Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Being Scottish, my mom made a dish called "stovies", it was sort of a thick stew, made with meat, usually lamb or beef, lots of potatoes, carrots, onions and turnips, also she was the best shortbread maker I have ever tasted.

My friend and I were talking about how as girls we used to collect "scraps", I saw an Antiques Road Show last week and someone had a lot of them some were worth over £200, oh how I wish I had saved the ones I had, the big angels etc.

I was refused credit for the Shogun, they gave me the reasons, they are as follows, not long enough time in UK, not enough time in new job, not enough time in new flat, so now on to plan "B". I have decided to take driving lesson, looks like it will cost me about £140 for 6, but I think this would be a good investment. Work is going well, there has been some changes in upper management, so I was a little worried that this might filter down to middle management, but was told that I was going nowhere and was now part of the brick work, which made me feel more relaxed.
Hello Ed...

Fingers crossed for plan B, good luck with the lessons, I too think its good value for money.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
Some of my favourite food memories are: sandwiches on a windy beach, garnished with flying grains of sand; Tizer the Appetizer--
tina
Oh, so you had the real sandwiches. LoL

Tizer fan too, I have a can in the Fridge, I bet its way out of date.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Travel, be sure to look out for coupons in the daily newspapers, not sure if they still do them but I know they used to a few years ago.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:18 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
Hey

We have been lookinf for best deal on train fares as our daughter in law just become a new Mom just yesterday! Hubby looking at...

www.thetrainline.com

He says that they have 43% discount - such a long way as they live in Swansea now - not sure what you mean about the discount card? Is it a paid for thing or do we get it as we are seniors? We looking to go in a week or 10 days so if you can get back with info will be great. TY
Congrats on the new grandchild
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:44 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The redspottedhanky website is really good.
http://www.redspottedhanky.com/

I was just able to find tickets from Kendal to Manchester for £6.50 each way (direct).

London is pricier but the trains are direct again (from Oxenholme which is only a mile outside Kendal). £64 return was the best deal I could get for a weekend trip but the journey only takes 2 and a half hours - cool! Plus if I wanted to go from here to DC, which takes about as long, the cheapest fare I can get on Amtrak is $218 or £134.

There are limitations on when you can travel though, so these deals are only good for trips you can plan ahead.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Feb 23rd 2011 at 4:48 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Oh, so you had the real sandwiches. LoL

Tizer fan too, I have a can in the Fridge, I bet its way out of date.
right--Lord Sandwich had nothing to do with it--their main component was sand! yet nothing tasted better than those lunches in the West Country air...actually often what my grandmother called "a howling gale"!

tina
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The redspottedhanky website is really good.
http://www.redspottedhanky.com/

I was just able to find tickets from Kendal to Manchester for £6.50 each way (direct).

London is pricier but the trains are direct again (from Oxenholme which is only a mile outside Kendal). £64 return was the best deal I could get for a weekend trip but the journey only takes 2 and a half hours - cool! Plus if I wanted to go from here to DC, which takes about as long, the cheapest fare I can get on Amtrak is $218 or £134.

There are limitations on when you can travel though, so these deals are only good for trips you can plan ahead.
Sally thanks for the link, interesting site, Portsmouth to Cardif 30 day advance booking £18.50 return very good price, no stops and takes only
3 & half hours E/W
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
Hey

We have been lookinf for best deal on train fares as our daughter in law just become a new Mom just yesterday! Hubby looking at...

www.thetrainline.com

He says that they have 43% discount - such a long way as they live in Swansea now - not sure what you mean about the discount card? Is it a paid for thing or do we get it as we are seniors? We looking to go in a week or 10 days so if you can get back with info will be great. TY
SENIOR DISCOUNT CARD, at least a third off all fares, cost £26 per year and must be over 60,
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Senior rail card is all explained here:

http://www.senior-railcard.co.uk/
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:41 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
We had the proper roast at dinner time, with a good pudding, then the salad and lunch meat at tea time.
I've got a rice pudding in the oven as I write, it's turkey loaf, and mashed potatoes and rice pud tonight.
We always had a roast dinner of some kind on Sunday lunch time,I remember my sister and I fighting over who was going to drink the cabbage water!!!!

Sunday tea was something like jelly and custard and maybe a little cake or tinned fruit with carnation milk and a sandwich of some kind, probably not smoked salmon or caviar LOL!!

