Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The redspottedhanky website is really good.
http://www.redspottedhanky.com/

I was just able to find tickets from Kendal to Manchester for £6.50 each way (direct).

London is pricier but the trains are direct again (from Oxenholme which is only a mile outside Kendal). £64 return was the best deal I could get for a weekend trip but the journey only takes 2 and a half hours - cool! Plus if I wanted to go from here to DC, which takes about as long, the cheapest fare I can get on Amtrak is $218 or £134.

There are limitations on when you can travel though, so these deals are only good for trips you can plan ahead.
Yes Sally i found train travel in the States was very epensive, I always got the impression that if you want to go somewhere for affordable fare then you went by bus, train journeys to me was regarded as a luxury, in all the 36 years i was in the States i never once went on a train, first of all the nearest train station from where i lived was always at least 270 MILES away,
But here in UK train travel is regarded as the way to go if you dont want to drive or dont have a car, and im spoiled cause in my town of Portsmouth we have no less then 4 train stations, all within a couple of miles from each other,
Old Feb 24th 2011, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jasper123
Yes Sally i found train travel in the States was very epensive, I always got the impression that if you want to go somewhere for affordable fare then you went by bus, train journeys to me was regarded as a luxury, in all the 36 years i was in the States i never once went on a train, first of all the nearest train station from where i lived was always at least 270 MILES away,
But here in UK train travel is regarded as the way to go if you dont want to drive or dont have a car, and im spoiled cause in my town of Portsmouth we have no less then 4 train stations, all within a couple of miles from each other,
Rod...
The one thing you will love about the British rail system is on time performance, Ive been on Virgin a few times and it runs to the minute, dont be late by or a minute or you will have missed the train...
Be sure to take your headphones, the ones I went on had free entertainment just like aircraft.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:41 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Sally i found train travel in the States was very epensive, I always got the impression that if you want to go somewhere for affordable fare then you went by bus, train journeys to me was regarded as a luxury, in all the 36 years i was in the States i never once went on a train, first of all the nearest train station from where i lived was always at least 270 MILES away,\
Wow, that's far!

We do have a wonderful local train service here that's quite reasonable. I can walk 5 minutes to the station, hop on a train (every 20 minutes during the day) and be in Grand Central station in 25 minutes. I can't complain about that! But it's such a shame that every city doesn't have the same. Think of all the energy we'd save, not to mention the stress of all those commuters sitting in traffic.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

curleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond reputecurleytops has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone, just finally got a chance to catch up with all today, congratulations to dontheturner and sentosa for their returns home and best wishes to beedubyafor a safe journey; not long now eh? you must be SO excited!!!

Welcome to julie and black swan, hope you've enjoyed reading about everyone's thoughts and experiences as much as I have.

Sorry to hear there wasn't better news on the auto front ED but as many have said here before, you're a determined lady and you'll make this all work out!

Right now I feel like I'm knee deep in shredded paper and struggling to get motivated to push on with the big clear out. I've got 35 more sleeps and I'm really starting to panic that I'll not get everything done. Oh well the weekend's nearly here, time to knuckle down then Take care all, see you soon
Old Feb 24th 2011, 6:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Dates to remember

Easter is April 24th

Daylight savings time US 2 weeks Sunday or March 13th

SYK

Cheers
Old Feb 24th 2011, 7:44 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cheers
Dates to remember Easter is April 24th Daylight savings time US 2 weeks Sunday or March 13th SYK Cheers

And for those of you keeping up with the UK calendar
:

MARCH

St. David's Day (Wales) is March 1 ~ buy yourself some daffodils!

Shrove Tuesday (a/k/a Pancake Day) is March 8.

Be sure to wear green on March 17, St. Patrick's Day.

Red Nose Day is March 18 and already lots of great telly surrounding it.

British Summer Time begins March 27. Thank goodness!!!!!!!

APRIL

Mothering Sunday (UK) is April 3.

The Queen's (real) birthday is April 21.

The Easter bank holiday week-end is April 22-April 25.

St. George's Day is April 23 ~ fly your England flag with pride!

And of course ... the Royal Wedding on April 29, which will add an extra holiday to the existing 3-day May bank holiday week-end.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:03 pm
DDL

DDL is an unknown quantity at this point

Posted yesterday in the Media Requests forum:
I am a freelance journalist working for an international publication and I am looking for men and women who have lived abroad for more than 10 years and are now back home. I would like to ask them about why they've come home, what changes they've seen - for better and for worse - and how they are coping. What are the best things about coming home - and what do they miss from life elsewhere. I can be contacted via my email - [email protected]. Look forward to speaking to you.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by black swan
Yes, another Aussie/Pom same as you Bea!
We emigrated here 37yrs ago & like yourself we went back for 2yrs. Wish we had stayed but times were hard over in UK then. They called the winter of 78/'79 'the winter of discontent' nearly everyone was on strike.
Many times since then we have planned to go back but kids start growing up & then there is never a right time to go. Both married now & we have grandchildren.

It is still a dream but I don't think it will ever happen. We did all the wrong things being unsettled & moving around too much. So now we don't have a house to sell or even savings. OH shares the dream but I know from past experience that he won't buckle down & go through the culture shock & all the difficulties one can expect. So much easier with a healthy bank account.

