Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Wikiposts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 14th 2008, 12:08 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting day at the shopping centre!

Originally Posted by Budawang
Hey, this is Ezzie's thread. Nobody's forcing you to read it. If you don't like what she has to say, why do you keep reading her posts? I for one, find Ezzie's comments a lot more sophisticated than much of the superficial banter you get on this forum. She's obviously got a brain and uses it.
As opposed to the superficial crap in the barbie you mean?

And just how much positive contribution do YOU make to this forum? Or are you just in here for a superficial dig like many of the other flame throwers on this thread?

I find it quite laughable that those of us who are merely challenging and critising her opinions are somehow rude, yet it is perfectly acceptable to slag off and make sweeping assertions and generalizations against whole sectors of a society, no matter WHAT sector it is, and it is perfectly ok? At least myself and some others have the decency and balls to front up and challenge a person directly and in the open instead of making comments on masse about people they know nothing about individually. They then have the audacity to claim they are somehow superior based on what? Their need to feel "better" than those around them. Smells of THEIR inner insecurity and need for oneupmanship if you ask me.
I dont need to make sweeping judgements, but prefer to deal with individuals by what they do, what they say and how they treat me as a person.
Far more honest, and much less rude in my opinion.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 2:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Ezzie.

I wonder if you would consider continuing your posts in the form of a BE blog please. I'm asking this as a BE user, not a moderator. I would really like to be able to continue to follow this journal of yours but can quite see why you may have given up on your thread .

You could perhaps copy and paste your previous posts into the blog to keep the journal complete and on-going.

Hoping you will consider this
BEVS
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:29 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Thought I was on your ignore list?

Honey I`d have a pint of cider with you anytime
Flirt. Typical Spaniard.

Originally Posted by Dessiree
I am entitled to my opinion.....as are you
Yes you are and don't let anyone shoo you away.

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
As opposed to the superficial crap in the barbie you mean?

And just how much positive contribution do YOU make to this forum? Or are you just in here for a superficial dig like many of the other flame throwers on this thread?

I find it quite laughable that those of us who are merely challenging and critising her opinions are somehow rude, yet it is perfectly acceptable to slag off and make sweeping assertions and generalizations against whole sectors of a society, no matter WHAT sector it is, and it is perfectly ok? At least myself and some others have the decency and balls to front up and challenge a person directly and in the open instead of making comments on masse about people they know nothing about individually. They then have the audacity to claim they are somehow superior based on what? Their need to feel "better" than those around them. Smells of THEIR inner insecurity and need for oneupmanship if you ask me.
I dont need to make sweeping judgements, but prefer to deal with individuals by what they do, what they say and how they treat me as a person.
Far more honest, and much less rude in my opinion.
I totally agree with this. If a person cannot deal with another questioning or disagreeing with them, then perhaps a public forum isn't the place for them to post.
Old Dec 14th 2008, 6:38 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Why can't we debate and challenge without it being seen as negative?
Old Dec 14th 2008, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling
No no....you don't understand.

It is only 'dreadful' when the 'underclass' want benefits
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Ezzie.

I wonder if you would consider continuing your posts in the form of a BE blog please. I'm asking this as a BE user, not a moderator. I would really like to be able to continue to follow this journal of yours but can quite see why you may have given up on your thread .

You could perhaps copy and paste your previous posts into the blog to keep the journal complete and on-going.

Hoping you will consider this
BEVS
Yes please! Have just spent ages scrolling through the dross to read the real OP bits!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Binge drinking normally is the trigger for many anglo saxons to express their surpressed emotions, especially the males but of course they will never do this around a group of other males. I always found when in the company of anglo saxon males, that it was never a great idea for a male to show any sensitive attributes and god forbid be in touch with his feminine side The superficial comments and topics of conversation that exist on a Friday and Saturday night down the pub in the UK with a macho bunch of males, is probably one of the most brain numbing activities that a human being can undertake.
How true all of this is, and all the while the massive intake of alcohol reduses them still further to absolute idiocy in every sense of the word. That is one of the tragedies of maleness. Repression and suppression really can turn these blokes into objects of pity when you think about it. Constant claptrap chat about nothing else but footie, big tits and booze capacity surely has a harmful effect on brain cell capacity.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

The R's in Gloucestershire speak as opposed to the Rs in Scottish speak and Welsh speak.......there really is a difference.

