Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Jackie, Anything new on getting your insurance for the car?

For me and F & Chips, what kind of a car did you get?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks, Rodney. Yes, it is a nightmare that no one should live. There really is crookedness, deception, greed and theft in the USA, and there is no such thing as justice here. There's also no protection from the government. It's all smoke and mirrors.
This maybe an item for the CBS television show "60 Minutes". There is nothing like those TV cameras showing at their door.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
This maybe an item for the CBS television show "60 Minutes". There is nothing like those TV cameras showing at their door.
My thoughts exactly. Sometimes it is amazing what going to the media can do.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Talking of council housing............

My sister is a council housing officer and yesterday she brought home their newsletter.............I was gobsmacked at 2 articles in there.

ASSISTED FURNITURE SCHEME

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!! (Strict criteria applies)

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!! Just follow the eight "do's" and the money is yours!!!

I kid you not!!!
Lets see now. Does this attract all the poor from all of the eastern EEC and provide cheap labor for successful businesses and small business and the tax payer has to end up subsidizing those businesses through taxes so they can make a substantial profit?

As the local councils have to cut back and terminate workers to cut costs, hasn't anyone thought of changing this program instead so as to save
money and avoid layoffs?

Am I being wound up or is this a Daily Mail sensationalism thing? Guess not since it is straight from the horses mouth.

On the other hand isn't it nice that the city would do such a nice thing? Now about nice government programs for returning Ex pats????
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boodles
Hey Rosie, Have a great moving day...don't forget to throw a loaf of bread into the flat before you set foot in it, that will ensure prosperity will follow and you will never want for anything. Elizabeth
Did not know about the bread - will do! Sounds good to me!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
I had to take myself off champix drug --- too many allergies, didn't smoke for 2 months, now a week ago I started smoking 2 cigs per day, so still almost quit but unfortunately the two cigs give me pleasure at certain times of day.
My Sister is slipping away, her Son who is in his 40's is living with her and he is her carer,
YES I do wish I lived nearer then 200 miles away, but I do get up there quite often to see her with my Mum.
My hubby sadly found out today that his son (from previous marriage) is in a hospice in Scotland. I have been frentically searching for best travel - we are going up from here (Southampton) on friday.

Rodney can you please give me (us) advice? I hear what you say abt visiting your sister quite often - can you tell me what you say tpo your sister and how often do you see her?

My husband is so very upset and the news is just like a jolt to the heart for the both of us but especially for him.

Rodney, I was thinking from your previous posts that you may be able to give an insight (knowing you going thro this with your Sis) so as to aid me to assist my husband? He is crying a lot - can you tell me Rodney how I should prepare myself/my hubby for this at the weekend?

I know it is a big and stupid ask cos I know everyone reacts differently but the thing is we both crying a lot and that is not good - if you or anyone else can give advice/experiences then thank you so very much in advance.

Thank you all xXxXx
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:20 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Talking of council housing............My sister is a council housing officer and yesterday she brought home their newsletter.............I was gobsmacked at 2 articles in there.

ASSISTED FURNITURE SCHEME

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!! (Strict criteria applies)

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!! Just follow the eight "do's" and the money is yours!!!

I kid you not!!!

Tony's son and daughter-in-law and their 2 sons were living in council housing in Plymouth. The council decided to tear down their flats and rebuild new ones. Because they (and the other families on the estate) were being "displaced", the council found them another flat (not too far away) and also gave them somewhere between £6,000-£7,000 in order to kit it out (i.e., carpets, etc.) They bought new furniture, a huge television, and god only knows what else. And this is just one family of I don't know how many others from that one estate. I'm sure this type of thing happens regularly around the country.

Another son was a publican (he, his wife, and young baby lived above the pub) who lost his job which made them 'homeless' in the eyes of the government. and because they have a child they were top-priority 'homeless'. The local council temporarily housed them in a family hostel type place until they could find them accommodation. They are now living in a lovely flat in a very well-to-do area. The rent is £1,200 per month and the government pays it! Plus, they furnished the flat under the Assisted Furniture Scheme Barb mentioned above and I have to tell you, they got some lovely, vintage furniture ... 2 sofas, a really pretty wood dining table with 4 chairs, a coffee table, end tables, bed, 2 bedside tables, and desk for something like £200.

You may think this is a lovely, nice thing for the British government to do - and I suppose it is - but SOMEBODY'S paying for all this niceness. And it isn't them!

And before you have a go at them personally, you can multiply the above 2 scenarios by the thousands. Free housing, money for furniture, money for leaving your flat clean, money for having babies, money for being unemployed, money for being "addicted" or because you're an alcoholic or have a mental disorder, etc. etc. etc. The benefits system here is totally out of control.

Something is wrong when 2 hard-working people like me and my husband cannot (yet) find a place to live because we can't afford the rents, but we hear story after story about the unemployed (unemployed for a variety of different reasons, not just job loss) living off benefits who are handed free housing on a silver platter.

End of rant. Thank you for listening.

Last edited by DDL; Mar 10th 2011 at 9:24 pm.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:22 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets see now. Does this attract all the poor from all of the eastern EEC.....
Some, Cheers, but the majority are home-growns - your own people.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I would just change that to "Shame, Wisconsin Republicans, shame" since the Senate Democrats have done everything they could to stop this, including leaving their families and forgoing their salaries to stay out of state.

I can't remember if I posted this before, but the richest 400 people in America now own more of the country's wealth than the bottom half (155 million) of us combined!

