Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Lane has a spectacular aura aboutLane has a spectacular aura aboutLane has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

You know what's going to happen, don't you, after you return to UK ?

There will be a little flurry of activity and attention, and then, once your immediate penny-opera is over, people are going to ask you --- ' So what was the problem? Why did you come back?'

And you'll begin your well-practised litany of complaints, honed here in these forums: ' Oh, it was too hot -- we missed the family -- the kids didn't like it -- it didn't feel right -- we didn't like the food -- we didn't like the people -- we didn't like the beaches -- we didn't like the Australian-ess of it -- we didn't like the way they sliced the bread -- we didn't like their accent -- we didn't like the colloquialisms -- we were sick of bar-b-ques -- we hated the flies -- etc. etc.

And people will study you, behind their smiles.

Some of them will say to your face: ' Well, you knew what it would be like before you left and you said you couldn't wait for those beaches and bar-b-ques and all that space and the chance to buy a bigger place and to get a new start in life.'

Others will just talk behind you back. They'll say: ' They couldn't fit in here, either.'

But what will really surprise you will be the way you'll begin, sooner or later, to praise Australia, once you're back in UK.

Some scone-faced woman in the street will say; ' Oh I wouldn't want to go Australia -- you couldn't pay me to go! I've heard it's horrible. I'd much rather stay here in mindless ignorance, living on welfare in a run-down council flat surrounded by unemployed, out of control hooligans, all living together in endless drizzle and cold, no prospects, no future other than what I have right this minute.'

And at that point, you'll remember why you applied to go to Australia in the first place ! And then to your own surprise, you'll begin defending Australia and the life you had here.

You'll realise you had an insular, isolationist attitude when you lived in Aus. You'll remember wanting it to be both different to and the same as the UK !

You'll remember wanting to be both excited by the future --- at the same time you were refusing to let go of the past.

You'll remember wanting to both fit-in --- and be regarded as 'different'.

And you'll remember lots more, as well. Big skies, sunshine, what it felt like to be living on the other side of the globe.

You'll remember wanting to expand your horizons -- yet being unwilling to relinquish your grasp on the safe and familiar.

And you'll realise you didn't really give it a chance, not really.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:44 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lane
Do you have to work on being this presumptuous, or does it come naturally?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:57 am
Just Joined

Lane has a spectacular aura aboutLane has a spectacular aura aboutLane has a spectacular aura about

I agree with every word of this post.I saw emigrate to Australia fairs regularly advertised and the spiel that went with it.GMTV and it's regular Australian segment,I wonder how much they are paid for this? It (Australia) is always being sold

Ah ---- people in the UK have never been subjected to advertisements ---- is that what you're claiming ? They don't have mass media in UK ? They've never seen a travel brochure or advertisements for electronic gadgets? They have no advertisements in shop windows and on hoardings?

Really? I had no idea the Brits were so naive in the ways of the world, in this, the 21st century. All live in isolated little villages, do they, bereft of newspapers or magazines or radio or tv.

Ah well, then it's understandable they'd be 'fooled' by Australia's advertising campaign.

But I suspect you're telling the most ridiculous porkies in a five-year-old's attempt to deny personal responsibility.

Brits are VERY fond of trotting off to other countries, aren't they? Otherwise, why would people in US, Australia, Japan, Finland etc. be able to watch tv documentaries featuring Brits descending on holiday resorts like swarms of uncouth insects, vomiting in swimming pools, trashing rooms, having sex on balconies, demanding their fish and chips from Italian, French, Spanish, US restaurants in boorish guffaws ? We see those documentaries because they're factual.

Which proves that Brits are familiar with marketing strategies and Brits of course get the best deal they can when it comes to travelling around the globe.

Buyer beware ! It applies ---- as you all well know -- whether considering a move to another country for a new life or for a holiday.

UK people come to Australia for their OWN sakes. They do it for THEMselves.

They grabbed the opportunity. They believed they were getting a top deal.

