Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK.

Thanks Rodney!
We missed your posts but thanks for thinking of us!
Bone voyage!
50 hours to go!

Bon voyage is a French phrase borrowed into English meaning, literally, "good journey", and usually translated as meaning "have a good trip".
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your interpretation of that article from the Telegraph about NHS for those returning home. Little bit of a relief really.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

I appreciate those who have posted from the other side and are home now
because we could start another list called "After the novelty wears off"

Do we fully realize how fortunate and blessed we are because when I read on another forum the loops and expense that Americans go through to emigrate to the UK and then having all the tests and more money to become citizens of the UK. Do you know how hard it is to even get a visa even if your spouse is British? Wow! Now they are going to limit the number of imagrants coming in.

Something I read and I'm all for (politics) is a campaign for the UK to leave the EU. Can't be soon enough for me and a couple of million other people.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:39 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Nobody commented on this the first time I posted.

I think this pertains to most of us. What gives?
Just the usual scare mongering by the media.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:42 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate those who have posted from the other side and are home now
because we could start another list called "After the novelty wears off"

Do we fully realize how fortunate and blessed we are because when I read on another forum the loops and expense that Americans go through to emigrate to the UK and then having all the tests and more money to become citizens of the UK. Do you know how hard it is to even get a visa even if your spouse is British? Wow! Now they are going to limit the number of imagrants coming in.
Something I read and I'm all for (politics) is a campaign for the UK to leave the EU. Can't be soon enough for me and a couple of million other people.
My understanding of thtis from politician's answers in programs such as Question Time and the like is that any immigration cap will not affect spouses of UK citizens.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:48 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
What you read in the "Daily Telegraph" would almost certainly be pertaining to 'health tourists'; these would be British citizens who live permanently overseas, have no intention of residing again in the UK but have chosen to come over for health treatment because it is unavailable or too expensive in their country of residence.

I remember chatting with a Jamaican lady who sold coffee and newspapers at our local train station (in a New Jersey suburb). She told me that most of her relatives in Jamaica would go to England and stay with other relatives there for a few weeks, purely to get treatment on the NHS. I think there has been a tightening up of this kind of abuse of NHS resources, but I guess there are many whom still slip through the net.

It's been going on for many years - when my daughter was born 26 years ago a section of the ward at the maternity hospital had to be closed off and the patient treated in isolation; I still remember her name - a Mrs Bibi had just flown in from Pakistan a few days before delivery and it turned out that she had TB...

I should also imagine that NHS receptionists (at local doctors' surgeries, in health clinics, hospitals etc.) are loathe to ask for proof of permanent or temporary work or student-related residence in the UK - first of all it's not their job to be immigration officers and decipher what all the stamps actually mean on visas in their passports (even if they ask to see them) and secondly they don't want to be accused of racism.
Some good points there Englishmum.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:51 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by jasper123
Hello everyone,
I have not been able to get on line for almost a week cause now Im at my friends house living for my last week in US and its difficult cause his computor is in his room, so very hard for me to access our thread and talk to all my friends on here,
So Im off on plane in a couple of days on Tuesday flight leaves for Gatwick 4.30pm 30th,
So Im very excited/nervous but all bags packed and Im good to go, when I get to England I will be checking in with ya all after a couple of days when I get a little settled with my Mum,
Until then all my friends on here, ------ fight the good fight, and NEVER let go of your dreams, ---- and one day that special wonderful day will arrive when we will all be over there in UK --- and we will have that reunion and we will all meet. ---- WOW what a wonderful day that will be Huh !!!!
Take care everyone.
I will post again when I get to England,
(CHEERIO) for now,
Rodney.

Woohooo!!!!

Bon Voyage Rodney have a pleasant and safe journey home. Looking forward to your first update from the old country.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:54 pm
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Easterndawn
Barb, congratulations on making the big decision and booking travel back home. You will be fine, you are worrying about all the same things that I worried about before I made the move.

Rodney, have a great flight home tomorrow and a wonderful renunion with your family. Wear the long johns though it is very cold and frosty here right now and they are saying it will last for a few weeks at least.

Went and got my TV yesterday from Curry's, decided to buy new at least that way I have warrenty. The price was good £249 for a 32" and it looks good on the mantle of the fireplace (it is a very sturdy mantle). Went down to one of my favourite charity shops and found a lovely little round table with four chairs for £25 and they delivered it today for £5.00. So now I am as cozy as a bug in a rug in my little flat and loving it more and more, so you see if I can do it anyone can.
Thanks Peigi, your flat sounds quite the little home from home now. Glad you are settling in more each day. Now with your 32" TV at least you won't have to squint. And that was a bargain on the table and chairs and just a fiver for delivery.

I had an email from my sister last night to tell me to quit worrying and to enjoy the journey LOL!!

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 28th 2010 at 5:58 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Welcome home Rodney!

See here what we have on tap for your arrival.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11853658

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11851037
just like Las Vegas only different!

Just come in through the front door, take off your coat and sit by the fire. You lucky sod.

Cheers!

