Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:13 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
This is fascinating. Why do you feel the need to do this? What has happened in your life to bring about the volte-face? The opinions I expressed about Australia were for your benefit. I have no anger towards Australia at all. As you said, this would be pointless.... but you seem to be exceptionally angry about something. What's your problem?.

lie back and let your mind wander, now what is the earliest childhood memory you have
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:16 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by louise4
lie back and let your mind wander, now what is the earliest childhood memory you have

I'm guessing that the earliest childhood memory is being taken to Australia, against their will, and its been festering for years.. doesn't fit in here, and wouldn't fit in in the UK.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Lane has a spectacular aura aboutLane has a spectacular aura aboutLane has a spectacular aura about

Its not often that I will come out and bat for the other side but I am sorry its not always that easy to just up and go home. People do lots of research before coming to Australia but sometimes the reality of living is not the same as the countless holidays a lot of people take, for a start you earn in dollars and not the nice pounds you bring on hols.
Of course, and we know that. No-one's having a go at anyone who took the punt. It's very difficult for those who're deeply distressed and stuck in a land which feels alien to them.

But can you see what's happening here? People are taking the 'victim' position because it's comfortable.

And when there's a victim, there must also be a victimiser.

So they're re-writing their own history. They're portraying their own decisions now as something else. They can't get away with claiming they were forced to move to Australia, so instead they're settling for the next best thing (as they see it) and claiming they were enticed.

As I've said, it's as unworthy as the rapist claiming to the judge that he raped because the victim enticed him with her clothing and manner.

My response has been, all the way through, to say it is futile and childish and ultimately bad for everyone for adults to be claiming in these forums that they 'just came because they could/had no real reason to leave/were enticed by false promises/are now so miserable.

It's all a symptom of the 'everyone else is to blame' mentality and in doing this, people are making themselves into victims and in the process are turning others into victimisers.

The truth is: you made the decision to move to Australia.

And now you have a choice of staying or leaving. Sometimes no choice.

At the same time, if you insist on playing victim and portraying Australia and Aussies as the 'bad guy', then you will have no hope at all of settling in Australia and making a fist of it; making friends; finding success; passing positive philosphies onto your children who may also end up remaining in this country.

But can anyone see the sense in that? Oh no. They'd rather take the offensive and keep their brains firmly shut.

Well, brains and attitudes that are deliberately jammed firmly shut will not work to your own or your children's or anyone else's benefit.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:22 am
Account Closed

What changed from this, which you posted earlier this year,

'All my life, I've wanted to return to the UK. Sure, I knew people claimed I would not like it any more. They said things had changed for the worse in UK and I should be grateful to be in Australia. And I'm sure they were correct. But I wanted to just be able to touch the UK again, even if I could only afford to stay for a week. I wanted to see that light in the sky, which is so different to Australia's. I wanted to visit the church where my family --- all gone now -- are buried. I wanted to walk past the places I've held in my memory all these years. I wanted to breathe the air, and be able to tell that little part of the world that I had come back to see it once more. To let it know I have never forgotten it. Such a small luxury. I believed all my life that I'd do it one day.'

to your current sentiments?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lane
Of course, and we know that. No-one's having a go at anyone who took the punt. It's very difficult for those who're deeply distressed and stuck in a land which feels alien to them.

But can you see what's happening here? People are taking the 'victim' position because it's comfortable.

So they're re-writing their own history. They're portraying their own decisions now as something else. They can't get away with claiming they were forced to move to Australia, so instead they're settling for the next best thing (as they see it) and claiming they were enticed.

As I've said, it's as unworthy as the rapist claiming to the judge that he raped because the victim enticed him with her clothing and manner.

My response has been, all the way through, to say it is futile and childish and ultimately bad for everyone for adults to be claiming in these forums that they 'just came because they could/had no real reason to leave/were enticed by false promises/are now so miserable.

It's all a symptom of the 'everyone else is to blame' mentality and in doing this, people are making themselves into victims and in the process are turning others into victimisers.

At the same time, if you insist on playing victim and portraying Australia and Aussies as the 'bad guy', then you will have no hope at all of settling in Australia and making a fist of it; making friends; finding success; passing positive philosphies onto your children who may also end up remaining in this country.

But can anyone see the sense in that? Oh no. They'd rather take the offensive and keep their brains firmly shut.

Well, brains and attitudes that are deliberately jammed firmly shut will not work to your own or your children's or anyone else's benefit.

