Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

OVER 50's+ MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:18 am
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Cheers...I make the best Lemon Curd from my mums recipe but I dont make it very often as its so bad for me.

Somersetgirl...My mum made syrup pudding we had it with custand. Hmmmmm. Sugar butties. My Dad was a Scot and when we had shredded wheat for breakfast he would soak them in boiled water first. Then pour the hot milk on. That way you didnt need as much milk. He also liked tripe and onions
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Yes, all our Mums and Grans went to the same school. We had proper Sunday Dinner too, always with roast beef and yorkshire pudding, or lamb with mint sauce, plus veggies from the garden (we lived in the country) brussels sprouts, cabbage or broccoli, all of which I hated back then. Does anyone remember steamed pudding with tate & lyle goldensyrup on top?? Yummy!

My in-laws still have tinned fruit and carnation for dessert!!
Nothing has changed here, we always have a proper Sunday Dinner, Roast beef, Turkey breast or Pork loin, Yorkshire puddings, Roast potatoes, Mash, peas, carrots, Cauliflower, sometimes mushy peas etc etc...

My wife does me a home made steamed treacle sponge pudding every once in a while and yes with Tate n Lyle Syrup, I had one two weeks ago, Im a lucky lad...

Tonight we had Galtic Irish Sausage cobs for tea, yum yum...
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 5:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Being Scottish, my mom made a dish called "stovies", it was sort of a thick stew, made with meat, usually lamb or beef, lots of potatoes, carrots, onions and turnips, also she was the best shortbread maker I have ever tasted.

My friend and I were talking about how as girls we used to collect "scraps", I saw an Antiques Road Show last week and someone had a lot of them some were worth over £200, oh how I wish I had saved the ones I had, the big angels etc.

I was refused credit for the Shogun, they gave me the reasons, they are as follows, not long enough time in UK, not enough time in new job, not enough time in new flat, so now on to plan "B". I have decided to take driving lesson, looks like it will cost me about £140 for 6, but I think this would be a good investment. Work is going well, there has been some changes in upper management, so I was a little worried that this might filter down to middle management, but was told that I was going nowhere and was now part of the brick work, which made me feel more relaxed.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Very interesting all these food memories. Mine are a bit different...we never had a Sunday roast, mainly I think because my mother couldn't afford the big piece of beef, and didn't herself feel passionate about the traditional Sunday lunch...but I don't mind because I've never been that keen on beef...our sunday dinner, eaten in the evening, was usually some special chicken dish. My mother is a brilliant cook and one of my favourite dishes of hers was bits of chicken in a creamy sauce with green and red (not hot) peppers.

Some of my favourite food memories are: sandwiches on a windy beach, garnished with flying grains of sand; Tizer the Appetizer--a VERY special treat, about once a year, on holiday; my mother's Christmas trifle--best in the world, soaked with sherry and of course with none of that abomination, jelly! elderflower "champagne"; egg salad sandwiches and mustard and cress sandwiches on the thinnest bread served at "tea" by my paternal grandma, a sort of early supper that didn't exist on my side of the family; well, i could go on and on....oh, sherbert fountains and pineapple chunks from the sweet shop....

tina
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

black swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant futureblack swan has a brilliant future

Since the price of fresh fruit made it a luxury - - we are prone to floods & droughts in Australia that greatly affect prices- - I have started buying canned fruit. I love to eat it with Carnation milk! Never thought of that as yuk or unusual. Same with veggies. I have had to start buying frozen veggies until the price comes down.

So envious of you Bea. Thinking of you. We're stuck inside with the heat here in Perth. In the evening when it would be pleasant outside we are attacked by mozzies.
Paula.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Well to get that leave she had to work till she almost dropped the baby. I think she stayed home 1 week before the baby arrived Not sure but it might be Government job.
Many dont like to take longer than that length of time because the companies they work for dont like it. My husband worked for a large company and many women took 3-9months I think the extra 6 months was unpaid . But it was not liked by other employees as the jobs they were doing were given to others and then when the maternity leave was over they came back to work wanting the job back they had left. If I remember rightly the company is legally bound to keep that position open for them.
The last place i worked in vegas women were given freedom to decide themselves when they wanted to stop work and have the baby, most though left it until the 9th month just weeks before due, but they had to give one months notice, now after birth they could stay at home as long as they wish up to 6 months but everything before and after is all non paid, but if they had any of there 2 weeks vacation time left they were able to use that,
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 10:28 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Just to carry on reminiscing we ate a lot of runner beans because they were the only vegetable we grew in the garden. A little ritual was slicing them ready to be boiled for Sunday dinner.
My dad had an allotment, and we had huge amounts of home grown veggies. It was next to an orchard, full of apples, pears, damsons, plums, etc. Which we could pick as much as we wanted.