Last edited by cheers; Nov 28th 2010 at 6:13 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Have a great flight, Rodney, and we look forward to hearing from you once you've settled in!

Tina
Old Nov 28th 2010, 7:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Is it possible to go by ship? I keep thinking of that option for myself.
For you it sounds a great way to go, many have posted on the main Moving Back To The UK bit about travelling in style on the Queen Mary 2 - extra baggage, better for your pets, etc.

For me a cruise ship is not an option, see below:

"50 years ago, a six-week sea voyage to Australia was the most affordable way of getting there. Now, the tables have turned, flying has become the affordable option, and only a couple of passenger ships cross the globe to Australia every year, costing upwards of £10,000 one-way"

Last edited by Beedubya; Nov 28th 2010 at 8:03 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

between two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween two worlds has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celticspirit
No....I will definitely go home. My two beautiful kids in NYC back me all the way even though sadly, they like my husband. My OH is not a bad guy.......just financially incompetent and we are in serious debt. He is more influenced by his family of origin who do not care for me one bit.......wished he had married a Greek gal instead of a "white bred" as they call me which is why he spent Thanksgiving with them and not me.
Can't wait to have concrete plans. It will be a while to get it all together. We need to sell the house first as this a community property state and I paid off 50% when we purchased. Life can be soooooo complicated.
I just hope one day we can all have a "family reunion" in the UK and also with Rodney (ARE YOU LISTENING RODNEY?????)
Was thinking of you and this email in the we hours this morning for some reason....so sad, your situation, and my heart goes out to you.

Re the "white bred" comment, I don't know if this is a typo--so easily done-- or influence from your experience with dog shows and breeding!!!! (sorry, this is gentle joke, hope not offending)--
--but I think the expression is "white bread," used to describe people and neighborhoods etc that are predominantly white Anglo-Saxon type, used by people of all backgrounds, including those very white AngloSaxon types sometimes, who wish for a bit more diversity...

...you will know this, but I thought others who may not have heard the expression might appreciate the clarification....

But anyway, it is such a shame if the family doesn't like you, and calls you "white bread" insultingly.....(tho it isn't always used insultingly, I don't think) ....that must add to your sense of alienation...

Sad indeed...so gald you feel you can talk to us on here about it.

Tina
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=MNandMN;9008528]
Originally Posted by dontheturner

You think you would get redress via Paypal if your car needed extensive repairs a month after you bought it on Ebay? I doubt it unless from a dealer with a warrenty, just giving the benefit of someone who has knowledge of others buying vehicles on Ebay to hopefully help others be cautious, you obviously don't need any advice at all though
I DIDN'T SAY DON'T TAKE ADVICE DID I? - and I did not say, I do not listen to others, either, DID I?

DO NOT BE SO RUDE

I THINK I DID SAY BE AWAre OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING.

Perhaps everyone should ask you, before purchasing?
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:32 pm
Just Joined

canadageoff is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Yes and if you get your skates on and book for February that will be 4 of us in the one month, that is a record I believe!!

Ah well we could come on here and have a whinge like I have done......there are lots of stories on this site, in the part called Moving Back To The UK that's where you will find all kinds of stories......plus I bet if you went to the Canada one you will find the ones who it didn't work out for..... and it doesn't for everybody, but I really can't see myself coming back here again to live unless I win the Lotto and can buy a place in both countries and have the money to fly back and forth visiting my daughter and her kids.....

You say Valerie has been back 3 times this year, did she stay for any length of time or was it just a quick visit? Yourself too? I know for me that flying quick visits to Australia are going to be out of the question........which is kind of how I came to be living back here.....mmmmm......

Very quick visits mostly.
Sometimes only for a week, There are some good deals from Toronto to Manchester.

We have booked a trip for Feb 20th to March 8th 2011, Flying into Manchester.
Apart from visiting our grand daughter we will also look a little more seriously about where we might want to live. We are going over to Belfast for 5 days and have a look around there. I also have an older brother living in Leicester.

Yes, Ireland is having financial problems right now, but that won't affect us as we are going to Northern Ireland.

I'll be 62 next June, I've worked for the same company for 27 years and can take the company pension at no penalty.
I'm tired of working, I started work as an apprentice at 15. Seems to me that kids don't start work until they are in early 20's then want to retire at 55.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadageoff
Very quick visits mostly.
Sometimes only for a week, There are some good deals from Toronto to Manchester.

We have booked a trip for Feb 20th to March 8th 2011, Flying into Manchester.
Apart from visiting our grand daughter we will also look a little more seriously about where we might want to live. We are going over to Belfast for 5 days and have a look around there. I also have an older brother living in Leicester.

Yes, Ireland is having financial problems right now, but that won't affect us as we are going to Northern Ireland.

I'll be 62 next June, I've worked for the same company for 27 years and can take the company pension at no penalty.
I'm tired of working, I started work as an apprentice at 15. Seems to me that kids don't start work until they are in early 20's then want to retire at 55.
Northern Ireland is just fine. I am a graduate of QUB and lived in Belfast my entire life before moving to Dallas in 1972.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.