In my opinion, what happened in Wisconsin is closely linked to what happened to Windsong. In both cases, the rich and powerful grabbed something from the average person and made that wealth disparity just a little bit bigger. I'm genuinely ashamed that both happened in this country, but until people wake up, turn off Fox News, learn about where politicians stand, and vote in their own financial interests, this stuff will keep happening.
I totally agree, Sally. Seeing 75% or more of the population with blinders on made me lose all hope that things may change any time soon.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
So sorry to hear your sad news - that is an awful situation to have lived through. Good news about your grandchild, and the company of your daughter. Life can only get better - you have been to the depths of despair and survived. Welcome to BE.

In answer to your question about leaving children/grandchildren behind - each of us has our own experiences, and I can only speak for myself. It WAS hard leaving my son behind in - of all places - Wisconsin - see my former post earlier today - but he is a young man and has his own life to lead. I stayed for 25 years for family obligations, now this is my time. Sounds selfish? Yes it is, and no it isn't. Life is a circular system, and I am on the way round again - this time on the up cycle. Other people will have a different opinion to mine - they will have to give you their own answers. Rosie
That's not in any way selfish. It is YOUR turn now. Your son has his whole life ahead of him and is free to make his own choices about where he lives - and he just might end up in the UK some time. You never know.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
Tony's son and daughter-in-law and their 2 sons were living in council housing in Plymouth. The council decided to tear down their flats and rebuild new ones. Because they (and the other families on the estate) were being "displaced", the council found them another flat (not too far away) and also gave them somewhere between £6,000-£7,000 in order to kit it out (i.e., carpets, etc.) They bought new furniture, a huge television, and god only knows what else. And this is just one family of I don't know how many others from that one estate. I'm sure this type of thing happens regularly around the country.

Another son was a publican (he, his wife, and young baby lived above the pub) who lost his job which made them 'homeless' in the eyes of the government. and because they have a child they were top-priority 'homeless'. The local council temporarily housed them in a family hostel type place until they could find them accommodation. They are now living in a lovely flat in a very well-to-do area. The rent is £1,200 per month and the government pays it! Plus, they furnished the flat under the Assisted Furniture Scheme Barb mentioned above and I have to tell you, they got some lovely, vintage furniture ... 2 sofas, a really pretty wood dining table with 4 chairs, a coffee table, end tables, bed, 2 bedside tables, and desk for something like £200.

You may think this is a lovely, nice thing for the British government to do - and I suppose it is - but SOMEBODY'S paying for all this niceness. And it isn't them!

And before you have a go at them personally, you can multiply the above 2 scenarios by the thousands. Free housing, money for furniture, money for leaving your flat clean, money for having babies, money for being unemployed, money for being "addicted" or because you're an alcoholic or have a mental disorder, etc. etc. etc. The benefits system here is totally out of control.

Something is wrong when 2 hard-working people like me and my husband cannot (yet) find a place to live because we can't afford the rents, but we hear story after story about the unemployed (unemployed for a variety of different reasons, not just job loss) living off benefits who are handed free housing on a silver platter.

End of rant. Thank you for listening.
The "council" in Britain confuses me. I thought years ago they sold off all the council houses to private individuals. Do they still have council houses then? How do you qualify and how long is the waiting list?

Of course, I remember some council houses that were dreadful. I know they were not all like that, though.

Yes, you are right. Something is wrong with the picture here.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of lightchriswinter is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
I wonder if we will be talking about Wisconsin tomorrow, is this the start of real Trouble in America, I think it might be.
It is a cautionary tale for the rest of America.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dgjamison
Windsong, I am so very very sorry to read this, I can't believe banks and the buyer can get away with this, to me this is day light robbery, why are there no laws to protect innocent people against this expoitation, how can the sleep at nightI just hope things work out for you and god bless Denise2
Thank you, Denise. I appreciate your kind sentiments.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:22 am
Just Joined

Anne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to allAnne188 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=dgjamison;9231292]Hi Anne, I am so sorry to hear your very sad news, but am glad to see you are
trying to move on. I will try and give you an insight of my experience.

Thanks for all the replies they are so helpful to me. I am making a plan and taking my time and going back with furnished appartment and storage is good idea. However I have a green card with no expiration date issued in 1977 should I become an American Citizen and if I do will it effect me in any way if I decide to live in UK? I'm taking it slow but I'm going to go for the longest time I'm allowed I think that is 5months without raising a red flag. Glad to receive any advice.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

There usually are laws but it takes MONEY to have them enforced.
Cheers, I have networked with a few people right across the country who have had the same thing happen to them. Many have money and spent thousands. It doesn't matter. The result is the same.

One of the problems is finding an attorney who knows about this sort of thing. It is not just an illegal sale in real estate. They have to know about the "paper trail" that is created. This field is not my forte so I may seem as if I am talking in riddles. I only know it is a science and there are SO few attorneys across the country who know this field through and through. In fact, in my state there are none! Unbelievable in one of the highest rate of foreclosure states in the country.

Even if there were an attorney who knew this stuff backwards, it would make no difference, the judges rule in favor of the banks - 99.5% of the time. One attorney told me it is because of the influence that the Supreme Court as on the state judges here. I don't understand what is meant by that but, to me, any illegal sale should be reversed. It is just not right.

I just remembered; I know of ONE case out of hundreds of thousands where the sale was reversed - after two years. That was in South Carolina.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 11th 2011 at 3:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.