On Monday we had bubble and squeak with the leftovers from Sunday lunch and maybe a fried egg on top, probably it was also to save paying for a school dinner.

I LOVED school dinners and remember this cheese pie we used to have with this kind of tomato sauce/hot gravy, It was the bomb.

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 23rd 2011 at 8:36 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:55 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
You are so lucky not knowing whats going on in the world.What country are you going to refuel in?

Cheers
Will be refuelling in Abu Dhabi.

Not lucky to not know what is going on in the world, it's a choice I made years ago. I am sensitive and things affect me.

Yesterday we had the earthquake news from Christchurch on, and of course it is 24/7 coverage and other than getting an overview I don't really feel the need to see human tragedy and suffering constantly as it makes me depressed. I told my daughter she shouldn't have it on when the kids were there as the youngest starting asking would we be getting an earthquake soon!! The eldest also had nightmares for months after that terrible Tsunami we had fearing we were all due to get swept away.......

I have a friend who's little 7 year old grandson lives in Christchurch with his mother we still haven't heard if they are OK so I am waiting for her phone call.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:58 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I fighting over who was going to drink the cabbage water
Your parents made you drink cabbage water???

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:11 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by black swan
Since the price of fresh fruit made it a luxury - - we are prone to floods & droughts in Australia that greatly affect prices- - I have started buying canned fruit. I love to eat it with Carnation milk! Never thought of that as yuk or unusual. Same with veggies. I have had to start buying frozen veggies until the price comes down.

So envious of you Bea. Thinking of you. We're stuck inside with the heat here in Perth. In the evening when it would be pleasant outside we are attacked by mozzies. Paula.
Hi Paula welcome and it's so nice to hear another Pommie/Ozzie on here!!! The humidity here has been just awful, but luckily it has changed the past days to being bearable. Last night my daughter and fiancee had a nice BBQ eating outside (last Aussie one), but I was bitten to the max, all over my arms and feet, will not miss those little blighters.

Do you have definite plans for going back home or still at the thinking stage?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 8:27 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Hasn't she gone off to her daughters for a bit to visit and get ready to fly home? They are probably spending lots of time together while they can.
Correct Pauline!!!

Spent Tuesday finishing packing up the car, cleaning the flat, handing in the keys, MAJOR tiredness, came home and collapsed on the bed.

Yesterday spent the day with my daughter, went to hairdressers for foils/cut, then went to have a pedicure with daughter Xmas present voucher from daughter I hadn't used.

Dropped off a lot of clothes to a local womens refuge. I has also collected a whole heap of used body sprays, deodorants, half used perfumes confiscated from passengers, I phoned the refuge first to see if they wanted them a few weeks back and they were very grateful, arrived there yesterday to find out due to OH & S they are not allowed to accept used perfumes, etc. How ridiculous is that?? Women leaving a domestic violence situation with nothing can't have half a bottle of Estee Lauder perfume or body spray!! I was pretty peed off about that!! :curse:

Today I am going to see a friend from Liverpool with my daughter, I have 2 MASSIVE bags of books mainly Family History concerning Liverpool and I know she is going to love them.

Going to look for something comfortable to wear on the plane this afternoon, then tonight its dinner with my daughter, her partner and grand-kids and his mum and her partner (who is from Chester).

Tomorrow doing final packing, sorting, few drinks with friends at the local, will only stay for an hour or two.

Then Saturday get my act together, my gf is driving from Sydney to pick me up and take me to the airport, then it's OFF for me!! 2 sleeps to go!!!

p.s. Still nothing on the job, BUT I am still on the payroll and still have my airport security ID card which is unheard of so who knows........

Last edited by Beedubya; Feb 23rd 2011 at 8:31 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Last night my daughter and fiancee had a nice BBQ eating outside (last Aussie one), but I was bitten to the max, all over my arms and feet, will not miss those little blighters.
Hi Barb, you've spoken of mosquitos a lot...

I lived in the Rockies for 18 years, our little city would get loads of mosquitos, every spring/summer the city would pay for a someone to fly over and spray a killer, it would spray the river and surrounding area's, we'd all be told ahead of time so we could put our cars in the garage, those without garages who have to wash the stuff off their cars, (it was an oily product) the city would also have pick up trucks that traveled around the streets with large foggers on the back, and yes it made a big difference...

Do they do anything like that in OZ?.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.