As a Scot I had to confirm my belief that Cloucestershire is really in the South West of England, if not actually in the West Country proper....maybe it is, but I need to be advised of this by some English person. The general accent typically associated with that region down there includes Rs which are essentially rhotic in nature, very similar to the American version. Indeed the present day rhoticism of the general American accent has its origins in the West Country of England for the most part, as it was from there that the first settlers from this country set sail to the New World.

The Rs produced by the Scots and the Welsh are actually rolled by trilling the tongue, unlike the West Country version, hence the difference in sound.

A Scotsman would pronounce the name Tobermory (a wee Scottish village on the Island of Mull) a whole lot differently than a person from Gloucestershire.

As for those negative statistics relating to the current social scene in the UK I referred to in an earlier post, and which were queried by another Forum member, all I would say that you need only look up all the information contained in pan European websites relating to teenage pregnancies, abortions, divorce, single mothers, juvenile crime, child poverty, low educational achievements, illiteracy and anti social behaviour, including alcohol and drug abuse, not to mention widespread indiscriminate littering and despoliation of the environment, then the United Kingdom tops the league in all of these factors.

I defy anyone to prove otherwise.

Just look at some of the daytime shows on UK TV to see it all in graphic detail - the very worst of British society. Admittedly a minority, but as ever the minority gets all the publicity, but unfortunately over the past eleven years (since 1997 as a focal point on the calendar) or so further statistics have shown the minority growing in numbers quite noticeably in the UK.

As I said before, all of Ezzie's posts have produced some of the most interesting and absorbing of reading in the entire Forum.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 10:43 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad

You raised the point therefore it is up to you to prove it so.

At the moment it is simply your biased opinion.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 11:23 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The R's in Gloucestershire speak as opposed to the Rs in Scottish speak and Welsh speak.......there really is a difference.

As a Scot I had to confirm my belief that Cloucestershire is really in the South West of England, if not actually in the West Country proper....maybe it is, but I need to be advised of this by some English person. The general accent typically associated with that region down there includes Rs which are essentially rhotic in nature, very similar to the American version. Indeed the present day rhoticism of the general American accent has its origins in the West Country of England for the most part, as it was from there that the first settlers from this country set sail to the New World.

The Rs produced by the Scots and the Welsh are actually rolled by trilling the tongue, unlike the West Country version, hence the difference in sound.

A Scotsman would pronounce the name Tobermory (a wee Scottish village on the Island of Mull) a whole lot differently than a person from Gloucestershire.

As for those negative statistics relating to the current social scene in the UK I referred to in an earlier post, and which were queried by another Forum member, all I would say that you need only look up all the information contained in pan European websites relating to teenage pregnancies, abortions, divorce, single mothers, juvenile crime, child poverty, low educational achievements, illiteracy and anti social behaviour, including alcohol and drug abuse, not to mention widespread indiscriminate littering and despoliation of the environment, then the United Kingdom tops the league in all of these factors.

Just look at some of the daytime shows on UK TV to see it all in graphic detail - the very worst of British society. Admittedly a minority, but as ever the minority gets all the publicity, but unfortunately over the past eleven years (since 1997 as a focal point on the calendar) or so further statistics have shown the minority growing in numbers quite noticeably in the UK.

As I said before, all of Ezzie's posts have produced some of the most interesting and absorbing of reading in the entire Forum.

Perhaps it would help to establish why crime has risen in the UK and it's perceived causes.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2980432.ece

One good thing about Australia. It only wants people with skills, brains and money.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 4:56 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent a bit of time looking through this thread.

I find a few of ezzie's comments somewhat sensationalist in the Daily Mail style, together with some sweeping generalizations that might not represent British life as whole. In general however I have found the "blog" reasonably balanced, quite interesting and ezzie appears to have tried to show the good and the bad (even if I do not always agree with the generalizations of the bad). It will certainly get an audience of BE crew when it airs! Ezzie - you'll have to post a reminder thread the week before.

