Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Originally Posted by I like tea
To answer your question Quoll I live in Brisbane and as far as I know there is no one on this thread that lives near me. Please contact me if I am wrong in this regard. I work with great people but during the holidays or when someone leaves work the friendship just disapears. Likewise with neigbours I never see them.

So like many of the posters on here I feel I live a half life and am not fully engaged in society. It does affect my emotional welbeing and I can't see me retired and living here for that reason. It's bad enough in the holidays and that's only for a couple of weeks. I have tired volunteering, churches etc. but somehow nothing or no one has clicked with me so I have really stopped trying which I know is a defeatist attitude and not helpful.

I am hoping that I have enough stength to get through the next 2 years and finally live the life I want.
Have you considered posting on the Forum a thread asking if others are in your area?, Title it Brisbane, surely there are others its just a case of getting their attention, I sure wish there was an easier way to find others in our areas.

I sure understand your situation, Good Luck to you...
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.J
Hi Cheers,

Yes, we are about 4 miles from Sandringham. The house is open is summer to visit, gardens too. The surrounding park is open all the time, good for short walks, huge rhododendrons in Spring, majestic fir trees, Pick your own apples from orchards in autumn.
Queen and gang stay in Sandringham over Xmas, (she comes up on the regular train) Christmas Day the Royal family go to church on the estate, public can stand right there beside the the path they walk, maybe a crowd there this year to see the newly engaged couple.
We have been on some occasions, not this year though, have to travel to MIL / BIL for Christmas dinner.
Sometimes can come across Charlie and the guys in the local pub. Queen visits local WI.

yes, it does rain in England 'I think" For the 4 days we just had in London we were lucky, it rained only in the 1 hour prior to catching the train home. It's raining heavy here today though, looks to be set in to stay.
JJ, Charlie in Pub hahaaaaa thats cool, loved your London post too, made me want to give it a try.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:55 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

DDL, your photos are wonderful. That house is my dream house! Oh to have a wonderful country kitchen like that one, and those lovely tall windows.

Hope you get back safely.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DDL
We've been down in Devon on a family holiday for the past few days. 17 of us!

Here are some links to my pictures that are on my Facebook page (these are public links so you don't have to be on Facebook to access them).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=4c902989a0

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=10e37d9797

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=c9119ef032

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=075507f088 (I'm the one by the teapot)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=93f0675b1e

We're getting ready to leave a day early due to impending SNOW here in Devon and also back home in London.

Hope you enjoy these.
Hello Denise, thats a Beautiful Home and Devon is lovely, it looks like you had a great time, kids make Christmas, thanks for posting...

Take Care.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 4:04 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Here are some links to my pictures that are on my Facebook page (these are public links so you don't have to be on Facebook to access them).

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=075507f088 (I'm the one by the teapot)

We're getting ready to leave a day early due to impending SNOW here in Devon and also back home in London.

Hope you enjoy these.
Great pics DDL, it looks like everyone had a great time
Old Dec 16th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Our attention now is in Ayr. Where is that dogy?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 6:42 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Hope you enjoy these.
Lovely lovely pics Denise, looks like the kids had a ball. What a gorgeous house too, I could quite see myself living there if I had a spare million quid.

Barb
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Fabulous pictures Denise! Who said the weather curtailed your fun in UK? How wonderful to have everyone together having so much of a good time!
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
It's hard work - well not hard, but I have to use my brain quite a bit. It's rusty because I was only doing temp work for six months. Apparently, they think I am doing very well, though. I quite like it there. The people are very nice and I feel that I fit in.

Yes, I can't wait to get the first pay check. I am temporary until January 1, but even so I am getting paid close to what the permanent salary would be. On January 1, they bump it up which is very nice indeed.

Guess what - they have a UK office )))
someone has probably already said this (I haven't caught up yet)--but--you may be like BARB/beedubya and get offered a JOB in that UK office!!!! wouldn't that be awesome??

Tina
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DDL

Hope you enjoy these.
Thank you DDL/Denise! That graveyard teapot is amazing, and you are lovely! How great to see you enjoying your new adopted homeland...

let us hope the rest of us with USC spouses will be as lucky as Tony, and they take to life in England as you have...

Tina
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Crikey, can't keep up....

Ages ago, Rodney asked about "Bath Spa."
As people have said, Bath Spa is the official name of Bath on train timetables and such.

Then there are the Roman baths and ruins, a wonderful complex you can tour and see the hot water still bubbling up from the underground spring... amazing.

And then there is the modern spa called THERMAE (which is as you will all know is Latin for "hot springs" or "warm baths" ) which is a fabulous place, a range of prices for different services--massage, sauna, or just swim in the warm pools, one of which is on top of the building and in the open air--but warm--and you can look out over rooftops and Bath Abbey and everything as you paddle around in the warm water.

Bath is one of the most wonderful places in the world.

Tina.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I know, I know, I said I wasn't going to come back because it makes me miss England and I am moving to France!

But just have to say to CELTICSPIRIT, please don't leave, please don't be upset if some people's nostalgia is focused around food and if their lives are stable enough to spare time for this....or perhaps it is just a welcome distraction among difficult circumstances, for some...

your situation in the failing marriage, as you have said, and other details you can't go into, makes our hearts go out to you....I hope you've felt support on here, as well as lots of food talk!

We all have different circs and different problems of greater and lesser degrees..we're all here to support each other and cheer each other up...

keep your pecker up!!!

(A good old English expression that causes much hilarity among Americans, but it really does mean "chin," not what they think...I think the origin is sort of connected to idea of a bird's beak.)

Tina
Old Dec 16th 2010, 9:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

sallysimmons, i can't find the quote now (life's too short!) but you really made me laugh when you said the big welcome basket to new residents, as done Dahn South, would freak you out!

You are SO a New Yorker (I am married to one so I know)!

Tina
Old Dec 16th 2010, 10:39 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by between two worlds
sallysimmons, i can't find the quote now (life's too short!) but you really made me laugh when you said the big welcome basket to new residents, as done Dahn South, would freak you out!

You are SO a New Yorker (I am married to one so I know)!

That makes me quite proud! I may not know many people here but at least I fit in

Man, I hate the holidays. My husband isn't into Christmas at all, and I miss my family. The holiday cottage where we stayed in Kendal has a special offer for Christmas week because it's vacant. They're knocking £150 off the weekly rate. I was so tempted, but then I looked at flight prices and of course they are astronomical over Christmas, so any savings would be more than eaten up by the fare.

I will just have to wait until next year. Budget permitting, I'm planning a trip back on my own to see mum and another trip with my husband later in the year.

Does anyone else have plans to visit the UK next year?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sallysimmons, glad i made you feel proud to be "a New Yorker!!!"

I am sure i will visit UK next year (as I'll be in France, and therefore closer), but more immediately I am going w DH on Sunday for a big family Christmas with all the English side of the family, and our grown (American) kids will meet us there...

..fun, tho i don't know how i will be ready in time!

For many many many years we couldn't go back to UK at christmas, and i always missed my family dreadfully at Christmas time....so I am glad i am lucky enough to go this year.

Tina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.