.

I don't even know where I will live in England, for although I had wanted to live in my home town of Torquay, it isn't practical if I wish to visit other family members.

I've been back many times, but to live there permanently with colder and wetter weather than South Australia, is something I'm not sure about.

Nevertheless I've been here long enough, and perhaps in July, Heathrow will see me arrive with just a wheelie case and a cabin bag, and I shall be wondering if I've done the right thing.

Good for you Aries! Always nice to meet a fellow Aries, and remember Aries are known for their willingness to pioneer into new territory, make a fresh start at any age!
I have been away for 41 years and, like you, am just prepping my house to sell. Where are your family members? Over on the Location, location, location thread we are exploring different locations in the UK if you want to jolin in there too.
A big warm welcome to you.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

I do find the rental situation in the UK a little mind-boggling. Here there is very little reference checking let alone credit checking. One month's rent and the legal limit of 1/2 month damage deposit is all that is required. The Residential Tenancy Act is overwhelmingly in favour of the tenant, and you are not allowed to ask any politically incorrect questions, which is why many people here are hesitant to rent.

I also do not really understand why renting is a better option than buying, especially for a long-term solution. A rental payment is often equivalent to a mortgage payment and you are building no equity. In addition, rental payments are going to increase over time, perhaps annually, where mortgage payments stay roughly the same, depending on term and conditions. Even with interest rate hikes, I still feel it is a better option FOR SOME.
In the short term there may be rough patches but over the long term property prices increase. I have been trying to see if renting is an option for me but I simply can't wrap my head around it.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Have a wonderful Easter everyone..
Jackie

Last edited by iaink; Apr 21st 2011 at 7:29 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

ConfusedEnglishRose...

Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I do find the rental situation in the UK a little mind-boggling. Here there is very little reference checking let alone credit checking. One month's rent and the legal limit of 1/2 month damage deposit is all that is required. The Residential Tenancy Act is overwhelmingly in favour of the tenant, and you are not allowed to ask any politically incorrect questions, which is why many people here are hesitant to rent.

I also do not really understand why renting is a better option than buying, especially for a long-term solution. A rental payment is often equivalent to a mortgage payment and you are building no equity. In addition, rental payments are going to increase over time, perhaps annually, where mortgage payments stay roughly the same, depending on term and conditions. Even with interest rate hikes, I still feel it is a better option FOR SOME.
In the short term there may be rough patches but over the long term property prices increase. I have been trying to see if renting is an option for me but I simply can't wrap my head around it.
If you take a house that is worth 200,000 pounds and you have the option of renting it or buying it (no deposit), these are the scenarios which could be considered pretty typical:

The landlord wants 700 pounds per month 8,400 per annum

You buy it and the mortgage costs say 4%* 8,000
Insurance 400
Maintenance 600
Plus the legal costs etc. of buying/selling
Plus downside risk

*If you have a fixed rate mortgage for several years you have to pay a fee of around 1% of the mortgage to get it (2,000 extra)

In this example you are in the hole in early years and maintenance can be much much more than I have shown here.

The only thing that makes sense of buying in the long run is capital appreciation, unless you are looking to otherwise rent in a (relatively) high rent area such as in commuter country. The further you move from London, typically, the better it is to rent and the worse the %age return for a landlord.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 21st 2011 at 7:42 pm.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:05 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We will rent for a little while until we get settled, but the problem for me with long-term renting is nothing to do with money and everything to do with the lack of security and the inability to make your home your own.

What happens when you've lived in the house for a few years and you love it and then the landlord decides he wants to sell up? The idea of being forced to move is horrible. And I'd hate to never be able to knock down a wall, or change the flooring, or dig a new flower bed just because the house doesn't belong to me.

In other news, we're definitely going home!! We've had some long chats the last few days and we're shooting for putting the house up for sale in late summer/Fall next year, and moving the following Spring, whether or not it has sold. The plan is dependent on us being able to save up enough money by then to have a bit of a cushion. If we don't have it, we'll push the move back one year.

But I am going home!! Time to get planning
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure who asked but when we sell if we ever do we will have to stay a further 6 months to get the dog all set for the UK. She has to have that bloodwork done and then wait the 6months a get through all the "defra' paperwork.

House showing nothing happened. Have not heard a peep from them. It gets very disheartening. But you keep on going. There are so many houses for sale they just look for the one thats willing to give it away. I am always exhausted after cleaning for 2days and then setting the house up with flowers and putting out all the 'show towels' in the bathrooms and taking all the dogs stuff out. Off course then you have to return and put everything back where it was and put all the linens away for the next time.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Not sure who asked but when we sell if we ever do we will have to stay a further 6 months to get the dog all set for the UK. She has to have that bloodwork done and then wait the 6months a get through all the "defra' paperwork.

House showing nothing happened. Have not heard a peep from them. It gets very disheartening. But you keep on going. There are so many houses for sale they just look for the one thats willing to give it away. I am always exhausted after cleaning for 2days and then setting the house up with flowers and putting out all the 'show towels' in the bathrooms and taking all the dogs stuff out. Off course then you have to return and put everything back where it was and put all the linens away for the next time.
That has to be very frustrating.
No idea how we'll get it done here, with a teen and a little ones mess in their rooms, I clean but it always looks the same
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue

It was me, Trotty. Well, look at this way, if the house sells, six months is not long to wait because you will finally be on your way. It will sell eventually. It really will.
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:35 pm

confusedenglishrose is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandrui
ConfusedEnglishRose...

? Why the thumbs down?
Old Apr 21st 2011, 10:40 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Trotty it must be so depressing. Hang in there and someone will come along who just loves the house and the location.

I'm wondering what we should spend money on here before we try to sell. There is so much that could use improving and we simply don't have the money to do it all. One of the bathrooms is ancient (and turquoise!!) which hasn't mattered to us because it's only for guests but would matter to a family buying the house. The kitchen cabinets really need upgrading. Some of the rooms need decorating. The hardwood floors throughout the house could really do with refinishing. And some of the old sash windows don't close properly. I reckon you could easily sink $150K+ into this house, but I don't have anything like that to spend.

I'd love to know what you guys think. We can probably do one of the following:

- replace all the kitchen cabinets and countertops with IKEA stuff, or
- pull out the old-fashioned 2nd bathroom and replace it with a modern one, or
- have all the rooms painted, hardwood floors refinished and broken windows fixed.

If it was your choice, which would you do? I'm leaning towards the third just because I think the hardwood floors could be a real selling point if they're refreshed and because it feels as though I'll get more bang for my buck by doing that, but I'd love advice or opinions.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 21st 2011 at 10:42 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.