Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:23 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Your parents made you drink cabbage water???

No they didn't make us drink it, we loved it!!!!!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:28 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Barb, you've spoken of mosquitos a lot...

I lived in the Rockies for 18 years, our little city would get loads of mosquitos, every spring/summer the city would pay for a someone to fly over and spray a killer, it would spray the river and surrounding area's, we'd all be told ahead of time so we could put our cars in the garage, those without garages who have to wash the stuff off their cars, (it was an oily product) the city would also have pick up trucks that traveled around the streets with large foggers on the back, and yes it made a big difference...

Do they do anything like that in OZ?.
Not in this area, I mean they are not THAT bad just bloomin' annoying!!

They could do that in Queenland though where they carry viruses and stuff like Ross River virus?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:35 pm
Home Sweet Home

UPDATE ON JOB

My big boss just phoned, still all looking "positive", I am to stay on the payroll on leave without pay and he will email me a contract as things move slowly here but unexpected announcements were made by senior management in a worldwide conference yesterday on the global expansion of our company........
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
UPDATE ON JOB

My big boss just phoned, still all looking "positive", I am to stay on the payroll on leave without pay and he will email me a contract as things move slowly here but unexpected announcements were made by senior management in a worldwide conference yesterday on the global expansion of our company........
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE ON JOB

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:59 pm
Forum Regular

bluenose123 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Welcome Julie...

I too think shoes and clothing are expensivein the UK, Jeans were £50 10 years ago, you can still find well made shoes made in Italy and Brazil, most in US seem to be from China...

My inlaws always load up with pants and shirts while here on vacation...
Where did you shop F&C...............Harrods? I have never paid those sort of prices. A decent pair of jeans cost around around a tenner. Shoes from a tenner, trainers from eight or nine pounds.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Bea,

Again what Airline and flight number and time?

You are so lucky!!

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Yes, another Aussie/Pom same as you Bea!
We emigrated here 37yrs ago & like yourself we went back for 2yrs. Wish we had stayed but times were hard over in UK then. They called the winter of 78/'79 'the winter of discontent' nearly everyone was on strike.
Many times since then we have planned to go back but kids start growing up & then there is never a right time to go. Both married now & we have grandchildren.

It is still a dream but I don't think it will ever happen. We did all the wrong things being unsettled & moving around too much. So now we don't have a house to sell or even savings. OH shares the dream but I know from past experience that he won't buckle down & go through the culture shock & all the difficulties one can expect. So much easier with a healthy bank account.

We are both 69yrs. And of course there is the family here - - not close to any in England. I can so much feel the excitment & pain that Bea is going through because Oz is so far & so expensive to visit.

I have read every post on here from the beginning. I have been really interested finding out what it is like for the average person in USA & Canada.
Also great to hear about the changes in England.
Paula.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Not in this area, I mean they are not THAT bad just bloomin' annoying!!

They could do that in Queenland though where they carry viruses and stuff like Ross River virus?
They spray for mozzies every year around the Peel Estuary in Mandurah, since Ross River Virus. However, when there is an unually high tide it does not solve the problem.
Paula
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:07 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Where did you shop F&C...............Harrods? I have never paid those sort of prices. A decent pair of jeans cost around around a tenner. Shoes from a tenner, trainers from eight or nine pounds.
Where do you shop. I see nice tops at $20 each and trousers a lot more on the M&S website. I did buy a pile of tee shirts from them the other summer as they last well, one was $12 and the others were plain and two for $10 or something.
I had some trousers from tesco ($10 on clearance) that were nice, but never found anything that fit right at Asda, same here with WalMart, they fit me funny.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluenose123
Hi Bluenose, I didnt buy anything, that was the prices I saw on products in the shops, I'm not saying you cant get cheaper stuff, Levis brand jeans I saw were £50, and yes you can get shoes cheap too, I always buy decent stuff and it lasts for years...

Ive never been in Harrods hahahaaaaa...

Maybe stuff is cheaper these days, I dont know, I never buy clothes n shoes in the Uk, just sweets and magazines.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

UPDATE ON JOB

Bee, it was just announced that Qantas is starting direct flights from Dallas to Sydney. Just wish it had been a year earlier and we wouldn't have had to go through LAX last October. It seems likea very successful airline. Good Luck with the job!!
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Easterndawn...Sorry about the car but you have another plan so thats good and the job is firm so thats another worry off your shoulders. I was watching a " An Island Parish" a program about Barra its an Island off the Coast of Western Scotland what a beautiful place last week was episode 5 of 12. The majority of the islanders are Catholics because good old Henry III couldnt get up there so they were spared the reformation. What an unspoilt area that is. Made me long to be home.

Beedubya....Great news about the job Hard to imagine just a few short days and you will be back home. My Dad always drank gabbage water, wonder if that was something the Scots did. My Mother always made the gravy with it if Dad wasnt home. Both my parents would drink a cup of boiled water before breakfast said it was very good for you.
We have two types of bugs I hate here in NH. One is the Spring black fly. You can hardly see them but they have a really nasty bite and then we have the mosquito which the town sprays for in Summer but doesnt seem to help. You dont go out early morning or when the sun has gone down without protection. And you never open a window without a screen on it. Oh and we have enormous horse fly's which chase you and bite you.

Food.... I Remember eating Cows Heart My Mother would roast it and another thing which I hated was stuffed Marrow. She would stuff it with ground beef and onions. Barley soup didnt like that either.

Jasper123...My nephew and niece just went down to London by train they wouldnt think of going any other way. They love it. They think nothing of going down to the theatre staying overnight and then returning the next day. Travel is so easy in the UK. Whats for dinner this Sunday.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Good Morning Trottytrue, My brother and I used to fight over who would drink the cabbage water, now we know it is full of vitamins but then it just tasted good.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.