Seems that what UK migrants are not able to do is tell the difference between committing to a holiday and a new life.

And that's their mistake, no-one else's.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

There will be a little flurry of activity and attention, and then, once your immediate penny-opera is over, people are going to ask you --- ' So what was the problem? Why did you come back?'

And you'll begin your well-practised litany of complaints, honed here in these forums: ' Oh, it was too hot -- we missed the family -- the kids didn't like it -- it didn't feel right -- we didn't like the food -- we didn't like the people -- we didn't like the beaches -- we didn't like the Australian-ess of it -- we didn't like the way they sliced the bread -- we didn't like their accent -- we didn't like the colloquialisms -- we were sick of bar-b-ques -- we hated the flies -- etc. etc.

Some of them will say to your face: ' Well, you knew what it would be like before you left and you said you couldn't wait for those beaches and bar-b-ques and all that space and the chance to buy a bigger place and to get a new start in life.'

Others will just talk behind you back. They'll say: ' They couldn't fit in here, either.'

But what will really surprise you will be the way you'll begin, sooner or later, to praise Australia, once you're back in UK.

Some scone-faced woman in the street will say; ' Oh I wouldn't want to go Australia -- you couldn't pay me to go! I've heard it's horrible. I'd much rather stay here in mindless ignorance, living on welfare in a run-down council flat surrounded by unemployed, out of control hooligans, all living together in endless drizzle and cold, no prospects, no future other than what I have right this minute.'

And at that point, you'll remember why you applied to go to Australia in the first place ! And then to your own surprise, you'll begin defending Australia and the life you had here.

You'll realise you had an insular, isolationist attitude when you lived in Aus. You'll remember wanting it to be both different to and the same as the UK !

You'll remember wanting to be both excited by the future --- at the same time you were refusing to let go of the past.

And you'll remember lots more, as well. Big skies, sunshine, what it felt like to be living on the other side of the globe.

You'll remember wanting to expand your horizons -- yet being unwilling to relinquish your grasp on the safe and familiar.

You are assuming to much. Their are many small, narrow ,backward people here where I live too.Their are also some really nice ones with brains that think for themselves and are not brainwashed.

Refusing to let go of the past??Please Australians won the war single handed with out help from anyone blah blah.I do not mean to take anything away from any of the fine men and women in any country that fought in the wars,they are ALL important and deserve remberance and respect but only an Australian could keep banging on about a submarine in Sydney Harbour and an attack on Darwin.Big deal .

Unwilling to relinquish the safe and famillar Aussie don't do that then you know the ones Earsl Court loud rude look at me I am here from Australia the best place on earth.Get over yourselfs
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:24 am
Just Joined

You packed up in the UK, lock, stock and barrel.

You completed endless forms. You worked your backsides off to qualify for acceptance into Australia.

You made the decision to leave your friends, family, neighbours.

You left your jobs.

You sold your homes, if you had property to sell.

You went to 'farewell' parties held in your honour.

You said weepy goodbyes.

You completed more forms and held your breath, hoping to be accepted by Australia.

You hopped on planes and settled into your seats.

You arrived in the place you'd chosen to live.

And then you discovered you'd brought yourself and a lot of your inherent problems with you.

If Australia disappointed you, then logically, you'd held expectations that were, or which proved to be, unrealistic.

Perhaps you were unable to function as comfortably as when you'd enjoyed a support network in UK?
Maybe you were used to your parents babysitting your children?
Maybe you were used to being able to hit on certain people for loans?
Maybe you were drawing a wage in a job that you weren't doing all that well, but were getting away with it?
Maybe you are a limited individual who needs others to prop you up?

Whatever the case, it was a different situation when you landed in Australia.
Of course it was !

Why didn't you work that out before you left the UK? It's not rocket science.

Maybe you didn't want to think of how it would be once you arrived in Australia?

Maybe you chose to believe it would just 'work itself out' to your satisfaction?

And then you learned differently.

