Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Talk to an ex-pat broker. Don't believe what other people tell you until you hear it from the horse's mouth. You may be able to get a mortgage, but just for a shorter period of time than other people. Or maybe not, but a broker could tell you the deal.
Thanks, Sally. I seem to remember you said that once before and I forgot. I really must delve further into this subject.

One thing that I keep in mind at all times when it comes to getting a mortgage in the UK is what is happening with me right now in the U.S. regarding my current home. For those of you who have not read my story (not mentioned in a long time) here it is - so never say something can never happen to you and that something is not possible because it is:

Two years ago I applied for a loan modification. I was approved. I received the final paperwork from the bank but the escrow figures were wrong. The company that did my paperwork and submitted it to the bank asked the bank to correct the figures before I signed because they were the final papers after all. The bank did nothing of the kind. Instead, they sold my home a month later. I found out by accident that it had been sold to a third party at an auction for . . . drumroll . . . $25,000!!! Yes twenty-five thousand dollars. Talk about DEVASTATED! I have lived here 13 years. I am presently renting my own home from the new owner while my lawsuit against the bank is underway - I am SUING them!

My home is a very nice middle-class condo. The real estate market where I live (midwest) has plummeted the last four years but, even so, they are selling for over $100,000 now. Six years ago, it was valued at $180,000. This creep bought it for $25,000! I have paid half of that in rent to him over the last year while the lawsuit proceeds.

Because of the influence of the Supreme Court on the court system in my state, my attorney says the sale will not be reversed - yes, it is possible to do a reversal and some have been done throughout the country - because the courts are siding with the banks, no matter what. The most I can expect - apparently - is a small cash settlement and a clear credit rating. My home is no longer my home - it is a roof over my head. It is shelter. Nothing more now.

This experience was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have always wanted to go back to the UK but this was the final straw. I will not live in a country where this sort of thing is possible - and if it is possible, then there should be adequate compensation and reversal of sale under the legal system. The ethics ruling here are totally against my own personal values and ethics. Any veil of denial has been lifted from me as to what is really happening here. Had I known 30 years ago that this sort of thing would be allowed to happen in the USA, come hell or high water I would not have come here.

So . . . when you read the papers, whatever it is, never ever say "this can never happen to me".

Last edited by windsong; Mar 10th 2011 at 1:46 am.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
I can't believe that I could be so lucky as to have this happen. I think I worked 2 1/2 years in England. Hope no-one resents me for it.
I am not sure it will make a difference for returning expats, Linda. I would like to think so but I hardly think we will get the straight £140 that UK residents will get. I don't know, though.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Pistolpete2;9228517]
Originally Posted by cheers
Now I'm confused? I wasn't like Onslow when I left and I wouldn't want to be like him when I return.

Onslow image. Not dressed or shaven and watching TV all day with a constant stream of cans of beer in his hand.

And always seems to have a "headache".
I know that program. lol! I forget the name of the woman who thinks she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but I couldn't stand seeing Onslow's house. It drove me nuts!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Boodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud ofBoodles has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Just make sure that the shed has wallpaper, and tea plates with matching handpainted periwinkles...
And, just remember not to BRUSH against the wallpaper!!!!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:06 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;9229567]
Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

I know that program. lol! I forget the name of the woman who thinks she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth, but I couldn't stand seeing Onslow's house. It drove me nuts!
It looks like a lot of our neighbors on the inside from when I was growing up, we all had matching council houses with pebbledash walls outside we had red front door, cause my Dad didn't like the blue the council used. How they all lived in that cluttered mess is beyond me. Poor Daisy, she just want a cuddle (maybe a little more)
Old Mar 10th 2011, 3:10 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=windsong;9229567]
Originally Posted by Pistolpete2

I know that program. lol! I forget the name of the woman who thinks she was born with a silver spoon in her mouth
Hyacinthe Bucket (pronounced Bouquet )
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if we will be talking about Wisconsin tomorrow, is this the start of real Trouble in America, I think it might be.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:06 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It looks like a lot of our neighbors on the inside from when I was growing up, we all had matching council houses with pebbledash walls outside we had red front door, cause my Dad didn't like the blue the council used. How they all lived in that cluttered mess is beyond me. Poor Daisy, she just want a cuddle (maybe a little more)
Talking of council housing............

My sister is a council housing officer and yesterday she brought home their newsletter.............I was gobsmacked at 2 articles in there.

ASSISTED FURNITURE SCHEME

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!! (Strict criteria applies)

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!! Just follow the eight "do's" and the money is yours!!!

