Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by windsong
Rosie, you are right. It does have good lines. It's just that the modern architecture looks a bit odd at first when in the company of all those old buidings, but it is probably just what Britain needs.

Good luck on your move to your new home. I can't wait to hear all about it
Glad to hear you took a second look. Yes, I agree that it is difficult to look at the new juxtaposed on the old, sometimes very difficult indeed. But I then think of what it must have been like when anything was built next to something old, such as a Georgian house next to a timber framed one - you get the idea. Each new architectural style looks strange, then after a while you get used to it. The south bank of London is filled with new, and the City is being infilled too - and I have a hard time with those glass fronted modern structures next to St. Paul's cathedral. They look so wrong to me - and I will just have to deal with that, because they are here to stay!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Hate to post this here but I am frantic! I have been watching the videos of Coronation St. on YouTube, within hours of it running live in the UK, so I have been keeping up with the tram crash over there. I thought it ran today in the UK but there is nothing up (yet, at least) on YouTube for today. Doesn't it run on Tuesdays in the UK?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Thank you Rosie, you photos are wonderful, I want that camera, the link did not work, went to your email, but I will look out for that one, photos are very good.
Have a save trip to Frome and wow you have come so far from that lady that posted a few months ago wondering if you could "make it" there after so long away.
Those were terrible times back in October - staying with a mentally ill ex (not developmentally ill, he is bipolar - untreated) and having no where to stay. But it worked out - the good Lord I guess! Sometimes I think my angels have to work overtime...

I will sign off tonight, as it is midnight in the UK and I want a few hours sleep. Will sign on tomorrow just to see what all you have posted while I was napping, then that will be it until I get either to the Public Library in Frome or the internet cafe down the street from my new digs. All the best everyone! Rosie
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Those were terrible times back in October - staying with a mentally ill ex (not developmentally ill, he is bipolar - untreated) and having no where to stay. But it worked out - the good Lord I guess! Sometimes I think my angels have to work overtime...

I will sign off tonight, as it is midnight in the UK and I want a few hours sleep. Will sign on tomorrow just to see what all you have posted while I was napping, then that will be it until I get either to the Public Library in Frome or the internet cafe down the street from my new digs. All the best everyone! Rosie
Take Care Rosie.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:12 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Take care Rosie and keep posting from Frome (Froom!!).

Barb x
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:15 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Hate to post this here but I am frantic! I have been watching the videos of Coronation St. on YouTube, within hours of it running live in the UK, so I have been keeping up with the tram crash over there. I thought it ran today in the UK but there is nothing up (yet, at least) on YouTube for today. Doesn't it run on Tuesdays in the UK?
I got up 2 episodes last night on ITV player from 13th December, you can check on there for the latest updates, I think they come on within a few hours, I didn't think it was on the TV on Tuesdays in the UK, but can't remember now. I just checked and looks like there are no more so far............

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=197172
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I got up 2 episodes last night on ITV player from 13th December, you can check on there for the latest updates, I think they come on within a few hours, I didn't think it was on the TV on Tuesdays in the UK, but can't rememeber now. I just checked and looks like there are no more so far............

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=197172
Thanks, Bee. Looks as if I will have to be patient and wait until tomorrow. Whoever thought I would live and die for Coronation St lol!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Barb,
Maybe I missed it but what is the time frame for your new job and transferring to London?
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Rosie,

I think you get the 12:30 tomorrow?
Don't you have your own computer that you can use with Highwire?
Got to check on your arrival in Bath.

Cheers
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

TT, sorry been a bit down in the dumps since I got back, trying to get into Christmas and cant... 3 teenagers to buy for and well just been fed up, got so much to plan and take care of,things I cant post here, but anyway I do pop in for a read but it moves so fast, I dont always have time.

I wonder how Rodney is getting on, and Denise DDL please dont leave, love your postings.....

I take my oath on Friday morning at 8a.m and will be an American citizen and will apply for my passport right there and then.
Not sure if I posted that before about my oath, talk about senile "Cheers!"
Thinking of you all though even if i dont get here much at the moment.

Its flipping freezing out there isnt it TT.......hate it, makes me depressed!
Good luck on Friday - taking your oath. That is something I have to do - get US citizenship. It is my New Year's resolution. I never really thought it was important before until I found this forum. I checked my green card last night -have less than 15 months until it expires, so hope I can get it before that. When my youngest daughter applied (8 years ago) it took her 18 months, but my eldest just got hers earlier this year and it only took 6 months. This sounds silly, but I am scared I will fail the test!! I used to have a good memory, but the older I get (I'm 57) the worse my memory gets!
Charlie Girl - have you thought about just buying gift cards for your teenagers? Teenagers are the worst to buy for, I think. Even now, my children are adults and I just buy them a gift card - I usually get them something small to open (such as ear-rings - I have two daughters) but just buy gift-cards - not very imaginative, I know but it works!!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

TT, sorry been a bit down in the dumps since I got back, trying to get into Christmas and cant... 3 teenagers to buy for and well just been fed up, got so much to plan and take care of,things I cant post here, but anyway I do pop in for a read but it moves so fast, I dont always have time.

I wonder how Rodney is getting on, and Denise DDL please dont leave, love your postings.....

I take my oath on Friday morning at 8a.m and will be an American citizen and will apply for my passport right there and then.
Not sure if I posted that before about my oath, talk about senile "Cheers!"
Thinking of you all though even if i dont get here much at the moment.

Its flipping freezing out there isnt it TT.......hate it, makes me depressed!
Enjoy the ceremony Trotty, it is special to become a citizen of any country..
I know I was proud to become an American citizen years ago..
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

All the best for your move!!!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by trottytrue
I have alot of catching up to do but that cold and cough turned really nasty and I still have the cough but feeling much better.
Glad you're feeling better. Your cough will be the last thing to go - mine lasted about 5 weeks - thought it would never go away. Stay warm - it's freezing here in Ohio and there's about a foot of snow outside!!
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

We discussed becoming US Citizens at the start of this thread. Rodney didnt know whether to or not nor did I. But after looking at the pro's and con's it was decided it would be better to do it. I have 3 children who although born in the UK are Americans and their lives are rooted here. If for any reason any one of them needed me for a length of time I would be willing to come back and having the citizenship makes it easier. If I had a green card it would expire and then I would only be able to stay in the US for a period of time so I decided to go for it. I still have my UK passport.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to ask does anyone know what size a dog can be that goes under your seat on the plane. Can you buy a seat for a small dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.