Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 14th 2008, 5:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is not a case of being rude.

If someone is going to make insulting generalisations about a country or indeed a whole class of people then they must expect to be asked to explain or justify what they say.
Well, exactly. Screaming "personal attack" every time ezzie's opinions get criticized is pretty silly. I've found her postings fascinating, but that doesn't mean that what she writes should be immune from criticism and/or non-agreement.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:32 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting day at the shopping centre!

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
This chav doesn`t seem very depressed!!!

But then again chavs will suffer from depression like anybody else. Point being though, that its very easy to judge an obese person as you have done. The reality is though, that their lives and situations are far more complex than you have given them credit for and to suggest that they are a drain on the NHS system is ludricous. Its like saying that somebody that has worked in a factory or in a mine and due to their harmful environment develops cancer, Should they be denied as well as they probably knew the risk from working there? Obesity is an illness and should be treated as such. Personally if I was UK based I`d rather my contributions went to the treatment or help of say a depressed, ill or obese person than to your average chav.
You can choose what you put in your mouth. You can't always choose your working conditions.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:39 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice
Angry Re: An interesting day at the shopping centre!

Originally Posted by Grayling
It is also a huge problem in Australia.

I am not sure what your agenda is here

Things are no different in Australia so why do you keep on about it?
'Hear hear' as a silent reader, i have to say i am getting a bit bored with Ezzies posts. She doesn't realise how lucky she is, having the opportunity for her little holiday before she decides to come back. Some people come back with limited funds and just get on with it. I for one hope she stays in Oz.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:08 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessiree
'Hear hear' as a silent reader, i have to say i am getting a bit bored with Ezzies posts. She doesn't realise how lucky she is, having the opportunity for her little holiday before she decides to come back. Some people come back with limited funds and just get on with it. I for one hope she stays in Oz.
What did the Aussies do wrong?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

Dessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really niceDessiree is just really nice

[QUOTE=cricket1;7066834]What did the Aussies do wrong?[/QUOTE

Ha ha, very good point
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:31 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
You can choose what you put in your mouth. You can't always choose your working conditions.
The point is not what people put into their mouths but the reasons why they do it, for some its just a bad habit but for others its a sickness and like any sickness or bad habit that leads to sickness, it should be treated. Should serial smokers be denied NHS treatment for lung cancer? Should alcoholics be denied NHS treatment for liver cancer? All knew the risks of what they were doing but should they along with obese people be denied NHS treatment?

The vast majority of people these days do have the opportunity to work in decent conditions especially in first world contries. Whether they decide to or not is another question.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:40 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

The point is not what people put into their mouths but the reasons why they do it, for some its just a bad habit but for others its a sickness and like any sickness or bad habit that leads to sickness, it should be treated. Should serial smokers be denied NHS treatment for lung cancer? Should alcoholics be denied NHS treatment for liver cancer? All knew the risks of what they were doing but should they along with obese people be denied NHS treatment?

The vast majority of people these days do have the opportunity to work in decent conditions especially in first world contries. Whether they decide to or not is another question.
not read the last few posts but just have to say :

GISSUS A PINTA CIDER...LUV ....
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Budawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond reputeBudawang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dessiree
Hey, this is Ezzie's thread. Nobody's forcing you to read it. If you don't like what she has to say, why do you keep reading her posts? I for one, find Ezzie's comments a lot more sophisticated than much of the superficial banter you get on this forum. She's obviously got a brain and uses it.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:43 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
not read the last few posts but just have to say :

GISSUS A PINTA CIDER...LUV ....
Thought I was on your ignore list?

Honey I`d have a pint of cider with you anytime
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:44 pm
Banned

Well who knows? Maybe after the current wake up call about the correction on the value of money, the next big wake up call is going to be about taking personal responsibility for one's health instead of making excuses not to.
We'll have to agree to disagree because I work in fashion and frankly I see a lot of young overweight women binge drinking and eating because they can, not because they're ill. I see young mothers feed their children absolute rubbish because they're lazy, not because they don't have time. I work in this environment and I see it at grass roots level. It's an attitude mostly not an illness. Maybe on the Gold Coast, the decadent lifestyle means we see more of it here.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 7:55 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Well who knows? Maybe after the current wake up call about the correction on the value of money, the next big wake up call is going to be about taking personal responsibility for one's health instead of making excuses not to.
We'll have to agree to disagree because I work in fashion and frankly I see a lot of young overweight women binge drinking and eating because they can, not because they're ill. I see young mothers feed their children absolute rubbish because they're lazy, not because they don't have time. I work in this environment and I see it at grass roots level. It's an attitude mostly not an illness. Maybe on the Gold Coast, the decadent lifestyle means we see more of it here.
I`ll agree with you, that parents shouldn`t allow their children to eat rubbish etc After all its the parents responsibilty. Point I am continuing to make, is that there is a very thin line between certain bad habits and certain illnesses. We live in a society where stress, depression etc invoke people to do a lot of things that they shouldn`t do. What qualifies us to judge these people without knowing the true facts behind their situation.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Budawang
Hey, this is Ezzie's thread. Nobody's forcing you to read it. If you don't like what she has to say, why do you keep reading her posts? I for one, find Ezzie's comments a lot more sophisticated than much of the superficial banter you get on this forum. She's obviously got a brain and uses it.
I am entitled to my opinion.....as are you
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:28 pm
Banned

I`ll agree with you, that parents shouldn`t allow their children to eat rubbish etc After all its the parents responsibilty. Point I am continuing to make, is that there is a very thin line between certain bad habits and certain illnesses. We live in a society where stress, depression etc invoke people to do a lot of things that they shouldn`t do. What qualifies us to judge these people without knowing the true facts behind their situation.
Sometimes you have to judge. It's the only way to get things changed. When I see a mother buy her child a cup of chips for a dollar so she can spend what's left on clothes for herself, I can't help but judge this kind of person as doing something that is wrong not only for her child but for society in general. Children deserve good food and they only get this through the nurturing of a good parent. Neither can you suggest that money is a problem because a banana costs only 50 cents and is far healthier so it's about choice which costs nothing except knowledge which is also free.
You are correct, who are we to judge but if we apply the judgement fairly as a society making allowances where necessary and applying restrictions also where necessary, then you are reacting to and apprehending certain attitudes which can if left to develop, grow into a social nuisance, which is obviously what Ezzie is noticing in the UK. However, you cannot make sweeping judgements categorising all 'chavs' or single mothers for example as being the main drain on society and that this is the main problem affecting Britain.

Incidentally, just to draw a parallel and just because it gives me a sense of everything that is good about Britain because it seems that it's too easy to focus on the not so good, you only have to look at the amazing minds and the entreprenurial brains that Britain has reared to know that we are still one of the best countries in the world. The British television and film making is the best in the world, Richard Branson is hugely successful, our sporting stars and medical researchers are world class, Emily Pankhurst gave women the right to vote, Winston Churchill guided us through the war, David Attenborough showed us the magic of our animal planet, the Beatles, our fantastic musicians, the list goes on

Yep, definately proud to be a Brit despite all that seems wrong.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Hey, this is Ezzie's thread. Nobody's forcing you to read it. If you don't like what she has to say, why do you keep reading her posts?
It's a thread started by ezzie that people are free to read/not read and free to comment on/not comment on as they see fit.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 10:34 pm
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

By todays standards, we would have been called chavs.
So did you strutt around with your Burberry cap on, comparing ya bling with ya mates ?? Smoking your head off, not giving a shit ??

If so "yes" you would have been called a chav

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.