British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/interesting-reading-those-thinking-returning-oz-409339/)

Exile Nov 21st 2006 7:36 am

Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

This article came up in a thread on the Aussie forum. I thought it might interest people thinking about returning from Australia, as it gives a perspective we don't hear too often.

(Thanks to Iamthecreaturefromuranus for original post)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...340890279.html

LouiseD Nov 21st 2006 9:38 am

Re: Interesting reading for those thinking of returning from Oz

Pick me up of the floor! :D

Can't believe they printed that. In Australia :eek:

HiddenPaw Nov 21st 2006 9:54 am

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Pick me up of the floor! :D

Can't believe they printed that. In Australia :eek:

Well, it's time they stopped living in denial!!

I have worked with many Australians in the UK who have said they have no plans to return to Australia. (Even some ping-pong Aussies who emigrated to UK, went back to Oz, came back to UK again.)

My husband's company has an internal email distrib. list purely for Aussies in the UK - there's that many of them. This is a large corporate (not London-based)! Quite a few of those he works alongside are here indefinately. All the ones we've worked with are more open-minded about living outside of Oz. From my experience, it was the people who had never left Australia that seemed the most critical about anyone wanting to live anywhere else.

Also good to read in the article that Australian's raising children in the UK don't all take the "Oz has more opportunites for children" stance.

sassenach Nov 21st 2006 10:01 am

Fair play to them for printing it though .Puts a different perspective on living in australia ,especially for professionals .
It seems to me australia is dumbing down if its losing its most valued resource ,iis well educated .
Obviously sitting on ones arse sucking on beer and coffee milks and the odd trip to bunnings for a pot plant or two doesnt float every ones boat.

sassenach Nov 21st 2006 10:03 am

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Well, it's time they stopped living in denial!!

I have worked with many Australians in the UK who have said they have no plans to return to Australia. (Even some ping-pong Aussies who emigrated to UK, went back to Oz, came back to UK again.)

My husband's company has an internal email distrib. list purely for Aussies in the UK - there's that many of them. This is a large corporate (not London-based)! Quite a few of those he works alongside are here indefinately. All the ones we've worked with are more open-minded about living outside of Oz. From my experience, it was the people who had never left Australia that seemed the most critical about anyone wanting to live anywhere else.

Also good to read in the article that Australian's raising children in the UK don't all take the "Oz has more opportunites for children" stance.

I also have met heaps of aussies in the uk and some with brit passports are just so happy to have them ,and some of the one who havent have said to me they will fight tooth and nail not to have to go back to aussie .

Nomore Nov 21st 2006 10:13 am

Originally Posted by sassenach
Fair play to them for printing it though .Puts a different perspective on living in australia ,especially for professionals .
It seems to me australia is dumbing down if its losing its most valued resource ,iis well educated .
Obviously sitting on ones arse sucking on beer and coffee milks and the odd trip to bunnings for a pot plant or two doesnt float every ones boat.

yep doesn't float my boat!! almost everyone i have met want to go home but it's not as easy as that so they stay here longer.
But good for the newspaper for printing things that are obvious..!!

blowfly Nov 21st 2006 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Exile
This article came up in a thread on the Aussie forum. I thought it might interest people thinking about returning from Australia, as it gives a perspective we don't hear too often.

(Thanks to Iamthecreaturefromuranus for original post)

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...340890279.html

That is a brilliant article.I am surprised to read an article like this in an Australian newspaper.Thanks for that.

sassenach Nov 21st 2006 10:52 am

Originally Posted by paulrachel
yep doesn't float my boat!! almost everyone i have met want to go home but it's not as easy as that so they stay here longer.
But good for the newspaper for printing things that are obvious..!!

I have the same experience ,i wouldnt say all want to go home but quiet a lot do and are going to, and the others seem to just whinge and wine about the place.
I at the moment are a fully paid up member of the Whingers and Whiners club of West Australia ,hopefully i will not be renewing my membership next year . :)

toandfro Nov 21st 2006 11:00 am

now I'm gobsmack how many times as this been said here .what is the reaction of the godzone crew I can't imagine there impressed??

sassenach Nov 21st 2006 11:09 am

Originally Posted by toandfro
now I'm gobsmack how many times as this been said here .what is the reaction of the godzone crew I can't imagine there impressed??

I dare say we will be getting a few of the GODSQUAD in soon ,they cant help themselves because deep down they have doubts too .Especially now this article has cropped up ,it must seem like treachery . :)

toandfro Nov 21st 2006 11:23 am

I dare say we will be getting a few of the GODSQUAD in soon ,they cant help themselves because deep down they have doubts too .Especially now this article has cropped up ,it must seem like treachery . :)

theres gonna be a witch hunt......

sassenach Nov 21st 2006 11:49 am

Originally Posted by toandfro
theres gonna be a witch hunt......

we wont win ,they outnumber us 10-1 .
Iwonder about this site at times because the amount in the godsquad zone is far more than the returning back to the uk section ,but it seems to bear no resemblance to the reality i see in everyday life with brits .
I have 3 brits on the job at the moment and every single one of them wants to get out of here ,i have feeling there is a few in godsville section who havent faced up to their feelings yet and are trying to put up a brave face and still nodding like dumb donkies at the pom this pom that snide remarks .

Nomore Nov 21st 2006 12:00 pm

I have the same experience ,i wouldnt say all want to go home but quiet a lot do and are going to, and the others seem to just whinge and wine about the place.
I at the moment are a fully paid up member of the Whingers and Whiners club of West Australia ,hopefully i will not be renewing my membership next year . :)

lol me neither, Can't say it's OZ i don't like, it's just the cost of living for us!!! we can't afford to live here :rolleyes:
Thats what most want to go home for, to earn a better wage. I will never understand why wages are so low :confused:

sassenach Nov 21st 2006 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by paulrachel
lol me neither, Can't say it's OZ i don't like, it's just the cost of living for us!!! we can't afford to live here :rolleyes:
Thats what most want to go home for, to earn a better wage. I will never understand why wages are so low :confused:

I have actually done very well here ,but its been a hard 16 year slog .It depends what you work is i suppose and at the moment what state your in .
I actually just want to go home ,as i have found as i have got older i want to just get back to familiarity and my roots ,also my eldest son is leaving aussie in May to live in germany [he hates australia ]and my youngest is as dinky di as they come .
Its a graet place for holidays but our experience has been a hard one ,some have it a lot easier and good luck to them ,but for those that have fought tooth and nail to make it work like us takes its toll on your personality and relationships .sorry to be so serious :) :)

Nomore Nov 21st 2006 12:21 pm

I have actually done very well here ,but its been a hard 16 year slog .It depends what you work is i suppose and at the moment what state your in .
I actually just want to go home ,as i have found as i have got older i want to just get back to familiarity and my roots ,also my eldest son is leaving aussie in May to live in germany [he hates australia ]and my youngest is as dinky di as they come .
Its a graet place for holidays but our experience has been a hard one ,some have it a lot easier and good luck to them ,but for those that have fought tooth and nail to make it work like us takes its toll on your personality and relationships .sorry to be so serious :) :)

i know how you feel..I don't want to be here forever even if we earned loads of dosh!! there's just something not quite right, something missing. Some friends of ours are returning after just 2 months of being here :eek: i feel so jealous...they can't afford it here (perth) either. They were promised this and that and got nowt!!
Everyday is a struggle but i have learnt to take it on the chin and i want to call this a long holiday rather than failure.