What a load of Crap
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:23 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

I'm guessing that the earliest childhood memory is being taken to Australia, against their will, and its been festering for years.. doesn't fit in here, and wouldn't fit in in the UK.

I know a good shrink. Or there's always St Johns Wort

Mine's a pint by the way
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:28 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by LouiseD

I know a good shrink. Or there's always St Johns Wort

Mine's a pint by the way
Have a couple on me.

I'm always generous when its free.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:33 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

You are just talking mumbo jumbo now. So what do you propose people do then. Why haven't you taken your own advice and returned to England??
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:34 am
Account Closed

[QUOTE=Lane
I'd much rather stay here in mindless ignorance, living on welfare in a run-down council flat surrounded by unemployed, out of control hooligans, all living together in endless drizzle and cold, no prospects, no future other than what I have right this minute.'

[/QUOTE]

Just a little factual content in all these fun and games.... Youth unemployment in the Illawarra is a staggering 45%.. just read that again 45% :scared: That isn't just one small part, of one small town, that's the entire region.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:45 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you describe the facts as being 'nasty, vile nonsense' ?

If people fail to adapt, adjust or simply decide they will not fit-in, then that's their decision and they need to own it .... instead of indulging in those 'nasty, vile' criticisms they prefer to hurl at Australia and Australians and the Australian way of speaking, etc.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones and even though misery loves company and you're all being childish, nasty and vile together, it does none of you any credit.

Nor does the poster who is still whining and criticising after 18 years in Australia !

He knows which side his bread is buttered on though -- obviously -- and that's Australia, not the UK !

You do not want to understand. Yet it's so simple. Return to the UK by all means. People do it all the time. But accept responsibility for all of it: for coming to Australia in the first place and for not liking it enough to stay and for choosing to return.

Instead, people in this thread and elsewhere in the forums are blaming everyone but themselves. They blame the Australian government, the Australian people and lifestyle and Australia generally.

And as I've pointed out repeatedly, no-one dragged any of these people onto planes and no-one is holding them in Australia against their will.

Do you have one iota of logic or common sense? Lots of people don't like artichokes and prefer avocado, but they don't sit around in forums blaming artichokes for that !

This is a bash-Aussies, bash-Australia, 'everyone's wrong except poor little me' thread, as are others.

Other people are capable of saying; 'We prefer UK when all's said and done. It's not Australia's fault, just the way it is.'

Why don't some of those who frequent this and other threads with blatantly nasty, vile blame-tossing take a leaf out of the grown-ups book?

It's an inherited characteristic, the 'blame someone else' sickness. And if those who're demonstrating it here don't come to terms with themselves then they'll pass it along to their children, who will also have unhappy lives as perennial malcontents. In the meantime, Aussies are not obliged to absorb it.

You're an embarrassment, some of you.
There are two words to describe people like you BITTER and TWISTED. I don't think this forum is the place to hurl personal insults, at least the poster you are refering to has a sense of humour. Perhaps you should grow up and accept other people have a different opinion and are entitled to express that opinion.

As I've said before If you don't like it ...
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:50 am

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Have a couple on me.

I'm always generous when its free.
Thanks - that went down well. Feel much better now
Old Dec 18th 2006, 6:56 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What changed from this, which you posted earlier this year,

'All my life, I've wanted to return to the UK. Sure, I knew people claimed I would not like it any more. They said things had changed for the worse in UK and I should be grateful to be in Australia. And I'm sure they were correct. But I wanted to just be able to touch the UK again, even if I could only afford to stay for a week. I wanted to see that light in the sky, which is so different to Australia's. I wanted to visit the church where my family --- all gone now -- are buried. I wanted to walk past the places I've held in my memory all these years. I wanted to breathe the air, and be able to tell that little part of the world that I had come back to see it once more. To let it know I have never forgotten it. Such a small luxury. I believed all my life that I'd do it one day.'

to your current sentiments?
I suspect that Lane has been living under a bridge since posting that
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:10 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

I have read all your drivel and came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth making comment other than "what a merchant banker" you seem to judge every one else by your own low standard. It is suspicious how much like hutch you write.....
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:12 am
Account Closed

I think I understand now. You're envious. Envious of a group, who have either made the decision to, or are talking about, going home. Home to a land you still see as home, but will never get to live in.

Jealousy is an evil master... it will twist you into shapes you may not like when you look in the mirror.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 7:12 am

And here endeth the first lesson. Go in peace now children to love and serve thy Lord

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.