Ok. There's an easy solution: just return to the UK.

But at least learn something from the experience.

Admit to yourselves, if to no-one else, that it was your error/s of judgement that was/is responsible.

Australia is what it is. A ten year old could amass a mountain of information about Australia, warts and all, in a few hours online.

Australia isn't Utopia. Did you expect Utopia? Do you still read children's fairy stories too?

But wait a minute ------ aren't you the same people who boast how you did a real good deal when you bought your washing machine, car, pair of boots?

So on one hand, you're savvy enough to see through the hype and get yourselves a good deal -------- but on the other, you can't see past the hype and your own self-interest when it comes to making a life-changing decision ? Does that make sense to you? Not to anyone else either.

You came for you -- for your own benefit.

WHO's decision was it to come to Australia?

That's right: it was yours.

That's where it should end.

After all, you make decisions to have children, too, don't you?

What do you do when you don't like those --- blame the midwife ?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:33 am
Just Joined

Some migrants take to Australia (in this instance) like ducks to water.

Others remain undecided with a foot on either side of the fence until some pivotal occurrence compels them to make a final decisions.

Others don't adapt to Australia and they depart.

There's no wrong or right about any of the above.

If you've decided Australia isn't for you, and if you possess the means to return to UK, then good luck to you. Nice to have the choice :-)

And of course you'll have reasons for not enjoying yourself in Australia as much as you did in the UK.

It's entirely reasonable you would explain those reasons both prior to and after departing Australia.

But having made such momentous decisions and journeys, it's to be hoped your remarks are tempered by honesty and self-knowledge. Playing the Blame-Game is so demeaning to the blamer. It makes them appear so small.

Better to simply say that you prefer life in the UK. Or that you couldn't adjust to the new country.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:50 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Christ they don't give up do they, they're like a plague. didn't give it a chance, i've been here 18yrs, and it gets more craptacular everyday. I can't be bothered with these dingo wannabees anymore. I'm only replying to rational people now, now those Godzones who've had the chip implant.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

by the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the roughby the sea side is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FPM
Christ they don't give up do they, they're like a plague. didn't give it a chance, i've been here 18yrs, and it gets more craptacular everyday. I can't be bothered with these dingo wannabees anymore. I'm only replying to rational people now, now those Godzones who've had the chip implant.
I am with you.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 3:59 am
Just Joined

Refusing to let go of the past??Please Australians won the war single handed with out help from anyone blah blah
Now you can see what you're trying to do here, can't you?

Of course you can. You're dragging in irrelevant red-herrings in order you don't have to face the truth about yourself.

Clinging to the past --- to your past life in the UK -- is what's under discussion and you know it.

It's sheer stupidity to expect Australia to be like your particular little spot in the UK.

Eventually, you might find a location in Australia that's similar to what you were used to in the UK, but why look for it ?

Australia is on the opposite side of the globe to the UK. You knew that before you came here. Australia is not required to be like your part of the UK.

And if your part of the UK was so great, why did you leave it?

No, a modicum of intelligence is required in those who leave the safe and familiar and cross the globe to what must inevitable be an entirely different way of life.

And intelligence is defined as 'the ability to adapt'.

You obviously believed you could adapt. You discovered you couldn't.

That's it, in a nutshell.

When you select and purchase a new car --- and then go on to whine about it endlessly -- others will tell you it was your choice and deal with it.

Same goes when you uproot yourself and your family and select and purchase a new country, new way of life.

It was your choice. Stop laying the blame on everything and everyone else and you'll grow up a lot faster.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:04 am
Just Joined

chip implant

The chip implants are on your shoulders as I'm confident you've been told many times before.

You couldn't fit in in UK --- and you won't fit in here.

And throughout it all, you whine and complain.

Classic chip on shoulder mentality. I'm sure you're noted for it and so remain on the 'outside' no matter where you go.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:38 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

It's sheer stupidity to expect Australia to be like your particular little spot in the UK.

