Location, location, location

Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...=3.0&index=100

Might be too far West, but try around Lydney and the Wye Valley. Prices are more reasonable... for the most part.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32890655.html
Hi Iam... , Thanks for posting.
(Great name) Undoubtedly more for the money. This particular property is sandwiched between a busy road and the railway lines but I shall take a look.

It's all Mallory's fault ... I really like what I have seen of the Totnes area. Shall keep looking into that for the moment, then take a look in these other areas.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
This more like our price range luckily I know exactly where they are and 1st on backs onto the junior school the second is round the corner from it.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-30822320.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28671307.html

Or this on the top of the hill.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-33205475.html
Certainly good prices. For myself, I don't want to be on housing estate. Is this where you are from? or where you would like to live? or are you making a suggestion?
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by johnh009
Maybe this will also help:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...6&in_page_id=8

Considering that house prices increased by 300% between 1997 and 2007, a 25% drop seems like a drop in the ocean.
That was a VERY interesting article John. I read also some of the articles referenced at the foot of that one and find this one of particular interest:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/mortgag...page_id=8&ct=5

... the gist of which is that sellers are overly optimistic in the pricing of homes which is stalling the market as they are priced beyond what sellers can, or are willing to, afford. I think there is no doubt that interest rates are on the rise. Here in Canada they are predicting a 2% rise in interest rates by the end of the year. I, and others like Pistolpete, feel that house prices will have to come down.
Even though I haven't yet listed my own house, I feel the process of researching areas of choice and the price of houses in those areas is an important one so that we can keep an eye on what is actually happening.
I haven't yet looked at how long some of these houses have been on the market but I think that would also be good to know.
Thanks again.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by aries
Do you know the WW2 history of Slapton Sands when 946 American servicemen lost their lives there rehearsing for D-Day? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exercise_Tiger

I knew Slapton quite well as a child, especially the day I was extremely sunburnt.

A real Devonshire cream tea sounds inviting.
What a chilling story. A comedy of errors but no laughing matter. Thank you for sharing that bit of history.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 5:48 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bandrui
Hi Iam... , Thanks for posting.
(Great name) Undoubtedly more for the money. This particular property is sandwiched between a busy road and the railway lines but I shall take a look.

It's all Mallory's fault ... I really like what I have seen of the Totnes area. Shall keep looking into that for the moment, then take a look in these other areas.
That got me thinking about where that particular house is, as I know the area from my past. The railway line is actually the Dean Forest railway, an old steam line. Not really a working line.

http://www.deanforestrailway.co.uk/
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:03 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

How about the Beckham's old pad?

If it's good enough for David and Victoria it's good enough for the likes of us LOL!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31687109.html
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh. I see you like the contemporary stylings!

I like the light maybe it's after living in Australia for so long?

I also like space, ditto, but I can only buy this pad if I can afford a cleaner, mind you if I win big on Lotto I can afford anything I like.

Oh and of course I love the LOCATION.

Last edited by Beedubya; Apr 22nd 2011 at 6:16 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Great thread is this.

Oh, and I want to be within a mile of a pub so that I can go for a drink, a little social life, and walk home
Way to go girl.

I see you are feeling drawn to Totnes. Not at all bad and not too far fromt he coast.
Marlborough is a simply beautiful town IMVHO but is a bit landlocked.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
That got me thinking about where that particular house is, as I know the area from my past. The railway line is actually the Dean Forest railway, an old steam line. Not really a working line.

http://www.deanforestrailway.co.uk/
Aha! These things are important to know.

And I just looked at the railway site. Looks like a blast but in terms of the house? Do I need my tranquillity disturbed by Thomas the Tank Engine full of screaming kids? Guess! LOL

Last edited by bandrui; Apr 22nd 2011 at 6:49 am. Reason: Adding...
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Great thread is this.

Way to go girl.

I see you are feeling drawn to Totnes. Not at all bad and not too far fromt he coast.
Marlborough is a simply beautiful town IMVHO but is a bit landlocked.
Aye, it is that. I keep coming back to the sea myself. I can't get past Totnes at the moment (Thanks Mallory ) but I've said this before.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 6:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Beedubya
How about the Beckham's old pad?

If it's good enough for David and Victoria it's good enough for the likes of us LOL!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-31687109.html
I see they like those period places too! Wonder what their LA pad looks like.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

That was a VERY interesting article John. I read also some of the articles referenced at the foot of that one and find this one of particular interest:

... the gist of which is that sellers are overly optimistic in the pricing of homes which is stalling the market as they are priced beyond what sellers can, or are willing to, afford. I think there is no doubt that interest rates are on the rise. Here in Canada they are predicting a 2% rise in interest rates by the end of the year. I, and others like Pistolpete, feel that house prices will have to come down.
Even though I haven't yet listed my own house, I feel the process of researching areas of choice and the price of houses in those areas is an important one so that we can keep an eye on what is actually happening.
I haven't yet looked at how long some of these houses have been on the market but I think that would also be good to know.
Thanks again.
I have just returned to the UK and am looking to buy a home. Despite the downturn in the market, good properties are hard to find. Some you cannot even view properly because of all the clutter. What amazes me is that, as a cash buyer, with almost 50% of properties that I enquire about, the agent never gets back to me. I cannot imagine that ever happening in Canada. This is the famous UK customer service. An oxymoron if ever I heard one. If you do get good customer service, then it is because the person you are dealing with is a professional, that's all.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 22nd 2011 at 11:45 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again.
If UK interest rates are on the price and prices are at an all-time high, I would think the number of purchases is going to decrease so either house prices or interest rates have to give at some point - or both.
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:02 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I have just returned to the UK and am looking to buy a home. Despite the downturn in the market, good properties are hard to find. Some you cannot even view properly because of all the clutter. What amazes me is that, as a cash buyer, with almost 50% of properties that I enquire about, the agent never gets back to me. I cannot imagine that ever happening in Canada. This is the famous UK customer service. An oxymoron if ever I heard one. If you get good customer service, then it is because the person you are dealing with is a professional, that's all.
That's an interesting comment, John. When we left the UK 30 yrs ago, customer service in shops was terrible and, in marked comparison, the customer service in stores in the USA was really good. It's gone downhill over time but there are always fluctuations.

Incredible to think customer service in the UK has not improved. Ahhhh - good old Britain
Old Apr 22nd 2011, 11:08 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by windsong
That's an interesting comment, John. When we left the UK 30 yrs ago, customer service in shops was terrible and, in marked comparison, the customer service in stores in the USA was really good. It's gone downhill over time but there are always fluctuations.

Incredible to think customer service in the UK has not improved. Ahhhh - good old Britain
The worst thing is, I wonder if the people who are selling these homes know how their agents are not performing. They are probably sat there wondering why their houses are not selling. That is not to say all organisations give bad service, but I'll bet in the US, if you make a real estate enquiry, the agents will be swarming all over you.

And I have yet to find a shower that can deliver a constant stream of hot water.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 22nd 2011 at 11:44 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.