Location, location, location

Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by cheers
Plenty of garden here and a nice kitchen and you can walk to the sea.

£249000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18136906.html
Again very good value for money. A lovely house. Not a fan of the oil central heating though and though I really enjoyed my travels through Wales, there was this sense of "gloominess" in the samller towns that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Perhaps due to economic conditions.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
So can other offers be made while a property is Under Offer? Can the seller retract and accept a higher offer?
Would this be the case when we see "Offers in excess of £x" as the price on Rightmove?
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I had the exact same thought. But I could live with that kitchen for a while if it meant having that bathroom, and the river running through my garden Of course, that river is one of the fastest-flowing rivers in England and it rains a lot there so flood insurance might be a problem.

This one doesn't have any such problems, so I might go for it instead
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-28898446.html

That is very beautiful Sally, and really tastefully finished in all regards.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bandrui
Perhaps you need expat shield or similar to view this. I got a "404 - Page not found".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programme...nt/9463155.stm
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Would this be the case when we see "Offers in excess of £x" as the price on Rightmove?
In England and Wales that's just the guide. In Scotland that's the way you do their sealed bids.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Location Location Location

A little bit more sheltered down the hill to the east.

Anyone for bowls?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-18130524.html
Fantastic. I've always wanted a library. And that greenhouse... WOW!
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cheers
Now we're talking! Now if I could find that in England for the same price.
Old Apr 24th 2011, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rockbeare just east of Exeter, close to the airport, but not too close, and close to Whimple for rail.

Clearly Rockbeare is a desirable locale.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32308445.html
Old Apr 25th 2011, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Not sure, maybe they are just trying to establish a minimum price in this case. I am sure when a property is "Under Offer" that other offers can be placed. Isn't that what they call gazumping?
Old Apr 25th 2011, 11:16 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, maybe they are just trying to establish a minimum price in this case. I am sure when a property is "Under Offer" that other offers can be placed. Isn't that what they call gazumping?
Yes. It happened to me in the past - it's very common because in the UK system there's no legal commitment until quite late in the process. Here in the US, once you make your offer, you have to put it in writing and pay a deposit. If you back out after that, you lose your deposit. I think that's a better system.

It's also very common in the UK for buyers to back out quite a while after they've placed their offer. Because there's no legal commitment, they are free to do it and it causes all kinds of problems.

And something that's now happening more frequently in the UK is "gazundering" (stupid word!). This is when you offer to buy a property, your offer is accepted and everything proceeds. Then just before you're due to sign contracts, you go back to the vendor and say that you've decided the house isn't worth as much as you thought and you're now only willing to pay X amount. This leaves the vendor having to either accept your lower offer or start looking for a new buyer all over again.

Last edited by sallysimmons; Apr 25th 2011 at 11:19 am.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's also very common in the UK for buyers to back out quite a while after they've placed their offer. Because there's no legal commitment, they are free to do it and it causes all kinds of problems.
Yes, but on the other side of the table that is why the issue of gazumping is looked upon so poorly in the UK. Buyers engage the services of a lawyer and typically a surveyor to check over the property as soon as their offer is accepted. So they are already starting to accumulate buyer costs. The surveyor could uncover issues which mean there is a need for price adjustment or justifiable withdrawal, such as subsidence, serious rising damp, mundic or whatever. The lawyer could uncover right of way or strange title issues which similarly trigger a withdrawal. On the other hand they could have done all of this investigative work and still be prepared to go and the vendor gazumps.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that it's looked on unfavorably by some and I would never do it. I'm just saying it's very common.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree that it's looked on unfavorably by some and I would never do it. I'm just saying it's very common.
Indeed it is very common and I'm thinking that in a thinnish (low sales volume) market as we have right now and where there is no consensus as to where prices are going from one month (or often one week) to the next plus good seasonal weather which puts their property in a better "light" you could see more vendors having second thoughts about that offer they just accepted in terms of price.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

So a property under offer is not an accepted offer, only potentially.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

So a property under offer is not an accepted offer, only potentially.
I wouldn't say not an accepted offer because there has been an offer and it has been accepted but offer and acceptance does not mean there is a contract under the laws of contract in this case as there still has to be the actual exchange of the contracts, at which point it then becomes sold subject to contract.

In contract law you have to be clear as to what it is you are actually dealing with therefore with the price offer and acceptance you've tied down the price bit. When you exchange contracts you've ironed out exactly what condition the property is in and what "strings" are or are not attached to the property inside and out.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Apr 25th 2011 at 12:47 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.