We used to go to the south coast every summer for a 2-week holiday. My dad would pack a cardboard box full of runner beans to take with us. A taxi used to come and pick us up and take us to the station. Then it was off on the train to the seaside. My best memories!
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:35 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
My dad had an allotment, and we had huge amounts of home grown veggies. It was next to an orchard, full of apples, pears, damsons, plums, etc. Which we could pick as much as we wanted.
Oh that would be amazing. We lived out in the countryside, so we had our fill of wild blackberries and gooseberries. But when I was about six, I found some strawberries and started picking them. Later that day an old lady came round to our house and complained to my parents that I had been eating her strawberries. I didn't realize all berries weren't free

We had our holidays either on the east coast or in the Yorkshire Dales. We had a caravan and all my dad's brothers and sisters and all their kids used to go up there together. We stayed in a farmer's field right by the river Swale and had such fun. My dad's family were all a blast. My favorite memories are playing in the river, and sitting around a campfire at night roasting baked potatoes. To this day I think Swaledale is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

More holiday memories please! Where did you all go as kids?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Just a quick hello,
For anyone interested in train fares in UK, there is a web site here called ..Red spotted hanky.com...supposed to get good fares there.
Jackie
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Back home now in my home town in England U.K. after 36 years in U.S. now retired and loving it,
jasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond reputejasper123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

To get the very best fare you buy maybe 30 days in advance and then you have to grow up to get a senior card.

There are various types of discount cards so you might find one that applies.
Like everything else when you get use to the website it is easy to find what you are looking for.
Thanks Cheers,
I just been investigating different fares on that rail site and yes it all depends on a lot of things really, like especially if you book 30 days or more in advance, and have a senior card is good too, but even if one dosent you can get great deals if you are flexible with the times & dates,
Portsmouth to Cardiff leaving march 30 returning march 31 for example if you book the both way fares separately £5.35 E/W but if you book it as a return ticket then its just over £30 return, and you can book a no change ticket and that takes 3 & half hours thats all, so great and the fares are really cheap over here, Vunderful I will be doing a lot of trips im sure as soon as the weather gets little warmer, I love Wales, been ther soooo many times
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons

More holiday memories please! Where did you all go as kids?
Don't get me started...cornwall or Devon, thanks to the generosity of my grandmother, who would rent a house in a cornish or devonshire village for a couple of weeks and various of her children would go with their families. Cawsand, Cadgwith, and later years Westward Ho....Half the fun was the drive down which started very early and took all day, from Surrey where we lived then. Through the countryside, (no motorways then), the names of places getting more and more West country-ish--Chard, Huish Episcopi--the earth getting redder. The obligatory search for the perfect picnic place, which had to be down a lane, at the corner of some field or grove....the picnic, with Tizer, hardboiled eggs and a twist of salt, sandwiches...then the second half of the journey, first exciting glimpse of the sea.....
And so on. These holidays--so quintessentially English, with rock pool hunting, changing under a towel, wearing warm sweaters altho it was summer, walking barefoot in the streets of the holiday town, feeling encrusted in sand and salt most of the time-- marked me and every one of my five siblings profoundly, and I've made sure we had some sort of seaside holiday every year when our own kids were growing up.

tina
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

julierandall is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jasper123
Thanks Cheers,
I just been investigating different fares on that rail site and yes it all depends on a lot of things really, like especially if you book 30 days or more in advance, and have a senior card is good too, but even if one dosent you can get great deals if you are flexible with the times & dates,
Portsmouth to Cardiff leaving march 30 returning march 31 for example if you book the both way fares separately £5.35 E/W but if you book it as a return ticket then its just over £30 return, and you can book a no change ticket and that takes 3 & half hours thats all, so great and the fares are really cheap over here, Vunderful I will be doing a lot of trips im sure as soon as the weather gets little warmer, I love Wales, been ther soooo many times
Hey

We have been lookinf for best deal on train fares as our daughter in law just become a new Mom just yesterday! Hubby looking at...

www.thetrainline.com

He says that they have 43% discount - such a long way as they live in Swansea now - not sure what you mean about the discount card? Is it a paid for thing or do we get it as we are seniors? We looking to go in a week or 10 days so if you can get back with info will be great. TY
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

OK I just got up and its now 8:44 am.
First item of business. Where is Bea? Did we tick her off? She is posting elsewhere so she hasn't signed off!
Why did she leave us?
Rodney maybe you can coach her back on here?
Has anyone got any private mail from her?
Cheers

Last edited by cheers; Feb 23rd 2011 at 2:56 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
OK I just got up and its now 8:44 am.
First item of business. Where is Bea? Did we tick her off? She is posting elsewhere so she hasn't signed off!
Why did she leave us?
Rodney maybe you can coach her back on here?
Has anyone got any private mail from her?
Cheers
Hasn't she gone off to her daughters for a bit to visit and get ready to fly home? They are probably spending lots of time together while they can.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierandall
Hey

We have been lookinf for best deal on train fares as our daughter in law just become a new Mom just yesterday! Hubby looking at...

www.thetrainline.com

He says that they have 43% discount - such a long way as they live in Swansea now - not sure what you mean about the discount card? Is it a paid for thing or do we get it as we are seniors? We looking to go in a week or 10 days so if you can get back with info will be great. TY
The Seniors Rail Pass is a pass you need to buy from the Train Station - it is for a year, and costs £26. If you are going to do a lot of travel it is worth the price. You can even buy it when you buy your ticket - need some ID when you go. Jackie posted another cheap train site - it looks even better than the trainlineone. I was told that each of these discount companies gets a certain number of cheap seats, so when you see a good price and leave it for a day and then come back to it, it may already be sold. Need to do some serious research and be quick on the buy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.