What has spoilt the thread somewhat is not the disagreeing with ezzies posts using factual data to support contradictory positions, but the ad hominem digs that started around the time the son had a curry and beers (or not).

Ezzie, I suggest you take your brood back to Sydney and stay there. That way you can TRY to keep them in their ivory towers forever...
As for all the stuff you have mentioned prior to my post, you are completely deluded if you think it does not and will not happen in Australia. They are teenagers for gods sake! ....If you truly believe your kids are such angels and far superior to English kids then its best you keep them locked up over here. I predict tears and heartache for you though.
Originally Posted by cricket1
Ezzie....you appear to have lived life in some kind of twilight zone where only the pure and innocent dare to tread.
You have no real idea on British life, you've just made a collection of biased observations based on your own ideals on how life should be lived.

I do not agree for one minute that a group of 15 year old boys would be served alchohol. Not knowingly anyway. It's very mischievous of you to suggest this is the case.

Hate to tell you Ezzie but in the good old days, parents cut their childrens arms off to get insurance paid out. It's not the country that's the problem, it's the current modern day society which is what we're all living in beit the UK, US or Australia.

High time you got your hoity toity opinionated self back on a plane to upmarket Sydney and stop moaning on about Britain.
So what's wrong with me telling it the way I see it???? I don't agree that the UK is as bad as she makes out and frankly throughout her thread there has been more than a touch of the holier than thou attitude. In Birmingham for God sake????
[QUOTE]
Pack?? I am part of no pack and never will be. I have given my honest and open opinion on the comments she has made. I have not been abusive and if i think she is talking from her backside I have a perfect right to say so. Whether others agree or disagree is up to them.

I just find it hard to believe all this crap has been bestowed upon her kids in such a short space of time without any input on their part. I am not saying Ezzie is lying, but maybe she ought to question the entirity of some of the situations as she was not personally there.

There have been 17 pages written here. I even posted that i enjoyed reading her posts earlier on, but i will not accept someone trying to give the imression that their teenagers are angels and everyones elses children are trying to poison them.QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by ezzie
Well, I guess this thread had to descend in personal attacks at some point and not suprising it was from the same three people who bring every other thread down.
I've always enjoyed hearing things 'as they are' from many individuals perspective, but making innane judgmental comments that I should 'go back to Australia' is destroying everything I hoped this thread would provide.

I would have thought by now that it was obvious that we love England, we're just pretty disappointed with some aspects of it. I would imagine that there's not many of us who could say otherwise. We, like many, want to return to the UK and are just sussing it all out - how feasible it is, how wise a move it would be and, importantly, where to move.

We love this village and I would not hesitate to live here, but my comments about the teens stand. If anyone's seen the film 'Hot Fuzz', well there's an awful lot of similarities there!
Anyhow, I really haven't the energy for putting up with personal attacks made under the guise of 'I've a right to say what I like'. I can either carry on writing or just leave this thread to fall into a list of vitriole like many before have. I'm just peed off because it's always the same few vocal posters that do this time and again.
Can i draw your attention to post 197 of this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...543445&page=14

I guess you only enjoy contradictorary opinions being aired as long as it isnt against YOUR opinion.

As for bringing threads down? Are you saying that as soon as somoene questions or contradicts what you have said they are bringing the thread down?
And i am taking a wild guess here but i presume i am one of these 3 that keep "bringing threads down"? I beg to differ.
I spend quite a bit of my time actually going out of my way to help other people. Finding info, sending links, giving advice whether or not it is considered right or wrong. How often do you do that Ezzie?
Offer support, (even to you on several occasions which were rudely ignored) try you have a sense of humour, BUT, if i strongly disagree with something, I will not go bitch via PMs or email with other people. I will come on here, be up front and honest and say what i feel to be true.
That is what a forum is for. Not just rubbing your ego, patting your head and everybody agreeing all the time. If that were the case this place would be as boring as batsh*t.
I dont give a flyng toss whether you like, respect or dislike me Ezzie. I at least have the manners and respect to answer people who try to give me support whether i normally like their posts or not.

