Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Moving back to England was a mistake

Moving back to England was a mistake

Old Dec 30th 2003, 9:46 am
Just Joined

sharpener is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

Originally posted by goldy
We returned to England after 3 years living in the south of France. It has been a complete nightmare being back here and I'm afraid to say England is not the England that I grew up to know and love.

For those of you planning to return to England after a few years, you don't realise that things here have deteriorated quite markedly while you have been away.

Reasons why we will never live in England again and are already planning our escape:

(1) How much time do we waste stuck in traffic? On the M25? It really is a joke.

(2) We are worried about the safety of our children. You read stories all the time about crime rising. On the news the other day was a feature explaining how crime is alot worse here in most categories than in the USA!

(3) People here are not friendly. Noone offers to help round here anymore - not like back when I was a child. England has become an uptight, cold country where people's only concern is to rush around looking after their own interests.

(4) Illegal immigrants have got out of control and are wanting all sorts of things at the cost of taxpayers.

(5) You spend so long travelling to beaches yet when you get to them most have rubbish, needles and are very unattractive places to visit. Pathetic really.

(6) The weather. For 9 months of the year it's cold and miserable.

(7) Now they're worried about terrorism threats. Bin Laden has named England as a target and my guess is the unthinkable will happen here sooner or later.

(8) Cost of housing is astranomical. For those of you returning to England, you'll be in for a huge shock and will probably have to buy in a crime-infested area.
I agree with what you say goldy especially most people being unfriendly these days. My sister was mugged last month walking through their local park in the middle of the day!

It's just not safe for the kids in so many places - it really limits our lifestyle.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 1:02 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ontheball I rest my case.
I'll believe it when I see it.

As for arguing with facts, you seem to miss one important part of that process - presenting ALL the facts and being able to acknowledge and see facts that do not support your argument. Throughout my posts I have presented information that supports both sides. You, on the other hand, hide (from) contradictory facts and do not respond to questions relating to these contradictory "facts" - just one example: go and look back at my earlier post and see the line in red....

Damn it! Hooked again! Why do I do that?
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

ontheball is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunroving
I'll believe it when I see it.

As for arguing with facts, you seem to miss one important part of that process - presenting ALL the facts and being able to acknowledge and see facts that do not support your argument. Throughout my posts I have presented information that supports both sides. You, on the other hand, hide (from) contradictory facts and do not respond to questions relating to these contradictory "facts" - just one example: go and look back at my earlier post and see the line in red....

Damn it! Hooked again! Why do I do that?
Incorrect again. I'm simply presenting the numerous (30) cases where the crime situation is more serious in England than the USA. It goes without saying that there are some categories where the USA is higher.

As for the red line so what? I'm not going to go back into the report to verify it but can easily reply back by saying what I posted earlier:

"Grand total of recorded crimes" - the last year where both countries have a statistic is 1999. The rate per 100,000 for the USA is 8,517 while for England it's 9,766."
Old Dec 30th 2003, 5:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ontheball
As for the red line so what?

That typifies your consistent attitude. Whereas people on this site typically are able to acknowledge facts that contradict their argument, you just are unwillng to go there. I've acknowledged the contradictory evidence several times - for example, that the pattern of
prosecuted crimes (i.e., proven in court) in the UN report is not the same as the figures for recorded crimes (i.e., in the police system, before prosecution). No, England is not perfect regarding crimes. Some of the evidence indicates that for some crimes, it is worse than the US. Other evidence (such as the UN survey facts I reported, regarding prosecutions for severe violent crimes) indicates that the US rate for these crimes is 25 times the rate in the U.K. You've never once said "Oh yes, I see, maybe I was wrong when I said the rate of violent crimes is higher in the UK". You just harp on about the parts of the survey that support your assertion that the UK is more violent than the US, and dismiss the other evidence in the same report - see the page numbers in my previous posts as if it doesn't exist.

Since you joined this site, you've spent most of your efforts arguing with and insulting people on this thread. The people you are almost obsessively arguing with post on a whole range of topics, sometimes negatively, sometimes positively, but I'm beginnning to think from your obsessive negativity that you are what Jean said - a troll. I give you less than 6 months before you just disappear and we stop hearing from you.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by dunroving

prosecuted crimes (i.e., proven in court) in the UN report is not the same as the figures for recorded crimes (i.e., in the police system, before prosecution). No, England is not perfect regarding crimes. Some of the evidence indicates that for some crimes, it is worse than the US. Other evidence (such as the UN survey facts I reported, regarding prosecutions for severe violent crimes) indicates that the US rate for these crimes is 25 times the rate in the U.K. You've never once said "Oh yes, I see, maybe I was wrong when I said the rate of violent crimes is higher in the UK".
Incorrect. I have disassociated myself from that original post at least three times How many times do I have to do it before it sinks in? So nothing you have said has contradicted my subsequent argument.

As for me not being here in 6 months, try 1 month. By then, I'll be back in Italy enjoying my life with my family. Can't wait to leave the mess that England has become.
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:00 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

What are you looking for ontheball? Or are you just running from place to place?
Old Dec 30th 2003, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
What are you looking for ontheball? Or are you just running from place to place?
I'm not looking for anything. Happily married with 2 beautiful children and an excellent job in Italy.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 1:27 am
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not looking for anything. Happily married with 2 beautiful children and an excellent job in Italy.

Arrivederci tw@t

Scottm
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by scottm
Arrivederci tw@t

Scottm
Siete un perdente amaro triste
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:32 pm
Dez
Just Joined

Dez is an unknown quantity at this point

unbelievable the comment about illegal immigrants... jesus... did you poll every "non English person" you saw just to make sure of their immigration status?

What's with you and your collonial perspective... its nice that middle-aged whiteys with kids can jet all over Europe compairing it to their home country then come back and complain about immigrants!

SHARE THE PLANET YOU UNGRATEFUL FACIST

why can't we all just get along... jesus... attitiudes like that make the world a dangerous place....
Old Dec 31st 2003, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Incorrect. I have disassociated myself from that original post at least three times How many times do I have to do it before it sinks in? So nothing you have said has contradicted my subsequent argument.

As for me not being here in 6 months, try 1 month. By then, I'll be back in Italy enjoying my life with my family. Can't wait to leave the mess that England has become.
Have you ever heard of labouring the point? We are not all obtuse so thanks, you've made your point (with help from some tedious statistics), feel free to head off to Italy where crime, corruption and bigotry are unheard of. Give my regards to Berlusconi!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Moving back to England was a mistake

Originally posted by sharpener
I agree with what you say goldy especially most people being unfriendly these days. My sister was mugged last month walking through their local park in the middle of the day!

It's just not safe for the kids in so many places - it really limits our lifestyle.
And this of course is unheard of elsewhere in the world!
Old Jan 1st 2004, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

scottm is an unknown quantity at this point

Siete un perdente amaro triste

Your the sad loser, on this forum, offtheball:lecture:

Scottm
Old Jan 1st 2004, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by muppetking
Have you ever heard of labouring the point? We are not all obtuse so thanks, you've made your point (with help from some tedious statistics), feel free to head off to Italy where crime, corruption and bigotry are unheard of. Give my regards to Berlusconi!
Have you ever heard of people having different perspectives? If you don't like it, display some intelligence and don't read it.

Old Jan 1st 2004, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by scottm
Your the sad loser, on this forum, offtheball:lecture:

Scottm
LOL, dream on. You can't even spell "you're" correctly.

Some of you sad people seem to live on this forum - for me it's a brief visit until family matters here are resolved.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.