Location, location, location

Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:47 pm
  #46  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by windsong View Post
That's an excellent idea, Barb!

Heck, I am subscribed to over 60 threads now so a few more are fine with me
Oh I am not as many as that, but I am on way more than just the over 50's and 60's, it's a wide wonderful world on BE if only people knew that it was out there.
Beedubya is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 10:56 pm
  #47  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
Oh I am not as many as that, but I am on way more than just the over 50's and 60's, it's a wide wonderful world on BE if only people knew that it was out there.
Yes, it is. There are so many useful resources here. I really find it helpful and supportive (most of the time)
windsong is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:10 pm
  #48  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Well, I have been looking into some of those areas put forth on the list and there are some possibilities.

I was originally thinking that Totnes might be a little far out of my zone but it has some definite pluses:
less than 5 miles to the coast, a nice size town with hilly views, access to Exeter and to highways for points East, has a rail station, close to Dartmoor. All in all, definitely worth pursuing.

Uffington is very pretty but is not very well placed for access to other places except by car.

I am also noticing a few things about properties:
- mid-terrace are usually dark but end terrace are much better,
- often the bedrooms of period cottages are under the slanted roof which can feel a bit claustrophobic,
- oil heating is out for me, gas heating is better and still would like a woodstove for that extra winter cosiness, but as a supplementary form of heat.
- much heat is lost through open fireplaces but woodstoves put out some serious heat.
- standard semi s on the edge of a village or town can still give a rural feel.

For each property, beyond all the pros and cons, I ask myself "How would I feel living here?" If the answer is not good, then I nix the property. We must have a good feeling about the home we live in; we spend so much time there.

Back to more research....
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 20th 2011, 11:53 pm
  #49  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Brixham, Devon
Posts: 311
HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Well, I have been looking into some of those areas put forth on the list and there are some possibilities.

I was originally thinking that Totnes might be a little far out of my zone but it has some definite pluses:
less than 5 miles to the coast, a nice size town with hilly views, access to Exeter and to highways for points East, has a rail station, close to Dartmoor. All in all, definitely worth pursuing.

Uffington is very pretty but is not very well placed for access to other places except by car.

I am also noticing a few things about properties:
- mid-terrace are usually dark but end terrace are much better,
- often the bedrooms of period cottages are under the slanted roof which can feel a bit claustrophobic,
- oil heating is out for me, gas heating is better and still would like a woodstove for that extra winter cosiness, but as a supplementary form of heat.
- much heat is lost through open fireplaces but woodstoves put out some serious heat.
- standard semi s on the edge of a village or town can still give a rural feel.

For each property, beyond all the pros and cons, I ask myself "How would I feel living here?" If the answer is not good, then I nix the property. We must have a good feeling about the home we live in; we spend so much time there.

Back to more research....
We have visitors from Canada here at the moment and today took them to Ashburton which is a really lovely little town on the edge of Dartmoor. Then went right up on the moors to the little village of Widecombe in the Moor. Back through Totnes which in my mind is a really lovely town and seems to have most of the qualities you are looking for. A wonderful Arts community and a terrific Friday Market. It's even on the main line to London Paddington. Great cafe culture and great non chain shops.
HighTide is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:07 am
  #50  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by HighTide View Post
We have visitors from Canada here at the moment and today took them to Ashburton which is a really lovely little town on the edge of Dartmoor. Then went right up on the moors to the little village of Widecombe in the Moor. Back through Totnes which in my mind is a really lovely town and seems to have most of the qualities you are looking for. A wonderful Arts community and a terrific Friday Market. It's even on the main line to London Paddington. Great cafe culture and great non chain shops.
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I've found my home! Only problem is I shall have to round up a few extra £100k. There's always a down-side. (Don't you think that statue looks like Jack Benny?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32938238.html
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:13 am
  #51  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 68
Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I've found my home! Only problem is I shall have to round up a few extra £100k. There's always a down-side. (Don't you think that statue looks like Jack Benny?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32938238.html
Hi Bandrui,

Lovely property. I had a great out to Marlborough today but too tired to report my findings tonight (out with a friend to another pub! - you cider was very nice).
Sazzer is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:18 am
  #52  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Brixham, Devon
Posts: 311
HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I've found my home! Only problem is I shall have to round up a few extra £100k. There's always a down-side. (Don't you think that statue looks like Jack Benny?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32938238.html
What can I say ! It is beautiful...........love the table and chairs by the babbling brook.....champagne too I see We must have gone by it today as it is in Dartington or very close to it.
HighTide is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:28 am
  #53  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

And another at half the price...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32382527.html
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:29 am
  #54  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Sazzer View Post
Hi Bandrui,

Lovely property. I had a great out to Marlborough today but too tired to report my findings tonight (out with a friend to another pub! - you cider was very nice).
Glad you enjoyed my cider. Go have a nice sleep... and then report in!
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 12:30 am
  #55  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
bandrui's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Salt Spring Island, BC, Canada
Posts: 2,060
bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by HighTide View Post
What can I say ! It is beautiful...........love the table and chairs by the babbling brook.....champagne too I see We must have gone by it today as it is in Dartington or very close to it.
I am really loving this area of the country and hadn't seriously considered it until recently. Seems to have a whole lot of pluses.
bandrui is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 1:04 am
  #56  
The Brit is back
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NS, Canada 2007-2013. Now....England!
Posts: 2,208
Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I've found my home! Only problem is I shall have to round up a few extra £100k. There's always a down-side. (Don't you think that statue looks like Jack Benny?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32938238.html
OMG I want that house, it's gorgeous
Lorry1 is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 2:43 am
  #57  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,100
windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I've found my home! Only problem is I shall have to round up a few extra £100k. There's always a down-side. (Don't you think that statue looks like Jack Benny?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32938238.html
Ohhhhh, that is the nicest house I have seen to date on Rightmove. If I had £850,000 I would buy it instantly! It is lovely!
windsong is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 7:32 am
  #58  
Home Sweet Home
 
Beedubya's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 5,128
Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by bandrui View Post
Excellent. Thanks for that.

I've found my home! Only problem is I shall have to round up a few extra £100k. There's always a down-side. (Don't you think that statue looks like Jack Benny?)

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-32938238.html

OMG that house is SERIOUSLY gorgeous!!! Thanks for finding it for me Linda for when I win lotto!!! I can just see myself wandering around there in my latest designer fashions ha ha!!!

I think the statue looks like Mr Swindley from Coronation Street LOL!!
Beedubya is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:06 am
  #59  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Brixham, Devon
Posts: 311
HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: Location, location, location

Originally Posted by Beedubya View Post
I think the statue looks like Mr Swindley from Coronation Street LOL!!
HighTide is offline  
Old Apr 21st 2011, 8:11 am
  #60  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Brixham, Devon
Posts: 311
HighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant futureHighTide has a brilliant future
Default Re: Location, location, location

Off again in the car today to show our friends a little more of Devon. We will drive to Kingswear and then take the little ferry over the River Dart to Dartmouth. After that the plan is to head down the coast towards Slapton Sands. No more planning after that....but most likely will find a good Devon Cream Tea.
HighTide is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.