Location, location, location

Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
You can check it on either Zoopla, nethouseprices.com or rightmove if you know the post code. Zoopla's attempts at estimates regarding current prices and rents are pretty airy-fairy though.
In Zoopla at least, you don't need the postal code... just the street name (which will bring up info for all properties in the street) and I think it is Zoopla where I entered a village name and received info for all properties in the village.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:05 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
That's why we have "Subject to" clauses in the agreement here. The offer is a legal commitment subject to conditions; if the conditions are met the offer is legal and binding; if not, then the offer is no longer binding.
The 2 most common "subject to" clauses are building inspection and financing.
After hearing about being gazzumped or whatever it's called I think US house sales/buying is much more straight forward, the deposit at the time of agreeing to the price only has to be small to "in good faith" we only gave $1 the legal minimum for this house, then the proper deposit came later once we were signing all the paperwork and getting the keys.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
Although part of my ancestry is from Wales I think of the witches in some places I've been in 'deep' Wales so maybe thats what you can't put your finger on.
Would you expand on that Cheers?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

A really lovely property Cheers! Berkshire would be a very desirable location but I don't even dare look at properties there.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
My very favorites are Location, Location, Location and its sister show, creatively entitled Relocation, Relocation, Relocation. They're on Channel 4 and have been on for years and years, so you'll have lots to catch up on.
I have been watching these 2 shows for years and really enjoyed them. For some reason they are not on here anymore (used to be on HGTV) but I've seen lots of them twice so perhaps it's now in the can.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
My very favorites are Location, Location, Location and its sister show, creatively entitled Relocation, Relocation, Relocation. They're on Channel 4 and have been on for years and years, so you'll have lots to catch up on.

There's also one about homes by the sea whose name escapes me, 'A Place in the Sun, Home or Away' and then there are the renovation shows like Sarah Beeny's show, or the building from scratch shows like Grand Designs. 'Build a new life in the Country' is good too - very cute presenter! - but that's about people who have already bought a place and are doing it up.

I know it sounds like I must do nothing but watch TV but it's not true! I spend a lot of time cooking and I play these in the background while I work.

Edited to add: I also recommend DIY SOS which is like 60 minute makeover only they redo a whole house in 10 days - it's just a fun show.
My friend's son Ben (the one in Brighton whose email I posted) works in television and used to work on a show on BBC called "Britain's Empty Houses" about do-it-uppers.
He also recommended this site for those who might want to take on a reno:

http://www.barnsetc.co.uk/

(It always tickles me that Ben has a Masters in International Relations and used to work for Lloyd's in London. Hated it, ditched it all to go and teach English in Japan and now works in television! )
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:27 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thanks so much, Sally. Are these programs all on Channel 4?
I dont think they all are but I have no idea because I just download them as torrent files from The Box and watch them on my iPad, so I never learn what channel they're on. I think some of them are on smaller cable channels. Just google the titles and I'm sure you'll find them.

I know 4oD does't work with some of the proxy systems but it's well worth finding a way to watch them (I believe theres an equivalent to Hulu in the UK and also Channel 4 posts a lot of their shows on Youtube for UK viewers only). Of the ones I mentioned, the highest quality shows are DIY SOS, Grand Designs, Location Location Location and Relocation Relocation. They're all much better than Escape to the Country and Wreck or Ready IMO.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 10:28 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
My friend's son Ben (the one in Brighton whose email I posted) works in television and used to work on a show on BBC called "Britain's Empty Houses" about do-it-uppers.
Ha! Watched that one too! (Help, I think I have a problem).
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Pete gave us some listings for the great manors so this is my entry.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32844521.html
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

(your choice of expletives)!!!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:43 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

That is STUNNING!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

For the West Dorset portfolio:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/201...od-restaurants

Watch those calories!
Old Apr 26th 2011, 12:39 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Now that's different! Could be lovely,

Bev
Old Apr 26th 2011, 7:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been able to find out what exactly is for sale on this property Cheers? Is it a short lease, is it the #13 that's the problem, why is it still for sale, along with several others in the house, after six months on the market?

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 26th 2011 at 9:22 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Have you been able to find out what exactly is for sale on this property Cheers? Is it a short lease, is it the #13 that's the problem, why is it still for sale, along with several others in the house, after six months on the market?

I thought you would be telling me. You can look up that country house on Google and one of the sites will mention that there are serious repairs needed on the building roof. They may have been taken care of by now???

http://countryhouses.wordpress.com/2...-house-rescue/

However the sheer scale of the house means that the average annual maintenance bill is about £42,000 – and due to extensive and significant work required to maintain a house of this quality, that bill is expected to double in 2011, posing serious problems for the residents. Extensive restoration is now required as the house is now suffering from a catalogue of issues including failing plasterwork as water penetrates through the coffered ceiling of the main hall.

Last edited by cheers; Apr 26th 2011 at 9:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.