We are both 69yrs. And of course there is the family here - - not close to any in England. I can so much feel the excitment & pain that Bea is going through because Oz is so far & so expensive to visit.

I have read every post on here from the beginning. I have been really interested finding out what it is like for the average person in USA & Canada.
Also great to hear about the changes in England.
Paula.
Welcome blackswan, you didn't do all the wrong things --- you just did the things that all us expats do and have done, turn back time and we would still do so much the same, secret is whatever you do with your life you must have no regrets, i had no regrets when i was living my long life in USA and i have no regrets in now being back in England and retired,
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:44 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
Bee, it was just announced that Qantas is starting direct flights from Dallas to Sydney. Just wish it had been a year earlier and we wouldn't have had to go through LAX last October. It seems likea very successful airline. Good Luck with the job!!
Yes we have taken San Francisco off the scheduled flights and replaced it with Dallas/Fort Worth.

SFO is to be run by American Airlines on a code share basis I believe.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:46 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Good Morning Trottytrue, My brother and I used to fight over who would drink the cabbage water, now we know it is full of vitamins but then it just tasted good.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:50 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

You cabbage water people are insane!! When I was a kid, I hated cabbage more than anything - except maybe sprouts.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Easterndawn...Sorry about the car but you have another plan so thats good and the job is firm so thats another worry off your shoulders. I was watching a " An Island Parish" a program about Barra its an Island off the Coast of Western Scotland what a beautiful place last week was episode 5 of 12. The majority of the islanders are Catholics because good old Henry III couldnt get up there so they were spared the reformation. What an unspoilt area that is. Made me long to be home.

Beedubya....Great news about the job Hard to imagine just a few short days and you will be back home. My Dad always drank gabbage water, wonder if that was something the Scots did. My Mother always made the gravy with it if Dad wasnt home. Both my parents would drink a cup of boiled water before breakfast said it was very good for you.
We have two types of bugs I hate here in NH. One is the Spring black fly. You can hardly see them but they have a really nasty bite and then we have the mosquito which the town sprays for in Summer but doesnt seem to help. You dont go out early morning or when the sun has gone down without protection. And you never open a window without a screen on it. Oh and we have enormous horse fly's which chase you and bite you.

Food.... I Remember eating Cows Heart My Mother would roast it and another thing which I hated was stuffed Marrow. She would stuff it with ground beef and onions. Barley soup didnt like that either.

Jasper123...My nephew and niece just went down to London by train they wouldnt think of going any other way. They love it. They think nothing of going down to the theatre staying overnight and then returning the next day. Travel is so easy in the UK. Whats for dinner this Sunday.
Trotty, this Sunday me and mum are going to try out this nice pub on the outskirts of town, they have a really nice traditional sunday roast, beef/pork/lamb or chicken, your choice, all the trimmings, 2 for £10 ill let you know how it was,
Today was a lovely day, 15c and blue skys & sunshine,me mum and her friend molly drove to a nice little village called emsworth, country one end and the sea the other, we had a nice walk around the village, and also walked to the sea and along the promenade we had a nice cheap lunch out, sandwhich and coffee for £1.50 each in a nice church hall, staffed by volunteers lots of people in there, all age groups, young & old, the village people use it as a meeting place, and to have a nice lunch together,
got home around 2pm then I took the bus up to my Daughters house had a chat and a coffee and in walked my other daughter (and) HER daughter, when i asked (her) age she said 23 --- and you could have knocked me down with a feather, me with a 23 year old grandaughter eek: me feel old oh nooooo not me
Well im just really starting to settle down to my new life now, getting used to the change and loving it,
I guess bottom line is im home and with my family, and i feel really loved for the first time in more years that i choose to remember, its a great feeling, i was really worried about growing old in America all alone,
Im slowly starting to get Rodney back.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:21 pm
Finally Home!

I guess bottom line is im home and with my family, and i feel really loved for the first time in more years that i choose to remember, its a great feeling, i was really worried about growing old in America all alone,
Im slowly starting to get Rodney back.
How fantastic This update made me get a little bit teary for you (but in a good way!)
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jasper123....You hit the nail on the head. Many of us seem to have lost ourselves when we moved abroad. I for one am not the same person here as I am at home. The 'real' me comes out when I am home. Its seems like that part of me is not around when I am here in the US. I feel so comfortable when I am home it is hard to explain but I am very aware of the changes that take place.
Dinner out that sounds nice and very reasonable. Cant wait to hear how it went. I am envious of your weather. Its cold and nasty here and tomorrow its going to snow again. Spring is a long way away.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Rod...
The one thing you will love about the British rail system is on time performance, Ive been on Virgin a few times and it runs to the minute, dont be late by or a minute or you will have missed the train...
Be sure to take your headphones, the ones I went on had free entertainment just like aircraft.
Thanks fish, I will remember the headphones and Virgin, do you know i like it that my home town is Portsmouth cause it quite close to a lot of places, and I can take the train from pompey to Waterloo and it only takes 90minutes each way, havent searched for that fare yet though, but it cant be too much? maybe its time to buy my senior discount card and fork up the £26, its good for a whole year,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.