Article about unhappy Britain

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Article about unhappy Britain

Can I ask why you come on to MBTTUK forum and post nothing but negative posts that often apply to everywhere else in the world as well as the UK ?

Originally Posted by Returnee
Yes, I agree. It is rather strange that Britain has the highest obesity rate in Europe and at the same time there has been a sharp rise in demand for food handouts from poverty-stricken families.

http://optimized-by.rubiconproject.c.../22596-2.html?
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Originally Posted by chris955
Can I ask why you come on to MBTTUK forum and post nothing but negative posts that often apply to everywhere else in the world as well as the UK ?
I don't think my posts are negative. I like to think they are based on realism. I am thinking of returning to England in the not too distant future, but I have worries. I guess members who post on here do not experience poverty or obesity firsthand or secondhand, or other social ills in Britain which I am curious about. So, I do apologize and would like to say sorry if I have offended anyone.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 6:25 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure you have offended anyone but you just seem to dwell on the negatives. We are returning to the UK (hopefully) before the New Year and we aren't blind to it's faults anymore than we are to the faults here. We are also very aware of the many many good points and we tend to look at those as things to look forward to. The things you post about in the UK exist everywhere and are often worse in other countries.

I don't think my posts are negative. I like to think they are based on realism. I am thinking of returning to England in the not too distant future, but I have worries. I guess members who post on here do not experience poverty or obesity firsthand or secondhand, or other social ills in Britain which I am curious about. So, I do apologize and would like to say sorry if I have offended anyone.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DeadVim
France is top, a fair indication of the credibility of that analysis ...
I not sure if France is the happiest place to live. I has double the suicide rate of UK. Suicide rates are said to be linked to economic climate/living standards. France has had 600 000 of its young professionals move to the UK for work and better life!. This has not gone down well with the French government as they are losing their bright young people.

What is unhappy about living in Britain? I believe we have become spoilt as a nation with rapid rise I standard of living during the past few decades. I looked at old photos of my parents home in the 1970's and can see they did not have a lot compared to what we have now. With the current high inflation, we as a family have become more sensible with our spending and still able to maintain a high standard of living.

I not not see the food banks, church run breakfast club for poor kids in the UK which was common when we lived in Canada.

Weather I find great in the UK is generally ok - which mild generally.

I am Kent and we had 29C yesterday, what's to complain about for 1st October !
I off now to spend the time in my garden and a bonus for me is that there are no mozzies or flies to bother me.

Have a happy day.

Hudd
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

Returnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to allReturnee is a name known to all

Some good news: The governement coalition has announced its £250m Weekly Bin Collections Support Scheme, which will give the country’s local authorities financial support to switch from fortnightly to weekly bin collecting.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 9:55 am
Banned

I can't imagine for 1 second that France is the happiest place to live. People from all over the world come to the UK for a better life, I really think these surveys are meaningless to be honest.
The people we know in England aren't unhappy and still do all the same things they did 5 or 10 years ago.

Originally Posted by huddm
I not sure if France is the happiest place to live. I has double the suicide rate of UK. Suicide rates are said to be linked to economic climate/living standards. France has had 600 000 of its young professionals move to the UK for work and better life!. This has not gone down well with the French government as they are losing their bright young people.

What is unhappy about living in Britain? I believe we have become spoilt as a nation with rapid rise I standard of living during the past few decades. I looked at old photos of my parents home in the 1970's and can see they did not have a lot compared to what we have now. With the current high inflation, we as a family have become more sensible with our spending and still able to maintain a high standard of living.

I not not see the food banks, church run breakfast club for poor kids in the UK which was common when we lived in Canada.

Weather I find great in the UK is generally ok - which mild generally.

I am Kent and we had 29C yesterday, what's to complain about for 1st October !
I off now to spend the time in my garden and a bonus for me is that there are no mozzies or flies to bother me.

Have a happy day.

Hudd
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 10:45 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to see a more positive portrayal of Britain, the annual "Pride of Britain Awards" are on telly this Wednesday. Inspiring stories of brave and selfless peple.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 12:26 pm
Banned

Yes absolutely right, what I like about the POB awards is that it celebrates genuine heroes and not so called sporting heroes that we see heralded so much in this country. Britain still has much to be proud of, it's just a shame that the media prefer to concentrate on the negatives.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 1:16 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly think the British media concentrates on the negatives because that's what people in Britain want. As we've all commented before, Brits like nothing more than a good moan so the newspapers know they can sell more by giving everybody lots to moan about.

Here in the US it's the opposite. The newspapers know people don't want negativity, so things like the tent cities are never reported on and most Americans remain unaware of what's really going on in their country.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:05 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Some good news: The governement coalition has announced its £250m Weekly Bin Collections Support Scheme, which will give the country’s local authorities financial support to switch from fortnightly to weekly bin collecting.
I'm befuddled by this one. I can think of an endless lists of things I'd rather see 250 million spent on. Not even the serious necessities, because weekly rubbish collection isn't a necessity, but things like the public libraries, and community halls and activities to combat loneliness at all ages, which is a serious problem.

If people need a weekly rubbish collection they're creating too much rubbish. Reduce, re-use, recycle.

Bev
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 3:47 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm befuddled by this one. I can think of an endless lists of things I'd rather see 250 million spent on. Not even the serious necessities, because weekly rubbish collection isn't a necessity, but things like the public libraries, and community halls and activities to combat loneliness at all ages, which is a serious problem.

If people need a weekly rubbish collection they're creating too much rubbish. Reduce, re-use, recycle.

Bev
I agree - I can't see any snese in rewarding (I think that was the term that was used) councsil that revert to weekly bin collections. We have fortnightly collections and very few people round here seem to have any problem (apart from the one or two lazy arses who never recycle and whose bins are overflowing come collection time). I only put my bin out every 4-6 weeks.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Britain has seen a sharp increase in the number of people unable to afford to feed themselves at the most basic level, thanks to the worsening economic climate and changes to the benefit system, according to a survey by a leading food charity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-food-handouts
Ditto USA (link courtesy of other poster):

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...sey-woods.html

Last edited by johnh009; Oct 2nd 2011 at 7:20 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:26 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Strange how so many are obese if they are "unable to afford to feed themselves at the most basic level" isn't it
Eh?

Cheap foods include spuds and bread. Loads of carbs. You can make endless chips and eat loads of sandwiches. Eating the cheaper foods and little else can make you obese.

Healthier foods include fruit and veg. Or leaner (less fatty) meats. They're more expensive.

Hence a lack of money to feed properly (balanced diet etc) contributes to obesity.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm not sure you have offended anyone but you just seem to dwell on the negatives. We are returning to the UK (hopefully) before the New Year and we aren't blind to it's faults anymore than we are to the faults here. We are also very aware of the many many good points and we tend to look at those as things to look forward to. The things you post about in the UK exist everywhere and are often worse in other countries.
The irony is strong in this one.
Old Oct 3rd 2011, 12:54 am
Banned

Yes it's very annoying isn't it ?

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The irony is strong in this one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.