I hope you find happiness wherever it may be. I also hope you gain a bit more maturity in your approach to other people on an online forum. Your assumptions about them can often be completely wrong. Think about that.
I agree with Sans. As to personal comments, Ezzie's perception of Britain is badly flawed especially as she han't lived there for 22 years. It's an absolute twist of the truth to suggest that 15 year olds would be served alcohol on licensed premises.
I enjoyed reading this thread to start with but then i began to see that it was mostly an exercise in Ezzie posting her warts and and all story but in such a way that it became derogatory towards some, for example the 'underclass' while she made herself out to be whiter than white hence her children can do no wrong.

What i am going to do is not give Ezzie's flawed, embroidered and totally biased reports anymore of my time. I didn't become self made by tuning into such crap about my own country.

I'm surprised Pollyanna that you can take issue with just my post for being so staunchly loyal to Britain and justifiable offended at someone who paints a bleak picture of Britain while she makes herself out to be perfect.

I think this is mostly what this thread is about unfortunately. Don't bother giving me a bollicking for my vitriolic moments because I'm off to another much more upbeat and truthful GB forum, not some fantasy ride lived out by Ezzie.
I totally agree, but I was not trashing the thread. It was thought provoking i agree, and i made positive comments earlier in the thread.
My issue came from the subsequent posts she made and i challenged them. I did not do it in a trashing manner
I agree. Why can't we debate and challenge without it being seen as negative?
Nothing wrong with disagreeing with others posts (I do a little of it myself) - it keeps the forum lively and encourages debate, I'm not sure that saying:

"I suggest you take your brood back to Sydney and stay there",

"believe your kids are such angels and far superior to English kids then its best you keep them locked up over here",

"High time you got your hoity toity opinionated self back on a plane to upmarket Sydney and stop moaning on about Britain",

or,
"I dont give a flyng toss whether you like, respect or dislike me Ezzie"

is really sensible argument about the points raised or more of a personal dig at the poster because you know don't like their critique of the UK. These sort of comments weaken your arguments and make your own decisions to head to the UK look as irrational as some of the posts about how bad the UK is.

As you were.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

ive enjoyed reading this thread,but you all take things so personally.every country experiences the same things in their society. i would hate to see all of you in a room having a few drinks discussing this thread.after a while cops would be called in and most would be hauled off to the cop shop and called chavs.just my opinion of course. on the other hand maybe you would all sit around wondering what to say when face to face with one another. how many havent done any of the following.drink,smoke,eat a bit too much,have been unemployed,single parent etc etc.its just her opinion and how ezzie percieves things.have a nice day everyone and a merry christmas to all of you wherever you may be.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:22 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Thought I was on your ignore list?

Honey I`d have a pint of cider with you anytime

Gosh I don't remember that.
I don't remember writing that post either
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:31 pm
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
ive enjoyed reading this thread,but you all take things so personally.every country experiences the same things in their society. i would hate to see all of you in a room having a few drinks discussing this thread.after a while cops would be called in and most would be hauled off to the cop shop and called chavs.just my opinion of course. on the other hand maybe you would all sit around wondering what to say when face to face with one another. how many havent done any of the following.drink,smoke,eat a bit too much,have been unemployed,single parent etc etc.its just her opinion and how ezzie percieves things.have a nice day everyone and a merry christmas to all of you wherever you may be.
Slight exaggeration there, but I'll wish you a merry Xmas too.

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Gosh I don't remember that.
I don't remember writing that post either
Having a good time in Italy then are we?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 5:36 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Slight exaggeration there, but I'll wish you a merry Xmas too.

Having a good time in Italy then are we?
Hi there .....

well the weekend passed in a rather sleepy and boozy way as we were invited to one lunch and dinner after another to say "bye" and "happy Christmas" to folks and for the kids to exchange a few gifts.

We fly to the UK on Sunday and return January 5th.

Last week I kept putting off errands as it rained night and day. It is STILL bloody raining night and day but I can't put anything off any longer...... and I'm only drinking water this week !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.