I kid you not!!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Mar 10th 2011 at 8:37 am.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya

My sister is a council housing officer and yesterday she brought home their newsletter.............I was gobsmacked at 2 articles in there.

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!!

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!!

I kid you not!!!
Wow Barb £1000 that's unreal, I've never heard of such a thing, that seems like a boat load of money, I doubt you would get that in America, that's what goodwill is for, plus we have lots of charities that would give you stuff.

£250 to leave it clean, surely they should do that anyway, of course I know some people dont, as some have no clue what clean really is, it sounds like a bad idea to me, surely everybody expects the 250 wether its really clean or not.

By the way my sister in law is a council housing officer.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't come across this yet, will let you know when I do.
At ASDA they charge to park, but when you buy something you get your pound back....
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

For people who don't have any furniture and are moving into their first council house they will provide a grant of up to £1000.00!!!! (Strict criteria applies)

LEAVE IT CLEAN

To encourage people to leave their council property clean and in good order when they leave, there is a £250.00 reward!!! Just follow the eight "do's" and the money is yours!!!

I kid you not!!!
WOW dont you just LOVE IT !!!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Here's Onslow (he's the one wiping his biscuit on the dog).
Thanks Sally I really had never heard of this show before, its probably on when my Mum is watching her 3 hours of Soaps, Corrie/Emerdale/Neihbours,
I do miss a lot of good telly when all this is on but I do try and catch up with things on my Lap Top,
Old Mar 10th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Derrygal
He's the lazy slob in the BBC sit-com "Keeping Up Appearances". It was made in the 90s - I still watch here on my local PBS station. It's very funny.
Oh yes keeping up appearances Ive seen a few episodes of that years ago, I remember now thanks.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks, Sally. I seem to remember you said that once before and I forgot. I really must delve further into this subject.

One thing that I keep in mind at all times when it comes to getting a mortgage in the UK is what is happening with me right now in the U.S. regarding my current home. For those of you who have not read my story (not mentioned in a long time) here it is - so never say something can never happen to you and that something is not possible because it is:

Two years ago I applied for a loan modification. I was approved. I received the final paperwork from the bank but the escrow figures were wrong. The company that did my paperwork and submitted it to the bank asked the bank to correct the figures before I signed because they were the final papers after all. The bank did nothing of the kind. Instead, they sold my home a month later. I found out by accident that it had been sold to a third party at an auction for . . . drumroll . . . $25,000!!! Yes twenty-five thousand dollars. Talk about DEVASTATED! I have lived here 13 years. I am presently renting my own home from the new owner while my lawsuit against the bank is underway - I am SUING them!

My home is a very nice middle-class condo. The real estate market where I live (midwest) has plummeted the last four years but, even so, they are selling for over $100,000 now. Six years ago, it was valued at $180,000. This creep bought it for $25,000! I have paid half of that in rent to him over the last year while the lawsuit proceeds.

Because of the influence of the Supreme Court on the court system in my state, my attorney says the sale will not be reversed - yes, it is possible to do a reversal and some have been done throughout the country - because the courts are siding with the banks, no matter what. The most I can expect - apparently - is a small cash settlement and a clear credit rating. My home is no longer my home - it is a roof over my head. It is shelter. Nothing more now.

This experience was the straw that broke the camel's back. I have always wanted to go back to the UK but this was the final straw. I will not live in a country where this sort of thing is possible - and if it is possible, then there should be adequate compensation and reversal of sale under the legal system. The ethics ruling here are totally against my own personal values and ethics. Any veil of denial has been lifted from me as to what is really happening here. Had I known 30 years ago that this sort of thing would be allowed to happen in the USA, come hell or high water I would not have come here.

So . . . when you read the papers, whatever it is, never ever say "this can never happen to me".
Windsong, OMG WOW I am flabagasted after reading your story, absolutely ridicules of that bank to have been able to sell your house, and after the mistake was discovered that the courts would not automatically reverse the sale, Courts should not have even needed to come into the matter, the bank should have reversed the sale right away and also reimbursed you for any inconvenience, Unbelievable, I am so sorry that you are going through all this.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jasper123
Windsong, OMG WOW I am flabagasted after reading your story, absolutely ridicules of that bank to have been able to sell your house, and after the mistake was discovered that the courts would not automatically reverse the sale, Courts should not have even needed to come into the matter, the bank should have reversed the sale right away and also reimbursed you for any inconvenience, Unbelievable, I am so sorry that you are going through all this.
Thanks, Rodney. Yes, it is a nightmare that no one should live. There really is crookedness, deception, greed and theft in the USA, and there is no such thing as justice here. There's also no protection from the government. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Last edited by windsong; Mar 10th 2011 at 11:54 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.