Eventually, you might find a location in Australia that's similar to what you were used to in the UK, but why look for it ?
I never expected Australia to be like my little spot in the UK. I hoped it would be brighter, fresher and more alive. In reality its duller, staler and dead. It's a three million square mile, fly infested, sand pit..... that cats have pissed in.

... is that the sort of reaction you hoped to provoke?

You see, I can play your little wind up game just as well as you .... and see, I have even worked out how to get stuff to come out in bold.. just like you. Does this mean I have demonstrated a reasonable level of intelligence or am I still stupid for arriving in Australia and finding it not to my liking?
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:47 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

You're right about the last bit.

OK last response to the dingo as I've found with the less cranially endowed is they drag you down to their gutter level and then beat you with experience.

I've lived in 4 countries, two of them non English speaking, and I can assure you my little barkless friend that I not only survived chip free, but flourished, and shall do again when henceforth I leave this myopic knuckle dragging dusthole of a blight on the earth.

Toodle pip now, I think I can hear a baby taking your puppy.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 4:59 am
Yorkshire Lass

meljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond reputemeljor has a reputation beyond repute

The chip implants are on your shoulders as I'm confident you've been told many times before.

Classic chip on shoulder mentality. I'm sure you're noted for it and so remain on the 'outside' no matter where you go.
Hello Lane,
I have just read your previous posts, the one where you write very emotively about how you never felt you belonged here and your parents were to proud to admit they made a mistake and go home.

I read them because I couldn't for the life of me understand why someone would suddenly come on here and spurt such nasty vile nonsense to people who have tried it and haven't liked it, for whatever reason. Some are lucky enough to be going back and some have a lot more heartache before they can do this. Whatever their situations this forum is often the only place they can express their pain and frustration.

I for one have been grateful to find this forum because I thought I was going mad for not being overjoyed now that I supposedly have made all my dreams a reality and the humour and empathy I have found here have helped me through some tough times.

So if you don't like what you read then take your own advice and bugger off.
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:19 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

You do seem to know an awful lot about people you've never met don't you?

Bet you're a real popular guy down at your local
Old Dec 18th 2006, 5:40 am
Just Joined

nasty vile nonsense
Why would you describe the facts as being 'nasty, vile nonsense' ?

If people fail to adapt, adjust or simply decide they will not fit-in, then that's their decision and they need to own it .... instead of indulging in those 'nasty, vile' criticisms they prefer to hurl at Australia and Australians and the Australian way of speaking, etc.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones and even though misery loves company and you're all being childish, nasty and vile together, it does none of you any credit.

Nor does the poster who is still whining and criticising after 18 years in Australia !

He knows which side his bread is buttered on though -- obviously -- and that's Australia, not the UK !

You do not want to understand. Yet it's so simple. Return to the UK by all means. People do it all the time. But accept responsibility for all of it: for coming to Australia in the first place and for not liking it enough to stay and for choosing to return.

Instead, people in this thread and elsewhere in the forums are blaming everyone but themselves. They blame the Australian government, the Australian people and lifestyle and Australia generally.

And as I've pointed out repeatedly, no-one dragged any of these people onto planes and no-one is holding them in Australia against their will.

Do you have one iota of logic or common sense? Lots of people don't like artichokes and prefer avocado, but they don't sit around in forums blaming artichokes for that !

This is a bash-Aussies, bash-Australia, 'everyone's wrong except poor little me' thread, as are others.

Other people are capable of saying; 'We prefer UK when all's said and done. It's not Australia's fault, just the way it is.'

Why don't some of those who frequent this and other threads with blatantly nasty, vile blame-tossing take a leaf out of the grown-ups book?

It's an inherited characteristic, the 'blame someone else' sickness. And if those who're demonstrating it here don't come to terms with themselves then they'll pass it along to their children, who will also have unhappy lives as perennial malcontents. In the meantime, Aussies are not obliged to absorb it.

You're an embarrassment, some of you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.